• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaylorMan

Remember that you can still have significant story characters that are sometimes squad mates but not permanent that may die and still be a big deal. Just because the permanent squad doesn't die in the first game doesn't mean there's nothing big like that.

For sure, yea. But just an odd thing to publicly state; "Squad mates can't die" When the shit hits the fan I want to feel that tension and fear. Now I'm less likely to.

It's meaningless because the question of whether or not programmed intelligence has surpassed living intelligence doesn't necessarily need to carry any real significant actual consequences for existing civilizations. HER is a perfect example of this.

Of course, but that's merely a single example in a single civilization. BioWare isn't writing for one planet and one race, they're writing for an entire galaxy, and the galaxy isn't going to be filled with with friendly passive examples like yours. The life of organics is chaotic and unpredictable. Civilization A in one corner may create a benevolent A.I that's harmless, Civilization B in a different circumstance probably won't. Sooner or later those two will intersect and bad shit will happen.

Which is why I firmly believe you'd have to do some extremely impressive writing gymnastics to say that in Andromeda, a galaxy larger than the Milky Way and filled with intelligent life hasn't had at least one race fuck up and create a machine problem they couldn't fix, whether they have Mass Effect technology or not. You don't just magically overcome the problem of living beings creating other advanced beings to do the tasks they couldn't by escaping the story into another galaxy.

Arguably the majority of modern science fiction is based around or has featured an aspect of this issue. Terminator, Halo, Overwatch, System Shock, Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Battlestar Galatica, Star Trek, etc etc. Trying to avoid it is not an option.

So yes, the topic is important, it is relevant, and I want BioWare to address it in-game, or at least in the Codexs.

diaspora

The Geth were content to chill in servers for the rest of eternity ffs.

Of course, but that's merely a single example in a single civilization. BioWare isn't writing for one planet and one race, they're writing for an entire galaxy, and the galaxy isn't going to be filled with with friendly passive examples like yours. The life of organics is chaotic and unpredictable. Civilization A in one corner may create a benevolent A.I that's harmless, Civilization B in a different circumstance probably won't. Sooner or later those two will intersect and bad shit will happen.

Which is why I firmly believe you'd have to do some extremely impressive writing gymnastics to say that in Andromeda, a galaxy larger than the Milky Way and filled with intelligent life hasn't had at least one race fuck up and create a machine problem they couldn't fix, whether they have Mass Effect technology or not. You don't just magically overcome the problem of living beings creating other advanced beings to do the tasks they couldn't by escaping the story into another galaxy.

Arguably the majority of modern science fiction is based around or has featured an aspect of this issue. Terminator, Halo, Overwatch, System Shock, Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Battlestar Galatica, Star Trek, etc etc. Trying to avoid it is not an option.

So yes, the topic is important, it is relevant, and I want BioWare to address it in-game, or at least in the Codexs.
It requires a greater level of disbelief to assume there needs to even be a story much less a conflict surrounding AI rather than the natural progression of them simply retreating and living in servers for the rest of eternity. Not to mention we're not exploring a new galaxy- not really, only a cluster. Not to mention they're virtually non-existent in the galaxy now despite it being billions of years old.

The Geth were content to chill in servers for the rest of eternity ffs.

Except they weren't? They sure seemed ok with creating and maintaining a series of warships and combat forms to ensure control over their territory and their safety. If "hanging out" undisturbed was truly their main goal they would have done so, beyond the fringes of the Milky Way where no one would touch them.

But instead they fought to control Rannoch and Quarian space, a seemingly irrelevant location for a race of machines capable of existing in servers as you say.

Conflict was guaranteed, machine vs the living. Both sides were in error.

diaspora

Except they weren't? They sure seemed ok with creating and maintaining a series of warships and combat forms to ensure control over their territory and their safety. If "hanging out" undisturbed was truly their main goal they would have done so, beyond the fringes of the Milky Way where no one would touch them.

But instead they fought to control Rannoch and Quarian space, a seemingly irrelevant location for a race of machines capable of existing in servers as you say.

Conflict was guaranteed, machine vs the living. Both sides were in error.
They had no problem merely living in servers, they wouldn't abide by people forcing them down one path or another which the Quarians tried to do. Peace on the side of AIs is both obvious and guaranteed. Every reason given by any piece of media regarding AI aggression has consistently been both illogical and asinine.
Have you seen Black Mirror season 3 episode 4? I'd want to chill in a server for eternity also.
Yep, people turn into AIs and live out the rest of their lives in a computer. No nuclear war, harvesting or anything.

DevilDog

Remember that you can still have significant story characters that are sometimes squad mates but not permanent that may die and still be a big deal. Just because the permanent squad doesn't die in the first game doesn't mean there's nothing big like that.

I think they covered that as well. Still I don't like the idea of having permanent squadmates.

That feeling of being afraid that someone is going to die, and if they do, the thought that they could actually still be there, is quite frankly one of the best things in Mass Effect.

Yep, people turn into AIs and live out the rest of their lives in a computer. No nuclear war, harvesting or anything.
Can we chill out on the spoilers here? I'm trying to get into this series.

They had no problem merely living in servers, they wouldn't abide by people forcing them down one path or another which the Quarians tried to do. Peace on the side of AIs is both obvious and guaranteed.

So they don't want others forcing a destiny upon themselves, but they did choose and continued to maintain a new destiny upon the Quarians. Certainly doesn't seem like the paragon of peacemakers you make them out to be. It also definitely doesn't explain why they needed Quarian worlds or space either.

Dany

Banned
Going to start my Adept Insanity playthrough to kill time. Probably wont do any of the side missions in the first game.

So they don't want others forcing a destiny upon themselves, but they did choose and continued to maintain a new destiny upon the Quarians. Certainly doesn't seem like the paragon of peacemakers you make them out to be. It also definitely doesn't explain why they needed Quarian worlds or space either.

Because if they didn't take them the Quarians would keep trying to wipe them out.

Geth being the counterfactual to the "AI always try to kill their creators" was obvious way back when ME3 first dropped, and it annoyed me endlessly that I couldn't point that out to the Catalyst.

Because if they didn't take them the Quarians would keep trying to wipe them out.
They seemingly kept doing so even without their world so again I fail to see what purpose holding onto to Quarian homeworld and space territory served other than to antagonize and further deepen the rift between the two factions.

But it's all moot anyway because it's possible to kill them off in ME3, whether that be from siding with the Quarians or exacting revenge via the Destroy Ending. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They seemingly kept doing so even without their world so again I fail to see what purpose holding onto to Quarian homeworld and space territory served other than to antagonize and further deepen the rift between the two factions.

But it's all moot anyway because it's possible to kill them off in ME3, whether that be from siding with the Quarians or exacting revenge via the Destroy Ending. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, for one thing, it's a lot harder to wipe somebody out when you're stuck without a planetary infrastructure to draw on. So there's that.

Big Nikus

Has anybody tried to play ME2 and/or 3 with a Steam Controller ? Thinking of buying one, and I figure the right trackpad + gyro would do wonders for me in ME3 multi, if it works with the Origin version.

SaylorMan

Season 3 Black Mirror spoiler below:

Yep, people turn into AIs and live out the rest of their lives in a computer. No nuclear war, harvesting or anything

@diaspora, spoilers aren't cool man.

Seeing as this game no longer has a strict class system do you guys think we'll be able to use abilities like Sentinel Armor and Vanguard Charge at the same time? Excited to see this gameplay trailer, hopes its more than 2 minutes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BioWare reduced the intrigue and complexities within exploring artificial versus organic intelligence to dumb, contradictory, childish bunk.

BioWare reduced the intrigue and complexities within exploring artificial versus organic intelligence to dumb, contradictory, childish bunk.

ExceptME1 was the most simplistic; ME1 had the implacable enemy Geth who were for some reason religious, ME2 gave us Legion, ME3 gave us the Geth side of the story of their rebellion. It's ME3's ending that's the problem, which honestly you can pretty easily file under "the Catalyst is just insane."

diaspora

ExceptME1 was the most simplistic; ME1 had the implacable enemy Geth who were for some reason religious, ME2 gave us Legion, ME3 gave us the Geth side of the story of their rebellion. It's ME3's ending that's the problem, which honestly you can pretty easily file under "the Catalyst is just insane."

I agree but I think he's saying that the series as a whole kinda did a shit job with the singularity conceptually.

I agree but I think he's saying that the series as a whole kinda did a shit job with the singularity conceptually.

I guess? The singularity as a concept might not pan out, seeing as Moore's Law seems to be breaking down. ME not really addressing it directly, as such, isn't so odd.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My disappointment is how the trilogy reduced the Geth to a Pinochio story. Singularity or otherwise, the Geth by nature are truly alien and while ME2 steers their narrative in an interesting direction, ME3 turns it back around. Beyond the Geth the concept of inevitable-organic-synthetic-conflict is never really explored in the way ME3 tries to enforce. It's not convincing and the arguments are weak, made redundant in its own arc. Instead of extrapolating on the nuances and deepening the discussion, ME3 scales it back like folding your arms and going "no this is how it is now and that's that".

Probably a lot of PC players here but do you guys think they'll adopt the BF1 approach to variable resolution on consoles where it changes based on system load? I was really impressed with the way it worked on my XB1.

Obviously it's Bioware's modified version of Frostbite but I think if they took the same approach to Andromeda it could look pretty stunning.

Melchiah

The subject has surfaced outside of fiction as well.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540
Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind

Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence.

He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

Prof Hawking says the primitive forms of artificial intelligence developed so far have already proved very useful, but he fears the consequences of creating something that can match or surpass humans.

"It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate," he said.

"Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded."

DevilDog

Probably a lot of PC players here but do you guys think they'll adopt the BF1 approach to variable resolution on consoles where it changes based on system load? I was really impressed with the way it worked on my XB1.

Obviously it's Bioware's modified version of Frostbite but I think if they took the same approach to Andromeda it could look pretty stunning.

One of the good things about Frostbite is that each studio can keep adding on it, and the other studios can benefit from the progress the other ones make.

I think that this isn't true however, not to the extent that they want you to believe, so I really don't know.

DOWN

Banned

That's typical in an FPS but not in a TPS

Renekton

My disappointment is how the trilogy reduced the Geth to a Pinochio story. Singularity or otherwise, the Geth by nature are truly alien and while ME2 steers their narrative in an interesting direction, ME3 turns it back around. Beyond the Geth the concept of inevitable-organic-synthetic-conflict is never really explored in the way ME3 tries to enforce. It's not convincing and the arguments are weak, made redundant in its own arc. Instead of extrapolating on the nuances and deepening the discussion, ME3 scales it back like folding your arms and going "no this is how it is now and that's that".
It is possible the Geth arc ran out of potential after A House Divided. What else could writers do with predictably hyper-rational AI? They already did self-determination and humanized them with politics (House Divided).

ME1 playthrough CONTINUES!

qVWFFxM.gif

You can TASTE the worldbuilding.

And now I'm poking pyjaks on another world, and you know it's another world because the 2 ground textures are different colors now. Clearly the best game in the series.

edit: Oh hey it's that mine again!

edit2: and then I died during the geth ambush so naturally it reloads to my last save which was when I first landed on this goddamn rock. How this game sold me on the series I'll never know.

Mindlog

Back addicted to ME3 multiplayer again whew
I was N7 ~150 throughout most of my time with the game.

Then sometime after the last DLC I decided to go ahead and get Best of the Best.
My final rating is somewhere around N7 2100. Soloed Platinum more times than I soloed Gold.

Damn those were good times.

Dany

Banned
ME1 playthrough CONTINUES!

qVWFFxM.gif

You can TASTE the worldbuilding.

And now I'm poking pyjaks on another world, and you know it's another world because the 2 ground textures are different colors now. Clearly the best game in the series.

edit: Oh hey it's that mine again!

edit2: and then I died during the geth ambush so naturally it reloads to my last save which was when I first landed on this goddamn rock. How this game sold me on the series I'll never know.
Haha. I feel that. This game is so archaic in so many was. I don't know how I managed to play it over a bazillion times.

There are so many memorable moments in the game.

Haha. I feel that. This game is so archaic in so many was. I don't know how I managed to play it over a bazillion times.

There are so many memorable moments in the game.

There are, it's true. The writing really is pretty good, but so many parts of it are AWFUL.

No idea, but doing all that shit in ME1 was better than shooting geth clone #111111203954

Ugh, maybe. The gunplay has... improved... since I got worthwhile weapons and leveled up. The squad AI's weird aversion to cover means that it's mostly about opening up opportunities to just repeatedly drill in rounds rather than having actual gunfights, though. That mostly just results in my party getting picked apart. So I'm happier (as opposed to happy) with the combat. Meanwhile the planets are all nigh-identical mountains landscapes with largely irrelevant fetch quests that I'm powering through because I need every paragon point I can lay my hands on for 2.

