• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Most Motivational Speech From Any Movie...Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZg_ALxEz0

Fuck you. That's my name. You know why, mister? You drove a Hyundai to get here. I drove an eighty-thousand dollar BMW. THAT'S my name. And your name is you're wanting. You can't play in the man's game, you can't close them - go home and tell your wife your troubles. Because only one thing counts in this life: Get them to sign on the line which is dotted. You hear me you fucking faggots? A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing. ALWAYS BE CLOSING. A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have you attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision, for Christ? And Action. A-I-D-A. Get out there - you got the prospects coming in. You think they came in to get out of the rain? A guy don't walk on the lot lest he wants to buy. They're sitting out there waiting to give you their money. Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it? What's the problem, pal?

glengarry-glen-ross_610.jpg

Most motivational fucking speech from any movie...ever. This speech is phenomenal. Every time I start procrastinating I watch this scene and I'm right back to work. It's so brutally honest. So soul crushing. It makes me realize that I can't sit on my ass and wait for the world to come to me...if I want something I have to get off my ass and take it.

I've coasted for too damn long. I haven't tried in school since 8th grade. I got into one of the best colleges in the country, and then I coasted through that and got into a good law school. But I haven't tried. I know I'm smart. I wouldn't be were I am otherwise. But I am one lazy son of a bitch. But seriously, watching this speech flipped a switch inside me and every time I watch it I get pumped to go apply for jobs despite being turned down repeatedly, despite having a shitty GPA thus far (since I know that I can bring that up if I just start applying myself).

This shit is a fucking wakeup call.

The sad part is that despite being told this for years, that I'm wasting potential, that I'm lazy, etc. It took Alec fucking Baldwin yelling at some real estate salesmen in a movie from the 90s that I only saw over Christmas Break a couple months ago to get me to realize it.

Better late than never, I guess.

I see a lot of "woe is me" threads on GAF sometimes. The harsh truth for these people is that the only way for your life to get better is for you to actually do something about it. Nobody is going to do it for you. Just like nobody did anything for me. Life doesn't hand you things. You have to kick it in the balls and take it.

Keep on keepin on, GAF.

Guevara

"Good morning. Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist and should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"

Rocky's speech to his son in Rocky Balboa (2006)

Rocky Balboa: You ain't gonna believe this, but you used to fit right here.
[taps on the inside of his hand]

I'd hold you up to say to your mother, "this kid's gonna be the best kid in the world. This kid's gonna be somebody better than anybody I ever knew." And you grew up good and wonderful. It was great just watching you, every day was like a privilige. Then the time come for you to be your own man and take on the world, and you did. But somewhere along the line, you changed. You stopped being you. You let people stick a finger in your face and tell you you're no good. And when things got hard, you started looking for something to blame, like a big shadow. Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that! I'm always gonna love you no matter what. No matter what happens. You're my son and you're my blood. You're the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, ya ain't gonna have a life. Don't forget to visit your mother.

rocky+balboa.png

Pollux

Any answer that isn't The Great Dictator is wrong. Alec Baldwin's speech is fantastically written, but motivational? I don't think so.

How do you not think that's motivational? When you were cussed out by a coach after a failed play did that not make you play harder the next time?

WedgeX

Banned
Today, we celebrate our INDEPENDENCE DAY

bill20pullman20id4-thumb-550x298-46849.jpg

Excellent.

Any answer that isn't The Great Dictator is wrong. Alec Baldwin's speech is fantastically written, but motivational? I don't think so.

You have to at least link the video!

I mean, got dang.

Charlie Chaplin said:
I’m sorry, but I don’t want to be an emperor. That’s not my business. I don’t want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone - if possible - Jew, Gentile - black man - white. We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other’s happiness - not by each other’s misery. We don’t want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone. And the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone. The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way.

Greed has poisoned men’s souls, has barricaded the world with hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost....

The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men - cries out for universal brotherhood - for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world - millions of despairing men, women, and little children - victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people.

To those who can hear me, I say - do not despair. The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed - the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish. .....

Soldiers! don’t give yourselves to brutes - men who despise you - enslave you - who regiment your lives - tell you what to do - what to think and what to feel! Who drill you - diet you - treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don’t hate! Only the unloved hate - the unloved and the unnatural! Soldiers! Don’t fight for slavery! Fight for liberty!

In the 17th Chapter of St Luke it is written: “the Kingdom of God is within man” - not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people have the power - the power to create machines. The power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

Then - in the name of democracy - let us use that power - let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world - a decent world that will give men a chance to work - that will give youth a future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie! They do not fulfil that promise. They never will!

Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people! Now let us fight to fulfil that promise! Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men’s happiness. Soldiers! in the name of democracy, let us all unite!

jtb

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZg_ALxEz0

glengarry-glen-ross_610.jpg

Most motivational fucking speech from any movie...ever. This speech is phenomenal. Every time I start procrastinating I watch this scene and I'm right back to work. It's so brutally honest. So soul crushing. It makes me realize that I can't sit on my ass and wait for the world to come to me...if I want something I have to get off my ass and take it.

I've coasted for too damn long. I haven't tried in school since 8th grade. I got into one of the best colleges in the country, and then I coasted through that and got into a good law school. But I haven't tried. I know I'm smart. I wouldn't be were I am otherwise. But I am one lazy son of a bitch. But seriously, watching this speech flipped a switch inside me and every time I watch it I get pumped to go apply for jobs despite being turned down repeatedly, despite having a shitty GPA thus far (since I know that I can bring that up if I just start applying myself).

This shit is a fucking wakeup call.

The sad part is that despite being told this for years, that I'm wasting potential, that I'm lazy, etc. It took Alec fucking Baldwin yelling at some real estate salesmen in a movie from the 90s that I only saw over Christmas Break a couple months ago to get me to realize it.

Better late than never, I guess.

I see a lot of "woe is me" threads on GAF sometimes. The harsh truth for these people is that the only way for your life to get better is for you to actually do something about it. Nobody is going to do it for you. Just like nobody did anything for me. Life doesn't hand you things. You have to kick it in the balls and take it.

Keep on keepin on, GAF.

That's not really what Glengarry Glen Ross is advocating. But it's a pretty great speech. Not in the original stage version either, Mamet wrote it specifically for Baldwin and the film adaptation.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
How do you not think that's motivational? When you were cussed out by a coach after a failed play did that not make you play harder the next time?
Baldwins character is a salesman. He is selling them on busting their asses with sub standard help to make a shit load of money for him and barely enough to survive for themselves. All the while throwing the shit they have earned for him and their lack of success in their faces. It's demotivating.

jtb

Banned
Anyone who finds Baldwin's speech in Glengarry motivating clearly hasn't seen the rest of the play/movie. The whole thing is an attack on the cutthroat world rather than a celebration of it.

Also, Kevin Spacey looks so different with a full head of thick, black hair. That or the glasses. Barely recognizable.

JohnDoe

Banned
Tbh, I find the materialistic nature of that speech in the OP rather disgusting.

Anyone who finds Baldwin's speech in Glengarry motivating clearly hasn't seen the rest of the play/movie. The whole thing is an attack on the cutthroat world rather than a celebration of it.

Huh yeah, that's the impression I got too.

OP stalking me confirmed. I looked that speech up on YouTube this morning. I've also been in your shoes (although my GPA might have been better; heh).

I love the Great Dictator speech. Someone added a track from the Inception soundtrack to it that I also like: http://youtu.be/qLci5DoZqHU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom