• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF 1 year challenge: stop buying games*

Spierek

Week 17:
Games bought - 2
Games finished - 15
Backlog - right here.
Now playing - Skyward Sword, Rewrite, NSMBWii

Very little time for games during that week (and the next one will probably be the same). However, I've managed to finish a borrowed copy of Super Mario 3D Land (both Special and standard Worlds as Mario). This game is goddamn awesome, one of the best reasons for owning a 3DS.

Katzii

Week 11 Summary: March 3rd 2013

MY BACKLOGGERY

Completed games: 4
Games started: 4
New games purchased: 0
Total spent on games since 01/12/2012: £18.68

Wow, what haven't I done this week?

I started the original Discworld on Monday, and completed it on Wednesday. I completed New Super Mario Bros U on Thursday, along with the talkie version of Leisure Suit Larry: Shape Up or Slip Out!, and I completed Giana Sisters DS on Friday.

I'm up to 7 Gyms completed in Pokémon Crystal, and got to the start of Chapter 14 in Kid Icarus: Uprising. I also went back to Rayman Origins and, since all three of these games are "slow-burners" to me (i.e. games where I'll only play one level or so), I took up Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, too.

Hoping to make some progress this week since I will need to take my laptop in for repairs.

vall03

Depends. What do you think?

Well, Im not sure tbh. The goal of the challenge is to stop buying games. So that means, getting them for free (as a gift) seems safe since we didn't spend money on it. On the other hand, it fails the Escape Clause since I didn't play or finish it right after getting it. But what I did was just try the game, while waiting for the game I want to play.

If Im out because of it, I don't mind. Just want some clarification if Im still in or not.

Ledsen

Well, Im not sure tbh. The goal of the challenge is to stop buying games. So that means, getting them for free (as a gift) seems safe since we didn't spend money on it. On the other hand, it fails the Escape Clause since I didn't play or finish it right after getting it. But what I did was just try the game, while waiting for the game I want to play.

If Im out because of it, I don't mind. Just want some clarification if Im still in or not.

I'm not the judge, I'm just the thread starter, it's actually up to each individual in cases like this :)

Monochrome_F3ar

Neo Member
The last game I bought was Silent Hill Downpour when it came out here in the US. Since then ive gotten games from others buying them for me, Birthday, Xmas, random gifts,etc.

RpgN

Thought you were my daughter or something for a second.

Huh, how come?

As for the challenge, I almost forgot. It's been a busy period and all. Some games have been cleared but many games were bought on the vita :/

Games gifted:
Aqua Kitty (PSM)
OMG-Zombies! (PSM)

New games bought (oh boy):
Ridge Racer (Vita)
Dokuro (PSN/Vita)
A-men (PSN/Vita)
Touch my Katamari (Vita)
Knytt Underground (PSN/Vita)
Ragnorak Odyssey (Vita)
MGS Collection* (Vita)

Games completed:
Aqua Kitty
OMG-Zombies!
Ridge Racer
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1

Progress:
Dokuro (111/150 puzzles completed)
Ragnorak Odyssey (7 missions cleared from chapter 1)
Metal Gear Solid Collection (Just doing VR missions)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (expert difficulty cleared on series and challenges, did some ultimate songs on challenge mode and started playing Chaos Shrine)
A-men (Pending)
Touch My Katamari (Pending)
Knytt Underground (Pending)

I'll start on A-men, Touch My Katamari and Knytt Underground very soon or when Dokuro is completed.

There was some good sale on vita games and I've been anticipated some games for a while. These games should keep me very busy on the vita but I'm barely managing!

*Already own MGS games on the PS2 and even completed 3 (and 2 with my brother).

Keikaku

Well, I failed this yesterday.

I was at Emerald City Comic Con and I saw a used copy of Mario Tennis for the GBC for $7. It costs at least $25 on Amazon. It was also the only copy of that game I've seen in the wild for at least 8 years.

I bought the fucking game. I'm playing it right now but I've totally blasted through my initial conditions for this challenge. Fuck.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm still trudging through Doom 3 BFG Edition, NFS Most Wanted, and Forza Horizon. I should get back into Binary Domain and Lollipop Chainsaw, get started on Max Payne 3...

Exentryk

Would've done that too if LR and KH 1.5 weren't around the corner.

Yeah, I'll have to break this when KH HD / FFX HD comes out. Still, I'll get about 9-10 months without any new games at least :p

LR doesn't bother me as I'm skipping that one :p

Jawmuncher

I'm jumping onto this.
Just looking back at all the stuff I need to play and I really don't need to buy anything else for awhile. Last thing i'll be getting is Monster Hunter on the WiiU since it's already payed off.

Looking at the year though shouldn't be to hard to do, since I already got the game I absolutely needed for 2013 (MGR:R). The only hiccup might come from Resident Evil Revelations if their's a cool preorder bonus or collectors edition. But since I already beat it on 3DS I wouldn't count it as a backlog title.

Ok enough rambling i'm not buying any games that count towards a backlog starting NOW.

Katzii

I wouldn't say so myself as I assume you're only resubscribig to the game as opposed to buying a brand new game you've never played?

Lombax

Banned
I wouldn't say so myself as I assume you're only resubscribig to the game as opposed to buying a brand new game you've never played?

I think I answered my own question after giving it more thought. In order to play WoW again I would have to buy / upgrade to a copy of MoP thus I have purchased a new game [imho].

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok, just bought three Soul Reaver games. Gonna have to get about beaten them fast before I consider myself a failure.

Dyno

This thread will make the industry hate NeoGAF even more. LOL!

Good luck to all! May you be masters of your domain!

I'll fail but only two or three times. That's how many times I failed all last year.

farisr

I shall be joining in on this. Have a huge backlog, recently started tackling it. Isn't a 1 year challenge for me, it's more like a "get through backlog first before buying another game challenge." That could be less than a year could be more (I'm betting on more, but it entirely depends on how many games will be skipped)

The backlog consists of about 170 ps3/360 games, of which about 10% of the games are ones that I bought myself, the others were given to me by friends and family once they were done with them.

So far my experience is, that I've become real picky about games, if a game doesn't capture me in one way or another within the first hour, it gets skipped (and some of the games I've skipped so far I'm sure are considered to be top 10 games for many of you). Just don't have the patience/time anymore.

Going through the backlog in order of release (or close, sometimes may shift a game or two so I can play a bunch of 360 games together and then a bunch of ps3 games together, only have one console in my room where I'm playing these games at a time).

Shall post regular updates, or rather... updates whenever I finish a game or finish skipping/get to a game that I don't feel like skipping. Will write a paragraph of my impression on games completed, and one or two sentence for games skipped. May eventually post a list of games in the backlog or link to backloggery once I update my account on the site.

Last game finished: Naruto Rise of A Ninja. Was surprised that this game didn't make it into the skip category, a decent game, with variety and lasting a tad longer than it should have (6 hours playtime, after the 4-5 hour mark certain things started feeling tedious). The small scale free roaming was decent, the races were fun, and the coin collecting in free roam could get addictive but I forced myself to stop and get on with the story. Can't comment on the vs/online fights since I didn't try it (and didn't feel like trying). The fighting was decent, but not my cup of tea. Story was pretty disjointed and would probably be a little confusing for people not familiar with the series.

Next game in the backlog: Portal (from The Orange Box)

Katzii

Week 12 Summary: March 10th 2013

MY BACKLOGGERY

Completed games: 1
Games started: 2

With a rare free moment at the family computer, I figured I would update with my summary.

Didn't really make as much progress as one would have hoped this week since I've been mostly out for the count with a pretty severe ear infection (still going on!).

I did, however, FINALLY take it upon myself to complete Rayman Origins, having bought it at launch and gotten bored about 3/4 of the way through in late 2011 (I think I picked it up once or twice during 2012, but that was about it). I unlocked all the levels and beat them, but not taken the time to get all the Electoons on every level. That's for if I ever decide to become more masochistic.

In anticipation of the HD release of Age of Empires II (a game which I may or may not end up getting at launch, it depends), I have taken to dabbling in the original Age of Empires on my 15-year old laptop. Shamefully, even on the easiest setting, this is a game I am finding tough, but it's also a game I find myself rather addicted to. I beat 7/12 tutorial levels and the first main campaign level. This is yet another "backburner" game for me.

I also started the Amiga version of Monkey Island (devastated that I couldn't get the infamous Stump Joke to trigger), and am up to Part 3. I can probably knock this one on the head in the upcoming week, providing I actually take the time to play, and also providing I can actually play the game; unfortunately original Amiga disks don't seem the most reliable thing any more.

Otherwise, it's just been progress through other games, really. I've dabbled a bit in Pokémon Crystal but have to admit that I've only played a couple of times this week, and am working towards the 8th badge. This is my "last game" to play on my list of games I am currently playing though, and my aim is to complete the game (all 16 badges) by the end of this year. Chances are I'll get there way before the end of the year, but that's what I'd like to shoot for.

I am nearing the end of Kid Icarus: Uprising, with probably about two or three chapters to go, and am ecstatic I didn't sell this after not playing it for a year. I still have issues with the controls enough that I can only usually do a level a day (but some parts have been so engrossing, I've found myself doing three levels at once!).

I would say I'm about halfway through Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and hope to continue to progress this week.

My aim is to complete all the main games I'm playing before 28th March, when I will be adding new games to my collection. I probably won't be starting any more games in my current collection after these, but will possibly return to Skylanders Giants for another runthrough.

Spierek

Week 18:
Games bought - 2
Games finished - 15
Backlog - right here.

Even less time than before. I at least managed to complete Super Mario 3D Land (beaten every level as Luigi/Mario with all Tokens and Gold Flags). The final level was worth it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmm I'm at a crossroads.

I really got fed up with Soul Reaver after the billionth box pushing puzzle, so I've decided I'm through with it. Now I really gave it a fair chance, installed all the mods, etc., so it's not like I was "fuck this is old w/e", I genuinely enjoyed the good bits I played.

So here's what I'm making up as a workaround, I'm gonna get me a Let's Play to catch up on the story, etc., and then move along the second game. I'm gonna set myself a deadline for finishing the Let's Play so I don't get caught up on other stuff, which is gonna be one week from tomorrow.

In the meantime I'm gonna be playing Minerva's Den since I finally got around buying that one.

Let's see how the experiment goes, I really like feeling bad about shit and coming up with excuses to not lose lol

Ledsen

Quite a few tempting deals going on right now

- Sim City from Indian Origin store
- Sonic & SEGA Racing All-Stars Transformed for free (with my $14 GMG credit)
- Bioshock Infinite with free XCom for $45

I've managed to skip all of them up to now, but that Bioshock deal is incredibly tempting. I've convinced myself not to support Sim City, and I already own the previous SEGA racing game but never played it.

Hmm I'm at a crossroads.

I really got fed up with Soul Reaver after the billionth box pushing puzzle, so I've decided I'm through with it. Now I really gave it a fair chance, installed all the mods, etc., so it's not like I was "fuck this is old w/e", I genuinely enjoyed the good bits I played.

So here's what I'm making up as a workaround, I'm gonna get me a Let's Play to catch up on the story, etc., and then move along the second game. I'm gonna set myself a deadline for finishing the Let's Play so I don't get caught up on other stuff, which is gonna be one week from tomorrow.

In the meantime I'm gonna be playing Minerva's Den since I finally got around buying that one.

Let's see how the experiment goes, I really like feeling bad about shit and coming up with excuses to not lose lol

Hey man... I know those feels!

tirant

I'm trying to go through my backlog, which is pretty big, even if I don't buy that many games.

I have lots of game that I started, but could never finish. Going back to a game you haven't played in years, takes much more effort than going back to game you left some months ago. But If I only go for recent games, then I would never finish the old ones.

What kind of strategy do you follow to finish your games?

farisr

So going through my backlog still, finished Portal (the orange box version) and loved it. I was thinking maybe Valve games just weren't for me since I didn't like Left 4 Dead or Half-Life but glad I was wrong. Now I can see why all those people were hyped that Portal 2 was going to be on ps3. Definitely looking forward to Portal 2 (which is also in my backlog). But since I'm going through the backlog in release order (sort of), won't get to Portal 2 till I go through 77 games.

Currently playing Spiderman Web Of Shadows. Decent so far, much better than Spiderman 3, I'm a sucker for spiderman games. Could use more variety in the side missions though, that's one aspect where spiderman 3 completely outshines this game in

Next game: God Of War Chains Of Olympus HD (using PSP release date rather than the collection's release date)

The_Monk

What kind of strategy do you follow to finish your games?

I play one game at a time fellow GAFfer. With a mix of another one for Multiplayer purposes.

No pressure, no rush, take your time and have fun. Despite having a Backlog it's still a hobby, right?

To give you an example I was playing Far Cry 3 with also having one online game to play, now that I've finished it I will move to another one. The important is for you to have fun while cleaning your Backlog!

Lombax

Banned
I have failed at the 1 year challenge. Heart of the Swarm was my downfall.
Please update the list.
I shall now enter a shame spiral.

Katzii

Week 13 Summary: March 17th 2013

MY BACKLOGGERY

Completed games: 3
Games started: 2

Much more productive week this week!

Monday saw me finish the final level of Kid Icarus: Uprising; what a phenomenal game. I was actually on the verge of selling this as I bought it over a year ago and never played it. That would have been a crime.

I also finished my Amiga playthrough of The Secret of Monkey Island and I completed Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story yesterday.

Progress has been made on Age of Empires, which I'm tackling one mission a day, and I also did the first two worlds on an N64 playthrough of Banjo-Kazooie (I only beat it on XBLA). I've also been dabbling with the PSN download of Toejam and Earl in Panic on Funkotron.

I feel a bit guilty that Pokémon Crystal has taken a huge back seat, but I will try and get back to this soon.

Spierek

Week 19:
Games bought - 2
Games finished - 15
Backlog - right here.

Still no time for games :| (but at least my backlog isn't expanding!)

isual

I'm bumping this after a 3 month ban, check my last post on page 4 of this thread to see my progress. Definitely did quite a bit of my ps2 backlog !
I did buy Heart of the Swarm, however, as per rules I finished it asap within 1 day. So I'm still in the running.

PS2 GAMES
front mission 5 JP version
magna carta tears of blood
bards tale
grandia 2 FINISHED
grandia 3
grandia xtreme
mana khemia alchemists of al revis
castlevania curse of darkness
wild arms 5 FINISHED
wild arms alter code f FINISHED
street fighter anniversary
full metal alchemist 1
full metal alchemist 2
lotr third age FINISHED
stella deus
steambot chronicles
xmen legends 2
baroque
suikoden tactics
metal saga
mega man command mission x (accidentally deleted my save file; have to restart)
romancing saga
rogue galaxy FINISHED
shadow hearts 1 FINISHED
shining tears
atelier iris 1
atelier iris 2
makai kingdom
disgaea 1
disgaea 2
la pucelle tactics
phantom brave
suikoden 5 FINISHED
SMT Devil summoner raidou kazunoha vs the soulless army
SMT Devil summoner raidou kazunoha vs king abaddon
SMT Persona 3 FES FINISHED
SMT Persona 4 FINISHED

PSP GAMES
valkyria chronicles 2
super robot wars z2 FINISHED
super robot wars a portable
super robot war mx portable
crimson gem saga
hexyz force

PS3 GAMES
mw3 FINISHED
nier
star ocean 4
resonance of fate
white knight chronicles
white knight chronicles 2
ff 13-2
fear 3
disgaea 4
dc online universe (max level 30 ?)
trinity souls of zill o
valkyria chronicles (at the last mission)

XBOX 360 GAMES
front mission evolved FINISHED
risen
cod black ops FINISHED
two worlds 2
divinity 2 dragon knight saga
mass effect 3 extended FINISHED
magic 2013 FINISHED
agarest war
agarest war zero
magna Carta 2
halo 4 FINISHED
cod black ops 2 FINISHED
dragons dogma FINISHED
borderlands GOTY
alpha protocol

PC GAMES
ff11 (On hiatus at the moment, sort of excited for the new expansion)
world of tanks (finally got the jagdpanther, i want the king tiger now) - 3 months later, I still want that King Tiger
battlefield 3 FINISHED playing endgame DLC now
diablo 3 FINISHED Inferno and Barb paragon 14
TERA (level 43)
borderlands 1
trine 1
trine 2
ys origins
witcher 1
Heart of the Swarm FINISHED

DS GAMES
pokemon heartgold
dragon quest 5
ff3
smt strange journey

PS ONE GAMES
ff chronicles (specifically 4) stuck at the boss after the magus sisters in the tower where you rescue the girl .

books i'm reading

war40k Nemesis FINISHED
war40k ciaphas cain omnibus hero of the imperium
war40k fear to tread
war40k ravenor omnibus
Glen Cook's Black company omnibus soldiers live
Glen Cook's Black company omnibus
War
Liar's Poker
Guns, Germs and Steel

zkylon

zkylewd
sorry to disappoint but...

ibhmoX2fcIaipa.gif

buying the legacy of kain pack was a mistake I shouldn't been smarter not to make. Bought a bunch of indie games I actually want to play since and been enjoying them, but even though I did my watch a let's play and whatnot I really can't bring myself to go through Soul Reaver 2 right now, specially with Bio Infinite incoming.

farisr

So backlog update, went through 3 games.

Spiderman Web Of Shadows
God of War Chains Of Olympus HD
Braid

Now, as for Spiderman Web Of Shadows, I mentioned I was enjoying it, it was turning out to be a solid 8/10 for me, aside from some voice acting (especially in the beginning) seemed like a solid package, but then one moment instantly dropped the game down to 4/10 for me. A game breaking glitch that basically prevents me from finishing the game happened and could not be resolved. Was on my first mission of the last act too. So yeah, unfortunately, not a good game in the end due to not being able to finish it.

God of War Chains Of Olympus HD. Standard God of War fare here (love the games), never played this before since I never owned a handheld and don't intend to own one either unless I get it for free somehow. A particular move was a little too spammable/invincible in the game, liked the level design though (as usual with the God of War games). Only GoW games left unplayed are Ghost Of Sparta HD (which is in my backlog) and Ascension (which will be bought once my entire backlog is finished).

Braid - Good game, didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but I did like the originality in it in terms of the mechanics. Finished it in one sitting.

Next few games in the backlog:

Wipeout HD (will probably skip it after the first hour, tried a bit before and seemed way too fast for my liking)

LittleBigPlanet (finished about half of it before, but gave the physical copy away to someone, managed to get a digital version from the welcome back package, will probably like it)

Crash Commando (have no idea what to expect here)

Spierek

Week 20:
Games bought - 2
Games finished - 16
Backlog - right here.

Uhh. Managed to finish Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime while commuting, not much else gaming done. This marks the third-or-so week of really sparse gaming, which makes me sad. Fortunately there's a break coming next week, so I will have time for completing some titles (finally).

Katzii

Week 14 Summary: March 24th 2013

MY BACKLOGGERY

Completed games: 2
Games started: 1

Mostly a progress week this week, although I have completed some games! Both are ones I've completed before on other systems, but it's all progress.

I finally did a complete runthrough of Banjo-Kazooie on the N64. I've beaten this game before, on XBLA, but since that saves the note counts, I didn't count it as a "true" completion. Doing this on the proper console was an accomplishment!

I also completely completed Wario Ware, Inc.: Minigame Mania on 3DS; I've beaten this before, on GBA, as well as getting all the medals, but I went one step further and beat all the high scores on the unlockables, too. I've been chipping away at this for a while, but it's still probably my favourite Wario Ware game.

This evening, I started Wario Land 3, which I downloaded on 3DS... Not sure what to think of this one. It's (yet another) slow burner as I am playing it through in tandem with a friend. I've also been ploughing through Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One with another friend.

I've made a lot of progress on Age of Empires, although I have not played for a few days; I'm on the last mission of the second campaign. Toejam and Earl in Panic on Funkotron, I am about halfway through. Pokémon Crystal has still not been touched, but eventually I will get back to it!

I'm pleased to be where I am, whereby all of the games I'm currently playing are "slow-burners" by my definition (i.e. I am happy to play one or two levels and then leave it be for the day). Thursday is going to be my "big spend" day where I get TWO new games I will be playing side-by-side, but thankfully the money for both has come from gift-cards, trade-ins and profit made from eBay sales. So I'm still not putting myself too much out of pocket.

Wok

I should sign in the challenge for next year. I usually keep track of games I finish but I highly underestimate the number of games and bundles I buy. So far, I have finished 10 games in 2013, which looks okay... yet I have bought 13 games and 6 bundles.

Games:
  1. 4 Elements (finished)
  2. 7 Grand Steps
  3. Anodyne
  4. Antichamber (finished)
  5. Bastion
  6. Brütal Legend
  7. Cognition: Episode 1
  8. Kentucky Route Zero (finished the first act, which does not count towards the total number of finished games)
  9. Love+ (finished)
  10. Starseed Pilgrim
  11. The Cave (finished)
  12. The Oil Blue
  13. Trine 2 Goblin Menace DLC

Bundles:
  1. LA Game Space
  2. Humble Bundle Mojam 2
  3. Humble Bundle with Android 5
  4. Build a Greenlight Bundle
  5. Kiss Groupee
  6. Be Mine Anniversary

mshlive

Escape clause time for me. Purchased my first game of the year last week, God of War Ascension and I got the Platinum for it today so not bad going. I also bought Gears of War Judgement yesterday so I've got to try and clear that off my backlog now too.

Top Bottom