• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The" Miguel Cotto VS Saúl "Canelo" Álvarez. Puerto Rico VS México, Saturday 11/21/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

Miguel Cotto

IYSDJX8.jpg

Versus

Saúl "Canelo" Álvarez

mmkXfMr.jpg

Cotto vs. Canelo Fight Overview
By Hamilton Nolan

It is interesting that Canelo Alvarez (45-1-1, 32 KOs) and Miguel Cotto (40-4, 33 KOs) are standing on the precipice of the hottest fight in boxing, because they have very little in common. Canelo is young. Cotto is old(er). Canelo is a Mexican idol. Cotto is a Puerto Rican idol. Canelo is stout, angled, and explosive, like a robot made of fast-twitch muscle fiber. Cotto is rounded, smooth, and heavier than the scale will tell you, with punches that whistle in with the inevitability of a wrecking ball. Canelo has never been seriously hurt. Cotto has been in as many wars as anyone still at the top of the sport. They are not alike. Nor are they the sort of polar opposites that sometimes make fights intriguing out of sheer zaniness. What they do have in common, though, render all their dissimilarities unimportant: their skills are A-level premiere; they are both two-fisted knockout punchers; and they both come to fight. That is all that matters. That is enough.

Looking into boxing’s soon-to-come post-Mayweather future, those who control the sport see a new world in which the major pay-per-view stars will actually be action fighters; a world in which promoters do not have to go to all the trouble of convincing fans anew that this pay-per-view fight will be different, only to hear the gripes after it turns out to be another dazzling defensive masterpiece that lacks the bloodshed that the average fight fan expects when they shell out money. Floyd Mayweather was too good defensively to thrill the general public. Manny Pacquiao was too good offensively in his prime to find any fair fights. But the next generation of pay-per-view stars are aggressive enough to produce the wars that the public craves. One of those fighters is Gennady Golovkin, dangerous but also polished after a long amateur career. The other is Canelo Alvarez—also dangerous, but not as experienced or polished, and therefore all the more entertaining. For Canelo, unlike some more masterful and mature boxers, the enticing possibility of folly still remains.

Six years ago, after being savagely beaten by Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto looked to be nearing the end of his career. Four years ago, after a surprise loss to Austin Trout, Miguel Cotto looked to be nearing the end of his career. But in between and since those fights, he has proven himself to be much more resilient than he appeared in his darkest moments. He avenged his loss to Antonio Margarito, beating him handily in dominating fashion; he performed respectably against Floyd Mayweather, even managing to land some punches on the smooth-faced wonder; and his last three fights have been demonstrations of the fact that his fabled left hook is still heavy enough to knock out respectable middleweights. Miguel Cotto, like Juan Manuel Marquez, is one of those rare ageless fighters of top quality able to walk through brutal wars and continue to function at the highest level. He is a rare breed, and he has earned his national hero status fair and square.

That said: Miguel Cotto should be viewed as something of an underdog in this fight. He is naturally smaller than Canelo. Though strong for his size, he does not possess the flashy, fiery strength of Canelo, who punches with at least a tiny flash of the sort of cringe-inducing power that made Mike Tyson so terrifying to watch. Canelo, though technically sound, has very apparent flaws as a fighter—he fights in spots, splitting rounds into very distinct periods of resting, regrouping, and attacking, which gives a cerebral and fluid opponent a natural way to confound him by disrupting this rhythm. Cotto has the savvy and experience to execute this game plan if he so chooses. But while Cotto is certainly capable of moving constantly, changing his attack, and boxing rather than brawling (see his victory over Margarito for a prime example of this), he has his own flaw in this matchup: there is no way for him to win without hurting Canelo. And even if his power does turn out to be enough to do that, there is no way for him to hurt Canelo without standing and trading punches with Canelo. And standing and trading punches with Canelo poses a much greater risk to Cotto than it does to the bigger, stronger, more explosive redhead, who can knock down very rugged middleweights with either hand, to the body or head.

To win this fight, Miguel Cotto must give the performance of a lifetime, particularly on defense. Canelo Alvarez must simply be his normal vicious self. There is a dark horse possibility that we will all find out that Canelo’s chin, which has never seriously been tested over the course of a long fight, is not as sturdy as the rest of him. But that would seem like an outside bet. A Cotto victory would give him his pick of opponents across three divisions. But a Cotto loss would not diminish his status very much, assuming he fights with the warrior’s courage he has always displayed. For Canelo, Cotto would represent the most prestigious win on his young résumé. This will be an action fight. Enjoy it. You’ll be paying to see many, many more before Canelo is done.

Undercard

Takashi Miura vs. Francisco Vargas
Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Drian Francisco
Jayson Velez vs. Ronny Rios

Graphics Interchange Format

cotto.gif

FearfulVeneratedAmericanbobtail.gif

https://gfycat.com/ShowyAgreeableCrossbill

http://imgur.com/K7DPD0h

Hype Videos

HBO's fight overview (1 Minute)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsWEqvorly0

Face Off: Cotto/Canelo – Full Show (14 Minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEZDemQM_18

24/7: Cotto vs. Canelo (24 Minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNfaYRR1CJo

Greatest Hits: Miguel Cotto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFuudIYVzIw

Greatest Hits: Canelo Alvarez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuSTvDjB38o

Cotto vs. Geale. Cotto's last fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufq1g3wUHg4

Canelo vs. Kirkland. Canelo's last fight. AKA, watch Canelo murder someone with his bare hands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmcYq37KX-k

HiResDes

I think if Cotto plays this right he'll get the decision as his defense is just that good, but if this becomes one of those punch wars or a real brawl I gotta go with Canelo. With that being said I predict a split decision in favor of Cotto.

Tubie

Great OT

Yea, if this turns into a brawl then Canelo has the advantage, but Cotto is probably smart enough to try and avoid that.

The undercard doesn't look too bad either.

Oxn

After the divaness of Cotto, I want Canelo to win, and I dont even like Canelo.

I use to like Cotto too....

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Awesome. I am having my birthday party tomorrow and will be ordering the fight. Not sure who to root for. As a Mexican it should be easy but both fighters bring excitement. I just want to see a good boxing match and im sure both are going to bring it. Cotto has reinvented himself after adding Roach to his corner.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
If you were burned by Pacquiao and Mayweather... watch this. This will be the big fight of the year, guaranteed. Rooting for Cotto here (PR in da hooouuuseee).

studyguy

Expecting Cotto/Roach to be play by staying lay low for a couple rounds and then start to bring it on Canelo as he inevitably starts to gas in later rounds. Canelo excels against dudes who bring it head on like he did with Angulo and as that gif shows above absolutely devastating Kirkland. Dudes who lead Canelo in the ring have historically given him problems though (lara and mayweather), just keep turning the dude and he gets frustrated, Cotto's no fucking joke and I expect him to make use of that knowledge along with his experience.

Tom_Cody

Great OT. Can't wait to read through it properly when I've some more time later.

Hoping for an upset!

Dope OT!!! Cant' wait for the fight. Sad to see Ward off the card, but even happier to see Rigo added to the card.

Great OT

Yea, if this turns into a brawl then Canelo has the advantage, but Cotto is probably smart enough to try and avoid that.

The undercard doesn't look too bad either.
Thanks guys!

I'm happy to see that people are excited about the fight.

BadAss2961

Nice OT.

I just wanna see a good fight, but I think Canelo's got this. Cotto and Roach are thinking too much of their pairing after beating a fading Martinez and an outclassed Daniel Geale. He's still post-plaster at the hands of Margarito Cotto.

My money is on Canelo, I think he's too strong for Cotto, HOWEVER, I would LOOOOVVVVEEEEE to see Cotto/Roach get that win. Canelo is still young, he can take another L from another HOFer......

Leunam

Except for catch weight fuckery, I really like The Cotto. Not sure whether to root for him as I feel he is the better boxer at this stage, or root for my, uh, roots and side with Canelo.

Alvarez didn't really impress me against Lara, and Kirkland and Angulo were basically fodder for him, so I hope he puts in a performance.

Except for catch weight fuckery, I really like The Cotto. Not sure whether to root for him as I feel he is the better boxer at this stage, or root for my, uh, roots and side with Canelo.

Alvarez didn't really impress me against Lara, and Kirkland and Angulo were basically fodder for him, so I hope he puts in a performance.

Yeah, I agree. Another part of me wants to see Canelo win because I think he's just young enough and stupid enough to get in the ring with GGG.

Rooting for Canelo but I have this feeling Cotto's gonna pull one of those "crafty old guy takes the young pup to school" type of performances. Or this could also be when he looks his age. Either way can't wait.

It's going to be great. Canelo, for geographic reasons, but it won't be easy at all. Loved that faceoff, Cotto is awesome.

Great OT by the by.

Leunam

If Canelo somehow loses, I really hope he takes a good hard look at his camp. Nothing against Chepo and Eddy, but he could do better, especially if he moved to a team that pushes his conditioning way more.

Jal

Age will be a big advantage in this one for Canelo, although he's had more professional fights than Cotto, 47 bouts and only 25 wtf?

Tom_Cody

Age will be a big advantage in this one for Canelo, although he's had more professional fights than Cotto, 47 bouts and only 25 wtf?

He turned pro at like 16. This is the case a lot with Mexican fighters. They fight early and often.
Some people dismiss Canelo as a coddled matinee idol, but the reality is that he's a Mexican who came up the hard way. He just happens to have come out unscathed.

This a major element of his appeal as a fighter.

Wait, Canelo is still fighting? I though the Mexican TV monopoly destroyed his career because he would do everything they said, hmm.

studyguy

Some people dismiss Canelo as a coddled matinee idol, but the reality is that he's a Mexican who came up the hard way.

At this point that's more Chavez Jr. Fuck that dude. That's literally no skill banking on a name.

I was there live at Stubhub watching that chump fight Fonfara. Crying foul every other round and then putting up no defense when he got frustrated. Then he had the gall to say he thought he was winning. Fuck, Chavez senior was there and I'm sure he was as mortified as the crowd.

Tom_Cody

At this point that's more Chavez Jr. Fuck that dude. That's literally no skill banking on a name.

I was there live at Stubhub watching that chump fight Fonfara. Crying foul every other round and then putting up no defense when he got frustrated. Then he had the gall to say he thought he was winning. Fuck, Chavez senior was there and I'm sure he was as mortified as the crowd.
That was one of the funniest post-fight interviews of all time.

At least Amir Imam put on a pretty great fight on that undercard. He's one of my most hyped prospects.

studyguy

That was one of the funniest post-fight interviews of all time.

At least Amir Imam put on a pretty great fight on that undercard. He's one of my most hyped prospects.

Fuck, stubhub was throwing beer cans, bags of food, whatever they could find at the ring after that fight. It was a fucking joke. Fonfara put on a good show at least, but good lord it was a bad look for Chavez. Dude needed to hit the punching bag a few times more instead of hitting the beer cans.

IrishNinja

This is one of those fights where I'm cool with whoever wins - Cotto on the way out, or Canelo on his way up, just want a good fight. Hyped.

Ash_69

Canelo's brutal punching power and combinations will overwhelm cotto. I already feel sorry for his face. I think it'll get stopped late in what will be a great fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom