• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Most Motivational Speech From Any Movie...Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon

Saw the thread title and immediately thought of rocky Balboa. Its a bit I've kept with me since things in my life fell apart. It pushed me to go back to school and get my degree.

Verendus

Banned
The Any Given Sunday speech reminded me of who's actually the best head coach to ever give a pregame pep talk: Rex Ryan of the New York Jets

This is how you pump a team up.
Seriously?

Those speeches are shit. They do make the Any Given Sunday speech look even more glorious though.

The Glenngarry scene is great, but I've always been partial to this scene from Deadwood (not a movie, but Deadwood is better than most movies):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Q7YRDL90E

I love this one so much. I mean, the Glengarry rant is hall-of-fame, yeah. Same with Rocky setting his kid straight - that speech is the entire point the movie EXISTS. But Al's talk right there is a hell of a lot of truth in about 1 minute.

Charlie-Chaplin_The-Great-Dictator.jpg

Charlie Chaplain - The Great Dictator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcvjoWOwnn4

I think this counts as motivational

Don't see how anyone else can pick anything but this.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
How do you not think that's motivational? When you were cussed out by a coach after a failed play did that not make you play harder the next time?

Because I don't aspire to be a sociopath.

Surprised to not see more posts for Boiler Room. It was the first thing that came to mind. Maybe it's just because I was in sales for a while.

Macmanus

7052593989_1cb667728a.jpg

The next time you see sky, it'll be over another town. The next time you take a test, it'll be in some other school. Our parents, they want the bestest stuff for us. But right now they gotta do what's right for them, 'cause it's their time. Their time, up there. Down here it's our time. It's our time down here. That's all over the second we ride up Troy's bucket.

Troy's bucket, guys!

~

i heard/saw the glengarry speech for the first time maybe a month or so ago. it's awful.

lol

Pillville

Revenge of the Nerds
0.jpg

Gilbert: I just wanted to say that I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds. I mean uh, all our lives we've been laughed at and made to feel inferior. And tonight, those bastards, they trashed our house. Why? Because we're smart? Because we look different? Well, we're not. I'm a nerd, and uh, I'm pretty proud of it.
Lewis: Hi, Gilbert. I'm a nerd too. I just found that out tonight. We have news for the beautiful people. There's a lot more of us then there are of you. I know there's alumni here tonight. When you went to Adams you might've been called a spazz, or a dork, or a geek. Any of you that have ever felt stepped on, left out, picked on, put down, whether you think you're a nerd or not, why don't you just come down here and join us. Okay? Come on.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's because Boiler Room is like the Oldsmobile version of Baldwin's Cadillac speech.

Oh gawd. My parents had a '77 Oldsmobile Delta 88 when I was a little kid. They never referred to it as a car or an Oldsmobile, only as "the lemon".
But yeah, the Boiler Room was a pale imitation.
I still liked it.

Stet

Banned
Glengarry is a great speech but not motivational. The only person it motivates is Roma, and he's motivated to begin with.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
watching that scene in glengarry to get some motivational fire burning is like watching starship troopers to get pumped for joining the army.

great monologue, nonetheless.

Blair

Banned
Sam: It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something even if you were too small to understand why. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in the world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom