• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Micheal J. Fox show

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found that pretty disappointing, but it seems like the show has potential to grow and turn into something really good. I was kind of reminded of the early episodes of 30 Rock.

The aunt character seems really cliche and superfluous though.

GQman2121

Banned
About what I expected. The Bunk and the sister saved it from being terrible. Sad though they're clearly attempting to do what Mo Fam has already run into the ground. NBC is in trouble on Thursday nights.

The second episode was much better than the first one. I hope it does well.

I actually like the pilot more than the second episode. The 2nd one felt more along the lines of the ol' basic feely-good family formula sitcoms of old follow. I was expecting the worse however there is something to be found. Just needs a bit more tweaking.

I also hate the aunt character. I hope they get rid of her soon.

Tamanon

Banned
It was alright. Seemed to really want to be Modern Family, And weird to see Rachel's Dad from Suits as a wannabe playboy.

They reused the exterior shot of the apartment used on Will and Grace. Now they just need to have Grace and Will show up as a cameo.

ivysaur12

Banned
Jesus christ, every writer on this show is from Community or Happy Endings.

"We have a k.d. lang CD"
"Who's that?"
"Oh honey, we have a lesbian coming over, you have to do your research"

That was a good laugh.

Dthomp

I absolutely loved these episodes, hell it amazed me that it caused my wife to delete Glee (Utter trash) from our DVR lineup to add MJF Show. Laughed so much during this hour. Can't wait for more

aparisi2274

I liked it, but I would like see a bit more MJF and little less of his kids.

I think the show would be funnier if MJF had more interactions with people who are not accustomed to his disease and how they react to meeting him...

bengraven

It was bad? That sucks, though it may work out in the end.

I used to adore MJF back when I was younger, as a role model and obviously he's a great guy these days. I hope this works out for him.

Plus, my sister in law works on this show, so I'm hoping to keep her employed. :p

R.I.P

Quite enjoyed this, though I am a huge fan of MJF so seeing him in a big role again made it for me. Otherwise the first two episodes were fairly generic. The kids were alright but the aunt is really fucking annoying.

I really hope the show makes it. It isn't the best or funniest show out there but it just feels nice to have another show like this out there. It's been awhile since we've had a comedy that isn't shoving adult-esque humor in every joke.

Norns

How did I miss this?

Watched the trailer, this looks great.

And it's on hulu, guess I know what i'm watching tonight.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Awesome! I'm glad he has his condition under enough control to be able to do this, and also that he's not against making comedy out of it (well, that was pretty obvious when he was on Curb).

EDIT: Oh, it has started already? Didn't realize the thread was old!

ivysaur12

Banned
Haven't watched the second episode but really liked the pilot.

It's worse, unfortunately. A few good lines here and there, but I actually feel the same way I did after Go On -- a really strong pilot with a great POV that then becomes something a lot more saturated because This Is The Network Savior This Season.

Either way, it's a good creative team behind it, so I home they can liven up the Jokes Per Minute. It's desperately attempting to be Modern Family, but Modern Family's first two episodes on Wednesdays were also considerably funnier with more legitimate character moments.

Social

There was a lot of mumbling, the editing seemed all over the place and very hectic and this whole "hero" crap was really making me sigh..

syko de4d

I like the MJF scenes. There should be less kids/sister and more MJF in this series. Show me more about his work as a newsanchor.

I only saw the second episode, but found it slow and boring mostly. as much as I like MJF and Marie, everyone else in the show is unlikeable.

I only saw the second episode, but found it slow and boring mostly. as much as I like MJF and Marie, everyone else in the show is unlikeable.

What about The Bunk? He's just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick. What's not to like? But seriously, I think Wendell Pierce (WhO is playing Mikes Producer btw) is an awesome actor.

And obviously no one knows who MJF is anymore, as I personally would have expected a lot more just for the name alone. NBC just doesn't have any luck with comedy it seems.

Dude has been on virtually every season of The Good Wife and had previous stints on Rescue Me and Boston Legal, hard to believe he would be forgotten. His Good Wife character is basically just a shadier version of the guy on this show.

That being said, the problem for me was more how heavy handed this was. Everything from the name to the setup, heck, even having Marie in there. Just over the top.

HKnightz

Am I the only one bothered that the title says "Micheal?" :-(
On topic, the show has potential and was pretty funny overall. Will watch again next week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really like MJF, the guy he works with and his show-wife. The kids and sister I could do without. Other than that it's got a lot of potential.

sk3

Banned
He was much much better on both Curb and Rescue Me. I'm just not digging the wholesome family sitcom thing.

teiresias

I have to admit that:

"I'm failing you."

"What?"

"The whole thing was manipulative."

"You can beee my hero daaaddy!!"

made me lol.

I commend Fox for having the guts to do this, but I honestly found the show tough to watch. I found myself distracted by his movements to the point where I could not pay attention to the dialogue.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Here's what's off about the second episode (the pilot was "OK"): every single character in this show is up front about everything, even when the daughter is being a manipulative jerk trying to make her father out to be a hero, she admits her failings.

Except, until, MJF can't admit he's attracted to some other chick who made him feel good about himself. Big deal. She was flirty, he dropped the ball, was flirty back, who cares. It's just completely out of character for MJF and it was really off putting and unfunny. Especially after he'd already been caught and he insisted on blocking his friend. It made no sense. It makes MJF seem stupid, Homer-esque, and childish, which the pilot didn't indicate at all.

I'll still stick around for the entire season, mind you, I love MJF and I hope the best for this show, and if the whole neighbor thing was a nod to his real life wife, just because it was a cheesy idea MJF had, I'd overlook it.

Just goes to show you, though, how show trailers make a show out to be goddamn amazing, and it turns out mediocre at best. (Awake was unbelievable at that, just simply insane, I saw that trailer a hundred times, and I'm not exaggerating, I thought it was going to be groundbreaking television.)

RobbieNick

Only saw the pilot. It was okay, kinda soft and dull. a few laughs here and there.

Michael in the rocking and shaking news van. "Y'know, this is still for me." Made me laugh.

Linius

I guess I liked the first two episodes. It wasn't all that great but I had a few laughs and I like it to see MJ Fox back on TV. The creepy emo kid cracked me up in the end at the photo booth :p

Mission

I enjoyed the Pilot but I really almost felt like the second episode was a different show. It just felt very different and not in a good way. I'd say it felt forced or something.

Also, took me a minute to remember I was looking at Tracey Pollan. Sigh... Age. Not that she's not looking good for her age, just that age changed her enough that it took that long.

ivysaur12

Banned
3rd episode was tonight. Funnier. Still... I'm smiling a lot, not really laughing. But it's a lot better than the 2nd episode, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom