• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

I played the Akai Katana demo again and gave it another chance. I think I'm liking it better than when I first played it. Initial impressions where pretty "meh" but I'm starting to appreciate it for what it is. Gotta love saving up swords and shooting them at bosses for maximum damage.

I still like the arcade/zetsu scoring system more than the shin system - which seems convoluted for the purpose of being convoluted. Bullet-bouncing is just way more fun and intuitive to me.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I played the Akai Katana demo again and gave it another chance. I think I'm liking it better than when I first played it. Initial impressions where pretty "meh" but I'm starting to appreciate it for what it is. Gotta love saving up swords and shooting them at bosses for maximum damage.

Is there a way to dl the demo without a jpn 360, like we did for RE5 or RFA?

Also, about Raiden Fighter Aces (not Cave of course) PAL, which was supposed to come out in a few days, I just received a mail from Amazon.de (which was the only region where the game is supposedly releasing) saying the date is now June 6th.
Problem is the we know the publisher is going down and under controlled administration, although they did say every announced game was still going to come out like they did for Awesomenauts.
But you know, the RFA PAL has been on limbo for 4 years now with 4 change of publishers... Lol.

SOME-MIST

I know I'm probably in the small minority (or the only one), but akai katana has been by far my favorite cave shmup port this gen. It's a bit easy, but the scoring and mechanics are a lot of fun.. I've primarily stuck to the arcade mode too.

a 1CC only took me around 50 hours or so (I'm not that great lol), and even after the game still holds my interest. I've still yet to dive into shin and zetsu mode.

Also, about Raiden Fighter Aces (not Cave of course) PAL, which was supposed to come out in a few days, I just received a mail from Amazon.de (which was the only region where the game is supposedly releasing) saying the date is now June 6th.
Problem is the we know the publisher is going down and under controlled administration, although they did say every announced game was still going to come out like they did for Awesomenauts.
But you know, the RFA PAL has been on limbo for 4 years now with 4 change of publishers... Lol.

The Akai Katana Shin demo on the Japanese marketplace isn't region locked at all. It's simply a matter of having a Japanese gamertag and downloading it.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
shin mode is the best thing about akai katana.

otherwise you just have anime people who have bullets/gold spinning around them, at least in shin you get some big-ass swords to offset your cool plane turning into anime.

BOTEC

Welcome to Raiden Fighters console release saga, part IX. That game was originally supposed to be a Saturn disc. Yeah.

Vert boil

SDOJ was 180000-190000 ¥ depending where you bought them, ~2300$.

Cave are making up another batch of kits due to high demand. They should be available next week.

Zeth

Do you have got MMP/Pink Sweets? It's not easy to find though and pretty expensive too. I think I won't ever buy it. At least not in the near future.

Ah yes, I actually have no desire to get that one at the moment but I'm sure I'll bite eventually. Kinda pricey too, for sure.

That's a shame, MMP is probably my favorite of all the Cave games playable on 360. I was almost considering getting back into owning arcade PCBs just for it before the port was announced.

Tain

It really does suck that MMP is so expensive. It's probably my favorite disc, so I recommend it all the time without even thinking about price.

hipgnosis

I really recommend Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets too. Such an awesome package. My favorite release after Futari.

Never seen a game as extreme as Pink Sweets. Shit is genious.

Anyone have any clue why the latest DDP is iOS exclusive and no 360 release?

Watching a bit of it I was in shock, I just thought it was going to be another retread but damn, I came away impressed. I must have it for 360!

Also, this is a total noob question but can I download it to my iPod touch? I have zero interest in an iPhone outside of Cave releases and already have a new touch...

Anyone have any clue why the latest DDP is iOS exclusive and no 360 release?

Watching a bit of it I was in shock, I just thought it was going to be another retread but damn, I came away impressed. I must have it for 360!

The latest Dodobpachi (Saidaiojou) is arcade only so far but if you´re talking about DDP Maximum I don´t really agree about being very impressive. Looks okay for a phone game but far from their arcade games in quality.

DDP Maximum is only for Windows Phones and would not work on Ipod (or Iphone)

SOME-MIST

I feel indifferent about MMP/PS. I don't really like the "themes", but the gameplay is pretty fun. I've spent a lot more time with MMP than PS tho...mainly due to difficulty and attempting to 1CC the 1st loop of MMP.

I feel it's worth it (for me) to have it as a collector's item, but I really sink more time into futari, akai katana, and all of the dodonpachi installments.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The latest Dodobpachi (Saidaiojou) is arcade only so far but if you´re talking about DDP Maximum I don´t really agree about being very impressive. Looks okay for a phone game but far from their arcade games in quality.

DDP Maximum is only for Windows Phones and would not work on Ipod (or Iphone)

I think is talking about Blissful Death. Which obviously is on 360 (exclusive to JPN, the infamous Dai-Ou-Jou/BL Extra 5pb's port).

Thanks for the tips, will download Katana demo asap.
Also lol at RFA being planned for Saturn, I knew it was supposed to be on Xbox1 but this is even more ridiculous.

What exactly is the deal with this and the Black Label? DLC? It is kind of confusing.

Yes the Black Label is DLC. In japan there is also a disc version of black label that includes the "Ketsuipachi" mode that uses a ketsui like scoring system and the ship/copter from ketsui.
That mode is only avaliable on this region locked disc.

I feel indifferent about MMP/PS. I don't really like the "themes", but the gameplay is pretty fun. I've spent a lot more time with MMP than PS tho...mainly due to difficulty and attempting to 1CC the 1st loop of MMP.

I feel it's worth it (for me) to have it as a collector's item, but I really sink more time into futari, akai katana, and all of the dodonpachi installments.

Have you played Pink Sweets Arrange much?

That's definitely my favorite arrange mode of all the 360 ports. It's very simple, just aim at spots with lots of enemies to fire your rose cracker, jack the multiplier up to x64 and chain from there. Many more advanced strategies as well for people that put the time in.

Double post time!

Dan76 posted this up at shmups about the Akai Katana NA/EU release:

Just to let you know, the 4:3 screen issue has been fixed for this release. Get your crt's out!

Nice one RSG, pretty damn good manual as well.

Gotta say I'm pretty surprised there.

Is someone making an OP for Akai Katana? We are almost a week out. I would but I'm gonna be pretty slammed this month at work.

That's definitely my favorite arrange mode of all the 360 ports. It's very simple, just aim at spots with lots of enemies to fire your rose cracker, jack the multiplier up to x64 and chain from there. Many more advanced strategies as well for people that put the time in.

Mine too. Which is weird because I hate vanilla Pink Sweets.

SOME-MIST

Have you played Pink Sweets Arrange much?

I've put very minimal time into the arrange mode. I usually have a problem with the yagawa rank system, since I'm used to just maxing out ASAP and playing for score/survival. Adding that third dimension sorta throws me off.

The first yagawa game that I've been attempting to 1-ALL is ketsui, but I've been stuck on stage 4 forever. I was going to try and do that with battle garegga too, but I honestly think ketsui will be my best shot. I just think pink sweets shooting system is my least favorite among the bunch and it hasn't really grabbed me like his other titles.

I've put very minimal time into the arrange mode. I usually have a problem with the yagawa rank system, since I'm used to just maxing out ASAP and playing for score/survival. Adding that third dimension sorta throws me off.

The first yagawa game that I've been attempting to 1-ALL is ketsui, but I've been stuck on stage 4 forever. I was going to try and do that with battle garegga too, but I honestly think ketsui will be my best shot. I just think pink sweets shooting system is my least favorite among the bunch and it hasn't really grabbed me like his other titles.

Just FYI, Ketsui is not a Yagawa game. It's technically an Ikeda game, but in the CAVE 15th anniversary Arcadia issue, Ikeda made it clear that it was pretty much entirely created by Ichimura who is one of CAVE's core programmers (along with Inoue) and responsible for a lot of bullet pattern/boss fights.

Ketsui is indeed a bear on Stage 4. As a whole it's "the one that got away" for me, and I've never been able to 1CC it.

Pink Sweets Arrange has no rank system. It's basically a Dodonpachi game crossed with Battle Bakraid. Again, highly recommended.

SOME-MIST

Oh dang, thanks for the clarification. I guess it just felt like a yagawa game. I'll check out the ps arrange mode next week and report back.

Aselith

Which Cave shooters can I play on a US 360? I have Deathsmiles and DoDonPachi Resurrection. Any others that would work on it?

Which Cave shooters can I play on a US 360? I have Deathsmiles and DoDonPachi Resurrection. Any others that would work on it?

As far as domestic releases go, you can buy Deathsmiles 2 via Xbox Live. It's $30 and only available as a download. And just in case you didn't know, Akai Katana releases in the US next week.

Oh. Totally forgot. Guwange is available through XBLA.

If you don't mind importing, there are a few that are region free.
- Mushihimesama Futari
- Espgaluda II
- Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets double pack.

Futari and Espgaluda were reprinted as Platinum Hits, so you can find them for reasonable prices. However, last time I looked for the double pack it wasn't exactly affordable.

Aselith

As far as domestic releases go, you can buy Deathsmiles 2 via Xbox Live. It's $30 and only available as a download. And just in case you didn't know, Akai Katana releases in the US next week.

Oh. Totally forgot. Guwange is available through XBLA.

If you don't mind importing, there are a few that are region free.
- Mushihimesama Futari
- Espgaluda II
- Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets double pack.

Futari and Espgaluda were reprinted as Platinum Hits, so you can find them for reasonable prices. However, last time I looked for the double pack it wasn't exactly affordable.

Cool thanks!

Top Bottom