• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF 2019 Halloween Games Thread

Kazza

I'm not sure if this has ever been done before on GAF, but I like to play horror/spooky games around Halloween time and thought it might be fun if everyone could share their experiences and recommendations. So let's all rise up together and get into the Halloween mood!

original.gif

Kazza

Ok, I'll go first with a game I discovered only recently. It's a Super Famicom Japanese only title called Ghost Sweeper Mikami Joreishi wa Nice Body. It's based on a manga where you play a female who runs her own poltergeist hunting agency (kind of like a Japanese Ghostbusters). You can get a feel for the setting by watching the anime opening:

It's an action platformer made by the same people who brought us Ninja Warriors, so the gameplay is solid, if unoriginal. What sets it apart is the setting. The levels are set on spooky trains and deserted night time streets, and you get to fight a variety of ghoulish enemies, including zombies who get sliced in half and giant creepy dolls:

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

To top it off, you get Shinobi 3 style auto-scroll levels, but instead of riding a horse or a jet surf board you get to ride a giant cat!

giphy.gif

The game isn't particularly difficult, so you should be able to complete it in a two or three hour evening session. Here is SNES Drunk's review, for those interested:

Oh, and the main character does appear to have a nice body, although I'm not sure why they felt the need to emphasise that fact in the title :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Kazza

I have the Megadrive Mini, so plan to play Ghouls & Ghosts and Castlevania Bloodlines over the next week (the later for the first time ever).

To add to the mood of the thread, you can play this soundtrack in the background (the track I bookmarked here really gives me the chills):

I played Eternal Darkness for the first time a couple of years back and can confirm that it's still a very good game, worthy of playing over Halloween.

Last edited:
Friendly yearly Halloween reminder that if you have yet to play one of the best, if not the best horror game in the past years then please do:

It'll probably go on sale when the Steam Halloween event launches. Also, I would highly recommend watching the first movie before playing just so you can appreciate the attention to details the devs put into the game in comparison with the movie. Even the sounds effects are from the first movie.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My wife and I usually play through Until Dawn every year around Halloween. The game is a bit on the silly side but it fills the niche well enough and is (apparently) fun to watch and scream decisions at me while playing.

iu

If you're really not into spooky things but still want to get in the spirit of Halloween, Costume Quest would be my recommendation. The sequel is also quite good. It's a turn-based RPG that's set in anytown USA where the kid's costumes turn them into powerful fighters (in their imagination) on the quest to collect candy. Also, apparently, now a TV show on Amazon.

iu

Kazza

Friendly yearly Halloween reminder that if you have yet to play one of the best, if not the best horror game in the past years then please do:

It'll probably go on sale when the Steam Halloween event launches. Also, I would highly recommend watching the first movie before playing just so you can appreciate the attention to details the devs put into the game in comparison with the movie. Even the sounds effects are from the first movie.

Has anyone here ever played this in VR? I heard that it's a real shit yourself level of scary.

While not the scariest, I did fire up Resident Evil Revelations in the spirit of Halloween. Pretty good so far.

Whenever I think of Halloween and horror games, the team Silent SH titles are always the first place my mind goes. They're pretty much in a class of their own for me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My wife and I usually play through Until Dawn every year around Halloween. The game is a bit on the silly side but it fills the niche well enough and is (apparently) fun to watch and scream decisions at me while playing.

iu

If you're really not into spooky things but still want to get in the spirit of Halloween, Costume Quest would be my recommendation. The sequel is also quite good. It's a turn-based RPG that's set in anytown USA where the kid's costumes turn them into powerful fighters (in their imagination) on the quest to collect candy. Also, apparently, now a TV show on Amazon.

iu

I have had Until Dawn for years, both physical and digital, and I still have yet to complete it (or get that far really). I should definitely get on that this week going into Halloween.

Kazza

Just had my first try at Castlevania Bloodlines. It's significantly harder than Super Castlevania 4, but easier than X. I died some way before the end, so need to practice more. Great game though- I love the music and the gore.

Rodolink

My favorite time of the year 😍 maybe I'll start Deadly Premonition once and for all, been delaying it on my backlog for so long.

GV82

Here’s a Halloween Freebie for you.

ZrWUDb6.jpg

06Jdr0l.jpg

cNihkb4.jpg

EdYxeeB.png

Hitman 2 got the new Halloween pack the other day and it’s a Full Level Halloween themed, even if you haven’t bought Hitman 2 and just have the free starter pack they gave out, this dlc is for that level & unlike previous themed season packs for hitman, this one is staying permanently year round once you download it.

Well even if you don’t want to bother with the rest of the Hitman game you can’t go wrong with this for free. (The full game is great actually)

Kazza

I haven't even started on Ghouls and Ghosts yet, still having too much trouble with Castlevania. I've only gotten so far as the munitions factory level so far. I can do fine for a while, and then lose several lives in quick succession to a single section or boss.

alife

Replayed Alien: Isolation. Story, graphics/art design, sound design, overall brooding atmosphere, loyalty to the source material... check.
ToLA4Qi.gif

2aRaXzl.gif

Teleporting Xenomorph ain't got shit on me (My only gripe with the game. Oh, and fuck the Working Joes).

Top Bottom