• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

BOTEC

gotta get into printing your own covers bro. not that much of a hassle/expense and you end up looking slick as fuck to your favorite lady.

I see what you did there.

My biggest gripe is with that seemingly OCD need companies have to edit the original covers. I'm fairly sure that the people who look on the shelf at a game box with the title "Akai Katana" already know what to expect. They can also just as easily flip it around to see the screenshots and descriptive text. Photoshopping little planes into the background doesn't help anyone otherwise uninterested in the game become drawn to it somehow. And on the flip side it pisses me, their target demographic, off. I just can't understand it.

Tain

Much as I love everything about the original Mushihimesama, if Espgaluda gets the HD treatment I'll be one step closer to dying a happy man :p

Espgaluda with high res sprites would be cool, but I don't see them doing it. Different hardware, twice the vertical resolution of their SH3 games.

I find the prospects of "region free" unlikely right now. With Rising Star Games expanding to the US, and seeming to have interest in all of Cave's major titles, I bet Cave region locks everything from here on. Then they have something to strike localization deals with...

we can hope...cant we?

Himself

we can hope...cant we?

What I'm hoping for is that Rising Star brings as many Cave games overseas as possible.

With DD being the future, I'm assuming that at some point within the next 5 years all of Cave's games will be available for way cheaper than they are now. I won't be paying for any more expensive imports.

In case anyone was wondering about what the in-game modes will be called in the western version of Akai Katana, torisu has this to say:

torisuRSG said:
The game modes are Slash, Origin and Climax.

Origin or 'arcade' - a "faithful port" of the arcade with the same scoring system.

Slash or 'shin' - 16:9, exclusive to the Xbox 360, new stage and boss, different scoring system to the arcade.

Climax or 'zetsu' - 16:9, includes stage from Slash (or shin), no scoring limit, various 'tweaks' and differences, the "complete vision" of the arcade game.

torisu

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm still curious where ESPrade is... I recall Cave saying something about licensing issues with Atlus or something... but that's bullshit, cuz we got Guwange, which was also Atlus-published...

Might have to just buy the PCB for that one...

Would any be so kind and tell me Cave games being region-free and/or released in PAL (I know Akai Katana is incoming).

Also, and SHMUPS on Steam apart from Jamestown (I don't want Gundemonium)?

I'm trying to get into SHMUPs as a new genre (while waiting for DJ Max Technika for Vita), and I was thinking how should I do it. I guess practice, practice, practice until I can 1CC, correct? iPhone games are good for that? Any advice for a newbie?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
ESPGaluda 2, Mushihimesama Futari, MMP / Pink Sweets are region free. DDP Resurrection PAL version is PAL / NA.

Not positive but I'm assuming Deathsmiles got a PAL release and DS2 is on EU XBL as well.

Death Smiles 1 did get a PAL release, but right now DS2 is JP/NA Games on Demand only.

I would recommend starting with one of Cave's easier games if you're new to the genre, so Mushihime-sama Futari (Original mode), Futari Black Label (Original and Maniac), Muchi Muchi Pork, or Death Smiles (mixed rank) would be good choices. Espgaluda 1 is good as well, but that's not on the 360 (just PS2/MAME). Personally, I'd go with Futari since that's the game of the forever.

Of course, practice is the most important thing you can do, but it's also very helpful to watch videos to see if you can pick up some new tricks and strategies. And make use of the training modes, they significantly speed up the learning process.

So I grabbed DoDonPachi Maximum from the WP Marketplace today.

The game is "diferent", your ship in inside a simulador, so all enemies are like blueprints. I found out hard to see them on screen. Bullets stand out, at least.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

catmincer

Will do. I am excited, I haven't played a shooter for years! Last one would have been Ikaruga.

On a Cave related note, I bought DDP Max for Windows Phone. Can barely get past the 1st level :O

Kola

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a good TFT monitor for playing shmups (especially Cave shooters) in tate-mode?

I'm looking for a monitor (IPS panel) which has a pivot-function (turn 90 degrees), at least one HDMI-input (2 would be better, 1x DVI/1x HDMI would be fine as well) and a headphone output. At least 20-24 inches. No more than 350 USD if possible.

Any ideas? The range of offers out there is huge, but nothing fits really perfectly so far. Thanks in advance.

Llyranor

It's probably been asked to death but, what are some good shooters to get on XBLA?

Cave:
- Guwange
- (Deathsmiles II if you're good for GamesOnDemand)

Treasure:
- Ikaruga
- Radiant Silvergun

G.Rev:
- Strania (people love it, but I only played the demo)

Natsume:
- Omega Five (though it's dual-stick)

I think those are the better ones.

Kola

Damn, would cost me 300 Euro (400 USD) here. :( I think I would have problems connecting the 360 anyway since there is no HDMI, or is there a way to connect the 360 to the display-port with an adapter and receive sound via headphones from the monitor? (the DVI-port would be reserved for my iMac)

Any other recommendations? (your help is really appreciated!)
One of these (http://amzn.com/B0030CGMAC) and one of these (http://amzn.com/B0018MI5F6) should do the trick.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a good TFT monitor for playing shmups (especially Cave shooters) in tate-mode?

I'm looking for a monitor (IPS panel) which has a pivot-function (turn 90 degrees), at least one HDMI-input (2 would be better, 1x DVI/1x HDMI would be fine as well) and a headphone output. At least 20-24 inches. No more than 350 USD if possible.

Any ideas? The range of offers out there is huge, but nothing fits really perfectly so far. Thanks in advance.

This is what I've been using since Christmas: ASUS PA238Q

Comes with a stand that lets the monitor rotate and pivot, has DVI, HDMI, VGA, and DP ports, has nice image quality, and most importantly, it only has around half a frame of input lag, so it's one of the best HD displays for games that require precise timing (shooters, fighting games, rhythm, etc.).

Comes with a stand that lets the monitor rotate and pivot, has DVI, HDMI, VGA, and DP ports, has nice image quality, and most importantly, it only has around half a frame of input lag, so it's one of the best HD displays for games that require precise timing (shooters, fighting games, rhythm, etc.).
What. When did they start making IPS panels that fast?!

I JUST BOUGHT THAT NEC FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS.

Ah ok! So the 360 could use the DVI-port (we need these adapters, because DVI does not transmit audio like HDMI, is that the reason?) and my iMac the display-port.

Do you have any other recommendations for a monitor which suits my setup? Yours is fine, but a bit expensive here in Europe. :(
I was suggesting that your Mac could use the DVI port and the 360 would use the VGA port with the RCA adapter.

iconoclast's looks like it might be more up your alley though, although it's still shipping from the US.

Kola

Are you satisfied with the lighting of the screen? If you take a look at reviews online it does not receive the best ratings. But perhaps they just send out alot of flawed ones and you were lucky? Does it have a headphone jack?

Yes Boss!

Wow, that one is cool! I'm ordering. I'm using the Evo Asus right now and love, love, love it but I have to leave that one in the middle east when I return in a few months.

Are you satisfied with the lighting of the screen? If you take a look at reviews online it does not receive the best ratings. But perhaps they just send out alot of flawed ones and you were lucky? Does it have a headphone jack?

It does have some backlight bleeding on the lower right edge of the screen, but it doesn't bother me at all since I only notice it when it's against pure black. YMMV though if you're sensitive about that.

It has a 3.5mm audio jack as well.

Tobe

one guestion guys, i have an asus vh236h (evo monitor) does anybody know if i can play in vertical mode with my monitor?

one guestion guys, i have an asus vh236h (evo monitor) does anybody know if i can play in vertical mode with my monitor?

It's a game-specific feature, not a monitor-specific one. If the game supports Tate, find a way to prop the monitor sideways.

If you're asking whether it has a swivel mount, no it does not.

Tobe

It's a game-specific feature, not a monitor-specific one. If the game supports Tate, find a way to prop the monitor sideways.

If you're asking whether it has a swivel mount, no it does not.

maybe i shouldve explain myself a little better, what am asking is if it has no issues like having bad viewing angles or something like that.

Yes Boss!

maybe i shouldve explain myself a little better, what am asking is if it has no issues like having bad viewing angles or something like that.

Yeah, no viewing angle problems with EVO flipped vertically. Just gotta take off the stand and prop it against the wall. Your field of view is even smaller when it is rotated. I've got mine flipped vertical currently for UD.

raiot

Spadgy posted this on the shmups.system11.org board:

CAVE Interactive Co., Ltd. (located in Tokyo, CEO: Masahito Ito, JASDAQ Stock Code: 3760) is proud to announce that the latest release, “Dodonpachi Resurrection HD” will be available for download for iPhone/iPad 2 on App Store across the world on March 15, 2012.

A legendary manic shooter and a popular game on iPhone/iPod touch,
“Dodonpachi Resurrection” returns in HD!
Experience the storm of bullets in high-def!
Will you be able to defeat the merciless killing machine Hibachi!?

App Store (Retail version): http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id488666118?mt=8&ls=1
App Store (Lite version): http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id490008837?mt=8&ls=1

- “Dodonpachi Resurrection”
“Dodonpachi Resurrection" is a sequel of our popular manic shooter “Dodonpachi Blissful Death”, an arcade game first released in 2008.
Without altering the basic structure of the original title, the series’ latest features tougher enemies and new counter weapons much to fans’ delight.

In celebration of the release of
“Dodonpachi Resurrection HD”
*For a special price of $10.99 for 4 days only!*

To celebrate the release of “Dodonpachi Resurrection HD”, the title along with an already popular title on App Store, “Espgaluda II HD (full version)” will both be on sale for a limited period of 4 days only!
For 4 days from March 15, 2012 to March 18, 2012,
The titles, normally sold for $13.99,
will be on sale for a special price of $10.99!

http://www.cave.co.jp/news/20120309daihukkatsu/

DDP Resurrection HD Incoming! Why can't they add iCade support for the HD only releases?? :(

japtor

Spadgy posted this on the shmups.system11.org board:

http://www.cave.co.jp/news/20120309daihukkatsu/

DDP Resurrection HD Incoming! Why can't they add iCade support for the HD only releases?? :(
Looking at the PR page...oh shit it's a universal* HD release, finally won't look all blurry on the iPhone retina display! I'm not sure but I think it says Espgaluda II is going universal* too.

*but not iPad and iPod touch, presumably cause they have 256MB RAM.

The "Evo monitor" is a TN, so I imagine there are some viewing angle issues. No way to know how bad unless you try it.

I'd be more worried about whether it can vent properly while rotated, personally.

Top Bottom