• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Medium - How our Dual Reality system works

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Are you curious how our Dual Reality system works? Do you wonder how you will play in both the real and the spirit world? Here is our short Premonition video - a quick guide explaining how you will experience both realities at the same time.

Discover a dark mystery only a medium can solve. Explore the real world and the spirit world at the same time. Use your psychic abilities to solve puzzles spanning both worlds, uncover deeply disturbing secrets, and survive encounters with The Maw - a monster born from an unspeakable tragedy.

Coming December 10th to PC, Xbox Series X & Series S. Available now for pre-order!

Boneyblaff

Looks neat! I definitely was getting an old school horror vibe from the music and the camera's perspective in the gameplay. I'm a big, ol' coward, but I can see myself giving this a try.

teezzy

Banned
This reminds me so much of sixth gen survival horror titles. It's so cool to me

I really hope Microsoft butters up Bloober Team and gets them equipped with a proper budget moving forward. These dudes honestly could be their next secret weapon with enough finance behind 'em

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I'm sure there will be some nice puzzles involving both worlds. Would like to see some combat since I they've already confirmed she can use her powers to fight back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

linkroi

The dual reality seems really interesting, i hope there will be good puzzle - link to that feature. I like the atmosphere, reminds me of Silent Hill, not day one but i am interested !

I wonder how the battle system will work...

Last edited:

Arachnid

Those Silent Hill vibes are giving me the tingles. This is literally the only reason I want an XSX at launch. Demon Souls is literally the only reason I want a PS5 at launch.

Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: Also, seeing that SH/RE1 style map nearly made me nut.

Last edited:
Interesting concept and execution. I could see a choose your own adventure sort of game developed with this tech e.g. only one of 4 screens you play simultaneously keeps your protagonist alive and progress the scene/story in real time. Repeat playthroughs could be wildly different this way. Shit you could even dynamically tie that to multiplayer in a shared world where each player/scene you encounter locks out and opens different areas and players.

Great use of the extra power of next gen, I'll grab this one just to support that sort of creativity in game development.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Looks great still don't know how Microsoft has not purchased this studio so they can get proper budgets. This concept has so much potential I hope they nail it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm not into horror games but this game reminds me of eternal darkness and I'm kinda stoked for it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This is why I don't get the "Xbox has no gaems!11!11" shenanigans... Isn't this literally an exclusive title? Yeah, it's comming to PC, but I mean, that's the less convenient platform for most people due to setup complexity and price

Armorian

Banned
I wonder how it will look on UW monitor in PC version, I hope they don't fuck it up. I completed Layers of Fear yesterday, solid game with great art direction and interesting story telling.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It won’t win next-gen visuals awards (although the alternate reality looks quite good), but maybe some of us are throwing the baby out with the bathwater, with that mindset.

This is a cool looking Day 1 (? Or close) exclusive, that’s trying things we haven’t seen in a while in gaming, with a really cool theme, and music from one of the best gaming composers ever in this hobby. I’ve definitely got my eye on it.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Is this full or exclusive or timed? I can't keep track these days

I thought I read it was timed I could be wrong tho.

martino

this video was needed to make this game relevant for me again.
for one showing only symmetrical was a big nono.

ZywyPL

Banned
I really like the idea of paralel dimensions, doing stuff in the other dimension and seeing its consequences in the real worlds in real time, that's something really refreshing. Although the gameplay reminds me a bit of Beyond: Two souls, but I didn't like the supernatural elements in that title, it just didn't fit the game/genre there IMO.

Vawn

Banned
I wish this was a launch game. I'm getting my Series X two weeks before my PS5 will be in. By the time this releases, I'll be balls deep in Demon's Souls.

FunkMiller

This does look interesting. Definitely going to check it out on Steam. Maybe not straight away, but it’s definitely on my list 👍

So it's basically two instances of the engine running at the same time for each dimension and you can access either or both based on the scenario. That could be really cool.

It's similar to this mansion in Dishonored 2, where the mansion exists both in the present and 3 years in the past. You hold this time machine with crystals that let you see the other timeline which has it's own NPCs, changes to room layouts, and at the start the current day mansion is completely destroyed blocking off entire areas. Changes you make in the past alter the present day mansion. You can also instantly move between timelines, so if you wanted to take out a guard you could position yourself behind him using the crystal to see him, move into the other timeline, kill him and "vanish" back into the other timeline without being seen. In the area the game is essentially running twice, and using the tool to view the other time cut double digit numbers off my max framerates so I can see 60fps in the Medium being a hard target to reach. It was a really well designed part of the game and I'm interested to see what kind of ideas Bloober came up.
WTMh8fz.jpg

jhmJDuq.jpg

Last edited:

GrayChild

Already preordered on Steam.

It's not a full-priced title anyways, and the bonus soundtrack and artbook will be worth it.

Titanfall 2 did a good job using this concept in an FPS. Essentially switching back in forth mid gunfight allowing for some pretty unique/fun gameplay.

Top Bottom