• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Ingoo

Neo Member
I'm seeing him in Copenhagen next week and to say I'm excited is an understatement!

Enjoy ! Easily one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

Who's opening for him ? Here in Finland it was Amaranthe, which was a bit weird.
I don't really like their "E-type-metal" so i skipped them completely.

King Diamond turns 60 today !

I have such a hate boner for Dave Mustaine. Him blocking King Diamond from playing with Volbeat doesn't help at all. I wish he would go away or I could find a way to ignore him.

Calderc

So Joey Jordison revealed last night he's been suffering from a rare form of MS that stopped him playing and basically robbed him of his legs towards the end of his time in Slipknot.

It was a really emotional speech and it's great he's back on his feet. He kinda implied it was that that made him leave Slipknot, but if that's the case then why was his departure so secretive? Not that I'm doubting it or anything, it just makes the whole thing seem a bit odd.

fallout

So Joey Jordison revealed last night he's been suffering from a rare form of MS that stopped him playing and basically robbed him of his legs towards the end of his Tim in Slipknot.
I've got a couple of family members with MS and it's a terrible disease. I really do wish him the best, particularly when such a thing has robbed him of his livelihood and apparent life passion.

It was a really emotional speech and it's great he's back on his feet. He kinda implied it was that that made him leave Slipknot, but if that's the case then why his departure so secretive? Not that I'm doubting it or anything, if just makes the whole thing seem a bit odd.
MS is incredibly hard to deal with when you've been diagnosed. You know that even with the advances they've made, it's really only something you can mitigate and not completely cure. So, maybe he wasn't ready to accept it at the time? Maybe he didn't want the public attention? It's also possible that he hadn't been diagnosed at the time, but was just suffering with related symptoms.

I don't know the guy and I've never really followed Slipknot, but I can imagine a bunch of reasons why it wouldn't have been discussed at the time of his departure.

Calderc

I've got a couple of family members with MS and it's a terrible disease. I really do wish him the best, particularly when such a thing has robbed him of his livelihood and apparent life passion.

MS is incredibly hard to deal with when you've been diagnosed. You know that even with the advances they've made, it's really only something you can mitigate and not completely cure. So, maybe he wasn't ready to accept it at the time? Maybe he didn't want the public attention? It's also possible that he hadn't been diagnosed at the time, but was just suffering with related symptoms.

I don't know the guy and I've never really followed Slipknot, but I can imagine a bunch of reasons why it wouldn't have been discussed at the time of his departure.

That's all 100% understandable, I was more just meaning the few comments that were released at the time from Slipknot members almost hinted at some kind of animosity going on or even substance abuse issues.

It kinda makes sense though if he was going through some shit and using substances to cope while not telling his band mates what was up.

Like I said earlier though, it's so great seeing him back up on stage and back behind the kit in 2 bands, so he's obviously doing a lot better.

So Joey Jordison revealed last night he's been suffering from a rare form of MS that stopped him playing and basically robbed him of his legs towards the end of his time in Slipknot.

It was a really emotional speech and it's great he's back on his feet. He kinda implied it was that that made him leave Slipknot, but if that's the case then why was his departure so secretive? Not that I'm doubting it or anything, it just makes the whole thing seem a bit odd.

God that must suck.... No chance at recovery for Jory?

RDreamer

Opeth sign to Nuclear Blast and announce new album titled Sorceress:

Nuclear Blast Entertainment is very pleased to announce the signing of Swedish progressive legends, OPETH. Always an unstoppable force for uniqueness amid a sea of generic swill, OPETH have been setting the rulebook ablaze, and ploughing a uniquely progressive and exploratory furrow for over 25 years now. Neither conforming nor exhibiting any desire to be restricted to a single genre, OPETH, quite simply, have a time honored tradition of blowing our minds with both class and forward thinking. All these years later, nothing and everything has changed once again with their forthcoming album »Sorceress«.

"We're happy to confirm that we have indeed signed a deal with Nuclear Blast Entertainment and will be putting out our 12th studio album »Sorceress« via our own imprint, Moderbolaget Records," states Mikael Åkerfeldt. "The decision was made in Markus Staiger's (Nuclear Blast kingpin) ridiculously potent Porsche going at 150 mph somewhere in the south of Germany. We're happy to be part of the NB team and look forward to a fruitful relationship."

Nuclear Blast owner, Markus Staiger, continues:
"I am honored that OPETH have joined the Nuclear Blast family. Mikael Åkerfeldt and his fellow bandmates have demonstrated time and time again that OPETH are a band that never release an album that sounds the same. You never know what their new music will sound like! Nuclear Blast has been following the musical journey of OPETH from the beginning with »Orchid« to landmark albums like »Still Life«, »Deliverance«, »Damnation« and »Blackwater Park«, right up to 2014's »Pale Communion«! The band have become one of the most challenging artists in rock music today. It is not often that we get to work with musicians of their caliber and I'm thrilled to have such a unique genre-leader on the label. The future for OPETH and Nuclear Blast looks very bright."
Monte Conner, Nuclear Blast Entertainment president adds:

"OPETH are a band that have continually evolved and moved forward at every stage. Always innovating and always continuing to challenge themselves as players and writers. They are simply fearless. I can't wait to hear what they come up with next! It's an amazing feeling to be reunited with one of my favorite bands and I look forward to my colleagues here at Nuclear Blast being able to have their own OPETH experience and role in the band's continuing journey. I want to thank Mikael Åkerfeldt and OPETH for putting their faith and trust in everyone here at Nuclear Blast."

OPETH are currently in the studio with Tom Dalgety putting the finishing touches on Sorceress. A release for the album is tentatively scheduled for the fall via Moderbolaget Records / Nuclear Blast Entertainment.

I guess it's easy to make a decision while going 150 mph. I can't wait to hear from this. I liked Pale Communion well enough so it will be interesting to see where they go from here.

e_i

New Opeth. New Russian Circles. New Meshuggah. New Metallica
Hahahaha. no.
It's going to be a good Summer/Fall.

EYEL1NER

Curious Metal-Gaf. Did you ever have trouble with owning Metal albums when you were younger due to your parents? Any smashed albums or something, or were you able to get albums you want by, say, hiding certain lyrics or something?

Since my parents are divorced, I just bought albums at my mom's house and kept them there. My dad would never let me get Parents Advisory albums, but my mom did as a special agreement of NOT repeating what I heard off of albums.
I'm not really an established Metal-GAF member but I just now ventured in and figured I would answer:
I had no issues because my parents both listened to metal. My mom's favorite band was ACDC but she listened to a ton of hair metal and also Pantera. My step-dad's favorite band was Rush but he listened to a ton of Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and Merciful Fate/King Diamond. No problems coming from them.

So I am coming in just because I wanted to show off to someone and I currently have no one who cares living in the area. This showed up today, something I never thought I would get my hands on (or never thought I would ever own unless I spent over $300 on it):
r4lMfUW.jpg
It arrived in-shrink, blemish-free, number 2200- or 2400-something out of 8000. I can't wait to start listening to some of the remixed songs and some of the exclusive stuff.

Some things I have been rocking this year so far. Not much new, but some of it was new to me:

Scottify

Thanks for that Fuath mention. I had never heard of them before and have been getting into the atmospheric black metal thing. I really am digging their album so far.

EYEL1NER

That Visigoth album is 10/10. One of my absolute favorite metal albums the past few years.
It really is a good one. I know we all probably have plenty of albums we can listen to all the way through, I've seen threads asking for suggestions for those before and they always get a lot of posts. This is easily one of them though. No filler and everything goes perfectly together. Even the cover of Manila Road's "Necropolis" (my personal favorite song off the album), which has the most different sound and vibe off the whole album, works by being placed towards the middle of the album.
I first heard a sample on Amazon for "Dungeon Master" and decided it had sufficient enough cheese that I liked it. I ended up buying that song, "Mammoth Rider," and "Blood Sacrifice." After loving those three, I bought "From The Arcane Mists of Prophecy" which knocked me flat on my ass. That song made me say "Why am I buying this album piecemeal? It is obviously a great one, so fuck it" and I ordered a copy of the CD. It has gotten quite a few spins in my car. In fact, I had a four hour drive where I listened to this on repeat all the way through four times. Part of that was due to the other person in the car being asleep the whole time, we started off at midnight after a concert, and they were the designated "switch CDs for me when I need it, because I gotta concentrate on driving and staying awake." The Revenant King did not get old though.
I have been listening to a lot of bands lately who are trying to mimic a traditional metal sound and I don't think many of them are doing it as well as Visigoth are.

Please let the new Opeth have death metal growls.

Nah, from him? His growling sucks now.

I'm not really an established Metal-GAF member but I just now ventured in and figured I would answer:
I had no issues because my parents both listened to metal. My mom's favorite band was ACDC but she listened to a ton of hair metal and also Pantera. My step-dad's favorite band was Rush but he listened to a ton of Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and Merciful Fate/King Diamond. No problems coming from them.

So I am coming in just because I wanted to show off to someone and I currently have no one who cares living in the area. This showed up today, something I never thought I would get my hands on (or never thought I would ever own unless I spent over $300 on it):

It arrived in-shrink, blemish-free, number 2200- or 2400-something out of 8000. I can't wait to start listening to some of the remixed songs and some of the exclusive stuff.

Some things I have been rocking this year so far. Not much new, but some of it was new to me:

That's nice. Really nice. My parents.....eh.

If you've heard him do them live lately, you probably don't actually want this. His growl sounds thin and weak, now.

I actually thought about it....what if he brought in guest vocalists? That would be great. Get a guest vocalist to add screams, or sing.

New Gojira leaked the other day. I gave it a spin on youtube today and am a bit iffy on it. Still have it coming tomorrow so I already bought it, but I hope it grows on me.

Yeah, it's streaming over here.

Listened to it a few times. It's good. Not great. I don't think it lived up to the hype, but maybe time will be kinder to it.
I basically know them from The Way of All Flesh so this is a BIG change, but yeah, once I get used to it I"m hoping I like it.

This has been kind of a crazy year for music for me. I've discovered a shitload of new bands, but all the albums i was SUPER EXCITED FOR kind of left me wanting. Nothing terrible or bad, but not as great I had hoped.

Meanwhile, the stuff I didn't even know I wanted are blowing me away (Avantasia and Moonsorrow being the biggies)

After Magma, I don't have anything to be excited for, so god I dunno what'll show up that I didn't expect. Jari has been teasing recording stuff for Wintersun, but I'm still thinking hell will freeze over before we really get new tunes from him.

But man if that just shows up this year. FUUUUUUUUCK!

Saw this a couple days ago but I don't listen to that band so didn't really care. But I thought the band's response was amusing.

“As we watch this event unfold, we are shocked and saddened to learn that our former singer Erick has been involved in what seems to be a shooting by his own hands. Although all the details have yet to unravel, and he hasn’t been an active member of Pyrexia for some time now, we have been rocked by this horrible news. There’s no question the man had obscure views and was an odd and quiet person at times, but you try and accept a person’s shortcomings or different viewpoints. No one saw this in him.”

They seemed to assume he's guilty as soon as the news broke.

Saw this a couple days ago but I don't listen to that band so didn't really care. But I thought the band's response was amusing.

“As we watch this event unfold, we are shocked and saddened to learn that our former singer Erick has been involved in what seems to be a shooting by his own hands. Although all the details have yet to unravel, and he hasn’t been an active member of Pyrexia for some time now, we have been rocked by this horrible news. There’s no question the man had obscure views and was an odd and quiet person at times, but you try and accept a person’s shortcomings or different viewpoints. No one saw this in him.”

They seemed to assume he's guilty as soon as the news broke.

Ha ha, that was great. The second to last sentence stood out for me.

SwolBro

Banned
Yeah, it's streaming over here.

Listened to it a few times. It's good. Not great. I don't think it lived up to the hype, but maybe time will be kinder to it.

New Gojira leaked the other day. I gave it a spin on youtube today and am a bit iffy on it. Still have it coming tomorrow so I already bought it, but I hope it grows on me.

I gave it my first spin today at the gym. It's good, it's not as explosive as the other albums and it's very short. But then i got home, put on my quality headphones and amp and it's so much better like this.

There's some really good fucking songs on here. I just wish it was longer. It's a very short album. Another solid release. Not sure where it will rank in the discography but i can see i'll be spinning this for a while

Gojira never disappoints and i'm absolutely loving Shooting Star, Magma, Pray, and Low Lands <3

EYEL1NER

V was the album that got me into Symphony X. Soooo good...
I heard "Egypt" a couple months back on Pandora and decided that I should start checking them out again. I got into them with The Odyssey. I was heavy into mythology while still in school in the early 00's and obviously would love a metal album that deal with it but man, that album cover...
I was at a recovery sales store that I had been going to with my family since I was born. They always had thousands on CDs and the price on almost all of them was around $5-$7. There was occasionally a bunch of good stuff and sometimes a bunch of shit; they had no control over what inventory they could obtain. I just remember flipping through CDs on the rack and seeing The Odyssey sitting there. I'm pretty sure there was a sticker on the shrink from the studio advertising something along the lines of "The newest album from metal pioneers blah blah blah" so that tipped me off that they were a metal band. I picked it up to study the cover and seeing the nude sirens in the air with arms stretched toward the ship, a frenzied-looking Odysseus lashed to the mast, the waves thrashing about the sides of the ship... I said to myself "Metal band, bitching album art, cool concept for songs: There is no way this is going to be bad." It didn't disappoint at all. Those first three songs, "Inferno (Unleash the Fire)," "Wicked," and "Incantations of the Apprentice," are still favorites of mine.

RDreamer

I could never get into any Symphony X other than The Odyssey.

Well... Underworld was decent, too. But the older albums I just can't get into because the production is just so bad. Everything sounds so flat to me.

EYEL1NER

I could never get into any Symphony X other than The Odyssey.

Well... Underworld was decent, too. But the older albums I just can't get into because the production is just so bad. Everything sounds so flat to me.
Symphony X, The Damnation Game, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, and Twilight in Olympus were all remastered back in 2004. I'm not sure who they stack up compared to the originals and maybe you even heard the remasters when you formed your opinion, but there could be better versions than what you heard.

Someone I am getting back into lately is Therion. They are very hit or miss for me, because I dislike the female operatic vocals more times than not. But when they hit, they hit right on the mark. It doesn't hurt to have had Snowy Shaw kicking ass with them. My first Therion album was Sirius B/Lemuria. I got that one in 2006 in Tech School at Keesler AFB in MS. It was shortly after arriving there from basic training and basic was hell for me. Not because it was too hard or anything but because I got injured while there and had to go to the med hold flight for a while. The normal 6 week experience ended up being over four months for me, and that meant four months without music.

There was one time when I was one of the only people in the dorm, becuase everyone else went to service on Sunday and I stayed behind. I was sitting by my locker polishing my boots when the TI, who was in his office relaxing and taking a break from having to yell at people, turned on the radio. It was on whateve the rock station in San Antonio is and a Pantera song started playing. I can't remember which one, but I do remember him singing along and me sitting there next to my locker nodding my head and tapping my fingers to it. I was being fairly silent but maybe I was being too silent, becuase the TI obviously sensed that something was wrong and someone somewhere was happy. He stormed out of his office, his taps clicking on the linoleum, and saw me slightly banging my head to the song. He turned around, stomped back into the office, and shut the radio off. Bummer.

I was so starved for music during BMT. I ended up writing a letter to a friend and requested that they print off the lyrics to some songs and send them to me. I provided my list on several sheets of notebook, every line front-and-back populated with a band and song title. She ended up sending me maybe only one or two dozen of my requests, but it was still an amazing feeling to be able to sit on the floor next to my bunk in the middle of the night with my flashlight out reading the lyrics and playing the accompanying music to it in my head.

Anyway, I got a bit sidetracked but the point was that I missed music. So a couple weeks after getting to Tech School, I gained the privilege to leave the base and go into town while wearing my dress blues uniform. I took the bus to the Edgewater Mall in Biloxi to check out what was there and take in a little bit of 'normal.' There wasn't much else to do but go to the mall at that time because the local area was still pretty trashed from Hurrican Katrina the previous year. So I got to the mall and wandered around until I found a CD store. I don't remember the name of it and cannot find the name via Google, it seems like there might have been an fye at that mall at one point but I don't think that was it. Anyway, their metal section was HUGE! Tons of DVDs (I remember buying Amon Amarth's live Wraith of the Norsemen DVD which was still pretty new at that point), tons of CDs and records, shirts, all kinds of cool stuff. Four months at Basic Training with no way to spend money saw me with a bit more money in my bank account than I had ever been used to having, so I went a bit crazy. I can't remember what all I bought; I want to say Trivium's second album had released and I bought that, I bought a bunch of metalcore stuff that I liked but had not previous purchased like As I Lay Dying's Shadows are Security, and more. One of the things I bought though was Therion's Sirius B/Lemuria.

That album got so many plays while in tech school. I shared a room with a guy who was into a lot of rap and hip hop and R&B. I'm pretty thankful for it because he put me onto Ne-Yo's In My Own Words and the song from it "Sign Me Up" which he listened to all the time; I still like that album. But he had had the room first and I moved into it after he was settled in, so he acted like the room was his and he had priority over everything, to include what music, if any, would be played. After he had been there for a while and started spending more and more time hitting on the females off base, I was able to have the room to myself and started listening to my CDs on my alarm clock CD player I had bought from the BX. I started listening to Sirius B/Lemuria "The Blood of Kingu" was a song I liked and had actually heard before some time in 2004, on a Knucletracks sampler disc that came with an issue of Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles (the best metal mag ever!). "Dark Venus Persephone" had a dark sound to it that I dug. "Typhon" and "Uthark Runa" were both pretty heavy. But the song I listened to the most was "Lemuria." Piotr Wawrzeniuk's voice on that track was so haunting to me. And I loved every incorrect annunciation or odd-sounding phrase, the strangeness that English can sometimes take on when written or spoken by someone who isn't all that familiar with it. I remember leaving it on repeat for a day or so and falling asleep to it, only to wake up to my roommate staring at me and asking "What the hell is this corny shit you're listening to?" So anyway, Sirius B/Lemuria holds a special place for me.

Recently I heard their Manowar cover "Thor" from the album Crowning of Atlantis with Primal Fear's Ralf Scheepers on vocals. The original sounds just okay to me but I've never really cared for Manowar all that much. Ralf brings "Thor" to life though and the song is so much heavier than the original. The song quickly earned a spot on my "All-Time Favorites" list.

But yeah, I have been wanting to get back into Therion. Overall I like them, though like I said before, some of their songs with more operatic vocals fall flat for me. I'm not sure why, but I always kind of equate Symphony X and Therion a bit in my head. Maybe because Sy- and Th- are so close on playlists and music libraries or becuase of the progressiveness they have demonstrated from time-to-time (Symphony X more so than Therion though)? Not sure, but talking about Symphony X brought them to mind. I've also been thinking about picking up the board game 011 over the last couple weeks, which features Therion in it.

I gave it my first spin today at the gym. It's good, it's not as explosive as the other albums and it's very short. But then i got home, put on my quality headphones and amp and it's so much better like this.

There's some really good fucking songs on here. I just wish it was longer. It's a very short album. Another solid release. Not sure where it will rank in the discography but i can see i'll be spinning this for a while

Gojira never disappoints and i'm absolutely loving Shooting Star, Magma, Pray, and Liberation <3
My second go through on some solid equipment and with better-set expectations was a lot better. It's different, but it's good. Like, legit good. Maybe not what I want from Gojira, but lyrically it's fantastic and musically there's a lot to like.

Still not quite shaking the fact that I'm disappointed, but I've only gone through it twice. We'll see how things sit a week from now.

SwolBro

Banned
My second go through on some solid equipment and with better-set expectations was a lot better. It's different, but it's good. Like, legit good. Maybe not what I want from Gojira, but lyrically it's fantastic and musically there's a lot to like.

Still not quite shaking the fact that I'm disappointed, but I've only gone through it twice. We'll see how things sit a week from now.

It's good man. Low Lands is like Flying Whales. Its' so damn good. I'm loving how atmospheric it is, and i'm digging the clean vocals a lot.

It's easier to digest, and can be listened to even if you're slightly tired. I actually want the follow up to this album to be even more atmospheric and emotional with complex vocals which incorporates his fantastic growl with the clean approach.

The only downside, like i said before, is that it's too damn short.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Recently I heard their Manowar cover "Thor" from the album Crowning of Atlantis with Primal Fear's Ralf Scheepers on vocals. The original sounds just okay to me but I've never really cared for Manowar all that much. Ralf brings "Thor" to life though and the song is so much heavier than the original. The song quickly earned a spot on my "All-Time Favorites" list.
Yeah, that's a kick-ass cover. I also prefer Edge of Sanity's cover of "Blood of My Enemies" over the original. But I've never been much of a Manowar fan either.

But yeah, I have been wanting to get back into Therion. Overall I like them, though like I said before, some of their songs with more operatic vocals fall flat for me. I'm not sure why, but I always kind of equate Symphony X and Therion a bit in my head. Maybe because Sy- and Th- are so close on playlists and music libraries or becuase of the progressiveness they have demonstrated from time-to-time (Symphony X more so than Therion though)? Not sure, but talking about Symphony X brought them to mind.
Eh, they sound nothing alike really. But if you want to get into more Therion, definitely try Theli, it's the quintenssential album. I doubt it's too "operatic" for you if you enjoyed Lemuria/Sirius B, after all, but if so, then try the ones before that; Lepaca Kliffoth is bloody amazing, the operatic vocals are more sparse and it's just full of amazing occult-tinged riffing.

I've also been thinking about picking up the board game 011 over the last couple weeks, which features Therion in it.
Wh-wha...? How?

Top Bottom