• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NES Classic Edition Controller Cord Seems Exceedingly Short

Yeah, that's a deal breaker for me if that's not a preproduction thing, especially if they don't even make a cheap extension cable.

I've got house rabbits, so wired controllers are already a bit tricky, but I 100% can't have power cables out in the open where they could chew them.

bman94

I'm not worried at all. Remember the Smash Bros. GameCube controller had a much longer cord so I don't think they'll skimp us on the cord length.

Roo

Not really a deal breaker for me as I have a long HDMI cord sitting around unused but I do really hope it is only a prototype/display thing and not the final product.

Piccoro

6b8c2bcaca8c5d7d4d2dab7d.jpg

Problem solved?

I was planning on using mine with my PC monitor where I do all my PC gaming anyway. Up close. So it's not a problem for me.

I can see why the short length would be bothersome in other situations though.

Chance these controllers are wireless and this short cord is used for charging based on a potentially official tweet.

https://twitter.com/nintendomini/sta...85912670474240

https://twitter.com/NintendoMini/status/756385912670474240

I would expect a second controller to cost more than $10 if it was rechargeable and wireless, and the photos don't show any way to detach the cord from the controller side - Nintendo's not going to make a wireless controller with a multi-foot tail hanging off it, and you'd think for sure the wireless aspect would have been demonstrated somewhere already. Smells like BS.

Opa-Pa

And they seem really proud showing it off next to the original lol.

Oh well, pro controller U it is. So much for that retro feeling.

ScOULaris

Nintendo continues to baffle me at every turn. There is zero justification for this. Nobody is going to be sitting 3 ft. away from their large flat-panel television to play NES games. Nobody.

Isn't it short because you'll be needing to hit the button on the console to make save states and things?

Yes that makes for an absurdly long HDMI but I don't think it's a big mystery or oversight.

cyba89

Well. Will probably only play it on my monitor then. Because that doesn't make sense with my TV setup at all.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Absolutely ludicrous. Infuriating, even. Are they expecting people to just play on their computer monitor? I honestly can't figure out their reasoning here. It's a slap in the face to consumers.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The only way this would be somewhat okay is that if it was self powered via battery. I'd say the average TV size these days is >40+" and sitting 3ft away from it is not feasible.

Algebrah

Damn, that's nearly a deal breaker for me. I may get it for collecting/displaying but there is no way that is going to with anything in my apartment.

I guess they're prioritizing working folks who are going to plug this into the back of their monitor at work and/or PC-oriented folks who will only use this at their desk?

Probably because of the wiimote functionality, they didn't want to make the cord longer than a nunchuck's.

At least now they'll sell more extenders.

PSqueak

Banned
I guess their idea was to have this hooked to laptops with HDMI sockets.

Ironically the way i have my tv and pc set, this makes it ideal for me to play nes while im on my [non hdmi compatible] PC.

PR_rambo

Banned
I'll buy a longer HDMI I guess, though it looks like I'll need an extension cord as well. Fuck you Ninty. It's 2016.

Wow. That is really short.

Won't be an issue for me, thanksfully... Plan on plugging this thing into a monitor on a desk in my bedroom,, but I can see this being a problem for most.

Gutek

The system is designed to sit right in front of you. There is crucial buttons on the system itself (go to menu, etc.).

The system is designed to sit right in front of you. There is crucial buttons on the system itself (go to menu, etc.).

Seems like a silly design oversight. Why not just add a home button to the controllers for menu stuff, like existing Wii Classic Controllers already have?

inner-G

Banned
I'm sticking with my homebrew Wii.

This is an abomination. I really wanted one of these.

You need to be able to hit reset, so you almost need a long HDMI with it sitting on your coffee table. Then you'd also need a long USB cord or extender cable for power. It's just not worth it.

Top Bottom