• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most Common Wii controller misconception

nightez

Banned
Its funny that most people seem to think that the Wii controller works like a light gun. In that you point directly at the point you want, on the television screen. When in fact with the Wii you actually point to a relative point in space.

It works more like a mouse and less like a light gun - the sensor bar detects your movements and translates them into scaled-up movements on screen. And also like a mouse, there will be a sensitivity option that'll allow you to set how fast the on-screen cursor moves relative to your hand movements. So think of the sensor bar more as a mouse mat.

I think the most common misconception is that you have to "waggle" the Wiimote around and make broad motions in order for them to translate on screen. In reality, most Wii games are only going to need small motions of the wrist in order to control well, and many gamers already make these kind of motions anyway on standard controllers, whether they realize it or not.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
We're gamers, not soccer moms who don't know why their son wants this shooting toy for christmas.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i think the most common misconception is that it's an achieved innovation with real gaming applications and not a cheap carny trick

Thomper

McBacon said:
We're gamers, not soccer moms who don't know why their son wants this shooting toy for christmas.
Did you know that Nintendo named their console after We, and not after a yellow liquid? Srsly.

Liquid

Banned
drohne said:
i think the most common misconception is that it's an achieved innovation with real gaming applications and not a cheap carny trick

qft. i look at both the wii and sixaxis vids sometimes and although a percentage of my thoughts in some of the games, others are just like "why"? like tony hawk for example for both systems. reminds me of those bmx arcade games where there are no pedals but only handlebars that you turn.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It would also seem that a lot of folks believe that the controller is more capable than it really is...

The people demanding one-to-one aiming and motion translation clearly have no idea how the device actually functions or what the machine it interfaces with can actually handle. Dynamic animations, physics, and interactions with a virtual sword is not possible, for example. The whole thing is a lot more simplistic than Nintendo initially seemed to suggest.

As it stands, the Wii input system seems like an alternative to pressing a button rather than actually bringing your movements into a game world. It LOOKS innovative and fresh, but the reality seems rather different.

The DS stylus certainly offers a lot more in comparison.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
awesome thread

drohne said:

love your constant trolling

jgkspsx

nightez said:
It works more like a mouse and less like a light gun - the sensor bar detects your movements and translates them into scaled-up movements on screen. And also like a mouse, there will be a sensitivity option that'll allow you to set how fast the on-screen cursor moves relative to your hand movements. So think of the sensor bar more as a mouse mat.
I'm not sure you understand how the wiimote works :)

The sensor bar *is* just like a mouse mat -- it don't detect (or "sense") nothing, it's just a set of infrared beacons for the wiimote's camera to sense. This is apparently used in conjunction with timing of the wireless connection to detect position in 3D space. This kind of detection is fairly fragile, though, so don't expect too much of it.

The motion detectors are altogether another matter, and do work very much like a mouse. I think the wiimote is three-axis and the nunchuck is one or two.

Depending on the API, combining these could make for some pretty decent motion detection in ideal conditions. You'd have to be an idiot to TRY to program for 1:1 motion capture, though, IMO.

I remember when we were trying to figure out how the wiimote worked way back at the announcement. This combination of technologies was dismissed because it didn't seem like it would work very well. We'll have to see how well Nintendo implemented this shoestring-budget motion detection. Better than Xavix? Who knows. I look forward to trying it, but I'm not buying at launch.

aparisi2274

thanks for that..

wizard.gif

Gattsu25

Banned
The most common misconception is that the Wii can do 1:1 motion detection

The Red Steel thread should be proof enough

Sonki.

Banned
Liquid said:
qft. i look at both the wii and sixaxis vids sometimes and although a percentage of my thoughts in some of the games, others are just like "why"? like tony hawk for example for both systems. reminds me of those bmx arcade games where there are no pedals but only handlebars that you turn.

Quoting you for truth.

But really.. We are just going to have to wait and see.

quadriplegicjon said:
thats not a misconception. you lose!

Sorry my insider friend told me that was only the E3 wii.

However it is true that the dual shock 3 six axis powerhouse controller is powered by ape escape apes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sonki. said:
Quoting you for truth.

But really.. We are just going to have to wait and see.

For a long time. I don't think we'll be able to see the gimmick-or-innovation results for at least a year - because Nintendo will come out with lots of good "gimmicks" at first.

I think a year down the line, the "Wii version" effect will be in full swing - where a kid has to ask himself - "do I want the Wii version of XXXXXX or the 360/PS3 version?"

It may be that the Wii version is awesome.

The moms and grandads Nintendo is hoping for will buy one game. If they reach their target of non gamers, they may also reach the lowest ever attach rate.

Just an opinion.

Come November 19, I think the most common Wii misconception will be, "Are there batteries in this thing? I've been trying to change the channel for 5 minutes already."

jgkspsx

Actually, an interesting question is: are the sixaxis and wiimote six axis in hardware or do they have to generate data for the other three axes in software? I'm guessing the latter is true for both.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Also is it true that if you point away from the sensor bar it doesn't actually know where you are pointing?

i was listening to a recent Gamespot netcast, and they were talking about Tony Hawk on the Wii.

It got me thinking: Wii games in the 3rd person are going to be really awkward.

FPS sort of works because the wiimote tracking is similar to moving a gun around. But 3rd person view doesn't work like that. There's no metaphor for dragging a camera around in 3d space.

I guess Zelda is a 3rd person game. Can anyone weigh in on how mundane stuff like camera controls work in that. I've seen all the goofy Bow&Arrow demos, but not regular gameplay.

Rlan

I'd say the idea of the Classic Controller not being usable to play Gamecube games is ludicrous. Why the hell would they include every button on the Gamecube and then not use it?

From previous reports, the L and R buttons did have some give, but were never used in a non-clicking way [Only SNES / N64 games on hand].

Mr Mike said:
Also is it true that if you point away from the sensor bar it doesn't actually know where you are pointing?
Like jgkspsx said, the "sensor bar" doesn't "sense" anything:
jgkspsx said:
it's just a set of infrared beacons for the wiimote's camera to sense.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
drohne said:

So constructive. Thanks!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
drohne said:

Stinkles said:
The moms and grandads Nintendo is hoping for will buy one game. If they reach their target of non gamers, they may also reach the lowest ever attach rate.

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
Games are all about input from the player and output from the game. Obviously, increasing the number of inputs increases the number of possibilities. What makes videogames fun is that the output the game gives you is many more times more impressive than the input -- you push one button, and your character does amazing things. That forumula starts to break down as the inputs get greater. If you have to shake the controller madly, you're upping the input for the same output. When you get to a point where the balance favors the input, and the output remains the same, "well, if I have to do all this jumping around, then I might as well ride a real Jet Ski."

Yes, yes, and yes.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This thread is inducing pre-"Third-Pillar" launch nay-saying flashbacks. Maybe some people are sore (oddly) over a "gimmick" being so successful.

Dahbomb

140.85 said:
This thread is inducing pre-"Third-Pillar" launch nay-saying flashbacks. Maybe some people are sore (oddly) over a "gimmick" being so successful.
I didn't realize it was Parallel Universe AD 2008 where Wii had already won next-gen.

XSamu

Banned
I was planning to buy a Wii at launch, but like all systems, the launch line-up sucks. I've never really played a 3D Zelda so when I played the Twilight Princes (Cube version) I wasn't really that amazed... So that's no system seller for me.
Red Steel, well it sounds cool and all, but it's just a showcase game... it won't be that great.

Dahbomb said:
I didn't realize it was Parallel Universe AD 2008 where Wii had already won next-gen.
The DS is probably being referred to in this instance. Remember, it was the gimmick system that was going to be steamrolled by the competition.

Edit: Meh. Beaten.

KINGMOKU

drohne said:
You should be shot out of a ban cannon.

Brought nothing to the conversation, at all.

Sonki.

Banned
I really do not like all this "successful" talk..

Just what makes a game/console successful? The amount of sales? or the completion of a great game?

Why should I give a damn about how well Nintendo does. For me.. the DS is a disappointment... The system's graphics are not good. The touchscreen is a neat idea that fell through in completion.

But the DS was successful because of sales. But I could care less. I just want damn good games.

I can only assume that the wii will not be up to my standards. And with WORSE than last gen graphics, It makes it hard to JUSTIFY a purchase.. Mostly at the price.

What I'm getting at is that.. Who flipping cares about sales and such.. I just want to have fun.

LakeEarth

Against most of my friends, the most common Wii controller misconception is that it looks kinda gay. It will fix once the machine is out, but that's how it is right now.

KINGMOKU

LakeEarth said:
Against most of my friends, the most common Wii controller misconception is that it looks kinda gay. It will fix once the machine is out, but that's how it is right now.
They must feel real awkward when watching television then, huh?

PkunkFury

This thread is brimming with misconceptions about the wii controller

but the worst is here:

dark10x said:

I mean seriously WTF?

dark10x said:
It would also seem that a lot of folks believe that the controller is more capable than it really is...

The people demanding one-to-one aiming and motion translation clearly have no idea how the device actually functions or what the machine it interfaces with can actually handle. Dynamic animations, physics, and interactions with a virtual sword is not possible, for example. The whole thing is a lot more simplistic than Nintendo initially seemed to suggest.

As it stands, the Wii input system seems like an alternative to pressing a button rather than actually bringing your movements into a game world. It LOOKS innovative and fresh, but the reality seems rather different.

I don't think this is actually an educated analysis.

With good programming, the Wiimote IS capable of "one-to-one aiming and motion." Hell, it's already capable of one-to-one aiming, but you have to shoot the 4 corners of the screen and whatnot to calibrate it. This has been shown with Duckhunt and other games. I have no idea how you came under the impression that its not possible.

As for one-to-one motion, there's nothing but programming in the way of that. Physically, you should be able to have an image of the Wiimote on the screen that turns and moves exactly like the one in your hand.

Top Bottom