• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most Common Wii controller misconception

yanhero

Even so, if a developer can provide 1:1 movement to a Wii game effectively, it would enhance the game just as much as a steering wheel would enchance a racing game - more precise that an analog stick, and a more realistic feel. Since it is very much possible to create 1:1 movements with the wiimote, I see no reason why the hardware itself deserves to be called a gimmick.

chadums90

drohne said:
a force-feedback steering wheel does far more for a racing game than the waggle wand does for any game in particular. as long as developers use 'gestural' controls instead of 1:1 mapping, the advantage of the waggle wand lies in whatever enjoyment you might find in swinging your arm around.

I don't understand the logic here - on what grounds are you challenging the control mechanism? Is it just a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda deal? As in you think that standard controllers are perfectly acceptable and shouldn't be replaced (possibly ever)?

Also, in your view, why will 1:1 movement be a "true" innovation and why will it be so much better than "gestural" controls?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the hardware is only as good as its best implementation, imo.

i don't see the point of gestural controls -- if you're going to make the player swing his arm around to trigger some canned reaction that could be identically accomplished by a button press, the button press is the more elegant solution by far. 1:1 mapping would at least be something different, though the merit of such a scheme would still come down to the individual implementation.

drohne said:
a force-feedback steering wheel does far more for a racing game than the waggle wand does for any game in particular. as long as developers use 'gestural' controls instead of 1:1 mapping, the advantage of the waggle wand lies in whatever enjoyment you might find in swinging your arm around.
So then, like always, it's up to the developer to deliver a good gaming experience, all the Wii does is bring options to the table.

drohne

you can call the ps3 whatever you like. but i think the benefits of faster processors and more memory are glaringly obvious.

drohne

you won't catch me defending the ps3 controller. at one point i thought i'd prefer the sixaxis to the waggle wand simply because its shape wouldn't permit offensive mimey controls, but then i saw this

3c238a2981.gif

if you ever wonder why i waste so much venom on motion sensing controllers, take a critical look at this gif. this pretendypoo horseshit threatens to ruin videogames for grown people with any personal dignity, and it kills me that some people countenance it out of sheer brand loyalty.

Branduil

drohne said:
you can call the ps3 whatever you like. but i think the benefits of faster processors and more memory are glaringly obvious.

More spark-mapping!

Also, I only play games to feel elegant.

drohne said:
you won't catch me defending the ps3 controller. at one point i thought i'd prefer the sixaxis to the waggle wand simply because its shape wouldn't permit offensive mimey controls, but then i saw this

3c238a2981.gif

if you ever wonder why i waste so much venom on motion sensing controllers, take a critical look at this gif. this pretendypoo horseshit threatens to ruin videogames for grown people with any personal dignity, and it kills me that some people countenance it out of sheer brand loyalty.

LOL! it's the 1st time I see that, is that for real? hahahahaha, as long at they have traditional control options...

drohne said:

3c238a2981.gif

Geez, man, it doesn't look THAT bad. I pity the man who's friends are so willing to abandon him simply because he gestures while having fun. A sad man is drhone, no wonder you have so much venom.

drohne

i don't play videogames when i've got friends over -- i find that they prefer to talk or listen to music. but if i found myself doing that alone, i'd be obligated to abandon me.

waggling is deeply silly, but i shouldn't overemphasize that -- what's probably more serious is the way mimey nonsense would take me out of a game like zelda...or mgs4 now that sony have achieved total creative bankruptcy. :(

yanhero

Lol that gif is pretty horrible I must admit. I too am not convinced that motion sensing would give us a 'deeper' experience, as most of what we have seen can be easily done with an analog stick, but it certainly can deliver a more intuitive method of control for the times when you play with a group of (nub) friends. And if 1:1 movement is implemented well, I believe it could give a deeper experience, especially in the Wii's case where one can move their arms seperately (- by providing more accuracy/precision than an analogue stick, and a better sense of realism).

Branduil

I picture drohne as this guy who games in this dark, elegant lounge, seated in an expensive leather chair while drinking cheap imported wine(the man just bought a PS3, feel for him people!), sniffing his nose at the poor, ignorant muggles who enjoy waving their arms when they could enjoy elegant button-pressing like him.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Branduil said:
I picture drohne as this guy who games in this dark, elegant lounge, seated in an expensive leather chair while drinking cheap imported wine(the man just bought a PS3, feel for him people!), sniffing his nose at the poor, ignorant muggles who enjoy waving their arms when they could enjoy elegant button-pressing like him.

I think he's drinking good port.

How dare you Nintendo for not getting the technology 100% correct the first time around with that little to no experience you have in regards to it. You can't do anything right! Honestly aside from some other crazy direction, going down the traditional console route would have likely been worthless for Nintendo again.

Wasn't the gaming industry horribly in need of some innovation for the past few years? Well Nintendo is attempting to give it a push. This technology is in the end inevitable, so perhaps it is better sooner than later as traditional controllers have been stagnating in evolution. So this is it, at least try to keep an open mind people. It might look ridiculous right now but with time this could really become something great.

drohne said:
i don't play videogames when i've got friends over -- i find that they prefer to talk or listen to music. but if i found myself doing that alone, i'd be obligated to abandon me.

waggling is deeply silly, but i shouldn't overemphasize that -- what's probably more serious is the way mimey nonsense would take me out of a game like zelda...or mgs4 now that sony have achieved total creative bankruptcy. :(

Oh... Oh... goodness.

You have a deeply troubled soul. Your inner child cries out from its withered and cracked cage of a body.

I'm afraid there's only one form of treatment.
You need a little waggle in your life.

Terrell

The biggest misconception about the controller is that any bellyaching that is done about it will have any sort of impact on the opinion of the casual gamer. How did all that DS slamming work out, after all? Oh yeah, that's right, gimmick or not, people bought it anyways! Heck, even Amir0x owns one. And he claims he will also own a Wii. So yeah, this whole "gimmick" discussion being anywhere near relevant is the big misconception, definitely.

Top Bottom