• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most overrated game of the Generation

The most overrated game of the Generation

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 64 7.1%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 26 2.9%
  • God of War

Votes: 41 4.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 105 11.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Zela: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 135 15.1%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 228 25.4%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 43 4.8%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 29 3.2%
  • Overwatch

Votes: 39 4.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 33 3.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Celeste

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Monster Hunter: World

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Persona 5

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Inside

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 47 5.2%
  • Undertale

Votes: 18 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enzo88

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, without question.
  • The world is utterly lifeless. Easily one of the least interesting open worlds this gen.
  • While the physics and sandbox-ness of the game is used heavily in the shrines, it's not used anywhere else at all.
  • The voice acting and overall presentation feel like a game from 2005, if not older.
  • Weapon durability was a mistake. You're forced to carry around a bunch of weapons just in case what you're using decides to break
  • There's basically no story
  • Needing to wear certain armors in certain areas was just dumb. It hindered exploration and forced me to check a guide just to find out how to get access to a new area
I can't believe this game released the same year as Horizon Zero Dawn, which shits all over it in every possible way.
While the other points might come down to opinions, this is straight up lying.

Last edited:

perkelson

Easily Breath of The Wild.

Basically Nintendo Ubisoft checkmark game albeit a bit nicer from start.

On other hand i was suprised just how many Nintendo fans never played open world games. It truly is different gaming community who never plays anything other than Nintendo or only gives something a go if it comes from Nintendo.

perkelson

I'm glad botw is getting shit on, as many predicted. Skyward turd 2.

I played The Ocarina of Time 5 years ago, never liked Nintendo Ips and thought Zelda is gay. Absolutely loved Ocarina of Time and instantly went for Majoras Mask which was even better. I played it nearly 2 decades with shitty graphics and it instantly because my top 10 best games ever.

I thought for a second maybe BOTW will be as good but it felt completely hollow. Aside from opening and first few hours it became basically Ubisoft open world from Assasin Creed 1 times. Instead of nice dungeons completely retarded shrines for 20 IQ mobile gamers, instead of great level design, empty overworld, instead of nice story bit and pieces, instead of great characters again crumbs.

Dr.Morris79

RDR2, because Rockstar declared war on gamers everywhere when they force fed us BS like this and expected us to take it.

tumblr_pn02gkzKrI1rzhmyko3_500.gifv

Laughing all the way to the bank they were.

I'll bet you they had a few game developers chained up, ematiated, screaming "Please! Let's give players meaningful choices to make in and out of missions!"

And Rockstar leadership was like "No! Just keep making the graphics better! The siren song of pretty visuals will be too much for the masses!"
What are you blathering about?

What the fuck are most of you blathering about? Most of these replies just scream of 'hot take' bullshit.

On other hand i was suprised just how many Nintendo fans never played open world games. It truly is different gaming community who never plays anything other than Nintendo or only gives something a go if it comes from Nintendo.
You can say that about every fanbase. There are tons of Xbox and Playstation fanboys who only play on one console. Same with pc.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
- The Last of Us 2 (story is poor, too many contradictions, you can smell personal propaganda)
- Breath of the Wild (Nice story and physics but low content - Copy and Paste content a la Assasins Creed is just not doing it for me and annoying weapon breaking systems and stuff. ANd i dont like just spending my time discovering an empty world)
- Persona 5 (feels like reptition and monotone gameplay)
- Horizon (just gets boring even on hard and like i said.... copy and paste content just not doing it for me)

Last edited:

Hestar69

Fortnite is the fucking WORST/most over rated game ever. The gunplay is fucking god awful! It's only popular because kids like to buy the skins and they add tiktok dances.

My other response is a game I actually liked...................undertale

I enjoyed the game,it wasnt perfect by far ,but some of the fans of this game are insane about it and don't you say anything bad aboutit!. soundtrack is a 100/10 though.

oxman2k

forza horizon games way overrated crap multiplayer poor handling not a patch on the proper forza games.open world racing games just don't work to much fucking around especially in multiplayer just to get a race.GTA games multiplayer online same as forza to much variety no lobby system poor controls again to much fucking around and waiting to get a game type you want.really hope they sort the next gta out needs a locked 60fps better controls proper lobby system not so many crap game types etc.

evanft

While the other points might come down to opinions, this is straight up lying.
You may be right as it's been a while since I played the game, though I don't remember it being used as effectively as it was in the shrines.

I actually think a lot of Ubisoft games are better. Watch Dogs 2 and the early Assassin's Creed (I haven't played the newer ones) were better games to me.

Krisprolls

Banned
Those threads are a bit pointless. You didn't like game X, so what? It's just your opinion, not more valuable than millions of others.

It won't change how the game you don't like was rated, or the way it sold. Just move on and choose another game you'll love more. Or even better, learn to open your mind and understand what all those people liked that you didn't see before.

Even the best game in the world won't be loved by everybody.

For me the main culprit was BoTW. Bought a Switch for it and found that it was a make your own fun kind of game that I wasn't enjoying - really missed the big Zelda dungeons etc. Buyer beware etc but I've heard the complaint enough to know that giving it 10/10 is probably a stretch.

I thought Mario Odyssey was very good but 97 Metacritic is absolutely nuts.

I thought Horizon and Uncharted 4 were 7/10 games not worth the 9s and 10s they got.

Read Dead 2 and BOTW. Especially RDR2 - outdated gameplay mechanics, poor controls and laborious experiences.

Unfortunately in this industry if the studio is Rockstar or Nintendo - automatic 10/10 without hesitation.

If the title of these games were any different from another developer - they'd be 7/10 not a point more.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Red Dead Redemption 2. Extremely boring with outdated mission design.

Cyberpunk 2077 would be a good choice too, but it's kinda saved by the main quests and characters.

Forza Horizon 3 and 4 too. Couldn't get into it at all, seemed very boring to me.
Those threads are a bit pointless. You didn't like game X, so what? It's just your opinion, not more valuable than millions of others.

It won't change how the game you don't like was rated, or the way it sold. Just move on and choose another game you'll love more. Or even better, learn to open your mind and understand what all those people liked that you didn't see before.

Even the best game in the world won't be loved by everybody.

You got two people using the same account there, chief?

Guilty_AI

GOW PS4 has the best combat in the franchise period. Seriously, GOW is the only recent action adventure game that tried to do something different than being "another souls-like combat", and this while being quite satisfying, brutal and responsive.

Also, I just saw someone else comment here that GOW combat is a souls-like wannabe, WTF? you are all seeing Dark Souls everywhere at this point. GOW has almost NOTHING of Souls-like combat (maybe lending to the brutality?) seriously; it is a different take.

Feels more like a brawler than a souls-like to me, but for some reason they decided to use the fixed camera of a shooter.... now add to that a completely unnecessary RPG leveling system that just worsens the experience by completely throwing the balance off, lack of enemy and boss variety and some really sluggish movement.
The end result is an underwhelming experience when compared to its predecessors that had great difficulty curve, fixed but completely functional camera, responsive controls, loads of different types of enemies and some of the most thrilling and amazing boss fights you'd see at the time.

Krisprolls

Banned
You got two people using the same account there, chief?

No, I just answered then realized how pointless that was.

We all have hot takes about beloved games, I'm just not sure those threads achieve anything.

I don't like x game everybody loves, so what?

Last edited:

Starfield

Death Stranding.

People were wanking their weiners whemever Kojima walked up on stage to show us his social distancing Norman Reedus amazon simulator and even when it came out it got good reviews when im reality it was the most boring game that has evee come out so far.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No, I just answered then realized how pointless that was.

We all have hot takes about beloved games, I'm just not sure those threads achieve anything.

It's a video game forum. Entire thing is pointless if nobody shares their opinions. Hell, you even got tagged for posting strong opinions on things.

Orta

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn. Bought a ps4 just for it after being seduced by the E3 videos and reviews. Bored me to tears and left me with a €300 paper weight.

People who say its better than botw are clearly mentally ill :messenger_tears_of_joy:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, without question.
  • The world is utterly lifeless. Easily one of the least interesting open worlds this gen.
  • While the physics and sandbox-ness of the game is used heavily in the shrines, it's not used anywhere else at all.
  • The voice acting and overall presentation feel like a game from 2005, if not older.
  • Weapon durability was a mistake. You're forced to carry around a bunch of weapons just in case what you're using decides to break
  • There's basically no story
  • Needing to wear certain armors in certain areas was just dumb. It hindered exploration and forced me to check a guide just to find out how to get access to a new area
I can't believe this game released the same year as Horizon Zero Dawn, which shits all over it in every possible way.

Absolutely agree. For me BotW was a walking simulator in an empty world, with now and then bits fighting the same enemies, plucking apples and cooking. Every once in a while a tower that was almost indistinguishable from all the other towers. No sense of progression at all. That got really boring after ten hours. Only thing the Zelda game did right was that you could climb literally anywhere. And I was dumb enough to buy a Switch for this game.

H:ZD on the other hand was my game of the year.

missiles

I hate myself for getting sucked in by the ND hype again and buying TLOU2 at launch. Sony first party FOMO strikes again.

Just a relentlessly tedious game with repetitive mechanics, annoying buddy AI and completely underwhelming gameplay.

Krisprolls

Banned
It's a video game forum. Entire thing is pointless if nobody shares their opinions. Hell, you even got tagged for posting strong opinions on things.

Sure. I just don't think those threads are the best ones. Everybody comes with his hot take about a different blockbuster expecting some kind of agreement that won't come.

And tags are just meaningless. The random opinion of a random guy (who happens to be mod) about my own opinion. Hard to be more pointless. Unless you think anybody could actually be afraid of a brand. Basically they're just the sign you somehow triggered a mod.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Titanfall 2 - It's fine but cmon even singularity was better.
Days gone - Bad characters, story, gameplay loop, filler.
Horizon zero dawn - constant crafting, annoying combat, empty world, boring, repetitive.
Persona5 - I just don't get it. It's just anime.
Rdr2 - terrible missions and slowed down gameplay.
Cyberpunk obviously

Btw I love bb, gow, tlou2, death stranding, mgs5 and others. To this day I am surprised death stranding meet my super hyped expectations... Tlou2 at least had to fight for it since I hated it in first hours

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I've gotta go with:
Control.

I have no idea what you anyone likes about that game or especially what digital foundry keeps jizzing themselves when they mention it.

Quite a taxing game on PC considering its just rendering offices. That's some major escapism right there lol.

A typical " ugh my memories" strong womenz storyline in that it doesn't make the woman look strong. Kinda like an anime storyline in that way.

Bad level design because everything looks the same.. again it's just offices.

And lads it's just boring.

I'm not exactly a major seller, but the way some gamers go on about it is if it's in the top tier games of that year.

It probably wasn't even the best game released that week.

klosos

Persona 4 , Horizon Zero Dawn , everything Arkane Studios such an overrated studio nothing they have produced has been over a 7/10 for me

mcjmetroid

For me the main culprit was BoTW. Bought a Switch for it and found that it was a make your own fun kind of game that I wasn't enjoying - really missed the big Zelda dungeons etc. Buyer beware etc but I've heard the complaint enough to know that giving it 10/10 is probably a stretch.

I thought Mario Odyssey was very good but 97 Metacritic is absolutely nuts.

I thought Horizon and Uncharted 4 were 7/10 games not worth the 9s and 10s they got.
I enjoyed breath of the wild and mario games but Nintendo games constantly score higher than they should.

I remember Skyward sword getting a high score from a few outlets and most people complained of bad controls.

GenericUser

The last of us part 2, by a huge margin. I don't even mean the SJW shit they shoehorned into the game, but the core gameplay is basically identically to the first game. And I don't even think that the first game was really special, just another generic sony walking simulator flavored with zombies. I don't understand how a game that is this shitty can get so many awards. Opinions probably.

Last edited:
TLOU2. - makes the first game and its characters meaningless in some preachy, not-subtle-at-all, misguided attempt to make us love trans people and learn that revenge is bad. Mostly copies the first game in many other ways.

Zelda: Breath of The Wild - Nintendo dabbles with weapon degradation and open world game design.

Call of Duty (insert subtitle here) - just more CoD.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

So many people hating on RDR2, I’m actually surprised. You’re in a vast world during the late 19th century with limited technology, you live in a camp and ride a horse. What do you expect from the gameplay? This is not an action game, imo. If you don’t embrace the life of Arthur Morgan I think you’re playing it wrong.

Of course I agree it’s not for everyone, but if you approach it with a certain mindset you’ll definitely hate the game.

I’ve been slowly playing it for 3 weeks now and I’ve had nothing but great moments, including riding a horse for minutes until I get to the next location and while I do this I take my time to appreciate the wilderness and do some hunting. I live the life. It’s supposed to be slow.

As for overrated games, I didn’t play a lot of games during this gen but 2 of them I just stopped playing cause they didn’t click with me.
Uncharted 4 and Monster Hunter World.

hemo memo

Gold Member
TLOU2. - makes the first game and its characters meaningless in some preachy, not-subtle-at-all, misguided attempt to make us love trans people and learn that revenge is bad. Mostly copies the first game in many other ways.

Zelda: Breath of The Wild - Nintendo dabbles with weapon degradation and open world game design.

Call of Duty (insert subtitle here) - just more CoD.
TLOU2 is the worst sequel of all time and not just for games.

killatopak

It’s between TLOU2 and BotW for me.

I’m definitely inching more towards Zelda. Beneath the controversial story of TLOU2, the game is still awesome. BotW for me on all fronts is just disappointing. An absolute downgrade in story and gameplay compared to previous entries. Sure the sense of discovery is great but that’s not why I play Zelda.

Last edited:
Spiderman.

It's a good game, but the third half of the game renders the game a chore.

Bad enough the sidequests is absolute drivel, but the third half makes the swinging aspect of the game a lot less fun when all of a sudden everyone has rocket launchers shooting at you with absolute precision.

It the best spiderman game ever still.

But ya know theres a lot to improve upon when it comes to the open world side missions.

Top Bottom