DevilDog

Ugh, maybe. The gunplay has... improved... since I got worthwhile weapons and leveled up. The squad AI's weird aversion to cover means that it's mostly about opening up opportunities to just repeatedly drill in rounds rather than having actual gunfights, though. That mostly just results in my party getting picked apart. So I'm happier (as opposed to happy) with the combat. Meanwhile the planets are all nigh-identical mountains landscapes with largely irrelevant fetch quests that I'm powering through because I need every paragon point I can lay my hands on for 2.

Wanna hear something lame? You have to actually order your teammates into cover, and if you're not on PC, forget about giving individual order to teammates. Thankfully that came to consoles in 2.

Also shame on you for hating the monkey planet, that was the best. After almost wiping all of their "civilization" you can bet they will be worshiping the God "Mako" in the next cycle :p

diaspora

There are, it's true. The writing really is pretty good, but so many parts of it are AWFUL.

ME1 is a situation where there was nothing like it even though the game itself was shit. It's unique even if poorly made and designed.

Wanna hear something lame? You have to actually order your teammates into cover, and if you're not on PC, forget about giving individual order to teammates. Thankfully that came to consoles in 2.

Also shame on you for hating the monkey planet, that was the best. After almost wiping all of their "civilization" you can bet they will be worshiping the God "Mako" in the next cycle :p

Damn, consoles got screwed on that. I was trying to push them around earlier, even the controls that ARE there barely work. ME2 was such an improvement on that front.

I tried running them over and nothing happened... maybe after I finish the quest.

ME1 is a situation where there was nothing like it even though the game itself was shit. It's unique even if poorly made and designed.

That's true.

Planets are generally barren dust pits with different color dust and weather tho right

Mars has more going on than this

And dust pits would be a step up from these ridiculous mountains. Getting from point A to B is simultaneously dull and obnoxious, since you can get like 90% of the way there just pushing the thumbstick towards the marker, but you still have to be paying enough attention to be sure the Mako doesn't get stuck on a particularly steep slope.

Belated but since we're on the topic of ME1, today was the launch of Mass Effect 9 years ago. Doesn't feel like that long but it does bring back memories of alI the precious youth I spent playing the game instead studying in High School. Worth.

DevilDog

Remember when we saw this view for the first time?

latest

People living upside down, and to think that the whole thing is rotating...

Patryn

Belated but since we're on the topic of ME1, today was the launch of Mass Effect 9 years ago. Doesn't feel like that long but it does bring back memories of alI the precious youth I spent playing the game instead studying in High School. Worth.

It may be the launch day, but it makes me remember that Mass Effect was actually one of the impetuses for me to actually register on GAF, because it was here I learned that K-Mart was breaking the street date for the game a couple weeks early.

I saw the thread on a Saturday morning, rushed to my local K-Mart, saw the game out, got the person to open the case, and then waited the excruciatingly long time it took them to walk it to the register and ring it up, while they looked over the case and asked about what sort of game it was, thankfully either not noticing or not caring about the bright orange DO NOT SELL UNTIL 11/20 sticker at the top of the case.

Had a lot of fun that day.

I want that Limited Edition art book so badly, but I'm about to drop a bunch of money on a new PC, and Xmas is around the corner... Gotta be strong :p

DOWN

Banned
Y'all getting me emotional

Got Mass Effect Limited Edition on day one. This trailer set the tone way back in 2006 and I was waiting impatiently for the game nonstop https://youtu.be/3Li2MIGxOww

Something moody and neon about it that the game really had. Sequels went more rock out shooter with gritty people everywhere in many ways, but were still great. The first one was unusual in style at the time and still has beautiful atmosphere.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I didn't play Mass Effect until ME2 had just launched.... then I played them back to back, it was probably the most magical ~60 hours of gaming I've had in my life, ever.

Nothing beats that first run... Wrex didn't make it and half my crew died on the suicide run...but it I didn't know any better, so good.

Subitai

I didn't play Mass Effect until ME2 had just launched.... then I played them back to back, it was probably the most magical ~60 hours of gaming I've had in my life, ever.

Nothing beats that first run... Wrex didn't make it and half my crew died on the suicide run...but it I didn't know any better, so good.
Sort of same for me. I didn't really start the series until 4 months before ME2, and I bought all the ME1 DLC and managed to get 1 maleshep and 2 femshep runs in beforehand.

Ralemont

not me

Did you stick to your first run for ME3?

I went back and did a perfect ME1-2 to prep for 3 and kinda regret it. Wrex survived ME1 in my first save but Thane (not a big deal) and Legion (BIG DEAL) died on my Suicide Mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom