• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Morality of the Last of Us [Major Spoilers]

Am I the only one who didn't kill all the doctors? It was my last ounce of humanity, and control, as the player, selfishly thinking that I could control Joel. Sadly, as the next scene showed, I could not, and I had lost all agency control as a player. Fucking. Brilliant.

Am I the only one who didn't kill all the doctors? It was my last ounce of humanity, and control, as the player, selfishly thinking that I could control Joel. Sadly, as the next scene showed, I could not, and I had lost all agency control as a player. Fucking. Brilliant.

I stood there and tried to get Ellie without killing them.
Wasn't to happy that I had to kill one of them. I didn't kill the other two, though.

darkwing

humanity didn't deserve to live if they had to kill an innocent girl to survive

besides we already seen examples in the game where groups were thriving

emag

In the real world, humanity kills plenty of innocent, unwilling people every day for much worse reasons.

Kinyou

I remember how I was more shocked about Joel lying to Ellie than him murdering the soldiers and doctor. I guess that says something about how much I was connected to the characters.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I killed only one doctor. But I did it.

Just like
when I saved Elika
in Prince of Persia (2008).

Ricky_R

I think that saving humanity at the cost an innocent girl was justifiable and understandable, but I would never blame Joel for thinking otherwise. Both ways are/would've been fair in my mind.

I only killed the doctor with the scalpel. I also only shot his leg (fairly certain it still kills him though). That said, I didn't hesitate to pull my gun when he raised the scalpel to me. I shot, grabbed Ellie and ran.

Equus Bellator Apex

The Fireflies set themselves up for failure. They started the surgery immediately without waiting for consent from Ellie. Which implies that they didn't respect her agency. If they had just waited for her to wake up she would have said yes. I don't see how Joel would be able to go against her wishes.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
To be honest throughout the world of The Last of Us I found myself constantly wondering if these people are even worth saving? Humanity is so broken that the only "good" of it you see is either from people that die, or from Joel's brothers little commune, or finally from Ellie.

I think that the ending can be interpreted as Joel choosing to save one of the few people that has done right by him instead of saving everyone who has essentially done nothing but make his life a living hell.

Hell there is no guarantee that the cure would work, and if it does there is even less of a guarantee that it won't just be used by the firefly's to take over. They're definitely people I don't want in charge.

So really if you ask me, by saving Ellie and going to the town with Joel's brother, they're saving humanity, by living like civilized people.

I slaughtered all the doctors, it was a twitch reflex from that previous fire fight

Aurongel

The Fireflies set themselves up for failure. They started the surgery immediately without waiting for consent from Ellie. Which implies that they didn't respect her agency. If they had just waited for her to wake up she would have said yes. I don't see how Joel would be able to go against her wishes.

Joel was already going against her wishes, Marlene even points out that a meaningful death is what Ellie would have wanted when she confronts Joel in the parking garage.

I shot the first one. He had a scalpel in his hand. I don't even remember if he had time to speak, he quickly got a bullet in his face. The others were cowering in the corner so I didn't shoot them. They didn't matter.

darkwing

true, they never asked her, all they wanted was the cure no matter what

Bandit1

I feel like the moral dilemma would have been even more profound if we didn't have to contend with the infected. Others have said that even if the doctors did create a vaccine the world would still have to deal with hundreds of thousands of infected running around, which could be a mark in favor of Joel's decision.
But hypothetically, if the virus was simply a pandemic that was killing off the population instead of turning them into "zombies" for lack of a better term, then really the only problem with distributing the vaccine would be the power struggle between the government and the Fireflies. Therefore Joel squandering the chance for a possible cure would have been that much more devastating to humanity's survival.

Nevertheless, we must put ourselves in Joel's position. If you think about it, there's only two people left in the world that Joel cares about: his brother and Ellie. And clearly, his relationship with his brother is strained. In Ellie, Joel has found something to live for, a happiness and contentment that fills the void that losing his daughter created. A void that neither Tommy nor Tess could fill. Only Ellie could. So in the end, when he realizes he could lose Ellie, he is afraid. Afraid of losing a another daughter and being alone. He doesn't care about anything else, any repercussions of his actions, and in that moment given Joel's past, and his relationship with Ellie, there is no other option.

I shot the first doctor just in the leg but he still died ... at that point it was a hard choice, to kill someone trying to save the humanity or to save the life of the only person left to make you feel like a human again in that brutal world. It really made you think what would you have done in that situation if that was real. I don't want to even imagine that if it was my daughter lying on that table.

But yes this game....wow...i feel sad it ended and miss the characters (never ever I had this feeling playing a video game). I don't think it even deserves a sequel. That ending was just perfect.

By the way I watched The Road movie again, and I mean it felt like I was in TLOU world with Joel but Ellie replaced by the boy. I liked it even more this time.

Top Bottom