• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Open Handheld Thread

Bullet Club

It looks great but is pricey.

Bullet Club

Ltgj4Uq.png

Bullet Club

The Retroid Pocket 2 is finally here with some of the most-requested changes and updates. With extra buttons, beefed up specs, and better ports, how does the Retroid Pocket 2 stack up to the original? In this video, I showcase some of the new things that this device can do well, along with giving the first developer interview from a lead engineer at Retroid.

Currently on presale: https://bit.ly/2BYtkEf (non-affiliate)
It looks decent. US$80 + shipping.

Bullet Club

In this video, we take look at the all-new Retroid Pocket 2 and I’m very impressed so far!
Powered by a quad-core 1.5GHZ 1GB of Ram and all the buttons you need for retro emulation!
The 3.5” IPS screen is beautiful and I personally love the layout and form factor.
It's able to play SNES, NES, GBA, N64, PS1 and it even handles DS and some Dreamcast and PSP games really well. Oh and by the way it runs Android and has the google play store installed!

Bullet Club

There's a new contender for the best small form factor emulation handheld and it comes with Famicom colors!

In today’s video we will be testing the new Beta version of Batocera specifically made for the RG351P it’s good thing as there is not much out there for it at the moment Emuelec was ok but I do like Batocera...so let’s see how good the emulation is, I will be doing another video on a few emulators that did not work...but should be a easy fix.

Bullet Club

Here's a new Chinese handheld with a Ryzen 4500U in it.

AYA is currently available for a limited time at a special price in China, with each machine having its own unique code. To prevent scalpers from raising the price, shipping overseas is not supported at this time. For overseas users, we may take a crowdfunding sale on IGG, so stay tuned! We'll be here soon!

The 512GB version is $600 and the 1TB version is $680.

Bullet Club

It is highly probable that the SN30 will be powered by an AllWinner A33 (aka R16). The prototype units have been built with this CPU already, and it’s the same chip found in the NES Classic. The A33 is an efficient ARM Cortex-A7 chip from 2014 with four 1.2Ghz cores and a Mali400 MP2 GPU. Whilst this chip is leaps and bounds faster than the JZ4770 found in the RG350 and its kin, I believe it doesn’t perform quite as well as the RK3326 in handhelds such as the RG351P. The SN30 is currently configured with 512MB of RAM.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

So annoying youtubers that should be in the know get basic shit wrong. How am I to trust the rest of what they say then?

Like the second vid when he flips through the available emus and skips saying Final Burn Alpha, then corrects saying Final Burn Neo Geo so it's Neo Geo stuff. No, it's Final Burn Neo, the active fork of FBA that was left behind, and emulates lots of systems as FBA, not just Neo Geo! /rant

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Just a quick heads up video, The ODROID Go Super was just announced and it's coming soon!
This new version has a 5 Inch Screen with a resolution of 854x480, Dual ANolog STicks, and a 4000Mah battery! priced at $80 and coming at the end of January 2021 Powered by the RK3326 with a Mali G31 GPU and backed by 1GB of ram this might be the emulation handheld to look out for!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My friend bought me a Retroid to mess around with, and he got himself one of the Anbernics (and his own copy of the Retroid). Back in the day, he and I hacked PSPs and fiddled with emulation. Kind of a blast from the past to set these up with emulators and laugh about how much easier things are now.

I like both. The biggest pain (still) is that there's a lot of time spent setting up proper emulation, which includes fine-tuning the display settings and the controls. Retroarch is kinda nice in this regard since it brings all the emu cores under one roof. Oh well. That has nothing to do with the Retroid or the Anbernic themselves, but these companies could really do a better job of trimming out the crap and perhaps even laying their own quickie UI over the system. The end goal would be to power it on and play a game with minimal menu navigation and fiddling.

Bullet Club

In this video, we take alook at the all-new ODROID GO SUPER! With a 5 Inch IPS Screen Dual, analog sticks, and a quad COre 1.3GHZ CPU this handheld is could turn out to be amazing in 2021!
We do an unboxing, Go over the Specs test out some Dreamcast Neogeo and PSP, and finally do a tear down to see what's inside!
This new version has a 5 Inch Screen with a resolution of 854x480, Dual Analog Sticks, and a 4000Mah battery! priced at $80 and coming at the end of January 2021 Powered by the RK3326 with a Mali G31 GPU

CamHostage

Prototype version of the 'future' of open Android handhelds...

We're about to cross over into the next generation of Android chipsets in these portable game machines. The RockChip RK3326 was a great chipset for cheap access to games up through PS1 / some N64 / some Dreamcast+PSP, and was plugged in to power a ton of devices (RGB10, Odroid Advance/Super, Retroid Pocket 2, etc.) Now apparently companies are about to reach into a more current line of ARM Cortex chips. (Taki doesn't mention which model is the chipset but does say, "We are about to enter a Cortex A7x generation") for the next tier of these types of devices.

The "199" prototype is planned to sell for $199, so it's $100 more than most of the RK3326 devices, but it's still way under the price of the PC portable devices (like the Aya Neo) that are also entering the market (and of course there are expensive phones that probably will crush this,) so it's kind of the "Odroid Pro" tier of being better than the base-level portables without totally breaking the bank or toasting your hands.

Specs, screen resolution, and other stats are not mentioned in this video (also release date is just "soon", pre-orders may be up in the next few weeks), but you can see performance from a demo of the Android version of Genshin Impact playing on it at the highest settings. For comparison's sake, a Galaxy S20 apparently doesn't run Genshin at max settings @60 easily; Taki also says it should be able to run Gamecube and Wii at full speed.

(*And, it has back buttons!)

Last edited:

CamHostage

On a different end of the spectrum (Indiegogo price is $819, so it's a <>$900 product), The One Xplayer is a PC portable device designed around iRIS XE, so Intel Core i7-1185G7 / iRIS Xe Graphics 96EU, with an 8.4" IPS 2560x1600 258ppi screen. Not a lot more info, other than that it has analog triggers, a kickstand, and looks enormous in somebody's hands.

WpEFca6.jpg

Last edited:

CamHostage

Follow up on the "Project 199", finally...

Project Valhalla is finally about to take mobile chipset gaming devices into the "Cortex A7x generation", meaning current Android games like Genshin Impact, CoD Mobile, and Night Agent (shown in the video) play as they would on a high-end phone, plus as more powerful gaming platforms can be emulated (PSP and Dreamcast sort of worked on the common RockChip RK3326 found in most devices out there, but they should be solid now, and GC/Wii are in the range.)

Taki did not detail out the specs still, but it's a Snapdragon Processor on Android 10, has a Button Mapper to translate on-screen buttons to game controls (but more importantly it also supports native button inputs,) has USB and HDMI (for video-out display), there are analog triggers, it has back buttons (yay), size is close to Nintendo Switch Lite with a slightly bigger screen, and it will go on Kickstarter when its launches for $199.

(BTW, it's kind of a trolly video, mostly about backgrounds and button mapping. It sounds like Taki is very limited in what he's allowed to say right now, but at least you can see in the videos that games run under much more powerful than the typical portable gaming devices on the market, outside of the mega-powerful/super-expensive PC-based handhelds.)

Last edited:

CamHostage

Personally, I don't know if I'd recommend this? It's the same general chipset as all the other Odroid/Ambernic/knockoff portables, meaning most games that could use that nice wide screen (PSP games, mostly) actually don't have the power to run well on it, and then the machines it does emulate well are all 4:3, so you'll be looking at borders anyway. You're buying a big screen and then getting small-screen entertainment out of it.

Going off that review, the screen itself is attractive (supposedly among the best quality of the current devices and a challenger to Switch Lite,) and the price of Odroid Go Super is still crazy-cheap, so there is that. If you like stretched games or like the picture quality or the weight-feel of a widescreen device, get the Super. Just know that it's just a bigger screen, it did not get the hardware boost to match.

But we're almost there as far as better choices. I'd recommend either waiting for the next-generation chipsets like Project Valhalla (I'm sure a lot of similar devices will trickle out in due time,) splurge on a PC portable (maybe we'll hear about the Steam Pal some time soon?), or buy the right device for the games this chipset can play and go with one of the really nice Game Boy-shaped or GBA-shaped devices that are closer to 4:3 than 16:9. These devices are generally comfortable to play, they still have large and attractive screens, have a fair amount of power for what they're targeting, they have good communities behind them making attractive launchers and emulator core improvements, and they are inexpensive. You could have a nice no-borders game player for 8/16/32-bit games and still be able to afford a strong widescreen portable when the better chipsets start powering them.

(Maybe we'll even see a Odroid Super-Pro in the near future that uses the Project Valhalla chip generation, then you'll really have something...)

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
This one looks pretty good. A bit cheaper than the Steam Deck if you just want emulation up to PSP level.

cieQWgD.png

efqoPyc.png

Should be noted that Lite is now a Dimension D900, which has made people a bit weary for changing up so late.

But Snapdragon 845, albeit an older SoC, is still quite snazzy. 60 FPS gaming on CoD Mobile. Ironically the Lite uses more modern CPU cores and has a more recent Android version.

And with the dock it also becomes a interesting console hybrid.

CamHostage

Looks like Dreamcast runs alright on it, which is nice.

Dreamcast does okay on a lot of these devices, for the most part. If you plan to play DC and PSP at full speed (and don't want to get into the $400+ range of Steam Deck and Aya Neo), probably wait for the next-gen handheld clones, which should start turning out this holiday season. These have the more advanced processors seen in current-gen cellphones, and are really the level of power you'll want if you're planning on playing widescreen games (although basically, that just means PSP, GC/Wii, and Android native/port games plus streaming games from your PC; DC doesn't have much that's 16:9 and does it anamorphic anyway, and PS2 emulation is still pretty bad on Android, Xbox 1 is nonexistent.) As talked about above in this thread, the next generation of portable emulators are just around the corner...

Here's the leading example of the next-gen portables coming soon (known companies like Anbernic and Powkitty Retroid also have their own next-gen chipset devices in the works:)

So, that's to come, however, now is a great time to get an open handheld if you can settle for pre-PSP/DS games of the 4:3 or close variety, as there are some fantastic shapes of portables and prices can get crazy low.) There are devices shaped like a GBA, devices with a clamshell like DS, devices like a long Game Boy but with the full power to emulate through PS1, tiny devices, devices that are just big, beautiful 4:3 screens and some buttons... You may actually want to get a cheap, lower-spec device for just 8/16-bit games (and PS1 would fit in there since it's the same screensize and runs great with scaling/rendering enhancements on a lot of these devices) and enjoy the ergonomics and screen quality and nice fit for old games, then then think about what you need for bigger games and streaming and more serious portable play. If you're anything like me, your cheap tosser device might actually get more play than your more serious HD portable.

Some links of examples (there are youtubers like Retro Game Corps and ETA Prime who also cover all these devices.)

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I have the RG300X. Looks really cool and the built quality is nice, but the face buttons aren't the best, including the D-Pad. Seems to be an Anbernic signature which I am not fond of. There is a Raspberry Pi variant of the same GBA Micro shell with buttons that resemble the actual GBA Micro buttons, but it's priced a bit higher. Might be worth it though.

CamHostage

For those who already have a Retroid Pocket 2, the company is doing something interesting where they offer an upgrade board to replace the chipset while keeping the screen and controls. (Retroid will also be offering a Pocket 2+ as a new device.) This is kind of a weird upgrade, considering even more powerful chips are coming out (it's supposed to be a cheap upgrade, but it doesn't bring it up to speed with the Odin or Retroid's own upcoming Pocket 3,) but it looks like it's not too bad of an operation if you know electronics and it looks like it'll allow full-speed performance with Dreamcast and some Gamecube.

Bullet Club

Although this handheld seems like it is OK it sounds like it might be better to wait and see how some of the other upcoming releases are.

Bullet Club

The RGB10 Max 2 is the latest handheld from PowKiddy and it is a redesign of their original device from earlier this year. In this review, we take a look at the controls, build quality, screen, and software of the RGB10 Max 2.

Top Bottom