• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The more newerer PSP thread of excellent games (PSP slim introductory edition)!

Andy787

Banned
Vennt said:
Andy787 isn't a junior member, he was given the tag, an old punishment once dealt to posters who tried to spam their way out of having Junior Member status before we added the "true" perma-junior nuclear option. Its a badge he'll have to wear forever.. (Or until he gets tagged again :p)
Actually, I was given the tag for telling a Junior to shut up. :p

Ecchi-Time7 said:
Hot Shot Golf PSP is the only PSP game that I've enjoyed for more than an hour and have kept instead of trading in for DS games.
Shut up, Junior.

traveler

Not Wario
Got a friend offering me his PSP for $75. Should I take up him on the offer or go all the way and buy a new PSP Slim? I've finally decided I need one thanks to Castlevania, FF Tactics, and Jeanne D'Arc.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
traveler said:
Got a friend offering me his PSP for $75. Should I take up him on the offer or go all the way and buy a new PSP Slim? I've finally decided I need one thanks to Castlevania, FF Tactics, and Jeanne D'Arc.

Go ahead, deals like that are hard to pass up.

Hcoregamer00

Ecchi-Time7 said:
I heard they were canceled.

Rawr!!!!

t-tiger-growl.jpg

Stop posting.

Andy787

Banned
Mistouze said:
Nice thread! By the way Dead Head Fred is cool, cool is Dead Head Fred.
Yeah, I've been hoping to hear more opinions on this. I dig the crazy noire-spoof theme, and for what it's worth, IGN gave it an 8.3. Has anyone else picked it up?
Hcoregamer00 said:
Do we even have a potential date for the Star Ocean 1 & 2 remake?
No, unfortunately, but it is Square-Enix, so I think it's more a matter of when than if. Hopefully early next year.
traveler said:
Well, it depends on your budget, of course, but I will say that the slim actually does make the entire experience of playing games on the PSP more enjoyable to me, even after only a day of using it. I would go with the slim if you can afford it. The PSP is also a system I really wouldn't want to get second hand, unless you know it has been well taken care of.

M3wThr33

Banned
I'd PERSONALLY remove Gunpey from that list. Seriously. It's probably the worst of everything up there. Also, Dead Head Fred hasn't been glowing reviews.

But I own pretty much everything else on that list, except RPGs.

Hcoregamer00

Ecchi-Time7 said:
Blame the people who pirate the PSP games instead of buying them.

I blame the people who pirate the PSP, just look at my posts.

On Star Ocean 1 & 2 remakes, I know they are coming, I just want the damn game to be released already.

Izzy

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Do we even have a potential date for the Star Ocean 1 & 2 remake?

No, not yet. But SO1 (playable) will have its own booth at the TGS, and Dengeki Playstation will have a lot of new info on both SO1 and SO2 in the next issue (9/14).

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Andy787 said:
Yeah, I've been hoping to hear more opinions on this. I dig the crazy noire-spoof theme, and for what it's worth, IGN gave it an 8.3. Has anyone else picked it up?

Well I'm not too far into it but here are my impressions :

The style actually rocks, I mean you can't really go wrong with a hero who has a brain and pair of eyes in a jar full of green liquid for a head. Top on a that zombies, head removing finishing moves, excellent humor (I laughed out loud when the hero told me "Thank you for sucking at the game!" after a few death) and noir detective story genre.

Gameplay is nice and varied, you got some platforming, lots of fighting wich not too complex while being good (once you get the visual cue for when you can actually finish the ennemies), exploration. There's some backtracking but it's not tiresome thanks to teleport points and a map for it giving you the main location near each available destination.

The head mechanic is great so far (only got 5 heads out of 8), each one actually has a purpose and you have to use each one for given situations and ennemies.

My only gripe : the beginning of the game, once you get into the city and understand how the fighting works it's all good!

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
traveler said:
if those are the games that really interest you I would go for the new slim. The additions are just so much better and it looks like Homebrew is coming to boot.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
aznpxdd said:
Damn, PSP's fall line up is looking good. Can't wait to kick some ass online with Pulse.

Same here. I think I'll import the new japanese slim colors on the 20th.

Andy787

Banned
Mistouze said:
Well I'm not too far into it but here are my impressions :

The style actually rocks, I mean you can't really go wrong with a hero who has a brain and pair of eyes in a jar full of green liquid for a head. Top on a that zombies, head removing finishing moves, excellent humor (I laughed out loud when the hero told me "Thank you for sucking at the game!" after a few death) and noir detective story genre.

Gameplay is nice and varied, you got some platforming, lots of fighting wich not too complex while being good (once you get the visual cue for when you can actually finish the ennemies), exploration. There's some backtracking but it's not tiresome thanks to teleport points and a map for it giving you the main location near each available destination.

The head mechanic is great so far (only got 5 heads out of 8), each one actually has a purpose and you have to use each one for given situations and ennemies.

My only gripe : the beginning of the game, once you get into the city and understand how the fighting works it's all good!
I like the sound of that. I thought it would be a really straight-forward action game. There's platforming and exploration? The humor and story are good? Hmm, it's $30 retail, too. I think I'll probably pick that up pretty soon. :)

Good thread, it's missing Lemmings though. :] At one point I was going to buy a PSP just for that, but then Sony announced a PS2 port and well. Bloody fantastic game, though. So what's Gripshift like guys? San Francisco Rush-ish? Please say yes. I plan on picking up a Slim when it launches here in Knifey-spoony land next week. Looking to try and track down a copy of Tales of Eternia, Gurumin, that Namco Museum thingy and uuuhh (that's the best game of all). Probably that Guilty Gear side scrolling beat 'em up too. Already have Exit 1 and 2, as well as a bunch of other Taito PSP games, just waiting around to be played. I like Taito, you see. Just wish the Earthworm Jim remake hadn't vanished into thin air. :(

PSP's fall lineup was bordering on amazing until GoW:CoO got delayed. Still gonna be an awesome lineup, but God Of War:CoO would have been icing on the cake.

thanks for the great list! i'm selling my old PSP phat to a friend, who is new to PSP. Actually I have quite a lot of friends who are new to PSP, and this list willl be a great resource to introduce games to them! But maybe we should have one official one, or one mega one that gets updated as new games come along? And one with small descriptions too.

Phthisis

Oooh, nice list. I forgot about a couple of those titles. How is Gurumin, by the way, and what kind of game is it?

ethelred

Ecchi-Time7 said:
Hot Shot Golf PSP is the only PSP game that I've enjoyed for more than an hour and have kept instead of trading in for DS games.
Ecchi-Time7 said:
I could kill the vibes more by stating that most of the games listed are terrible but I don't force my opinion as fact : )
Ecchi-Time7 said:
I heard they were canceled.
Ecchi-Time7 said:
Blame the people who pirate the PSP games instead of buying them.

Someone needs to hurry up and get banned.

Phthisis said:
Oooh, nice list. I forgot about a couple of those titles. How is Gurumin, by the way, and what kind of game is it?

Gurumin is very enjoyable and charming. Great Falcom title.

Andy787 said:
SWAT: Target Liberty
Action-Strategy / Sierra Entertainment / 3G Studios
939011_20070419_screen006.jpg

Glancing over this, I misread the name as "SWAT: Target Library."

I looked at the screenshot and had to do a double-take. :/

ram

Stumpokapow said:
Every single major video game media outlet that reviewed Puzzle Quest gave it 80+. It's fine for you think it's broken, but you're pretty much outside the norm here.

maybe because they are a bunch of morons? the complete puzzle gameplay is totally broken - win / lose - its all about luck. not spells, not level ups, not tactics...just luck. you can lose or win amatch without any skill! thats why the game doesnt deserve high ratings. the idea behind this good btw. but the execution is just plain bad...

Gossack

I have FF1-7 on the PlayStation. Should I get a PSP to play Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII or a DS to play Final Fantasy III?

jiggle

Tael said:
I have FF1-7 on the PlayStation. Should I get a PSP to play Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII or a DS to play Final Fantasy III?

If your're a FF fan, is there really any other choice besides getting both? FF1 (PSP), FF2 (PSP), FF3 (DS), FF4 (DS), FF7:CC (PSP), FF12:RW (DS), and Dissidia (PSP).

ram said:
gunpey, every extend extra and puzzle quest dont deserve the tag "excellent psp game" - they are all mediocre and have broken gameplay.
What do you see as "broken" about EEE? Great game.

Gossack

jiggle said:
If your're a FF fan, is there really any other choice besides getting both? FF1 (PSP), FF2 (PSP), FF3 (DS), FF4 (DS), FF7:CC (PSP), FF12:RW (DS), and Dissidia (PSP).

Touche, I'll get both sometime then. Thanks. :)

The library for the PSP has sure subtly shaped up well. It's almost enough to catch you off guard if you haven't bought one yet (as I haven't yet).

Why is DJ Max Portable (1 and 2) on the coming soon list? The Korean versions are easily available on ebay and there are no language issues. There's no excuse for not buying it already.

Oh, and no Mercury love?

Flo

M3wThr33 said:
I'd PERSONALLY remove Gunpey from that list. Seriously. It's probably the worst of everything up there. Also, Dead Head Fred hasn't been glowing reviews.

But I own pretty much everything else on that list, except RPGs.

What don't you like about it? I was considering picking it up... I really like its style..

Angelo

Add this game to the list please, even though its fate coming to the US is still a bit shaky. I'm getting my PSP hopefully by next month or in worst case scenario by the end of the year.

Choose any of these two screenshots:

-----------------------------
Tales of Rebirth
-----------------------------

torpsp4.jpg

torpsp11.jpg

Flakster99

I will not be purchasing a PSP slim, though God of War: Chains of Olympus, Wipeout Pulse and Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles cannot come out soon enough. :D

Coen

I'm amazed at the amount of solid 3rd party effort PSP's getting, since none of it has actually been selling. Not complaining though, I love my PSP. Stuff like Ridge Racer and WipeOut are amazing on the go.

Top Bottom