• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Moment You Realized You Were Playing One of the Best Games Ever

God Hand - When you wrestle with a gorilla.

Zelda: Twilight Princess - When you snowboard into one of the best dungeons ever made.

Snowpeak Ruins was a pretty awesome dungeon. The music was great, I loved how inter connected the place was. I even loved the side quest where we made Pumpkin Stew!

Also throwing around a Ball n Chain was great!!!

i felt that way when playing MGS4.

yes, i know how some of you feel about it. Doesn't change how I felt about it during the time I played it. What a ride it was.

The colour puzzle in the elevator in The Witness is when I figured out I was playing the GOAT puzzle game

Later, the moments where I figured out how the shape puzzles and
negator
symbol worked, confirmed it.

Sotc on the fifth colossi, dark souls 1 boss fight against o&s and ff6 from the opening credits with the snow. Other games like mgs were great but wasn't a moment specifically where I accepted it as a classic.

DirtyLarry

Literally the first minute of controlling Mario in Mario 64 tops my list.

Then I would have to say "the scene" in The Last of Us. No game ever hit me that hard emotionally and I am hard pressed to this day to even think of a game to even attempt a moment like that one.

Omnicent

Taking a look around in the isolated starting area, looking up at the raining sky and seeing the rain drip off the visor.
Suddenly lightning flashes and you see the faint reflection of Samus's face on the visor.

Just from the mood/setting I knew I was playing one of the best games made.
Oh, and this game is Metroid Prime.

Wish metroid wasn't dead.

Undertale - The scene after
you confront Toriel.

Shovel Knight - Plains of Passage designed as a tutorial, teaching each mechanic.

flyover

When I left Midgar and hit the overworld map for the first time in FFVII. I almost feel silly to think how blown away I was, but I was. Pretty much a "My God, it's full of stars!" moment for me.

Valley of defilement

I'll copy in what I said in another thread:

The greatness of the 5-2 swamp is how, similar to 3-1 but I would argue even more successfully, it makes you feel the same as your avatar would going through the area. It is hopeless, gruelling and absolutely soul crushing. The hopelessness of yourself and your avatar makes you sympathize with the hopelessness of the creatures that lived there, which masterfully ties in with the narrative of the game, as it makes you understand what Astraea must have felt going through here, helping you understand and even sympathize with why she committed her great sin. Is a world which allows such misery to continue even worth preserving? How could a god and powerful god ever tolerate such suffering?

A lot has been said about the poison swamp, but I really want to discuss the second half of the level: the shanty town. And it is great precisely because of the swamp that came before it. You really don't want to repeat the swamp, which makes you into a nervous wreck going through the shanty town. You know that there is a shortcut and that it is within reach, and that if you manage to reach it you will never have to go through the swamp again. But you know that if you die, so close to your goal, going through the swamp is going to hurt so much more, seeing how you almost managed to escape it for good. The game knows that you will feel this way, and uses this knowledge to mess with you. Being so close to the goal may tempt you to rush, but this is the worst thing you can do; the town is full of blind corners where enemies hide. Rush and you will be surrounded in no time. On their own, the enemies are weak, but if they surround you, you can be in a lot of trouble. And the game has another devious trick to make you rush. In its most effective use ever in the series, the poison cloud spell wielded by the shamans keeps you moving, as staying put will get you poisoned. The shamans themselves are always quite a bit ahead of you tempting you to rush them, which would lead you into ambushes.

The relief you feel when you get through the level and unlock the shortcut is immense. For me, it is the platonic ideal of the "I did it" Souls moment. It is probably my most hated level ever, which is what makes it great. The confidence and determination in carrying through their idea for the level to the fullest extent is in my opinion the crowning achievement of the Souls games and what ultimately cements Demon's Souls as the great game of all time

Tower of Latria

That was after almost rage-quitting Demon's Souls some weeks earlier and getting back into it. So glad I gave it another chance.

More recently, the Chester boss fight in Ys: Oath in Felghana.

And entering Nightmare Frontier in Bloodborne, after thinking it was mostly Victorian gothic horror, and seeing only hints of Lovecraftian nightmares... and then seeing this alien dream-like landscape full of impossible geometries and cosmic horrors. My mind was blown.

The moment Persona 4 ended and I realized that I actually felt like I missed my friends.

These ones 👌👌👌

Also

Hearing Ni no Kunis Overworld theme for the first time
https://youtu.be/ISbVq8Z9dQM

I used to fire up the game just to walk around the overworld and listen to this. Truly the best overworld theme.

@35seconds
https://youtu.be/ydcRR1S7uBk
This is what travelling ni no kuns overworld is like.

In Undertale, when the song "Undertale" plays (this happens pretty late in the game). I already knew that I loved the game, but that scene really solidified just how much I loved it.

smisk

Taking a look around in the isolated starting area, looking up at the raining sky and seeing the rain drip off the visor.
Suddenly lightning flashes and you see the faint reflection of Samus's face on the visor.

Just from the mood/setting I knew I was playing one of the best games made.

Wish metroid wasn't dead

That was great, but I think entering Phenandra Drifts was when it really hit me how good thi game is.

Gorillaz

Leaving Los Santos was surreal back then. Like yea the seeing it on map is one thing but actually realizing you could go all over the state after you get shipped to that backwater shithole was something else

Dark Souls hitting Anor Londo

Pokémon gold reaching Kanto after ssAnne trip

TLOU when you got to winter

Auctopus

The Witcher 3: Arriving on the shores of Skellige after finishing the main story through Velen & Novigrad. I just went "Fuck me..."

Dark Souls: Very small moment. I had become comfortable in the world and was Sunlight Broing the Izalith Demon for a random and just realised how beautifully replayable the game was.

Memento

The Last of Us

The ranch scene and then the whole University segment. By that point, I was completely absorbed in those characters and world.

Sums up the hilarity of Tokyo Mirage Sessions for me.

lyIYah7.jpg

Finding the entrance to the castle in the intro of Link to the Past. The subtle environmental hints, the atmosphere, intense music, the contrast between the heavily fortified castle vs the modest entrance, the "you solved the puzzle" jingle, and finally the dilemma of "should I go in there?" running contrary to everything we learned about falling in pits in the 8 bit era.

That's when I knew I was in for a ride.

Tower of Latria

That was after almost rage-quitting Demon's Souls some weeks earlier and getting back into it. So glad I gave it another chance.

Similar experience here, although it was actually a number of years since I played through it partway soon after it came out then didn't return until after I'd already beaten Dark Souls PtD.

The moment I saw
the massive messiah like statue at the end of the walkway open up, and all the corpses on the path
, my mouth was agape. I was stunned. That and area 3-2 were probably more effective at creating a bleak, hopeless, atmosphere of dread than any other game I've ever played.

dLMN8R

Inside

(mid-game spoilers, shockwave thing)

You're slowly working your way through the inner factory. You hear a distant thumping. With every thump, a little dust is kicked up. You're stacking clone bodies on a platform in order to get a door to open up.

The closer you get to the door, the louder the thumping gets. It's some pulsing energy. Ominous as hell, you're just begging to see what's on the other side of that door. What could be causing these pulses of energy? What the hell is going on here?

You lean your character up against the door, just to see if you can get closer or hear the thumping louder. BAM - you see an amazing one-off incidental animation as your character is thrown from the door across the floor.

You finally open the door.

Once on the other side of the door, you see an unbelievable machine generating these pulses. Incredible amounts of energy which can vaporize almost everything, and blow around anything that's not sturdily tied down.

Oops, you walked unprotected and it vaporizes you.

Eventually, as you solve one of the more difficult timing puzzles in this section, the thumping fades away. The music swells, and you move on.

Seriously one of the most masterfully crafted sequences I've ever played in any game.

That moment came when Taurs the Scholar, an randomly generated orc in Shadow of Mordor popped up during the finale of the game an I was all saying "Hello old friend" out loud without thinking of it.

I had fought and killed hime, but he kept surviving.

I go to get him back one last time. Goodbye old friend.

datsunzep

Realizing that the best level in Rez, had to be unlocked, and hearing fear is the mind killer start playing while it throws more targets at you than any other area.

When Vyse is stranded alone on an island in Skies of Arcadia. Really changed my perception of the game.

My man. Great moment in an awesome game.

I'm going with Skies as well, but my moment was the first time you engage in a ship battle. The way the battle system is subtly different in ship battles but still oh so amazing just nailed it for me. Still my favorite RPG of them all.

When I entered the closet in Silent hill 2.

SilentHill064.jpg

My moment where silent hill 2 went from a pretty solid successor to the first game to one of the best games ever was going from the historical society to the prison. Going down all those holes. It was creepy at various points, but that was where it REALLY started fucking with me.

orochi91

That moment in Okami when I achieve my first constellation.

It was amazing and a good hint at what's to come throughout the game.

Oh, and the OST was fantastic to boot, right from the get-go.

Grandia -
When Justin is ready to leave Parm and he reads the letter from his mother to the head of the adventurer's society before he gets on the ship. Up until now everything had just been kids stuff, but now he's ready to head into the world and make his transition from a naïve kid into a man ready to make his mark.

That and the haunted pirate ship which follows are amazing and that was when I knew this game was something very special.

Muffdraul

MGS, the cut scene after the gun fight with Ocelot, when the Cyborg Ninja first appeares and cuts off Ocelot'shand. I was already super impressed, but that was when I went "Oh shit... this is going to be one hell of a ride."

The Clash of the Gardens segment in Final Fantasy 8.

final-fantasy-8-galbadia1.jpg

The direction of these scenes at the time was absolutely mind blowing for me. The gameplay intercut and overlapping with FMV sequences in real time was AMAZING. It was so completely immersive and thrilling back in 1999.

Se_7_eN

My moment where silent hill 2 went from a pretty solid successor to the first game to one of the best games ever was going from the historical society to the prison. Going down all those holes. It was creepy at various points, but that was where it REALLY started fucking with me.

Historical Society onward was insane... It makes me really sad knowing that we won't get anything like that again.

RBIYF

Neo Member
Metroid Prime - Literally the opening space station...when I was in the depressurized tunnel leading into the main station and shot one of the bugs and it splattered on my visor. In addition to the space station serving as a great great tutorial, it's also one of the best opening levels to a game, showcasing the great graphics and visuals, all the great touches that Retro poured into the game, as well as the scan function.

Half-Life - "Don't shoot, I'm with the science team!". With these words, Half-Life solidified it's place into classic territory when I had my first encounter with the marines.

Resident Evil 4 - First encounter with Chainsaw guy. The first encounter in the town where the villagers turn on you, as soon as I heard the revving of the chainsaw I knew it was about to get intense, add in the surprise of my first death screen when he first managed to catch me and decapitate my head off. I knew at that point that Resident Evil 4 had raised the bar for action games.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Stepping out into Hyrule field for the first time.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Awakening Hyrule. This is the moment that sent shivers down my spine and solidified Wind Waker as quite possibly my favorite Zelda game. Even prior to that point, I had loved Wind Waker....but the part where you go down to Hyrule and awaken it and see it's connection to Ocarina of Time...that connection just enhanced everything and made it all the more memorable.

The Last of Us - "Fall"....specifically the intense scene right before this word appears onscreen.

System Shock 2 - The revelation on Deck 4 - Operations. A twist so good, it was essentially copied again eight years later for BioShock.

Silent Hill 2 - The descent into Toluca Prison.

Grim Fandango - The "One Year Later" transition into Rubacava.

Doom (1993) - So many I can't even pin it down. I mean literally when I started the game I knew it was on a whole new level, but it was probably the first time I unexpectedly saw the enemy AI actually fight each other.

Shadow of the Colossus - The 13th Colossus...I was already loving this game beforehand, by it was the 13th Colossus that completely sold me on this game as a classic.

Ico - The Windmill. This is what ushered in the 6th console generation for me.

Neff

A lot of my favourites cemented their position in my estimation slowly, even via repeat plays, so it's hard to pick out 'that moment' for them, but there are some clear standouts:

Space Harrier (arcade) - Just fucking seeing it

Street Fighter II - First Hadoken

Link's Awakening - Basically being A Link to the Past 2 on a Game Boy

Snatcher - That intro and the tour of Junker Headquarters

Super Mario 64 - Predetermined, before I'd even unboxed the console or the game

Resident Evil 4 - That first village siege, obviously

The Wonderful 101 - After beating Deikuu Ohrowchee (first boss). Honestly wondered how the game could possibly get better.
And it did.

Playing through Super Mario Galaxy again with my 5 year old son. I still can't believe how good that game is. Sure, running around that first sphere of a planet was a revelation, but a lesser game would have just stopped there. I can not think of a game with add many ideas as that one. New mechanics are continually introduced, adapted, and combined throughout. Putting a fresh spin on a mechanic that you mastered earlier, so the game is simultaneously surprising and familiar, allowing you to tackle new situations like you are a pro. I have never felt as awesome playing a game as I have playing as a fat plumber in space.

SCB3

Bioshock

Spoilers because the Collection came out this week

the 'Would You Kindly?' twist and the reemergence of Fontaine

That's when I knew this game really was something special

Last of Us: Final cutscene in Fall

Bioshock: descending to Rapture and the whale goes by.

Witcher 3: Getting to Skellige. I went on a hill and just looked around the environment. The music was perfect I stood there for over 10 minutes.

Uncharted 4: It started to hit me when you found the lost city and started to string together the story. The part in the town treasury was the start.

Bloodborne: I honestly knew as soon as the music for the Cleric Beast fight started, but a better example is Vicar Amelia.

Top Bottom