• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NES Classic Edition Controller Cord Seems Exceedingly Short

There's no way I could use that controller without having to sit on the floor on my room. I guess that's what they were going for? :(

It really seems to be they were going for the type of family home where the tv stand isn't so high and the layout of the room was such that you could play this over a lowrise table.

Also I wonder how this will affect all the people who just wanted to buy it as a display piece. But whatever, I'll buy an extension cord.

AdanVC

Nintendo gonna Nintendo ™

Sigh. Not a deal breaker to me since my room is crazy small and I always sit very close to the TV when I game but yeah. Such a bummer it is thaaaat short.

Yeah that length isn't going to work for my at home setup, and i imagine most others.

Either need to use a really long hdmi and have the console sit on the coffee table or going to have to buy some of these:

6b8c2bcaca8c5d7d4d2dab7d.jpg

literally the second post on the thread. cheap af and will solve the issue.

unless for whatever reason it's not compatible, but I don't see why it wouldn't be

C-Sword

I'm pretty sure a company like 8bitdo will come up with some sort of wireless receiver for their controllers to be used with the Mini. Not defending Nintendo though, having to spend extra money sucks.

5taquitos

Is this supposed to sit on my desk and use my computer monitor?

Legitimate question, is that the intended purpose of this? It seems incredibly impractical for virtually any TV setup.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Legitimate question, is that the intended purpose of this? It seems incredibly impractical for virtually any TV setup.

Nintendo thinks people have 13" TVs now and it's supposed to sit on the floor.

br3wnor

Yeah that length isn't going to work for my at home setup, and i imagine most others.

Either need to use a really long hdmi and have the console sit on the coffee table or going to have to buy some of these:

What type connection cord is this? Will definitely have to get a couple of these.

Seems like the whole purpose is for it to be mini. That said it does seem to conform more to Asian household rooms like mine, where the HDTVs aren't inherently large and they're fairly close to the floor because we normally sit down to watch TV.

Also the extension cord is wiimote. So it plugs with those connectors.

The system is designed to sit right in front of you. There is crucial buttons on the system itself (go to menu, etc.).

You had to touch the original NES to change games as well and it still didn't have 3 ft garbage cords. So why do we have to put up with them now?

RibMan

Honest question, how much would it have cost them to double the length of the cord?

Pennies if they have leverage over the suppliers, nickels if they don't.

I wonder why they went so short. Perhaps there's a connectivity problem that occurs at longer lengths?

Cday

Banned
How would you plug in the power cord?

Just wire your entire house around this device because they couldn't add 3 more feet of wire to their knockoff NES controller. It's totally worth the trouble for this dumb emulation thing.

literally the second post on the thread. cheap af and will solve the issue.

unless for whatever reason it's not compatible, but I don't see why it wouldn't be

Yeah except these are nearly impossible to find anywhere. There's only one decent looking one but it's not out for another four weeks. There's a second one with poor reviews and it's only 3 feet long. That's about all that's out there right now.

Still fucking stupid to have to buy an extension cable that is almost 20% of the price of the thing you are buying it for.

3ft cable? Are you kidding me? Really seriously thinking about cancelling my preorder over this.

I mean if that's all it takes to cancel a preorder that's a pretty skewed priority imo.

amnesiac

What a terrible decision. You shouldn't have to buy an extension cable just to use a controller in the average living room.

I really hope they release an official wireless NES controller for this in the future. Making the cord this short in order to ensure convenient Wii remote functionality for Wii/Wii U VC is incredibly short sighted. What a stupid move.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Look at the competition in plug-and-play consoles. Short cords AND they're wired in.

I know people on GAF will like to put this in their home theatres, and want a long cord, but that's an edge case. Most people will have this thing sitting on the floor plugged into a side port of their TV on Christmas morning, and then it's going to go in a drawer somewhere.

The Llama

Guess I need to get a really long HDMI cable (and a longer power cable?) and stick this thing on my coffee table when I want to use it...

PSFan

I really hope they release an official wireless NES controller for this in the future. Making the cord this short in order to ensure convenient Wii remote functionality for Wii/Wii U VC is incredibly short sighted. What a stupid move.

This is a plug and play, one and done product for Nintendo. You're really naive if you expect Nintendo to make add-ons or expansions for this.

br3wnor

Look at the competition in plug-and-play consoles. Short cords AND they're wired in.

I know people on GAF will like to put this in their home theatres, and want a long cord, but that's an edge case. Most people will have this thing sitting on the floor plugged into a side port of their TV on Christmas morning, and then it's going to go in a drawer somewhere.

That's actually a pretty valid point. This thing will be a great gift but one that the average person probably doesn't put more than a few days playtime into. Maybe the saved enough w/ the short cords to make it financially worth the backlash.

Phoenixus

I guess they're keeping in form with the short cables of the famicom mini? (since longer cables wouldn't work with that design) Still sucky, but the hdmi extension I just ordered will work with my setup at least. Hopefully there's a super cheap controller extension cable available soon for everyone.

Here's an unofficial wireless NES controller that releases November 30th for $15. Same company as the extension cable I linked to a few posts ago.

[Warning: It's hideous and probably garbage]

Heck, if impressions are solid, I'll buy it. But yes, that is quite ugly lol

This is a plug and play, one and done product for Nintendo. You're really naive if you expect Nintendo to make add-ons or expansions for this.

If it's a huge success, I could absolutely see Nintendo releasing a wireless controller in the future.

I never said anything about expansions.

That's actually a pretty valid point. This thing will be a great gift but one that the average person probably doesn't put more than a few days playtime into. Maybe the saved enough w/ the short cords to make it financially worth the backlash.

There's also the fact that a lot of people on GAF would've bought it for the novelty anyways and wouldn't play it on their TV, much less on a monitor (which seems most optimal for this).

Matticers

Fucking typical Nintendo. They have a nice idea for something that is really cool and then they find a way to screw it up somehow.

I wanted to get one of these as a gift for someone but I don't think I can since I can't picture it working at all with the way their TV is set up. Hell, even for my setup a 3 foot cord is a huge pain in the ass. Who makes these decisions there? Seriously.

Fucking typical Nintendo. They have a nice idea for something that is really cool and then they find a way to screw it up somehow.

I wanted to get one of these as a gift for someone but I don't think I can since I can't picture it working at all with the way their TV is set up. Hell, even for my setup a 3 foot cord is a huge pain in the ass. Who makes these decisions there? Seriously.

Probably Japan, where this sort of cord set up is more fitting for the general set up of an asian living space.

ktroopa

I ordered these the same day i preordered the mini. 100% knew nintendo wud fuck up on the length. Fact

mackattk

I mean if that's all it takes to cancel a preorder that's a pretty skewed priority imo.

Shit, people were returning their Wii U's due to poor range on the gamepad... How is this any different? Sure I could spend more money on an extension cord, but having a 2'-6" cord is a slap in the face. Super short sighted idea from Nintendo and I can bet you there will be a LOT of these NES CE being returned. Nobody wants to pull up a chair from the dining room and set a 1-2 feet away from their tv when they have a nice comfortable couch a couple feet behind them.

Top Bottom