• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most godawful Star Trek moments (with spoilers and gifs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Terry Farrell was almost as bad at acting as Avery Brooks.
Well, there's only one Patrick Stewart!

Well come on, at the same time, she ditched them in their last season.

And that montage was awful anyways. Great as DS9 was, that last episode was really weak. Had two very different stories concluding together in a very clumsy way (they should have wrapped up the Sisko stuff prior to the last episode),it jsut didn't work.
I know this sounds like I'm apologizing for her, but they did sign all the actors for six seasons so it's not like she broke her contract or whatever. She managed to land a role on a network sitcom with the guy from Cheers... seeing that DS9 was going to end in a year, I don't blame her for taking that offer.

And too be honest, I don't actually remember the montage outside of the fact that she wasn't in it!

She's also a notorious queen bitch too. She left that sitcom with Ted Danson half way in.
She actually got fired from that one, afaik. lol

They even gave Denise Crosby and Colm Meany new scenes in the finale. Poor poor Terry Farrell.
Wait, Denise Crosby?
Ohhh, "All Good Things"... I was wondering how she showed up on DS9.

Cheerilee

Yeah, I don't mind the character, just the fact that they literally made her a Dax replacement.

Of course, this was just producer dickery, because the Jadzia Dax actress asked them not to kill her off so that she could potentially come back later on for guest spots or whatever. Instead, they pissed her off so much that she didn't allow them to use her image for the final montage at the end of the series - which is why she was totally absent when they were going through all the characters in the series.

Her contract didn't allow them to re-use footage of her outside of her contracted employment time. The budget for the last episode wasn't big enough for them to hire her back, and if it was they probably would have just brought her back through time travel or whatever rather than simply putting her face into the clip show.

Although they could've done the George McFly thing and re-used footage of her stunt double. That would have been a real insult to Terry Farrell.

jaxword

LRpkS.jpg

No. That just makes Data look like a pedophile.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Her contract didn't allow them to re-use footage of her outside of her contracted employment time. The budget for the last episode wasn't big enough for them to hire her back, and if it was they probably would have just brought her back through time travel or whatever rather than simply putting her face into the clip show.

Although they could've done the George McFly thing and re-used footage of her stunt double. That would have been a real insult to Terry Farrell.
Just have her flap around or only see shots of her back?
I know she does the whole Trek actor begging convention circuit now, so I guess she's fine with whatever happened back then.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Ohhh yeah. The thing that always confused me about that episode is why didn't the alien undercover just make himself captain? Why settle for First Officer? Seemed a bit of a stupid decision.

I'm guessing it's because it would be too obvious. It's easier to be the power behind the throne.

That episode was bizarre because you would assume that a species capable of disabling a starship like that and fucking around with its computer systems would have no problem in destroying a space station that one photon torpedo could take out.

I'm guessing it's because it would be too obvious. It's easier to be the power behind the throne.

That episode was bizarre because you would assume that a species capable of disabling a starship like that and fucking around with its computer systems would have no problem in destroying a space station that one photon torpedo could take out.

Not necessarily. Just because they're advanced in some ways doesn't mean they're advanced in others.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
All the captains will be on stage. I got excited thinking I could go see them but apparently tickets for that opening talk cost £299, am I reading this right?

http://www.startreklondon.com/ticket-info

Also, lol at the signed autographs actually not being from any of the captains but 'random' guests. What kind of BS is this? Very annoying.

Holy fuck... £600 extra just to get an autograph from each of the captains?
I have a Patrick Stewart one. It was free, though. It's on this photo.
http://www.moviepicturedb.com/picture/254d5312

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Holy fuck... £600 extra just to get an autograph from each of the captains?
I have a Patrick Stewart one. It was free, though. It's this photo, but cropped differently.
http://www.moviepicturedb.com/picture/254d5312

Only captain autograph I ever got was Janeway. have a book with most the DS9 and Voyager cast signatures.

Shatner and Stewart draw people in. Brooks also is a big draw because he does not do many conventions. I'd like to go to a Bakula panel just got Quantum leap questions.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Only captain autograph I ever got was Janeway. have a book with most the DS9 and Voyager cast signatures.

Shatner and Stewart draw people in. Brooks also is a big draw because he does not do many conventions. I'd like to go to a Bakula panel just got Quantum leap questions.

The guy who played Dr. Bashir sat down at the next table while I was eating one day during Comic-Con. ('94, I think?)
I was spending a day at Disney Feature Animation during the production of Hercules and we went to the commissary on the Disney lot across the street for lunch. James Doohan came in while we were eating. He was shooting a cameo on Homeboys in Outer Space that day.
I didn't bother either of them, though.

Walshicus

The guy who played Dr. Bashir sat down at the next table while I was eating one day during Comic-Con. ('94, I think?)

Heh, Siddig el Fadir lives near me in Chichester so we see him around quite a bit. My fiancé is a big DS9 fan and wouldn't shut up all day when he opened the door for her in some furniture shop.

Even more, normal holodeck characters are strictly scripts - they're no different than modern AI scripts for video game characters except far more complex run by literally FTL computers. So they can trick the holodeck user into believing that they actually think, are self aware, and have emotions.

The EMH programs meanwhile, have a much tougher task. They've got to run up against the limits of true AI and self awareness in order to adapt to unexpected situations, and worse, be able to make ethical calls and moral judgement - such as in emergency triage scenarios. They must create original solutions to problems with no upper limit on their range of choices. Unlike a preset holodeck fictional character that acts out a story and merely customizes dialog to the actions of the player.

Data, meanwhile, is an actual piece of hardware that creates consciousness - not a software script running in a standard Starfleet computer system. That's why there was even a debate over whether he is truly self aware... they don't know how his positronic brain works, and don't know how to measure what "consciousness" is in its context.

So, if we presume Data has an actual sense of "I" inside his head, then yeah, the subjective qualia of experiencing emotions is what he wanted. When he pretended to have emotions, he was merely acting like a holodeck character and faking it. But he didn't feel anything inside.

I know this is a week late but I just wanted to touch upon this.

The funny thing about the EMH is that he is still essentially a computer program so he has to use up computer space right? And if he's learning and changing, won't that make him take up more memory on Voyagers comp since I'm guessing when he learns more, his program will write more code into his program.

At least with Data, he's not taking any resources when he learns more. Sure he has his limits but at the very least, he could always upgrade himself. Though it is odd how he rarely does that in the show. He does mention several times that he creates new programs in his memory for new situations but that's more of a software upgrade not a hardware upgrade like I was thinking (the closest he comes is the emotion chip)

antonz

I was spending a day at Disney Feature Animation during the production of Hercules and we went to the commissary on the Disney lot across the street for lunch. James Doohan came in while we were eating. He was shooting a cameo on Homeboys in Outer Space that day.
I didn't bother either of them, though.

Doohan was probably one of the nicest I met from all the casts. Levar Burton is another really nice guy.

S1 & S2 of TNG are still worth wathcing despite the terrible eps. You get to see Tasha and her death, which helps understand a few poignant moments in later series, Guinan comes on board, Q makes several appearances etc etc

Speaking of Tasha, I loved the moment in 'The Most Toys' when Geordi is sorting through Data's belonging and he finds a little holographic replica of Tasha. Such a nice little moment.

Does anyone know why Ro wasn't made a permenant member of the cast in TNG? She was a good actress and the character was positively recieved IIRC. By that point they had already lost 2 cast memebers as well so there was a gap open.

I know this is a week late but I just wanted to touch upon this.

The funny thing about the EMH is that he is still essentially a computer program so he has to use up computer space right? And if he's learning and changing, won't that make him take up more memory on Voyagers comp since I'm guessing when he learns more, his program will write more code into his program.

I think this was referenced in the show. It was fixed with some hand-waving about 'compression'.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Does anyone know why Ro wasn't made a permenant member of the cast in TNG? She was a good actress and the character was positively recieved IIRC. By that point they had already lost 2 cast memebers as well so there was a gap open.

I think the writers intended to move her over to DS9 but she refused to commit to a series. So we got Kira instead.

She was also offered a role on Voyager, but again she turned it down as she didn't want full time, 26 episode a year sort of job.

So, we got Bellana Torres instead.

Well, not certain on that, but let's blame her anyway.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
She was also offered a role on Voyager, but again she turned it down as she didn't want full time, 26 episode a year sort of job.

They just would've ruined a great character anyway.

I think the writers intended to move her over to DS9 but she refused to commit to a series. So we got Kira instead.

Michelle Forbes is notorious for not wanting to be on TV fulltime, particularly SciFi. (And yet she was fulltime on Homicide (NBC) and now The Killing (AMC)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Ro, the TNG DVD complete set spends most of its editorial text discussing Ro Laren, so obviously someone involved with the series thought she was a pretty significant character.

jaxword

Michelle Forbes is notorious for not wanting to be on TV fulltime, particularly SciFi. (And yet she was fulltime on Homicide (NBC) and now The Killing (AMC)

As people get older they realize doors of opportunity start closing and they become less choosy.

She probably didn't want to be typecast as the woman with the ridges on her forehead and nose. Or doomed to forever haunt the convention scene.

I seem to remember an interview where she was hesitant about scifi but I think it was mainly that she was pursuing movies hard at the time.

LakeEarth

That gamble didn't seem to pay off...

She was in Kalifornia. That's the only movie I can think of.

Even though she's kind of been stuck in TV for most of her career, it has been going on for 20 years. And she's been showed up to be a recurring character in so many TV shows. Star Trek, BSG, Homicide, 24, True Blood, Prison Break, and now The Killing. That's great, especially for female actors.

She was in Kalifornia. That's the only movie I can think of.

Even though she's kind of been stuck in TV for most of her career, it has been going on for 20 years. And she's been showed up to be a recurring character in so many TV shows. Star Trek, BSG, Homicide, 24, True Blood, Prison Break, and now The Killing. That's great, especially for female actors.

I think both comments are accurate, actually. It's true; her movie turn didn't work out. But like most actors/actresses, she had to try. It's just that as it turns out, TV continued to be good to her. And games (see: Half Life 2+)

(Incidentally I always thought she quit Homicide but from what I've read she was actually let go when NBC was doing one of their reshuffles to save cash. Homicide was a critical darling but kept tumbling ratings-wise)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Also Tom Paris should have been Nicholas Locarno.

usea

I've been watching Enterprise, and yesterday I saw the episode in season 1 where they visit Risa. Archer meets an alien woman in a neighboring villa who also has a dog. Like, a dog from Earth. She even calls it a dog. They never explain how an alien got a dog.

At first I thought "okay, maybe some other humans had been out this far somehow and sold it." But then the very next line Archer brags about how they're the first humans that far from earth.

So dumb. I mean, I suppose a vulcan ship could have picked it up from earth and brought it to some international market. But they've said how much vulcans despise dogs like 5 times already in the show. Plus they're not really merchants.

Dumb.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Also Tom Paris should have been Nicholas Locarno.

Yeah, but then the writers for "The First Duty" would have had to been given money. So they just use the same character, same actor, and almost the same backstory and change the name so there's no trace of the character being crated by TNG writers.

Cheerilee

Yeah, but then the writers for "The First Duty" would have had to been given money. So they just use the same character, same actor, and almost the same backstory and change the name so there's no trace of the character being crated by TNG writers.

Bad decision, IMO. Using a character with a genuine and verifiable backstory (even if it's small) just makes them seem more "real", and that sense of authenticity spills over onto the rest of the show.

Just look at Chief O'Brien. Can you imagine if they had cheaped out and changed his name to Engineer Fitzpatrick between TNG and DS9? Especially once Worf showed up. Now picture if they had worked Wesley into Voyager somehow, like had him working with Reg Barclay on the Pathfinder project. Remember how they had emo-Reg whining to Admiral Paris about how people were forgetting that there were real people trapped on Voyager? What if he was whining to Admiral Locarno and Wesley? That scene instantly becomes more real.

And Voyager didn't exactly have budget problems.

So where's my best ST moments thread, Robotnik?

I've not forgot, just been a bit occupied with ordering all the Retro Studios research over in the gaming side. It should be up in a few days or so hopefully. I don't want to rush it. It'll have GIFs and stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Bad decision, IMO. Using a character with a genuine and verifiable backstory (even if it's small) just makes them seem more "real", and that sense of authenticity spills over onto the rest of the show.

Just look at Chief O'Brien. Can you imagine if they had cheaped out and changed his name to Engineer Fitzpatrick between TNG and DS9? Especially once Worf showed up. Now picture if they had worked Wesley into Voyager somehow, like had him working with Reg Barclay on the Pathfinder project. Remember how they had emo-Reg whining to Admiral Paris about how people were forgetting that there were real people trapped on Voyager? What if he was whining to Admiral Locarno and Wesley? That scene instantly becomes more real.

And Voyager didn't exactly have budget problems.

To be fair the name change to prevent paying writers is more of an urban legend, but it makes more sense than the official reason. Officially, the producers say that Lorcano was "irredeemable".

That makes perfect sense, because Nick Lorcano covered up the death of a fellow cadet when there's an accident, by lying. Where the totally "redeemable" Tom Paris, only covered up the death of THREE officers when there's an accident, by lying.

SEE, totally different!

Heck, if they were going to some up with a reason that isn't them being cheap, they could have just claimed that "Lorcano" isn't a very good, marketable name for a primary character.

I've not forgot, just been a bit occupied with ordering all the Retro Studios research over in the gaming side. It should be up in a few days or so hopefully. I don't want to rush it.

Eagerly awaiting Tapestry's inclusion. Best ep of TNG. I'll guess In The Pale Moonlight will be #1.

Eagerly awaiting Tapestry's inclusion. Best ep of TNG. I'll guess In The Pale Moonlight will be #1.

Its not going to be what you might expect. Given how this thread appears to have successfully introduced these weaker aspects of Trek to non-watchers, I'm going to intentionally try to cover both expected moments (ie Pale Moonlight) and some stuff that you never see in Top-20 lists. I'm going to look at diversity as well as quality I think. For example, with so many derided Holodeck episodes, what is the very best of this sub-genre? I'm hoping to produce a number of entries that are rarely mentioned in any "Best of Trek" listing, and hopefully make an OP that's inclusive to those on NeoGAF less familiar with Trek than we are. Well, hopefully.

This might make more sense when I've posted.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Its not going to be what you might expect. Given how this thread appears to have successfully introduced these weaker aspects of Trek to non-watchers, I'm going to intentionally try to cover both expected moments (ie Pale Moonlight) and some stuff that you never see in Top-20 lists. I'm going to look at diversity as well as quality I think. For example, with so many derided Holodeck episodes, what is the very best of this sub-genre? I'm hoping to produce a number of entries that are rarely mentioned in any "Best of Trek" listing, and hopefully make an OP that's inclusive to those on NeoGAF less familiar with Trek than we are. Well, hopefully.

This might make more sense when I've posted.

Won't it be painful acknowledging that the best holodeck episode is a Voyager episode though (Bride of Chaotica)

Won't it be painful acknowledging that the best holodeck episode is a Voyager episode though (Bride of Chaotica)

SHIP IN A BOTTLE surely!

Voyager's shining moments will be fairly acknowledged though. Most of them probably involve Robert Picardo in some way, it has to be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom