• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

This is happening.....

new-images-onesheet-for-brook.jpg

http://brookvalerecords.com/dream-theater-images-and-words-on-vinyl/

I understand collecting vinyl memorabilia as a hobby, but does it really sound any different/better than a 320kps MP3 file playing through high quality speakers or headphones?

There was a new Kreator album, check it out!

Don't, it's garbage.

Really? I thought it was pretty good.

I understand collecting vinyl memorabilia as a hobby, but does it really sound any different/better than a 320kps MP3 file playing through high quality speakers or headphones?

Technically, if the CD if from the same master as the vinyl, no. If someone is investing in quality speakers, and other equipment, they will sound the nearly identical. vinyls just contain a specific, um...'sound'(I don't know how else to word it) that many people enjoy.

However if someone creates a better master for a vinyl, well yeah, it should sound better.

Blackheim

On the topic of Death Metal, have some Southwicked:

Green River Killing Fields

Allen West (Obituary, Six Feet Under) has a new band (well not that new anymore) and I guess a lot of people aren't aware :p If you're a fan of the old Obituary stuff, this should suit you just fine.

choodi

Banned

I challenge anyone to listen to Decide's Legion album on vinyl and not be convinced that vinyl just makes metal sound that much better.

strafer

Disarm the Descent is the upcoming sixth studio album by American metalcore band Killswitch Engage. The album is set for release on April 2, 2013, under Roadrunner Records. It is the band's first album featuring Jesse Leach on vocals since 2002's Alive or Just Breathing.[1] Leach rejoined the band in February 2012, after vocalist Howard Jones parted ways with the group. The album's first single, "In Due Time", is set for digital release on February 5, 2013. The album was produced by Adam Dutkiewicz and mixed by Andy Sneap.

"Disarm The Descent" track listing:

01. The Hell In Me
02. Beyond The Flames
03. New Awakening
04. In Due Time
05. A Tribute To The Fallen
06. The Turning Point
07. All That We Have
08. You Don't Bleed For Me
09. The Call
10. No End In Sight
11. Always
12. Time Will Not Remain

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=184500

hype mode on

Vio-Lence

Banned
brother Grim - i listened to one of the newsted tracks called soldierhead. it sounded sort of like a motorhead song to me and his vocals sound a lot like chuck billy.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
brother Grim - i listened to one of the newsted tracks called soldierhead. it sounded sort of like a motorhead song to me and his vocals sound a lot like chuck billy.

Im gonna give it a second shot. I listened to something that sounded very mid nineties tallica and didnt retain any of it in that one listening.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I've been going through all the awesome metal that came out in 2012 and trying to come up with what my favorite album is, and really it wasn't much of a contest in the end:

pwLCq.jpg

Probably the most amazing doom I've heard since Sleep's Dopesmoker, Pallbearer just slays. Mind-numbing riffs, amazing vocals, and killer production just put it over the top. They remind me of YOB crossed with Warning crossed with The Deep Blue. The fact that they are from my home town of Little Rock, Arkansas is just icing on a delicious, riff-filled cake.

Honorable Mentions:

Bell Witch - Longing...
Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
Pig Destroyer - Book Burner
Old Man Gloom - No
Wintersun - Time I
Blut Aus Nord - 777 Cosmosophy

-Eddman-

Anyone following Newstead's cashgrab..er I mean reappearance efforts?

Listened the song. It's not that bad, cool for the guy if he's having fun with his band. He's not playing Metallica songs (yet) so I don't see (yet) why we should call this project a "cashgrab".

It can if the vinyl has been mastered right if that makes any sense.

Technically, if the CD if from the same master as the vinyl, no. If someone is investing in quality speakers, and other equipment, they will sound the nearly identical. vinyls just contain a specific, um...'sound'(I don't know how else to word it) that many people enjoy.

However if someone creates a better master for a vinyl, well yeah, it should sound better.

I challenge anyone to listen to Decide's Legion album on vinyl and not be convinced that vinyl just makes metal sound that much better.

So even if the master is the same, it still produces a different type of sound? I don't understand the audio science behind this. I understand the style factor that would cause somebody to prefer this method, but it seems like it would be a placebo effect if the masters are exactly the same. But some vinyls are mastered differently? I wonder how frequently that happens.

The reason I'm even asking about this is because I'm considering investing in a player. I've heard so many good things about vinyl sound quality but I haven't been able to pin down what specific musical benefits there are, and since it's an expensive hobby to break into, I'm not willing to throw down a bunch of money if I can get the same experience from my iPod. Seriously, $30 for that Dream Theater vinyl? That's some crazy shit.

Melchiah

I just heard that there'll be a Behexen/Absu/The Devil's Blood gig in March here in Helsinki/Finland. It'll be interesting to hear the new Behexen songs live, and see Absu again, as I mostly missed their last gig a couple of years ago. I was too busy talking with friends while they played, which tends to happen quite often at gigs. =) The Devil's Blood, and their genre in general, doesn't really interest me that much.

Kaladin

So even if the master is the same, it still produces a different type of sound? I don't understand the audio science behind this. I understand the style factor that would cause somebody to prefer this method, but it seems like it would be a placebo effect if the masters are exactly the same. But some vinyls are mastered differently? I wonder how frequently that happens.

The reason I'm even asking about this is because I'm considering investing in a player. I've heard so many good things about vinyl sound quality but I haven't been able to pin down what specific musical benefits there are, and since it's an expensive hobby to break into, I'm not willing to throw down a bunch of money if I can get the same experience from my iPod. Seriously, $30 for that Dream Theater vinyl? That's some crazy shit.

If the sound is different on vinyl, it's usually because someone took the time to specifically master an older album for vinyl, or it was recorded to be on vinyl. Older, pre-digital albums can typically sound better on vinyl. Also, if a newer album was recorded with analog equipment, it can have a different sound. Typically, the best things to get on vinyl are older albums, re-releases such as that Dream Theater record which (I think) was re-mastered for the vinyl release or albums from niche record labels who cater to their vinyl customers to make their vinyls sound better. Southern Lord is usually good for that in metal. Steven Wilson also typically does good vinyl masters for the bands he's involved with. Otherwise you'll probably get an LP that sounds just like the CD.

Also, $30 is a bit on the high end, but typical for a limited re-release of an album such as that.....expect to pay $20 - $30 for newer vinyls. Stuff bought in a record store can vary depending on popularity and condition.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
If the sound is different on vinyl, it's usually because someone took the time to specifically master an older album for vinyl, or it was recorded to be on vinyl. Older, pre-digital albums can typically sound better on vinyl. Also, if a newer album was recorded with analog equipment, it can have a different sound. Typically, the best things to get on vinyl are older albums, re-releases such as that Dream Theater record which (I think) was re-mastered for the vinyl release or albums from niche record labels who cater to their vinyl customers to make their vinyls sound better. Southern Lord is usually good for that in metal. Steven Wilson also typically does good vinyl masters for the bands he's involved with. Otherwise you'll probably get an LP that sounds just like the CD.

Also, $30 is a bit on the high end, but typical for a limited re-release of an album such as that.....expect to pay $20 - $30 for newer vinyls. Stuff bought in a record store can vary depending on popularity and condition.

This pretty much sums it up. Vinyl, mastered correctly and played on a decent turntable, sounds so much more incredibly awesome than digital of any form. It's more of an expansive sound, I suppose due to it being analog. It sounds richer, more there, if that makes sense. Kinda like hearing a really good band live, as opposed to on the radio.

I started listening to vinyl as a kid, spinning stuff like Elvis and the Mommas and the Papas on my parents old turntable, all the way up to now on a fairly high-end system, and those same records I played back then still sound amazing now, and don't hold a candle to the CD versions. I know vinyl has sort of turned into a hip kinda thing, but it really does honestly sound better given the proper conditions.

Watevaman

I don't listen to many vinyls (the only vinyls I have are Sigh albums) but damn if I don't enjoy the occasional crackle that occurs on them. Really lends to the feeling the albums give me.

I really wish I could get some Blind Guardian vinyls. Would love to have their old stuff.

Flynn

I just heard that there'll be a Behexen/Absu/The Devil's Blood gig in March here in Helsinki/Finland. It'll be interesting to hear the new Behexen songs live, and see Absu again, as I mostly missed their last gig a couple of years ago. I was too busy talking with friends while they played, which tends to happen quite often at gigs. =) The Devil's Blood, and their genre in general, doesn't really interest me that much.

The Devil's Blood had a hard time winning over the crowd when I saw them with Behemoth and Watain. I am cool with them.

Just saw The Sword at the Underworld in London and they killed it. The set had a lot from Apocryphon, but a couple of older tracks too and a bunch from Warp Riders, real fun night. I enjoyed the support too, Amulet, a no-nonsense British heavy metal band with a touch of Sabbath, and Lonely Kamel, a fucking dirty-as-hell stoner rock band from Norway who were really, really awesome.

Melchiah

The Devil's Blood had a hard time winning over the crowd when I saw them with Behemoth and Watain. I am cool with them.

They've usually been well-received at black/death metal festivals over here, but personally I'm not that fond of the occult rock thing. The 60's Coven was good at times, but that's it for me.

spink

having different masters for vinyl is industry standard.

I appreciate and understand the love for vinyl, but I listen to all my music in cans so I'm not into it.
I prefer a clean digital rip, the warmth of vinyl is lost when it is ripped to flac or mp3

This pretty much sums it up. Vinyl, mastered correctly and played on a decent turntable, sounds so much more incredibly awesome than digital of any form. It's more of an expansive sound, I suppose due to it being analog. It sounds richer, more there, if that makes sense. Kinda like hearing a really good band live, as opposed to on the radio.

I started listening to vinyl as a kid, spinning stuff like Elvis and the Mommas and the Papas on my parents old turntable, all the way up to now on a fairly high-end system, and those same records I played back then still sound amazing now, and don't hold a candle to the CD versions. I know vinyl has sort of turned into a hip kinda thing, but it really does honestly sound better given the proper conditions.

I don't listen to many vinyls (the only vinyls I have are Sigh albums) but damn if I don't enjoy the occasional crackle that occurs on them. Really lends to the feeling the albums give me.

I really wish I could get some Blind Guardian vinyls. Would love to have their old stuff.

All of this sounds awesome, but how common is it for a vinyl to be specifically mastered for the format?

having different masters for vinyl is industry standard.

I appreciate and understand the love for vinyl, but I listen to all my music in cans so I'm not into it.
I prefer a clean digital rip, the warmth of vinyl is lost when it is ripped to flac or mp3

Oh, lovely. Is that information commonly advertised? Is it easy to avoid lazy vinyls that would sound the same as their mp3 counterpart?

FYC

Banned
AnthraxStateOfEuphoria_Improved.jpg

Anthrax - Finale

I love this album. Every Belladonna Anthrax album is awesome. I think Persistence of Time might be my favorite, but of course, Among The Living and Spreading The Disease rule as well. Worship Music is pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom