• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF 1 year challenge: stop buying games*

CvGz

Neo Member
I haven't been able to really get time to really play anything, I just finished my first game of the year, Vanquish (PS3). Feels good. I keep feeling the desire for a Wii U and MonHun but I won't give in. If I have to escape clause it, I'd rather get the 3DS version as to mitigate how much I spend in the process..

AdamMPSP

I'd love to do this. I recently used howlongtobeat.com to calculate my backlog, and not counting Steam games or games from last generation, it was at 67 days (24 hours times 67) of total playtime, which is ridiculous.

Since doing this math, I bought a Wii U with 5 games and tomorrow I'm getting Bioshock: Infinite. I really have a problem. Combine that with the fact that I recently left my job of 5 years and am now unemployed in Los Angeles, I should really be saving my money for my expensive monthly rent instead of games I never finish.

I always justify the purchases with WELL I DON'T SPEND MONEY ON CLOTHES OR CLUBBING OR WHATEVER but like many on this thread, just having the backlog makes it so I'm actually enjoying the games less. I think if I had just bought one game for my Wii U, I would be having more fun with it, but instead I got it 7 days ago and I've already bought 5 games. Now I can't ever decide what to play, and instead I just play Persona 4 on my Vita.

I alos justify it with WELL THIS IS WHAT I'M INTERESTED IN. And also, I have the benefit that for much of my life I've made my income from jobs in the games industry, and so it's not just throwing money away, but when I don't play them, it still sort of is.

The recent practice of all the HD re-releases really puts this in perspective, as now I'm rebuying games in HD versions that I never played/finished when I originally bought them last generation.

So yeah, what I'm saying is that I'd love to do this, but I'm not sure if I have the willpower yet, specifically with new consoles coming out. I might try and do a modified version of this, where I don't buy new games until I pick up a new console. Hm.

Bururian

I traded in my Xbox 360 two weeks ago for a PS3, mainly for the Bluray. Guy at the game store upsold me a copy of Uncharted with the system, so that was $10.

I beat the game in two days. Bought Mega Man 3 on the 3DS eShop the day it came out, but I cleared that game within a couple of hours.

I traded in a bunch of my 360 games since I didn't have a 360 anymore, and got Eternal Sonata (Which I beat on the 360 years ago, just wanted to beat it again for the fixed ending and extra content) and a copy of White Knight Chronicles 2, and am currently playing White Knight Chronicles 1, roughly 10+ hours in at this point.

I'm actually doing pretty good for myself since if I am coming across games, I'm beating them in a timely manner.

So I might be out? My wife discovered Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and the 2 of us are going all in with it. I don't expect to do much damage to my backlog since my time is currently being dedicated to this. I still haven't bought any new games this year, outside of my 2 excpetions, but I may pull the plug on the whole initiative

it was no new games except for 4 that I already had preordered, until I clear out my backlog. Currently at 18

Spierek

Week 21:
Games bought - 3
Games finished - 18
Backlog - right here.
Now playing - Rewrite, Slender: The Arrival

I love national holidays. Managed to finish Skyward Sword which I enjoyed quite a bit, because it made me go "wow" many times during that 30+h playthrough. After that, I picked up and finished Kirby's Epic Yarn - it was quite solid and adorable, though short (5:30h) and lacking in those aforementioned "wow" moments (apart from several boss fights and transformations).

Meanwhile, my pre-ordered (50% off) copy of Slender: The Arrival has arrived (pun intended), and I'm going to finish it as soon as I get back home (where I can play the game after dark and without the "little kids running around" influence; like should be played).

Hm, the only things game related I have bought are some DLC or sale download stuff on XBL and then a few iOS apps, outside of that I am still holding true to not spending on new games.

I did buy some games in the GoD sale the other week but only because they were EXTREMELY cheap and I had about 3000 allards already, did not spend any extra money on those and I doubt I will even install them until I have more time at the end of the year. (My own game takes up 90% of my time)

Spent a few hours on halo 4 and gears 3 this weekend, still great games and about to finish halo 4 on heroic since legendary was causing me pain with ever dissapearing weapons and no ammo.

Katzii

Week 15 Summary: March 31st 2013

MY BACKLOGGERY

Completed games: 0
Games started: 2
New games purchased: 2
Total spent on games since 01/12/2012: £57.18

Not much to say here!

I bought the two new games I mentioned I would be purchasing before, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Lego City Undercover. I've added the money I spent on these (which doesn't include gift cards and trade-ins). I did get this money from the sale of other games, but still. It's cash.

As such, I've not completed any other games. I've put Pokémon Crystal and Age of Empires on hold for now, but I don't think that will be an indefinite thing. Far from; I do want to complete both but with things being as hectic as they have been, I just want to hone my focus on fewer games. I've nearly completed Toejam and Earl in Panic on Funkotron, though, and I hope that will be done soon!

Katzii

Everyone has their own "escape clauses", if you will. I'm using the OP's escape clause in which I am allowed to buy new games, but only if I play/complete them straight after buying them. Some people are buying no games at all.

For me, the challenge is to seriously cut down the amount of games I buy and actually play and beat them. I've managed to complete about 15 so far this year.

Sanctuary

My issue isn't so much about buying so many games that I can't keep up with a big backlog and more to do with the fact that too many games that I own are left unfinished, because I quickly tire of them.

Ledsen

LOL basically just using this as my Backloggery now...

ALTHOUGH! I did beat Nimbus ;)

Purchases (beaten games striked out)
Syndicate
Far Cry 3
Hotline Miami
Book of Unwritten Tales
Mass Effect 3 (currently playing)
Deadlight
Mark of the Ninja
Iron Brigade
Dissidia 012
Darksiders 2
XCom
Groupees Retro Bundle (Anodyne, Bleed)
Bioshock Infinite
Tomb Raider (currently playing)
Groupees Build a Greenlight Bundle 2 ()
Monaco (currently playing)
Sleeping Dogs
Max Payne 3
Hitman: Absolution
Fez
Miasmata
Groupees Be Mine 8
Dishonored
Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing Transformed (currently playing)
Borderlands 2 (currently playing)
Drakensang: River of Time
On the Rain-slick... 3
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Fable 1
The Swapper
Syberia
Telltale Humble Bundle
Humble Bundle 8
Offspring Fling
Stealth Bastard

Repeat purchases
Brutal Legend (beaten on 360)
Darksiders (beaten on 360)

DLC Purchases
Civ V Gods & Kings
Crusader Kings 2 Legacy of Rome
Trine 2 Goblin Menace
CK2 The Republic

Bought for/to play with the gf
Scribblenauts Unlimited
LEGO Lord of the Rings
LEGO Harry Potter
LEGO Batman 1-2

Gifts received
Krater
Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles (currently playing)
Deponia

Backlog games beaten (games owned before challenge)
Dark Souls
Sword & Sworcery
To the Moon
The Walking Dead
Aliens Infestation (DS)
The Blackwell Legacy
Crysis
Need for Speed: The Run
Nimbus
Out There Somewhere

Total games beaten since challenge started: 20

Bururian

Games Bought this Year:

Etrian Odyssey 4 [Beaten]
Uncharted 1 [Beaten]
White Knight Chronicles [In Progress]
White Knight Chronicles 2 (1&2 came on the same disc)
Eternal Sonata [Beaten] (Bought and finished in 2009, repurchased from former trade in)
Rogue Galaxy [Beaten] (Bought and finished in 2007, repurchased from former trade in)

Game gifted:
Fire Emblem: Awakening [In Progress]

I'm doing pretty good this year so far.

RpgN

I failed too, but I wouldn't mind using the thread as backloggery progress as well. Too many Vita games bought, it's getting silly.

I don't remeber the last time I completed the exact games and progress on others (too busy with college), but Dokuro and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (gamecube) have been completed a while ago.

Katzii

Week 16 Summary: April 7th 2013

MY BACKLOGGERY

Completed games: 2
Games started: 0
New games purchased: 0

Pretty "blank" week this week.

I'm still continuing with Luigi's Mansion and Lego City: Undercover. Loving them both; I've put about 7 1/2 hours into the former and 13 hours into the latter, and am nowhere near finished with either so hoping both will keep me going for a couple of weeks at least (I know Lego will have me going for a long while with collectibles).

As for completed games? I finally got to the end of Toejam and Earl in Panic on Funkotron and my friend and I completed a playthrough of Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One (and promptly started another!).

My next definite clause-breaker is Animal Crossing in June, which I've already paid off in trade-ins. It's a pretty special series to me, but not exactly sure how a game with no actual "end" to it works in this challenge. I mean, I'll be playing it for a long while, but I can't exactly "complete" it.

Spierek

Week 22:
Games bought - 3
Games finished - 19
Backlog - right here.
Now playing - Rewrite

Finished Slender: The Arrival - it was short, but quite good. In my opinion the two best things about the game were those distortion effects (loving that stuff) and audio design. Right sounds at the right moments, intertwined with a moody soundtrack. To be honest though, the door opening mechanic is broken as hell, the optimization is a wreck (had to go to low/medium with almost every effect) and most of the game is "collect X of Y". The biggest flaw is that last point - I'd like to see a Slenderman-related title that is more like Amnesia, and less like "grab 8 pages for no apparent reason".

Bururian

White Knight Chronicles has been beaten.
I'm about halfway through the second game now.

I'm about halfway through Fire Emblem Awakening, as well.

Doing good progress.

isual

For the month of April.

PS2 GAMES
front mission 5 JP version
magna carta tears of blood
bards tale
grandia 2 FINISHED
grandia 3
grandia xtreme
mana khemia alchemists of al revis
castlevania curse of darkness
wild arms 5 FINISHED
wild arms alter code f FINISHED
street fighter anniversary
full metal alchemist 1
full metal alchemist 2
lotr third age FINISHED
stella deus
steambot chronicles
xmen legends 2
baroque
suikoden tactics
metal saga
mega man command mission x (accidentally deleted my save file; have to restart - made significant progress; holy crap, the battle in this game are slow)
romancing saga
rogue galaxy FINISHED
shadow hearts 1 FINISHED
shining tears
atelier iris 1
atelier iris 2
makai kingdom
disgaea 1
disgaea 2
la pucelle tactics
phantom brave
suikoden 5 FINISHED
SMT Devil summoner raidou kazunoha vs the soulless army
SMT Devil summoner raidou kazunoha vs king abaddon
SMT Persona 3 FES FINISHED
SMT Persona 4 FINISHED

PSP GAMES
valkyria chronicles 2
super robot wars z2 FINISHED
super robot wars a portable
super robot war mx portable
crimson gem saga
hexyz force

PS3 GAMES
modern warfare 3 FINISHED
nier
darksiders 2
star ocean 4
resonance of fate
white knight chronicles
white knight chronicles 2
ff 13-2
fear 3
disgaea 4
dc online universe (max level 30 ?)
trinity souls of zill o
valkyria chronicles FINISHED

XBOX 360 GAMES
Final Fantasy 11 Online (Re subbed back to this superb game. sure does help having achievements to attain
front mission evolved FINISHED
risen
cod black ops FINISHED
two worlds 2
divinity 2 dragon knight saga
need for speed the run FINISHED
mass effect 3 extended FINISHED
magic 2013 FINISHED
agarest war
agarest war zero
magna Carta 2
halo 4 FINISHED
cod black ops 2 FINISHED
dragons dogma FINISHED
borderlands GOTY
alpha protocol

PC GAMES
Final Fantasy 11 (Back to playing this superb game. It's a great motivator if you have achievements to attain)
world of tanks (finally got the jagdpanther, i want the king tiger now) - 3 months later, I still want that King Tiger
battlefield 3 FINISHED playing endgame DLC now
diablo 3 FINISHED Inferno and Barb paragon 14
TERA (level 43)
trine 1
trine 2
ys origins
witcher 1
Heart of the Swarm FINISHED

DS GAMES
pokemon heartgold
pokemon black version 2
dragon quest 5
final fantasy 3
smt strange journey

PS ONE GAMES
FF Chronicles (specifically FF4) stuck at the boss after the magus sisters in the tower where you rescue the girl - probably need to grind a ton

BOOKS
war40k Nemesis FINISHED
war40k ciaphas cain omnibus hero of the imperium
war40k fear to tread
war40k ravenor omnibus
Glen Cook's Black company omnibus soldiers live
Glen Cook's Black company omnibus
War by Sebastian Gunger

So I might be out? My wife discovered Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and the 2 of us are going all in with it. I don't expect to do much damage to my backlog since my time is currently being dedicated to this. I still haven't bought any new games this year, outside of my 2 excpetions, but I may pull the plug on the whole initiative

it was no new games except for 4 that I already had preordered, until I clear out my backlog. Currently at 18

So I'm back. I've had my fill of multiplayer and am back to my backlog. Still haven't bought a game for myself other than my 2/4 exceptions, so far.

my details are in the 2013 backlog thread

Spierek

Week 23:
Games bought - 4
Games finished - 20
Backlog - right here.
Now playing - Rewrite

Thanks to a ridiculously good deal (less than 4$) I bought Spec Ops: The Line on Monday. Then, during the same week I finished the game. No regrets whatsoever, it was really worth playing.

Katzii

I just realised that I forgot to update last Sunday.

Nothing worthy of reporting anyway.

Will do a write-up this Sunday.

vall03

Totally forgot about this thread! Anyway, Im ashamed to say that I failed the challenge. Up until now, I've been relying on the Escape Clause to stay, but sadly, a game I was expecting to receive on May, arrived earlier and I got it last week. Im currently playing Soul Hackers so I don't have any time to play the other game I have no access to a tv right now, so I can't even see myself finishing it, much less play a console game.

Really don't mind failing the challenge tbh. Its not like I had a huge backlog to begin with. At least it kinda helped me prevent some impulse purchases and unnecessary spending.

Spierek

Week 24:
Games bought - 4
Games finished - 20
Backlog - right here.
Now playing - Rewrite

Nothing new to report, aside from the fact that one of my roommates has been tempting me with a Monaco 4-pack and I turned down that offer. #feelsgood

Katzii

Week 16 Summary: April 21st 2013

MY BACKLOGGERY

Completed games: 1
Games started: 0
New games purchased: 0

Asides from seeing the end credits of Lego City Undercover (nowhere near completed, since there's still so much to explore and collect, but this will be a very slow thing for me), there's not much else to say. I'm in the fourth mansion of Luigi's Mansion and have mainly filled my gaming time otherwise with replays of Skylanders Giants and Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One.

Hoping to start a playthrough of the original Ratchet and Clank next week.

Spierek

Week 28:
Games bought - 5
Games finished - 21
Backlog - right here.
Now playing - Rewrite

Reviving this thread (kind of). Bought Bioshock Infinite with my roommate and finished it this week. Had a lot of fun, totally worth it.

Katzii

Wow, I kinda forgot to post for a month.

I've completed a couple of games here and there (Luigi's Mansion, 999). Still on my Ratchet and Clank playthrough that I mentioned, and also playing Super Mario 64 DS.

I used to buy somewhere around 8 full-price games per year. I've only bought two full-price games in the last one and a half years. Played them both to completion twice (Gears 3, Halo 4).
Borrowed or bought used for the rest.

I actually have money to buy food and clothes now. Feels good man.

kirby_fox

Banned
Been buying games on sale in genres/series I've never played to give them a go recently which has extended my backlog.

I stopped buying on Steam period. My graphics card isn't up to snuff for a lot of them and I'm hoping prices for some cards come down when the PS4/720 are releasing later this year.

Which means I can focus on a handful of games to beat now in series I haven't played before while waiting for other games to go on sale. Just bought Kingdom Hearts DDD for $10 at Best Buy, and too many games coming out later this year for me to join this.

But I also spend months not buying things I was interested in, and then wind up never buying the games. So I have a lot of games I want to go back and buy cheap now to add to my backlog.

jono51

Banned
I'm still hanging in there. The only thing I have purchased since the last post was the CSGO community map pack. Aside from that, I activated a copy of DOTA 2 without really thinking about it, but its f2p so I don't think it really counts. Haven't tried it either, but I want to over the summer. Did the same the other day with the ARMA3 beta-lite pass but... ehhh... that comes under the demo category imo. I activated it more to see how the game will run on my machine. Backlog wise though, the count has gone from 7(?) down to 5. Honestly, I don't really have much desire to play any of them, which I guess is why they were left in the backlog in the first place. Been playing csgo and a replay of GTASA instead :p.

I'm out. Not only do I have Dragon's Crown preordered (not part of my 4 exceptions rule) but Halo 4 is today's Best Buy deal of the day for $18, no way I'm passing up on that. I'm still doing very well in my initiative to clear out the entire backlog, though. With Halo 4 I'm down to 14 left

How have my brothers been doing?

I haven't updated in awhile. Still no purchases. Found out a past roommate bought both Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite so a couple of the big games that I wanted to play I've been able to borrow.

Honestly the not buying retail games thing hasn't been that hard at all. My particular rules were no new games until my 720ish games were sold off to less than 200. I'm still at around 520 remaining from before as I had stuff going on and then laziness but one busy day of listing lots on eBay will finally take care of that. I did allow buying digital games, though, since I'm really just concerned with how many physical games I own and wasn't playing.

The hardest part is that despite being allowed to buy digitally (which honestly I don't do all that much anyhow) I still accepted the rule of no Steam games for an entire year. This has been rough as there's been some I've really wanted to do. And I'm including Indie bundles in this ruling as well since the majority give Steam keys. The current Humble Bundle looks so good! And there's plenty of other cheap Steam games and sales I've wanted to jump on. It'll make the Christmas sale awesome for me, though, as I'll finally have a list of stuff to buy after having already picked up most everything I wanted in the previous years.

So with the borrowed games and the few XBLA and PSN games I've picked up this challenge hasn't been all that difficult. Now I just need to quit being lazy and finish selling off all the games. I did make a little progress and got them all unboxed after moving and began to sort some out into the keeper pile.

I haven't updated in awhile. Still no purchases. Found out a past roommate bought both Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite so a couple of the big games that I wanted to play I've been able to borrow.

Honestly the not buying retail games thing hasn't been that hard at all. My particular rules were no new games until my 720ish games were sold off to less than 200. I'm still at around 520 remaining from before as I had stuff going on and then laziness but one busy day of listing lots on eBay will finally take care of that. I did allow buying digital games, though, since I'm really just concerned with how many physical games I own and wasn't playing.

The hardest part is that despite being allowed to buy digitally (which honestly I don't do all that much anyhow) I still accepted the rule of no Steam games for an entire year. This has been rough as there's been some I've really wanted to do. And I'm including Indie bundles in this ruling as well since the majority give Steam keys. The current Humble Bundle looks so good! And there's plenty of other cheap Steam games and sales I've wanted to jump on. It'll make the Christmas sale awesome for me, though, as I'll finally have a list of stuff to buy after having already picked up most everything I wanted in the previous years.

So with the borrowed games and the few XBLA and PSN games I've picked up this challenge hasn't been all that difficult. Now I just need to quit being lazy and finish selling off all the games. I did make a little progress and got them all unboxed after moving and began to sort some out into the keeper pile.

I will have to agree with this. I wanted to play Bioshock Infinite but I still need to beat Bioshock 2.

The other ones I wanted to play were Hitman and Tomb Raider, which my friend already have them.

The one I think I really want to play but not sure if I should go ahead and make a purchase is The Last Of Us.

Oh well, clear up some more games and I will be good to go with the new generation come November.

Spierek

Alright, after half a year of struggling I'm out; the newest Humble Bundle has been a nail in my coffin. The deal was too good to let it pass . _.

I have been pretty loyal to this so far.

Haven't purchased any games. I started playing games since the last week and I managed to finish Uncharted 2 and Killzone 3. I still need to beat Uncharted 3 to finish my PS3 backlog. Then I will have to purchase The Last Of Us at some point before I move on to the PS4.

As for my 360, I'm working on Bioshock 2 and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

jono51

Banned
I'm out. Picked up Surgeon Sim and FTL, and I'll likely pick up a few more from the steam sale. Thank you card drops. The main reason I'm buying stuff again though is because there was basically nothing left on my steam list that I actually wanted to play. The few "backlog" games left were mostly those that I haven't been able to get into on several tries, so yeah.

Auskeek

Games bought or gifted this year AND finished (or very very close to)

Fire Emblem
Sleeping Dogs
Saints Row 3

Games bought this year and not even close to finishing

Disgaea 3
Skyrim
Max Payne 3
Modern Warfare 3
Pokemon Black
Resident Evil Revelations
Kid Icarus 3DS
Starfox 64

...it has not been a good year for me. And with Final Fantasy X|X-2 and Etrian Odyssey 4 coming out soon, I'm on a downward spiral.

Ledsen

CONGRATS! You're probably the only. I myself have bought a load of games but I can't play them due to RSI problems... so I guess I sort of won? :)

Top Bottom