• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

13323430_230411034011467_945448600305862492_o.jpg

just a tip for black metal fans on the west coast. Will be there.

here's the event page.

niemant77

Neo Member
Hey Metal-Gaf,

I need some recommendations please, need to unwind from some shit and whats better than heavy music for that
What I love:
Trivium
Amorphis
Metallica
Deafheaven
Nachtmystium
Mastodon
Queens of the Stone Age
Volbeat
Motörhead
Drudkh

Thanks!!!

Melchiah

Not sure if I'll like the next one myself. Kind of lapsed into my typical dismissive inattentive mood once I moved on it. The riffs of the album were really memorable, of most.

It's all preference

With Hearts Towards None didn't grab me when it was all the rage that year, whereas Exercises in Futility hooked me.

Yeah, I'm definitely in the minority in my circles, when it comes to finding it a disappointing follow-up.

Ravager61

Yeah, I'm definitely in the minority in my circles, when it comes to finding it a disappointing follow-up.

Groza > With Hearts Toward None > Exercises in Futility. All of them are good though.

just a tip for black metal fans on the west coast. Will be there.

here's the event page.

Would totally go to this... if I lived on the west coast. I really love the Black Twilight stuff, Arizmenda in particular. That split album they put out last year, Desert Dances and Serpent Summons was killer.

Blackheim

The new Nails album is fucking brutal and great, just gotta pretend the lyrics are just guttural screams and grunts cause if I actually listen to them it makes me titter.

Just bought tickets to Ne Obliviscaris, Black Crown Initiate and Starkill. Should be a fucking great show.

Hey Metal-Gaf,

I need some recommendations please, need to unwind from some shit and whats better than heavy music for that
Thanks!!!

Some stuff from different genres for you to try out.

Gwar - Gwar shouldn't need an introduction
Metalucifer - Japanese Thrash
Abigail - Japanese Thrash. make sure you read the lyrics.
Finntroll - Finnish "Troll" (Folk) Metal
Enslaved - Viking/Black Metal
Devin Townsend - Perfection
Mercyful Fate - One of the bigger influences for Metallica
Sonata Arctica - Power Metal
Nightwish - Symphonic Power Metal. This song is a "fuck you" to their first singer.
Death - No other death metal song is as good as this one.

Hey Metal-Gaf,

What I love:
Trivium
Amorphis
Metallica
Deafheaven
Nachtmystium
Mastodon
Queens of the Stone Age
Volbeat
Motörhead
Drudkh

Thanks!!!

Horrendous deserves to be on that list. Actually came to post that they just announced they're touring for the first time with Tribulation.

choodi

Banned
So, I've been on a massive Septicflesh kick all day and it has only reinforced my opinion that Revolution DNA is still their best album.

As good as the rest of their catalogue is, I just can't go past that album. I know this is probably not a popular opinion and some will probably call me crazy, but go and listen to songs like Science, Nephilim Sons and Little Music Box and tell me they aren't their best work.

lordxar

When I clicked play on this...I just knew it was my jam. This is straight up angry as fuck thrash in the vein of Destruction. Nothing against other chick bands but this is how you do it. Come in with some hard ass music and own that shit.

569365.jpg

Tankard

Hey Metal-Gaf,

What I love:
Trivium
Amorphis
Metallica
Deafheaven
Nachtmystium
Mastodon
Queens of the Stone Age
Volbeat
Motörhead
Drudkh

Thanks!!!

Sounds like you might enjoy bands like Monster Truck and Baroness too.

Not metal (but who cares) if FLAG is coming near you I strongly recommend attending

Finally got to catch them last night (only other time they've been to Chicago was on the main stage at Riot Fest 3 or 4 years ago) and it greatly exceeded expectations

For those not "in the know" it's OG Black Flag members touring in all but name, with Stephen Egerton from The Adolescents filling in on lead guitar. Keith Morris on vocals, Bill Stevenson on drums, Chuck Dukowski on bass, Dez Cadena on second guitar (and vocals for most of the Damaged-era songs)

Unreal.

RDreamer

Hey Metal-Gaf,

What I love:
Trivium
Amorphis
Metallica
Deafheaven
Nachtmystium
Mastodon
Queens of the Stone Age
Volbeat
Motörhead
Drudkh

Thanks!!!

Baroness, Agalloch, Wolves in the Throne Room, Ghost Bath, Ne Obliviscaris, In Flames, Soilwork, Gojira

Having had some real time with the new Moonsorrow album, it's now a contender for my AotY. I am in love. Deleted the bonus tracks though. they kinda take away from the main package (plus holy fuck the album is long enough without them)

Curious Metal-Gaf. Did you ever have trouble with owning Metal albums when you were younger due to your parents? Any smashed albums or something, or were you able to get albums you want by, say, hiding certain lyrics or something?

Since my parents are divorced, I just bought albums at my mom's house and kept them there. My dad would never let me get Parents Advisory albums, but my mom did as a special agreement of NOT repeating what I heard off of albums.

choodi

Banned
Curious Metal-Gaf. Did you ever have trouble with owning Metal albums when you were younger due to your parents? Any smashed albums or something, or were you able to get albums you want by, say, hiding certain lyrics or something?

Since my parents are divorced, I just bought albums at my mom's house and kept them there. My dad would never let me get Parents Advisory albums, but my mom did as a special agreement of NOT repeating what I heard off of albums.

No issues for me. I have fond memories of being 13 and playing Guns n Roses and Slayer in the car with my mum. By the time my brother and i graduated on to the truly offensive stuff, she was pretty immune to it honestly.

Dad never listened to the words anyway, so he didn't care what we were listening to.

lordxar

After blasting Pantera nice and loud a few times my mom wanted to look at the lyrics. She was not enthused but that's about it. A friend of mine...his mom tossed his Slayer tapes and D&D books. I won't say my parents didn't care as much as they allowed things. Guess they figured some vulgar music was better than alternatives. Friend of mines mom is a religious nut. Besides, I knew to save shit like 2 Live Crew for when no one was listening lol.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Zero problems at home. Well, some (late) old hags from the village labeled me for a satanist several years ago.

My mom threw away Altered Beast because she thought it was satanic but by the time I started listening to metal, she just always bugged me about whether or not I was depressed.
All I wanted was a Dr. Pepper

My step dad would make fun of me when he heard death metally music though.

bebop242

I mail ordered a Black Sabbath shirt that had a decently sized 666 on the back. My dad asked me about it and I told him that I saw the 666 as a prop or joke and that it didn't mean anything to me (which it didn't). A few months later for my birthday, they gave me a personal CD player with Iron Maiden's Live from Hell album.

A friend in high school, however, had all his Kiss cassette tapes crushed by the family car. It was hilarious because Kiss seemed so lame compared to bands the rest of us were listening to like Slayer, Ministry, Mr Bungle, Nin.

redlegs87

I didn't really click with metal until I was 17-18 so by then my mom didn't give two craps what I listened to.

RDreamer

I had issues buying rap when I was into that, but not metal. They thought it was weird and maybe crazy, but they couldn't understand the words of most of it so it didn't matter.

Melchiah

No, but I did have some problems with owning Satanic Bible, and various Order of the Left Hand Path magazines in the early 90's. Partly because at the time there was a huge media hysteria about Satanism going on, and the church fanned the flames by making sensationalist "documentaries" about it. I had to hide the material at my friend's place for a while.

Playing in a metal band was never an issue, but playing in a black metal band was sometimes, eventhough my parents aren't religious. My father resigned from the church before me.

EDIT: Just remembered, that I actually got Blasphemy's Fallen Angel of Doom album for Yule (xmas for non-Finns) from my parents.

Naw. I wasn't into really heavy metal back then though, going no further than Rob Zombie and Godsmack, and only the latter had a PA sticker. My parents didn't really care until I hit a Limp Bizkit phase, and even then, it wasn't too bad. They never destroyed my CDs or anything, just kinda told me to not repeat the lyrics.

My mom actually fell in love with Godsmack when I first played em for her, so that was a plus.

My cousin wasn't so lucky though. His parents were pretty strict about that shit, so he'd be getting albums edited and play em for me, then my parents would buy me the unedited stuff.

Not sure what the case would have been had I brought home something really harsh though, like Dissection or what have you. I don't think I'd have liked that back then though, either. Was barely okay with Slipknot at the time.

I had issues buying rap when I was into that, but not metal. They thought it was weird and maybe crazy, but they couldn't understand the words of most of it so it didn't matter.

I had this problem too, back when I listened to rap. The workaround was to find a guy with a CD burner and just get my CDs that way. Once I had em, it was a "well he already has it and has listened to it, so damage done I guess." Not that I repeated any of them words out loud. I really didn't start swearing until I hit college.

My parents asked me if I was a Satanist once. And so did one of my ex girlfriends. Haha.

RDreamer

I had this problem too, back when I listened to rap. The workaround was to find a guy with a CD burner and just get my CDs that way. Once I had em, it was a "well he already has it and has listened to it, so damage done I guess." Not that I repeated any of them words out loud. I really didn't start swearing until I hit college.

Yeah my parents didn't like me buying the parental advisory albums, but one time I bought one I was really excited for and it was the censored version. When they heard me playing it they felt a bit bad and let me exchange it. They said I already knew what they were saying. What's the point in having the music further ruined, too.

I also had to present music to them when I wanted to buy an Orgy CD purely because of the band name.

Other than those instances they didn't REALLY care much. My dad listened to rock and stuff like Black Sabbath when he was younger. He didn't like it anymore and was convinced I'd eventually turn to country like him, but he didn't stop me from buying it. He also thought it was bizarre I could listen to stuff in other languages, like Rammstein.

The guy in Sockweb committed suicide which is very tragic, especially as more details are coming out about all his mental issues and his abuse towards his fiance and her mental illness.

What fills me with a deep, cold, dark feeling however is that I read the news on MetalSucks and after doing so I came to the calm and clinically detached decision that if a person who comments on the MetalSucks articles and reviews were to die the world would be an overall better place.

Ingoo

Neo Member
Saw King Diamond last night... and holy shit what a show. Can't believe the guy is almost 60 and sounds so good live.

King Diamond is so fucking good. I'm glad he got his health in order. I never got to see him in the 80s but I imagine that the only difference is that there's more songs now.

Top Bottom