• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I found the tutorial lacking. Haven't had a chance to sit down with the rules.

Grrr I hate it when iOS games do this. imo added value of video gaming is the ability for fantastic tutorials and yet almost no one takes advantage.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'd pay a premium for dominion air cushioned cards.

cards are hella expensive.

In fact, Roller Coaster Rush costs about as much to print as another game I'm getting quotes on that doesn't have cards.. just wooden bits and a board.

Yet the second game "feels" much more expensive. It's weird.

Heel

Well, I just dove in and bought Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne for iPad. I'm new to iOS and board gaming, so feel free to add me and kick my ass! Nickname is [Slade].

I've played two online games of Ticket to Ride so far. Fun stuff. The first game I got my ass handed to me, second game I lost by one point because I got greedy and came one card short on my last route, hah!

besada

Banned
My CSI order came in. Now you must all come to my house and play with me!

Seeing Santiago de Cuba in real life, after playing on Yucata was a thrill. And Power Grid looks great.

octobot

I'm talking about the old one. The new one would have to be pretty spectacular.

I recently bought Titan (took advantage of the sale)

i think the tutorial is pretty helpfull, its a video you can see here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwgdFUcdVgI

enjoying the game alot so far.

Also i believe mustering is related to what units you have (numbers of particular units) and what terrain you are on. there is a 'beasts' button to the bottom right i think that shows the chart.

Xater

Guys I just was on the FFG website to look at Descent Second Edition and noticed that they have the playtime there for 1-2 hours. Is that just a placeholder? I guess some Descent players would not like that, but to me such a playtime sounds very appealing for a game like this.

Guys I just was on the FFG website to look at Descent Second Edition and noticed that they have the playtime there for 1-2 hours. Is that just a placeholder? I guess some Descent players would not like that, but to me such a playtime sounds very appealing for a game like this.

I know that's 1 of the things 2nd edition was meant to address; the long ass playing time. I'm willing to bet there's different scenarios or rules which change how long the game runs.

StoOgE

Oh wow, damn Stooge! Same bits and all or are you changing anything?

Same bits. I'll be swapping out the purple ward bosses for natural wood since they are hard to tell from the brown.

I'm also going to have some upgrades as kickstarter exclusives. Distressed flag stickers for the influence markers. Maybe replace the ward bosses with stove pipe hat/ boller hat meeples if I can get a good quote.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Trying out a practice run with Power Grid: The Robots.
BGG is down.
So many questions.

Yeah BGG has been down forever. I know that feeling too of just wanting an important answer ASAP. This is why I started downloading and putting game materials on Dropbox.

Same bits. I'll be swapping out the purple ward bosses for natural wood since they are hard to tell from the brown.

I'm also going to have some upgrades as kickstarter exclusives. Distressed flag stickers for the influence markers. Maybe replace the ward bosses with stove pipe hat/ boller hat meeples if I can get a good quote.

Congrats man. I know people will absolutely flip when they hear the news. And yeah I'd totally be interested in a way to get the new meeples.

Got to pull out Thunderstone Advance tonight. Not really much different at all. Most of the changes really are just cosmetic aspects to the game to make it easier on players *shrug*. The only really major change that we found that had any impact was the new prepare phase a player can take, which is really cool idea. Always like Thunderstone but this just really feels like an expansion that is trying to get peoples attention again with saying it's all new and better.

I know that's 1 of the things 2nd edition was meant to address; the long ass playing time. I'm willing to bet there's different scenarios or rules which change how long the game runs.

I'll never understand the complaints of long play time with Descent. It's a quick playing game, really all the length is actually the stupid game set up with building and setting up the dungeons. Unless they really changed the game to be smaller in scale, I don't see how they can speed up the game anymore than it already was. In campaign play we would knock out floor of a dungeon in less than half an hour at times. Only reason games of Decent run long is because of some of the very large layout in regular game play. The size of the new box makes me think that perhaps they are trying to reduce the games general size because I don't see how they could dumb down the game anymore to be quicker. If they turn it into an abomination like the hideous D&D board games.... fuck that.

Though because of the pics of the components and smaller box that is half the size of the original, some have speculated that the game is being more geared to Gears of War sized scenario set up instead of giant dungeon boards you made in the original. I'm hoping that is more of their intent than to try and simplify the game.

tm24

So finally played dominion with my brother after buying the game earlier this week. it's amazing the process we went through figuring out the game, taking slow turns then having turns take like 20 seconds. Was amazing. Fucking love this game

Also, i kind of hate you guys now since i know have to buy more games in real life and on IOS. My wallet :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Either I'm just totally misplaying or Forbidden Island on iOS is way harder than tabletop. Hm.

Also can't believe BGG has been down a couple days now. They have some of the most brutal maintenance periods of any website I use.

So finally played dominion with my brother after buying the game earlier this week. it's amazing the process we went through figuring out the game, taking slow turns then having turns take like 20 seconds. Was amazing. Fucking love this game

Also, i kind of hate you guys now since i know have to buy more games in real life and on IOS. My wallet :(
:D Pretty soon you'll be checking coolstuffinc and BGG every few days to satisfy the hunger.

Flynn

Scott Alden is posting pictures on Facebook from inside server cages so I'm assuming the big hardware upgrade is going really slow.

StoOgE

It's pretty infuriating because there are no other websites that do this stuff. BGG is the only option.

Yeah.. as much as I love BGG, it's sort of unfortunate that they are the only such site online. Also, their layout needs a redo pretty bad.

tm24

:D Pretty soon you'll be checking coolstuffinc and BGG every few days to satisfy the hunger.
I don't doubt it. I was going to buy carc and ascension last night but we played another game of dominion instead and forgot to. Will buy both when I get home!

mugen812

I've been a long time lurker now for this thread, and thought I'd finally post. It all started with Astrolad's FP recommendation of Ticket to Ride and it's been downhill from there. I've absolutely been addicted to board gaming now and have since then built a small collection (Carcassone, Catan, Stone Age, Dominion, Pandemic, Lost Cities, San Juan, Jaipur, just to name a few). By far the biggest hits have been Ticket to Ride + 1910 & and Stone Age.

Speaking of stone age, it seems that worker placement games seem to be the one that goes over well with the 3-4 people i generally play with. With that being said, I was looking into what would be a good next step in the worker placement genre. I know Agricola and Caylus seem to be the popular, would be answers based on what I've read, but I was afraid of the learning curve. Plus, I wanted something with a little more "theme" to it. I watched some videos of Lords of Waterdeep, and it looked like something that might be a nice next step game. Next up, I would definitely like to get Power Grid on the table. I just need to man up and be confident in the rules explanation department.

besada

Banned
Picked up High Noon Saloon by Slugfest while I was stuck at a comic book signing for four hours. We broke it out on the spot and played. It was a blast. From the tiny little board to the on-the-nose spaghetti western attacks and defenses, we really enjoyed the shoot out. We played the basic game, with the special character traits and can't wait to play again.

Evlar

Banned
I hadn't been playing any hobbyist, larger-group boardgaming in a while; I had mainly been playing through the expansion packs of LOTR TCG with a friend. This week I decided to buy Risk: Legacy on a whim... I assembled a group of six (my wife only had time to play one game, so another friend took her seat). We made the pre-play decisions collectively, explained the rules, and played two games. I think everyone was blown away with it; it's definitely the most successful high-aggression game we've tried.

I'm really impressed.

MichaelBD

It's official! I'm publishing Tammany hall!!!!!!
Man, talk about timing. I just traded away my copy (for Horus Heresy).

I might actually pick up TH again. I only had once chance to play it and the group I was with didn't like it, but I did.

I had put it up for trade because I heard whisperings of a new edition and wanted to try and get some weighted value for my copy before any solid news came out.

Congratulations!

I've been a long time lurker now for this thread, and thought I'd finally post. It all started with Astrolad's FP recommendation of Ticket to Ride and it's been downhill from there. I've absolutely been addicted to board gaming now and have since then built a small collection (Carcassone, Catan, Stone Age, Dominion, Pandemic, Lost Cities, San Juan, Jaipur, just to name a few). By far the biggest hits have been Ticket to Ride + 1910 & and Stone Age.

Speaking of stone age, it seems that worker placement games seem to be the one that goes over well with the 3-4 people i generally play with. With that being said, I was looking into what would be a good next step in the worker placement genre. I know Agricola and Caylus seem to be the popular, would be answers based on what I've read, but I was afraid of the learning curve. Plus, I wanted something with a little more "theme" to it. I watched some videos of Lords of Waterdeep, and it looked like something that might be a nice next step game. Next up, I would definitely like to get Power Grid on the table. I just need to man up and be confident in the rules explanation department.

First off, welcome. Agricola is a great game but can be a bit harder to understand than Stone Age. You can play the family game variant of Agricola to get a taste for it but I'm not a fan. It removes the jobs and improvements and those can be the best part. As far as other choices for worker placement games, I thought The Manhatten Project was fantastic and I'm also a fan of Lancaster. Both have really good player interaction and are easy enough to learn and play.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hmm, worker placement with more "theme." That's a bit of a tricky one as worker placement always feels pretty abstract to me. Agricola is actually a good example of a WP game that has good theme integration. Carson City is actually really good for that too. Think it might be right up your alley though it's a solid step up in terms of rules (easier than Agricola though). Also take a look at Kingsburg that's a perfect step up though it's a little light on theme.

panda21

thinking about getting a new game for the easter weekend, how complex if Lords of Waterdeep? I really like the sound of it but I'm worried it will be too hard. Basically just in terms of how much rules and mechanics need to be read to play the game, is it fairly simple conceptually?

on a related note, how do you handle the first play of a game? is it basically a write off unless its really simple, because you'll have to keep stopping to look at the rules? I guess I could read up on them before myself but then its hard for the other person to know what to do if they don't know the rules and they are too complex to explain succinctly.

mugen812

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. This thread has been very newcomer friendly and full of helpful posters.

I've been very tempted with Kingsburg and it seems like the next logical step. However, I've heard that it might not be worth getting if you have stone age already. I don't know how true that is. I will definitely look into Carson City and read up on Agricola more to see if I just want to make the jump straight into it. I still got Lords of Waterdeep to try out and perhaps that might scratch the itch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
thinking about getting a new game for the easter weekend, how complex if Lords of Waterdeep? I really like the sound of it but I'm worried it will be too hard. Basically just in terms of how much rules and mechanics need to be read to play the game, is it fairly simple conceptually?

on a related note, how do you handle the first play of a game? is it basically a write off unless its really simple, because you'll have to keep stopping to look at the rules? I guess I could read up on them before myself but then its hard for the other person to know what to do if they don't know the rules and they are too complex to explain succinctly.

I never go into a game without having read the rules at least once, and usually making sure I've read the FAQ and maybe even BGG rules forum a bit as well. This is just because I hate having to constantly reference the manual even though some referencing during the initial play is unavoidable.

Steenbock

Neo Member

IMHO, Lords of Waterdeep is very easy to learn, I've introduced multiple people to the game and they've all gotten the hang of it up within the first round.

As for the first play, personally I read through the rules, then try to sit down and play a full game by myself, taking on however many 'player slots' are necessary. I don't worry about hidden knowledge or anything like that, and if 'knowing' a certain piece of hidden knowledge would let me trigger a specific game effect, I go ahead and use that information.

By doing this, I can take as long as I need to read through the rules or check online to resove any issues that come up. By the time I'm done, I've at least got a handle on the basic 'flow' of the game, if nothing else.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tonight I played TTR Team Asia; like a lot of Team games that have an element of information hiding between teammates, it's difficult to establish a baseline for what kind of communication is not allowable. Won 215-132. I found it gave a significant advantage to spend a turn at the beginning of the game to put my individual route cards up into the shared cards pile. The opponent's team had the poor luck that one player chose their route cards focusing on the right side of the map at the beginning of the game while the other chose route cards on the left; my team by a stroke of chance had pretty coherent route choices.

Last night I played Hive, which is a tile placement/moving game comparable to Six, Hex, Go, etc with an insect theme. It seemed to have the kind of ridiculous (mathematical) depth that those kinds of games have. It was enjoyable, but I think I'm gonna write an AI for it rather than play it anymore. The insect theme was pretty half-baked and I didn't really feel like the names given to pieces had a solid connection to their move-type besides the Queen and Grasshopper.

Slacker

Tonight I played TTR Team Asia; like a lot of Team games that have an element of information hiding between teammates, it's difficult to establish a baseline for what kind of communication is not allowable. Won 215-132. I found it gave a significant advantage to spend a turn at the beginning of the game to put my individual route cards up into the shared cards pile. The opponent's team had the poor luck that one player chose their route cards focusing on the right side of the map at the beginning of the game while the other chose route cards on the left; my team by a stroke of chance had pretty coherent route choices.

I wondered about the communication aspect of TTR: Team Asia too, but after playing for the first time last week, it seemed relatively clear to me. The only communication we allowed was through the cards placed in the shared holders. Even with that limitation, I still found it pretty easy to convey to my partner what needed to be done on a few turns. I went first every time around, so a few times I would put cards needed for one leg of a route in the shared holder, then lay down trains on the second part of the trip on a future turn. He realized I needed him to fill in the first pretty quick.

Great game, BTW. It seemed like it would be a little too much when I read the instructions, but it played really well with my group. And while we're on the subject I just played TTR: India for the first time the other night with the wife. Even though she kicked my ass it was good fun. I hope Days of Wonder is working on getting all of the above added to the iPad app.

Karak

Dug out my old copy of Supremcy. Sometimes oldies are goodies and this was it. What a hit. I didn't think my new pals would enjoy it but after a 4 hour game we spent another hour just sitting and talking about everything that happened. Used a couple fan rules to keep the gaming speedy but it still took 4 hours because the number of backroom deals and the general insane level of skulduggery was legendary.

Flynn

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. This thread has been very newcomer friendly and full of helpful posters.

I've been very tempted with Kingsburg and it seems like the next logical step. However, I've heard that it might not be worth getting if you have stone age already. I don't know how true that is. I will definitely look into Carson City and read up on Agricola more to see if I just want to make the jump straight into it. I still got Lords of Waterdeep to try out and perhaps that might scratch the itch.

There is an Agricola app coming soon-ish so that might be a decent introduction. I love teaching that game so hit me up if you ever have a question about it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know Vasel gets way overhyped on games sometimes, but his Lords of Waterdeep review has me seriously intrigued. Mediumweight D&D-themed euro that plays in under an hour? Sounds pretty fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom