• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obituary, not at all. Obituary is purposely simple/churning/grinding/ugly death metal, especially their first 2 albums. Early Death, not really. It was very rudimentary up until Human which makes sense because thats when all stars Paul Masvidal/Reinert of Cynic and bass god Steve DiGiorgio stepped in as session members to help shape the album. From there Death just got more and more silly.

Check out Atrocity's first 2 albums since you liked those early technical death metal bands.
Atrocity - Deep In Your Subconscious
Atrocity - Godless Years

some others from that era:
Monstrosity - Final Cremation
Brutality - These Walls Shall Be Your Grave
Brutality kinda have a special sound. Brutal death metal played with a lot of finesse and melody, yet doom sounding. Really an underrated band because they were latecomers.

btw, that Behexen song fucking rules.
Didn't like the songs you send it, but thanks for the input about the technical death metal bands. I was thinking, Opeth is on this genre too right? Prog-technical...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Didn't like the songs you send it, but thanks for the input about the technical death metal bands. I was thinking, Opeth is on this genre too right? Prog-technical...

I would hesitate to put Opeth in this group. There's not a lot of wankery-styled playing in their songs really, is there?

ShaneB

Super duper. Thanks for the recommendations again Greg. I'll have to check these out, Arsis has long been a favourite band of mine since their debut.

Greg

Super duper. Thanks for the recommendations again Greg. I'll have to check these out, Arsis has long been a favourite band of mine since their debut.
No problem - I hope you enjoy some of them! And yes, Arsis is one of my all-time favorites. I still don't think they've topped A Celebration of Guilt, but they're so consistent despite changing up their sound from release to release to keep it refreshing.

And I'm sure you've probably seen it if you follow them, but Scion released a free EP from them a few weeks ago - it's new stuff mixed with some remakes of some demos. It definitely has a throwback sound to it:
http://www.scionav.com/collection/1287/Arsis---Lepers-Caress

Melchiah

Here's the last song of Enochian Crescent, and the first of The Crescent.

https://itunes.apple.com/fi/album/enochian-crescent-single/id589697287

Unfortunately I can't upload the EC song on YouTube, as I'd prefer if people got to listen the last song without needing to buy it, but there it is nonetheless for those who might be interested.

Lyrics in Finnish, and translated to English:
aZ0Cgl.jpg

I really dislike "technical death metal" in general. It's super boring to me. Sounds like the musical equivalent of dudes jacking off onto their guitars.
Same. I do like Soulside Journey and Goatlord by Darkthrone, Nespithe by Demilich and North From Here by Sentenced though.
Bros, its the apocalypse and the winter solstice tonight. I think this calls for some cold and evil black metal.

I'm currently listening to this album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEUX5410kz8

Too bad it's clear and sunny out. Kind of ruining the mood here.
Death/doom is a better fit.
Listening to Unholy right now.

Terrifyer, to me, is their magnum opus. The raw emotional charge throughout the entire album is amazing. JR has to be one of my favorite lyricists.
38 Counts of Battery is by far their best.
Synthetic Utopia
Dark Satellites

Got a bit of an annoying request if anyone can help me out...

So, I have my tickets booked for Hellfest next year, and there are a fair few bands I don't know. If I put a list of the bands I do know/like, would anyone like to look through the line-up so far and recommend some of the other bands I should check out?

Here's the link to the line-up

The bands I know are: Down, Stone Sour, Bad Religion, Testament, At The Gates, Neurosis, Clutch, The Acacia Strain, Anti Flag, Arch Enemy, Atari Teenage Riot, Between The Buried And Me, Converge, Parkway Drive, Red Fang, Skindred, and Truckfighters.

Thanks in advance if anyone would take the time to recommend me some stuff to check out!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Thanks in advance if anyone would take the time to recommend me some stuff to check out!

Loads of awesome bands.

I would check Testament, Primordial, Helloween, Kreator, Accept, Saxon, Immortal, Wintersun, Korpiklaani. Also My Dying Bride if you like some doomish stuff.

Kiss, ZZ Top and Twisted Sister are a bit too mellow for this topic :p

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Terrifyer, to me, is their magnum opus. The raw emotional charge throughout the entire album is amazing.
Agreed. Still don't really love the new one all that much — something about the production on it throws me off.

Thanks to Giant Robot for mentioning Brutality. I totally forgot about that band — listening to Screams of Anguish on Spotify now. Awesome stuff.

blahness

So, I have my tickets booked for Hellfest next year, and there are a fair few bands I don't know. If I put a list of the bands I do know/like, would anyone like to look through the line-up so far and recommend some of the other bands I should check out?

The bands I know are: Down, Stone Sour, Bad Religion, Testament, At The Gates, Neurosis, Clutch, The Acacia Strain, Anti Flag, Arch Enemy, Atari Teenage Riot, Between The Buried And Me, Converge, Parkway Drive, Red Fang, Skindred, and Truckfighters.

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, Aura Noir

Sure.

Some preliminary recommendations:
I really recommend Immortal. (Melodic) Black metal, with thrash influences and their latest work flirts with heavy metal. Songs with great riffs about northern icy warriors battling on dark frozen plains and stuff. The music is very compatible with festivals, saw them twice and they did not disappoint. What's also very noteworthy is the show, with the old school corpse paint and outfits. But more spectacular is their use of firework and Abbath's firebreathing.

528248-bigthumbnailtpufg.jpg

Primordial was great when I saw them in 2008. Folk metal (celtic/pagan black) with an great vocalist. Excellent play, vocalist was very interactive with the audience.

Ihsahn is also pretty good. Vocalist from Emperor, now plays prog metal with a black metal base.

Converge is amazing live, so much energy.

As a consultant, I'm staffed at a company who has today off, but the company I work for doesn't, so I'm the only one in the office I'm staffed at(decided to come here instead of going to HQ).

That being said, its just me, blasting metal and writing code. Efficiency at 100%!

Found out earlier this month that Exivious, the one and only true jazz fusion metal band (T.R.A.M. doesn't count), is coming out with an album next year. Blew my mind for a sec, because I remember having come across a post from a bandmate on the Sevenstrings forum that they were done as a band.

If you've never heard of them...

Ripple of a Tear
Embrace The Unknown

Found out earlier this month that Exivious, the one and only true jazz fusion metal band (T.R.A.M. doesn't count), is coming out with an album next year. Blew my mind for a sec, because I remember having come across a post from a bandmate on the Sevenstrings forum that they were done as a band.

If you've never heard of them...

Ripple of a Tear
Embrace The Unknown

Exicious was hilarious the first time i heard their first demo. Hilarious because at the time no one had really done the "Cynic vocals" and was seen as a blatant rip off.

Fast forward many years later and 2 of the Exivious guys are in Cynic for the re-union shows. Either way, fun stuff.

Melchiah

I've listened to Mgla's With Hearts Toward None quite a lot during the Yule time, and it's refreshing to once again be moved by the atmosphere of the music, and the lyrics.

http://youtu.be/wHfUsIm0z28

Have ye courage, o my brethren?
The signs are everywhere.
Some did not see it coming,
others refused to see.
I can feel it in the tingle of the air,
in the heartbeat of the earth
And I can tell that the storm is
coming all down on me.

Come redemption
As the litany of abandonment
rings through ruined temples
As the darkest night of them all
falls upon the scorched
home shores
As the great fervour within
is crawling in stasis and dirt

Earthbound,
yet striving to walk upon the wind
Always downwards - and toward
the farthest sides of the north

There come
the agents of change,
stiff and inert
Pillars of reason
and pillars of belief,
In the footsteps
of their fathers' virtues
Always downwards - and toward
the farthest sides of the north
There is the nadir
There comes the storm

didn't see this posted anywhere, but FUCK. New Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats album details.

Yes, the news that everyone has been waiting for! Uncle Acid has confirmed to us the title and tracklisting of the bands forthcoming third album – Mind Control. Recorded and mixed by the Uncle at Chapel Studio’s, Lincolnshire over the Halloween period, this monumental piece of work is set to include the following tracks:

1. Mt. Abraxas
2. Mind Crawler
3. Poison Apple
4. Desert Ceremony
5. Evil Love
6. Death Valley Blues
7. Follow The Leader
8. Valley Of The Dolls
9. Devils Work

The album is set to be released (on Rise Above Records) to coincide with their sell-out debut London show at The Garage on Friday March 22nd (tickets are still available for the added date on 23rd but selling fast!) and Roadburn appearance. More dates and info on the album coming soon!

Melchiah

Mgla is fucking awesome. Groza is still my fav but I love their new album.

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not going to see them, when they played here. I'll have to give Groza a listen.

And it's good their lyrics are on the level of music, as it's always a disappointment to find out that an album you like has awful lyrics. I particularly liked these lines on the first song.
No golden thrones to follow
No shrines of solace to be found
And only the locusts shall sing
at the end of the day

It was kinda fitting to listen to the album, while driving over two hours in this weather. ;)
orgHu.jpg

EDIT: It's somewhat funny to see the last song of my previous band, Enochian Crescent (now known as The Crescent), which I posted a while back, on the iTunes charts of Finland, among all the Xmas songs. =D

eI6K3.jpg

EDIT.2: Gaahl apparently likes people being married to their smart phones as much as I do. =D
yioZ2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom