• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Xbox One Experience Beta |OT| Beta tested in the future

Akai__

I believe unplug your console... do some more digging (I did not have the problem) but that is what I remember being prepared to do.

First try it with:
touch xbox button on console. it shut's off. Wait five seconds. press xbox button again. it starts a few % earlier.
Had the same issue. had to do this routine two times. worked then!
(be sure to unconnect usb hard drive and remove dvd/bluray/cd from tray)

or: if nothing helps and it stucks at 60% after you tried the mentioned method then unplug all cables, ethernet, kinect, power, usb, everything and tried it again.

Thanks guys, that helped a lot. Downloaded and ready to go. :)

Installed the beta last night and on the whole it seems faster but there is a lot I hope they change as well. First, let me say that I never hated the old dash like so many others did, I don't snap much and as a result I did not complain of slowness all the time. Furthermore I also had no problems using it and finding things.

First the good: The install went great, I have Kinect and an external HDD and there were no issues recognizing any of my games. The dash does seem snappier than before. I did not run into any bugs or crashes. All the games and apps I tried worked fine, but there seemed to be a little more hitching during initial loads, but once I was in-game they all worked fine. I really like the new settings app. I also like the new page for an item or game in the store. The TV listings in the guide seem to load and scroll much faster than before.

And the bad: I'm not going to list out things that I suspect will be fixed by the time this thing is released (hiding demos, the community section, etc.) but I will say that I think in general a lot of the icons in the dash are way too big and take up too much space. Furthermore, the "store" pages to the right on the main dash are way too busy with row after row of listings. I think I preferred the old way where there were a few items tastefully arranged and then links that took you to the relevant section of the store app. It's just too busy as-is, IMO.

As many of you have said, I'd really like some customization options even though I know we probably won't get them. I'd like to customize the guide button behavior, what apps appear in the OneGuide, whether to show the community tab at all, whether we want pins at the bottom or on a tab to the left or right, etc. Time to hit their forums.

I'm used to betas having bugs and stuff but man have I run into a lot on this. I like it though seems like a step in the right direction, the one guide is actually useful.

moeppel

Can you move a complete external HDD to another external or do you still have to move each game separately?

Did this yesterday because I switched drives...

operon

So has anyone decided to revert back to the old OS? If so, was it easy?

One person at least said they were going to, no idea if it is easy but they did say it will factory reset your xbox one so make sure all your stuff in on an external drive or you will have to download it all again

Leyasu

Banned
One person at least said they were going to, no idea if it is easy but they did say it will factory reset your xbox one so make sure all your stuff in on an external drive or you will have to download it all again

All my games are on my external drive. I'm just slightly worried with halo around the corner that there will be problems.

gossi

So has anyone decided to revert back to the old OS? If so, was it easy?

A couple of people in this thread have. Just go into Preview app, then change your registration back to opted out. It will then factory restore your Xbox back to standard OS. If you have your games on external, you just sign back in and everything reappears, including saved games.

All my games are on my external drive. I'm just slightly worried with halo around the corner that there will be problems.

Honestly, considering that a) it's Halo and b) it's not coming out for another 3 weeks, I'd feel pretty confident that you're in the clear.

gossi

Honestly, considering that a) it's Halo and b) it's not coming out for another 3 weeks, I'd feel pretty confident that you're in the clear.

I did ask, MS say they don't certify upcoming titles with NXE. However like you say it's Halo, which is MS - they will be aware of issues and patches come within a few days. Overall, it's a risk being in NXE - but that's the nature of it.

kazinova

Just got added last evening while I was playing Rock Band 4. The new dash seems faster, at least for the new stuff. All apps and screens that haven't been changed seem to still run like before. I little clunky and slow.

Can't wait to dig in more when I get home from work today.

Leyasu

Banned

Your probably right. I'm just over thinking this..

It's not as if Microsoft would let a halo game be released that doesn't work properly :-D

ryan299

The old UI with your recent games and apps with your disc is so much better then the vertical nature of this one. I would like to see them go back to it.

I mean the recent section, not the overall UI.

Alx

I will say that I think in general a lot of the icons in the dash are way too big and take up too much space. Furthermore, the "store" pages to the right on the main dash are way too busy with row after row of listings. I think I preferred the old way where there were a few items tastefully arranged and then links that took you to the relevant section of the store app. It's just too busy as-is, IMO.

I agree entirely. I liked the metro visual design because it made sense. No clutter, simple shapes and colors, straight to the point. Seeing the more complex pages of the new dashboard makes me miss the old one already (although it's not a surprise, many design choices of Win10 made me miss Win8 too).
There are some things I don't really understand, like why the huge horizontal tiles for each game and app on the main page ? Apparently it's mostly used to display shortcuts to "game hub" or "share", which were fine (better, even) as optional information that you would access through the menu button.
It made so much sense before (one tile per game, menu=right click= display game-related options), now it feels like "let's cram as much info as we can in that tile !"

Kssio_Aug

Anyone else having issues visualizing the friend list?
At the "friends" tab they don't appear at all... at the "recent players" and "favorite tab", my general friend list appears once in a while even though should obviously appear only my favotire or recent players list.

Akai__

It's cool to see that they added Power off and Restart console settings, but I think they should differentiate between Power off and Instant, which means I want it to look like this:

Code:
Instant on
Power off
Restart console

And when the Xbox One button is pressed in on the controller, it should look like this:

Code:
Instant on
Power off
Restart console
Controller off

Report a problem

Just my 2 cents, but those aren't really priority issues or required. I'd just welcome the options.

Oh and I changed my mind. I was really really sceptical about the look of this, but it's way better than the previous UI, now that I got my hands on. This is just great.

Delryk

Seems like most of us got the update yesterday... I didn't really play around with it last night because of RB4.. but managed to report 3 bugs which I think were related to the dashboard UI.

It is a lot faster and smoother though... like the fell of it. Can't wait to play around with it tonight

mrtoaster

Neo Member
I'm in hooray!

I have kinect but Xbox doesn't recognize me anymore. :(

Store seems to be lightyears ahead from the old one.
I dont understand the snap function...do I have to select it always from the new menu?

RdN

With the amount of improvement they did just this week, I'm pretty sure that in 3 weeks this dashboard will be very stable.

I am still trying to figure out why they are doing this staggered nonsense.

Might be so if people have issues they have time to respond and help those individuals before the next wave rolls out. If everyone got in at once and there was an issue it'd be a huge problem to handle.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
in one of the menus it says "start a chat party" and I can't tell if that's a bug. I mean it's grammatically correct but there's something about it

dragoncdf

went today to preorder the digital version of rise of the tomb raider and payment screen wouldn't pop up. it would just go back to the product page. tried several times nothing and even tried a hard reset still wouldn't work. then finally second try after hard reset it worked.

Bsigg12

in one of the menus it says "start a chat party" and I can't tell if that's a bug. I mean it's grammatically correct but there's something about it

What region are you in? On the Guide, in the parties tab, it says "Start a party to chat online" for me. I'm in the US.

Last night was a little rougher for me in terms of finally hitting some bugs. All of them were remedied with a "Quit App" or restart of the console, but still, managed to report the following errors:

- Mortal Kombat X slow to launch
- Twitch and Youtube video glitched out (image froze, sound continued)
- Twitch chat was weirdly overlaid on top of the video image (glitched)
- When double tapping home and clicking up to see my profile, some of the text was garbled
- Kinect failed to turn on with the console
- IGN app failed to launch, then failed to retrieve content, then worked

One thing I've noticed is...I have instant-on on. When I used to move from a game to an app, I'd always go back to the game and be in the same spot I was. I've noticed a lot lately that the game just restarts instead of resuming where left off. Not sure if this is because the dash is restarting on its own when I'm away from it or if it's a bug.

They finally let me in late last night. Update went smooth with no problems. Played around with it for a bit and I really like how quick everything was. Hope to toy with it a bit more later today.

If I got the update, and then went in and opted back out, is there a way to cancel that so that I don't opt out so I don't have to have my console factory reset?

Bsigg12

I figured as much, that's pretty stupid. What do I do now then? Do I reset it myself or just wait around until MS decides to?

You'll have to wait until they run the next round and pull you out of the program. Not quite sure what the timeline for that is though.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Apparently downloaded last night for me. Tried playing some Halo MCC and I am unable to find a game in Multiplayer. Anyone else have this issue?

Now that I've got it working, I like it. The menu feels fucking slick. Having everything accessible so quickly is just awesome.

Only wish they'd switch the functions of the Home button. Tap it once, get the guide. Tap it twice, go to dashboard.
So completely agree with this, put it on the forums as I have (albeit a different set of forums)

Saiyan-Rox

Finally got the new dash

It looks really nice but as expected it's still laggy and buggy atm (well for me)

And I go to play the MCC and get "unable to sync save data"

Well guess i'll try playing tomorrow then

Dynamic3

Is it still possible to get an invite to the preview program at this point? I just got an X1 and would love to try this out.

Justinh

Today has been glitchy as hell for me. Can't get through Destiny without an eventual screen freeze. I think its tied to party invites and messages notifications.

I had no issues doin' my dailies in Destiny today, but whenever I turn on my console it seems like a crapshoot whether or not Xbox Live will work. I have to just keep hard resetting and hope it'll work "this time."

You'll have to wait until they run the next round and pull you out of the program. Not quite sure what the timeline for that is though.

I guess he could do it himself with a usb drive and doing the whole eject/side button thingy, but personally just wait and see if a new update will fix it.

Is it still possible to get an invite to the preview program at this point? I just got an X1 and would love to try this out.

Not one person, from what I can tell, I invited had gotten into the program, so I don't know.

edit: Dammit, I don't want to be on top!
QySU5TO.gif

So here's something new: the store is defaulting to the deluxe version or premium edition for pre-order items and making it difficult to find the standard edition, it wasn't doing that yesterday.

Have reported through feedback.

Kssio_Aug

Ok. When I started I had issues with my NAT, but I fixed it turning off UPnP and reconfiguring the connection in the system.

Had a problem visualizing my friend list, but got it fixed after a reboot.

I'm still having an issue where I can't login automatically (maybe because the main account is my cousin's account). When it login in, I can't do anything related to my profile. It's clearly a bug... I reported it, hoping for a quick fix.

Other than that, at first it was strange. Now I'm getting used and am really liking it. The Store tab is much better than before, and I love how quick I can access my friends and messages tab. Also the notifications are much better organized!

Now they need to implement back some stuff, such as the option to hide the apps you don't want to be shown in the download list. Also they need to add some new stuff such as the option to revert the snap center and home commands (press once to snap, twice to go home). And they need to redesing some stuff to get better, such as the community tab, the "my apps" app, and that section that gives you the option to turn the controller off when you hold the Xbox button (they really need to change that and improve it with new functions).

Great experience so far, but they can improve a lot! =P

Boomshaw

Banned
To be honest I wish I hadnt downloaded the new dash preview. Glitchy as hell and my xbox is randomly turning off. I've had the kinect even turn my tv off lol.

The community tab just feels so bare.

Kssio_Aug

To be honest I wish I hadnt downloaded the new dash preview. Glitchy as hell and my xbox is randomly turning off. I've had the kinect even turn my tv off lol.

The community tab just feels so bare.

I kind of regreted as soon as I saw the thread about all the bugs. lol
Sadly I could not cancel the solicitation.

At least they're intending to release it soon. And they may want it very stable for Halo 5 release!

For those who are in since a while, how frequent are the updates? And are they fixing stuff fast? How is it compared to day one?

eXMomoj

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to watch YouTube videos, Twitch streams or Live TV in PiP mode while playing a game or does it still take up the entire side of your screen still?

Figured I'd ask this again since more people have had exposure to the dashboard. Can't find an answer anywhere online.

Head.spawn

Ok. When I started I had issues with my NAT, but I fixed it turning off UPnP and reconfiguring the connection in the system.

Had a problem visualizing my friend list, but got it fixed after a reboot.

I'm still having an issue where I can't login automatically (maybe because the main account is my cousin's account). When it login in, I can't do anything related to my profile. It's clearly a bug... I reported it, hoping for a quick fix.

Other than that, at first it was strange. Now I'm getting used and am really liking it. The Store tab is much better than before, and I love how quick I can access my friends and messages tab. Also the notifications are much better organized!

Now they need to implement back some stuff, such as the option to hide the apps you don't want to be shown in the download list. Also they need to add some new stuff such as the option to revert the snap center and home commands (press once to snap, twice to go home). And they need to redesing some stuff to get better, such as the community tab, the "my apps" app, and that section that gives you the option to turn the controller off when you hold the Xbox button (they really need to change that and improve it with new functions).

Great experience so far, but they can improve a lot! =P

Are you posting any of this stuff to their forums?

Top Bottom