• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Most Impressive Hand-Made Thing You've Ever Seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-ibn Kermit

NO4HPrV.jpg

The IKEA showroom. Thousands of pieces and the whole thing can be assembled even if you're illiterate and have no electricity.

drspeedy

Boxwood carved rosary bead, circa 1500. Doesn't matter if you're religious or not, the detail and work involved is jaw-dropping, especially when you see how small they are... They look better than a lot of laser cut miniatures today.

Boxwood carved rosary bead, circa 1500. Doesn't matter if you're religious or not, the detail and work involved is jaw-dropping, especially when you see how small they are... They look better than a lot of laser cut miniatures today.

I saw one at the Met and you really can't appreciate how amazing it is until you see it in person. It's so small I can't imagine the skill required to make it.

Violet_0

Banned
300px-NAMA_Machine_d%27Anticyth%C3%A8re_1.jpg

The Antikythera mechanism (/ˌæntɨkɨˈθɪərə/ ANT-i-ki-THEER-ə or /ˌæntɨˈkɪθərə/ ANT-i-KITH-ə-rə) is an ancient analog computer[1][2][3][4] designed to calculate astronomical positions. It was recovered in 1900–1901 from the Antikythera wreck, but its significance and complexity were not understood until a century later. (...) The construction has been dated to the early 1st century BCE. Technological artifacts approaching its complexity and workmanship did not appear again until the 14th century CE, when mechanical astronomical clocks began to be built in Western Europe.[7]

Professor Michael Edmunds of Cardiff University, who led a 2006 study of the mechanism, said:[8][9]

"This device is just extraordinary, the only thing of its kind. The design is beautiful, the astronomy is exactly right. The way the mechanics are designed just makes your jaw drop. Whoever has done this has done it extremely carefully ... in terms of historic and scarcity value, I have to regard this mechanism as being more valuable than the Mona Lisa."
although I haven't actually seen it myself

Mobius 1

St. Peter's Basilica and everything contained within, particularly the works of Michelangelo and Bernini.

And the Sistine Chapel. My mind still boggles down attempting to comprehend the effort and genius of it.

Ferrio

Banned
Gorgeous pieces of art and feats of engineering in this thread, and the OP starts with an Ikea showroom.....

Hoo-doo

Banned
What's the harry potty chest thing to the right ? I WANT ONE NOW

I think if the average GAFfer would set foot in Adam Savage's house and saw what kind of rad shit he owned, his head would fucking explode.

I am so jealous of his hand-crafted replica of Deckard's gun from Blade Runner.

Gorgeous pieces of art and feats of engineering in this thread, and the OP starts with an Ikea showroom.....

You shut your mouth. I fucking love IKEA.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I think we need a stricter definition of "Hand-Made" here.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I also like that temple in India where all the people are fucking.

I think we need a stricter definition of "Hand-Made" here.
Simple machinery (like pullies). No industrial era shit.

nOoblet16

I also like that temple in India where all the people are fucking.

Simple machinery (like pullies). No industrial era shit.

khajuraho temple
sunrise-in-Khajuraho-by-piet-flour.jpg

Hundreds of carvings that's essentially just erotic, all though it only makes up for 10% of the total carvings

Hey the standard for what is impressive and what is handmade is very subjective. It's not meant to be a competition.

While true, if there was a thread that was called "best store/warehouse with most impressive handmade objects" the ikea showroom wouldn't even be considered for top 10.

casmith07

The Great Pyramids of Giza

giza.jpg

Rented a horse for the equivalent of $12 US and rode around the pyramids with a scarf around my neck, head, and face in the desert sands pretending I was Link in Gerudo Desert. I was 13 years old at the time.

Such an epic family trip. Egypt's obviously a certifiable disaster right now, but whenever it gets straightened out, everyone should try and go once. Take a pleasure cruise on the River Nile, see the Great Pyramids in Giza, ride in a death trap (see also: Cairo taxi cab), and go to the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities. When I went they had the entirety of King Tut's stuff in there, along with mummified everything you could imagine - animals, pharaohs, queens, etc.

Amazing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Easily the Pantheon of Rome. It was built in the freeakin' first century!

BkCqyYp.jpg

(yes I know the interior is not all original, but the dome is)

Heel

Wow, this is impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom