• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The" Miguel Cotto VS Saúl "Canelo" Álvarez. Puerto Rico VS México, Saturday 11/21/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuXx

I thought Canelo looked slow and flat footed the entire night, Canelo had the most effective punches through out the fight, Cotto was the way busier fighter.

Canelo winning was the best outcome for boxing, though.

RootCause

Finally Golovkin will get his chance and become the MW champ cause lord knows Cotto would never have fought him.
Fight shouldn't happen either way. Only in boxing is it okay for a guy to fight for the 160 belt, and show up close to 180. It's ridiculous. Not sure why anyone would want to watch a match with such a clear disadvantage.
Canelo was in a different wheight class tonight. Things should be more even between GGG, and Canelo though. Should be an exciting match.

Fight shouldn't happen either way. Only in boxing is it okay for a guy to fight for the 160 belt, and show up close to 180. It's ridiculous. Not sure why anyone would want to watch a match with such a clear disadvantage.
Canelo was in a different wheight class tonight. Things should be more even between GGG, and Canelo though. Should be an exciting match.

All combat sports are like this.

CUZQ1LKU8AAmjxF.jpg

Pretty much, and all those catch weight nonsense from Cotto was bad as well. If you're the MW champ then you can weigh all the way up to 160, no excuses. We'll see how solid Canelos chin is when he faces legitimate MWs.

The beast from the east is waiting..

goober

I don't follow boxing as much, but Canelo just looked bigger than Cotto. I agree with you. He was fighting a bigger opponent and went the distance.

Now people talking about GGG, but they're talking about a catch weight? Why's that when they're in the same class?
Maybe I misunderstand what a catchweight is.

I thought Canelo looked slow and flat footed the entire night, Canelo had the most effective punches through out the fight, Cotto was the way busier fighter.

Canelo winning was the best outcome for boxing, though.
Took him forever to follow up his power shot with some follow up punches. But I think he came alive in round 11 and 12, I bet everyone ringside thought cotto was bout to get ko'd those last rounds.

I don't follow boxing as much, but Canelo just looked bigger than Cotto. I agree with you. He was fighting a bigger opponent and went the distance.

Now people talking about GGG, but they're talking about a catch weight? Why's that when they're in the same class?

Cotto as champion stipulated catch weights in all of his title bouts cause in reality he's a blown up WW who caught the previous MW champ at just the right time.

Canelo as a naturally bigger man won't have to resort to draining opponents to gain an advantage.

RootCause

Pretty much, and all those catch weight nonsense from Cotto was bad as well. If you're the MW champ then you can weigh all the way up to 160, no excuses. We'll see how solid Canelos chin is when he faces legitimate MWs.

The beast from the east is waiting..
Catch weight stuff has got to go, but that ain't happening unfortunately.
Cotto's punch had no effect, perhaps a combination of the wheight difference and a strong chin. I didn't expect him to hurt him, at the very least make him retreat a couple of times, but nothing. Canelo was unfazed.

Hope Canelo, and GGG happens.

TuXx

He says this now, but he was playing games before. I think the fight will happen eventually, but i'll believe it when it's official.

I think it'll happen next. Team Golovkin is desperate for a big fight. They'll accept a 157 catchweight.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oh Canelo definitely won, but the scorecards were too wide. I had it about 8-4 for Canelo obviously. Cotto doesn't have the power of fight here, every punch from Canelo swayed his body back and forth.

alterno69

Banned
Honest question, who the hell is Golovkin, just saw the most recent highlights video i found on youtube and it seems he has faced no one relevant, he reminds me of a younger Canelo, doesn't seem a very good boxer at 35, powerful yes but kinda roough isn't him?

Like i said, before this week i had never heard of him but of coure i don't follow boxing much.

EdmondD

Honest question, who the hell is Golovkin, just saw the most recent highlights video i found on youtube and it seems he has faced no one relevant, he reminds me of a younger Canelo, doesn't seem a very good boxer at 35, powerful yes but kinda roough isn't him?

Like i said, before this week i had never heard of him but of coure i don't follow boxing much.

You can't judge someone's boxing skill from highlights on youtube. That's ridiculous and ignorant man. At least watch a full fight of his. They don't last long because he destroys people. He's trying to find relevant opponents but they are scared of getting knocked the fuck out.

Yeah, he can box but he doesn't need to with the kind of power he has. He is a bit rough but he is growing with every fight and I'm sure he is aware he needs to work more on his boxing because he is more of a brawler type fighter. Ask people here who would win between him and Canelo and I guarantee you almost everyone will say GGG. There is a reason for that. He is one of if not the most exciting boxer right now.

That's when you know this was fixed. How the fuck do the judges give Canelo the 1st round?
Lederman's card was more accurate. And he gave Cotto the first round. Did any of you agreed with Roach's comments when Max talked to him during the 10th round and said Cotto had great chance because of the jabs?

Leunam

Enjoyed the fight but I find it really hard to praise Canelo too much. Not much head movement, even though his upper body movement is wonderful. Always flat footed. Couldn't make anything happen when he has Cotto against the ropes. Odd lack of combinations on Cotto, which is where I think he really shines. Still looked like he had stamina issues. Dude can really take a punch, though Cotto had a hard time finding his mark with his left hook.

Sad that Cotto couldn't take more rounds, but a good win for Alvarez all the same. I think it's time he leave his San Diego training camps and train up in Big Bear with Abel Sanchez, after the GGG fight of course.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Rewatched the fight and I overturn my previous decision that it should have been closer. Canelo landed more punches and the majority were power punches. I still gave Cotto 3 round.s

Canelo looks a lot better, better ring cutting, more feints and head movement. Really good fight.

VoxPop

Both to co main and main were fantastic. I was hoping Cotto could pull it off but it looks as if age is getting the better of him at this point. That and the fact that Canelo looked beastly standing next to him. Is Canelo/GGG even in the realm of possibility?

Both to co main and main were fantastic. I was hoping Cotto could pull it off but it looks as if age is getting the better of him at this point. That and the fact that Canelo looked beastly standing next to him. Is Canelo/GGG even in the realm of possibility?

I don't see how Canelo would stand a chance against GGG

eXtv

Banned
I don't see how Canelo would stand a chance against GGG

Canelo is great in exchanges, Golovkin isn't. Golovkin is good when he's bullying and crowding, but in exchanges he tends to just cover up. I don't think Canelo stays active enough to keep him busy, though. I just hope we see them in the ring, we know Oscar doesn't want to see his favourite son get battered.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Can't imagine the "Canelo era" going straight for GGG since that would likely end it right there. But for both fighters that's the only fight people really want to see.

Rewatched the fight and I overturn my previous decision that it should have been closer. Canelo landed more punches and the majority were power punches. I still gave Cotto 3 round.s

Canelo looks a lot better, better ring cutting, more feints and head movement. Really good fight.

The stats agree with you.

Here's a look at the top stats behind the unanimous decision, according to CompuBox.

" Canelo Alvarez outlanded Miguel Cotto 155-129 and had a higher connect percentage (32 percent to Cotto's 21 percent).

" Entering the fight, Alvarez was landing 49 percent of power punches, third-highest among active fighters. He landed 40 percent of power punches against Cotto (118-of-298). Cotto landed 75-of-255 for 29 percent.

" Fifty-nine percent of Alvarez's landed punches were to Cotto's right side (Alvarez's left hand). In his five previous fights, 49 percent of his landed punches had been to the right side of opponents.

" Alvarez landed 57 percent of punches to Cotto's head and 43 percent to the body.

" Alvarez became the 14th fighter to win world titles at junior middleweight and middleweight and the first from Mexico to do so.

" Alvarez improves to 3-0 against Puerto Rican fighters, having defeated Kermit Cintron in November 2011 and Jose Cotto, Miguel’s older brother, in May 2010.

" Cotto's three-fight win streak was snapped with the loss. Of his five career losses, three of them were by decision. He is now 8-2 against Mexican fighters.

ZoddGutts

GGG won't fade in the later rounds he'll hit just as hard as the early rounds, the jab alone would be affected against Canelo in those late rounds. Canelo look tired in some of the later rounds, Cotto could've done a bit more in those rounds but Cotto look tired as well, guess old age got up to him.

Leunam

Not a good year for Roach. Cotto, Pacquiao, Provodnikov, and I think Zou Shchiming lost as well? Am I forgetting anything?

Tubie

This is exactly what I was seeing during the fight, and people said I was crazy for only giving Cotto 1 round before the 7th. There were 4 rounds that a judge could've given to Cotto during the fight, but only 1 of them that was a sure 100% Cotto win. This is why one judge scored it 11-1. I would've scored it 9-3, but knowing how judges favor hard punches that do have an effect on the other fighter, I ended up with 10-2.

Also, Canelo really has no excuse to not fight GGG at 160. Canelo was probably 170+ for this fight and that was at 155. Hell, I actually think if Canelo and GGG fight, Canelo would still look the bigger man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom