• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jotun

All Post metal stuff
ISIS-Ocean, and Panopticon
Ulver-Blood Inside
Neurosis- Eye Of Every Storm

Melodic Death Metal
In flames
Amon Amarth
Dark Tranquillity

Clasic Metal
Iron MAiden
Metallica-pre black
Megadeth

Barnolde

Banned
jotun said:
Melodic Death Metal
Amon Amarth

Thank you for not calling them viking metal, god, I hate when ignorant people do that. Amon Amarth used to kick ass, too bad they've turned into a monotonous, mundane band.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Sorry if anyone is offended by the bump, but I just had to heap praise on this:

Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis (death metal)

B000DN5VEY.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This may only be 32 minutes long, but jesus christ it's ****ing brutal. I wasn't familiar with Decapitated until hearing this, but it has spurred me to hunt down their other albums. If they are 1/10th as hard and crushing as this album, then consider me a fan for life!

Barnolde

Banned
Big Nate said:
Sorry if anyone is offended by the bump, but I just had to heap praise on this:

Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis (death metal)

B000DN5VEY.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This may only be 32 minutes long, but jesus christ it's ****ing brutal. I wasn't familiar with Decapitated until hearing this, but it has spurred me to hunt down their other albums. If they are 1/10th as hard and crushing as this album, then consider me a fan for life!

I'm selling that album in case anyone is interested :p

It's pretty meh, especially compared to their first two. Winds of Creation is godlike.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Barnolde said:
I'm selling that album in case anyone is interested :p

It's pretty meh, especially compared to their first two. Winds of Creation is godlike.

I think it's better than The Negation, but yeah, Winds of Creation is where it's at for awesome Decapitated.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Sabaton - Primo Victoria

B00077CYIW.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Described as "war" metal, this World War II concept album is one of my newly discovered favorites. Everything from the vocals to the soaring solos, to the awesome keyboard work, reeks of quality metal on this album.

Highly recommended.

Barnolde

Banned
Big Nate said:
Sabaton - Primo Victoria

B00077CYIW.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Described as "war" metal, this World War II concept album is one of my newly discovered favorites. Everything from the vocals to the soaring solos, to the awesome keyboard work, reeks of quality metal on this album.

Highly recommended.

I've been singing praises for this album for a long time, check the first page.

Their new CD (which comes out in a month) is going to be awesome from the 1 song I heard. Sabaton is incredible and they own the power metal genre.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Barnolde said:
I've been singing praises for this album for a long time, check the first page.

Their new CD (which comes out in a month) is going to be awesome from the 1 song I heard. Sabaton is incredible and they own the power metal genre.

Ooops, forgot to check the 1st page to see if they had been mentioned. Oh well, it bears repeating: Listen to Sabaton!

I'm jamming to Bolt Thrower's Warmaster right now and it's awesome. Their new one, "Those Once Loyal", is also fantastic.

Thought I would recommend some grind and this seems like a good thread to do so (not all new, but whatever):

To Separate The Flesh From The Bones - Utopia Sadistica
tstfftbbl2.jpg

Take 2 parts Amorphis and 1 part HIM and you get TSTFFTB, amazing Carcass-grind with guest appearance by Jeff Walker.

General Surgery - Left Hand Pathology
gspathologybiggl0.jpg

Again, Carcass-grind, debut album from a band that started in the 1980's. Entombed fans should recognize the name of the album :)

Jigsore Terror - World End Carnage
jigsoreterroryg7.jpg

Oldschool grind/death, in the same vein as Death. The album World End Carnage was produced by Mieszko Talarczyk (RIP). Guest vocals by Dan Swanö (Edge of Sanity, Ex-Bloodbath, Nightingale and many more) on the track Slaughtered Existence.

Exhale - Prototype
prototypevb2.jpg

Misery Index-like deathgrind.

Also remember to pick up Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain. It's due out sometime in August I believe.
ashesdy6.jpg

Amazing album, I expect nothing else from Agalloch.

SofaKing

Hates all things good and decent in this world
Here's some other real good heavy/power metal albums:

Dragonforce - Sonic Firestorm

Dream Evil - Dragonslayer

Edguy - Theater of Salvation and Superheroes EP

Hammerfall - Chapter V: Unbent Unbowed Unbroken

Primal Fear - Black Sun

Nightwish - Once (female vocals and she's a beauty)

Thunderstone - Tools of Destruction

Here's one for the fans of Thrash Metal.

Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine, Natural Born Chaos, and Stabbing the Drama

I would call soilwork more melodic death than thrash.
Anyway, I've been very heavily into Nevermore recently. I'm listening to Dreaming Neon Black right now, which is a very kick ass album.

I've only seen one reccomendation of Edge of Sanity- Crimson in this thread so let me add another. It's really a fantastic song/album (whatever you want to call it).

Guy

292_photo.JPG

ARCTURUS

Genre(s)
Avant-Garde, Atmospheric Black (early)

Lyrical theme(s)
Astronomy, The Supernatural, Literature

Origin Formed in Current label Status
Norway (Oslo) 1987 Season of Mist Active

Current line-up

Knut Magne Valle
- Guitars (ex- Ulver)

Hugh Stephen James Mingay (Skoll) - Bass (ex-Ved Buens Ende,ex- Ulver, Fimbulwinter)

Steinar Sverd Johnsen - Keyboards (ex-Covenant (Nor), Mortem (Nor), Satyricon)

Simen Hestnæs "ICS Vortex" - vocals, lyrics (ex-Borknagar, Dimmu Borgir, Lamented Souls)

Tore Moren - Guitars (Carnivora, ex-Jørn)

Jan Axel Von Blomberg (Hellhammer) - Drums (Age of Silence, ex-Antestor, Carnivora, ex-Covenant (Nor), ex-Jørn, Mayhem (Nor), Mezzerschmitt, ex-Mortem (Nor), ex-Shining, ex-The Kovenant, Thorns, Troll, ex-Vidsyn, Dimmu Borgir, Winds (Nor))

----------

Sideshow Symphonies - Hibernation Sickness Complete (MP3)

http://www.season-of-mist.com/common/downloads/Arcturus/Arcturus-Sideshow%20Symphonies-01-Hibernation%20Sickness%20Complete.mp3

Worth a download, best metal song since a very, very long time IMO.

YYZ

I'm the voice of anti-extreme metal.

I like a lot of metal, but for this post, how about some Stratovarius?

Visions

Visions_-_Stratovarius2.jpg

BTW I just searched the OT for "metal" and someone mentioned this band called Miles Beyond and I looked on youtube for some songs, they are fucking awesome! Holy shit, the singer sounds a lot like Bruce Dickenson, and the music sounds like power metal to me though I'm not good at categorizing music. I think they are very small and obscure, but you can get the CD from their website. I'm going to order the CD form there sometime soon. I liked what I heard.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
The lack of In Flames in this thread is criminal. Best metal group since Metallica and best rock group around today. It's amazing that they consistantly release great album after great album. It's rare to find a CD with one or two good songs on it, but they deliver hit after hit. Anyone who hasn't heard them needs to visit their My Space Page immediately.

InFlames-Clayman.jpg

InFlames-RerouteToRemain.jpg

InFlames-Soundtrack_To_Your_Escape.jpg

Inflamescomeclarity.jpg

Outlaw

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
The lack of In Flames in this thread is criminal. Best metal group since Metallica and best rock group around today. It's amazing that they consistantly release great album after great album. It's rare to find a CD with one or two good songs on it, but they deliver hit after hit. Anyone who hasn't heard them needs to visit their My Space Page immediately.

no..I don't think so. Not even close as being the best metal band. Some of their older stuff is good but that's about it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
It would help if you didn't list the half of In Flames' library that blows anus.

Their earlier material is classic, melodeath rivaled by few.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
You have to admit that Ordinary Story by In Flames is one of the best songs ever. Hell, Enslaved practically ripped it off for one of their tracks.

Also, Between Two Worlds by I is a crackin' good album.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
SnakeXs said:
Their earlier material is classic, melodeath rivaled by few.

In Flames can't even carry a torch (lol) for Soilwork. Even though Soilwork followed In Flames' exact progression, they did it so much more kick ass. Even when Soilwork sold out, they did it better. The only unlistenable Soilwork album is Stabbing the Drama.

When I listen to In Flames, I think, wow I'm gonna go back to listening to Dark Tranquillity.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
In Flames is shit now. I couldn't believe they went with a hardcore/metalcore singing style on the song that somehow made it onto GH or rock band.

That's the same band that made Jester Race. Unbelievable.

Death Metal is pointless after Death, Appalling Spawn and Lykathea Aflame for me. I haven't been able to listen to anything but them when I feel the need for extreme metal anymore.

Phobophile

QVT said:
Death Metal is pointless after Death, Appalling Spawn and Lykathea Aflame for me. I haven't been able to listen to anything but them when I feel the need for extreme metal anymore.

BENIGHTED
DEMIURG
KRONOS

Three bands that have put out some of the best metal albums this year.

yacobod

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
The singer is about on the same level of Rob Halford in terms of sound. But god damn do the songs rock!

sorry not even close, rob halford is far and away the best heavy metal vocalist

Judas Priest - Painkiller might be the best metal album ever

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Phobophile said:
BENIGHTED
DEMIURG
KRONOS

Three bands that have put out some of the best metal albums this year.

I haven't even heard of them, so no blame can fall on me. I'll look them up. They better not suck, asshole. :lol

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
I don't know as much about metal as you guys, but I really should recommend one band to you: Recreational Episiotomy. For anyone familiar with the SMW album from a few years back, this is Xoc's slightly more serious project, and it fucking rocks. All the stuff on the website is free - two and a half EPs worth. It's all great too. Really inventive, fast, thrashy metal.

Check out the Ameribombada mini-EP if you're only going to check out one thing. It's only 3'33" long, and Mishmash is a classic.

ameribombada_ep_cover_350.jpg

Phobophile

QVT said:
I haven't even heard of them, so no blame can fall on me. I'll look them up. They better not suck, asshole. :lol

Benighted - Identisick
Benighted - Icon
Kronos - Colossal Titan Strife
Kronos - The Hellenic Terror
Demiurg - Breath of the Demiurg

If you don't like those albums, then it is you who is the asshole. :mad:

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Allow me to mention some awesome metal releases that have come out this year:

Monarch - Die Tonight
Bloody Panda - Pheromone
Neurosis - Given to the Rising
Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters
Omega Massif - Geisterstadt
Deathspell Omega - Fas – Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
Nadja - Guilted by the Sun
Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide
Obscurus Advocam - Verbia Daemonicus

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I listen to some easy listening metal as I would call it... but I will divide into genres (LONG POST PEOPLE!)

Japanese Metal:

X Japan

Recommended Best 2:

Jealousy and Art of Life

Female Vocals

Nightwish

Recommended Best 2:

Once (heavy style) and Oceanborn (melodic style)

Fast Metal

Sonata Arctica

Recommended Best 2:

Unia (prog) and Silence (fast and melodic)

Dragonforce

Recommended Best:

Valley of the Damned

Luca Turilli

Only one worth checking out (IMO):

Prophet of the Last Eclipse

Metalcore

Sonic Syndicate -> Only Inhuman

Bullet for my Valentine -> The Poison

Other

HIM

Recommended Best 2:

Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights and Venus Doom

The top five I would suggest you listen to are:

X Japan - Jealousy
HIM - Venus Doom
Sonata Arctica - Unia
Sonic Syndicate - Only Inhuman
Nightwish - Oceanborn

Phobophile

lsslave said:
I listen to some easy listening metal as I would call it... but I will divide into genres (LONG POST PEOPLE!)

Japanese Metal:

X Japan

Recommended Best 2:

Jealousy and Art of Life

Female Vocals

Nightwish

Recommended Best 2:

Once (heavy style) and Oceanborn (melodic style)

Fast Metal

Sonata Arctica

Recommended Best 2:

Unia (prog) and Silence (fast and melodic)

Dragonforce

Recommended Best:

Valley of the Damned

Luca Turilli

Only one worth checking out (IMO):

Prophet of the Last Eclipse

Metalcore

Sonic Syndicate -> Only Inhuman

Bullet for my Valentine -> The Poison

Other

HIM

Recommended Best 2:

Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights and Venus Doom

The top five I would suggest you listen to are:

X Japan - Jealousy
HIM - Venus Doom
Sonata Arctica - Unia
Sonic Syndicate - Only Inhuman
Nightwish - Oceanborn

There are only three genres in that post: power metal, metalcore (with little metal influence), and not metal (HIM).

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Phobophile said:
There are only three genres in that post: power metal, metalcore (with little metal influence), and not metal (HIM).

Don't rag on the guy just because you're not savvy on your fast metals.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
SnakeXs said:

*laughs* Well... Sonata Arctica really aren't Power Metal, so I just called it "fast metal"

and HIM is very much metal, christ they always have been from a musical standpoint 'metal' it is just that the metal scene doesn't like it ^.^

and Nightwish no longer fits Power Metal, they used to but now they are more melodic operatic (is there a genre for it?)

X Japan is heavy metal with a huge slice of classical on the side

Really... it was just easier to divide it how I did than list all the broken up genres... :lol

Phobophile

lsslave said:
*laughs* Well... Sonata Arctica really aren't Power Metal, so I just called it "fast metal"

Last time I checked they were.

SnakeXs said:

Would quicksilver be a fast metal?

dr_evil.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom