• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Xbox One Experience Beta |OT| Beta tested in the future

So I think my Xbox just committed suicide. Was playing some Destiny before bed and all of a sudden the screen faded black and the system just shut itself off, completely. And now it won't successfully boot up. Either restarts, cuts to black, or gets an error message. Before that I couldn't access the guide or dashboard while in-game, but I said fuck it and kept playing.

Edit: After trying everything pulling the power cord while the console was stuck on a black screen fixed it. Sort of.

Try a hard reset. My sometimes boots into Blackscreen too.

it's strange, I actually find it sluggish and janky -- far less responsive than the old ui. Must be something with my box
Mine took a while to become fast, on first boot it was really janky and everything took long to load.

But eventually it did became blazing fast.

U2NUMB

Stuff is a mess right now, I had to restart my Xbox multiple times and stuff just is not working. Can not scroll down my friends list or even apps to snap. Quitting games is a pain and hardly works.. just not good anywhere right now.

JaggedSac

I've been in every 360/Xbox One beta since they started doing updates and this is the worst initial update I've used. Don't get how they'd go from slow to navigate to slower in an attempt to make a smoother Dashboard.

Guess what. This is earlier in the dev process than any other beta they've done too.

KevinG

Woke up this morning to start Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for my daughter and everything was all new and shiny.

Really like it so far. Not janky, and only feels a little empty because I assume the beta version isn't quite filled with content yet.

Got the update yesterday. I haven't been able to mess around with all the features yet, but it seems pretty good so far. It is a bit janky but it's definitely faster than the old dashboard.

Yaqoub

Got in today, submitted a ton of feedback.

What really made me sad was how they're presenting the activity feed. It's depressingly bad. Like/share buttons are hidden behind a click, screen real estate wasted by showing two gigantic entries at a time, it's horrible.

Left them feedback about it, naturally, but I felt like they didn't even touch the activity feed at all yet. Activity Feed on the old dash was something I actually cared about checking multiple times a day because of how fast it was to navigate, leave likes and share. This needs to be back the way it was at the very least.

Found some little bugs here and there which I also reported:

When entering user credentials for Twitter (was trying to post a screenshot) the backspace button doesn't work, nor can you see a cursor in the input field (for both username and password fields).

Other stuff include how in the guide screen the press (Y) to save screenshot and press (X) to record that would look better and more logical if they flip them around, that would be presented logically the way the buttons correspond to their location on the controller. Beats the purpose of memorization.

Store is nicer now, but it's really lacking a sales section (both for games and add-ons). Would be great to know I can easily find the latest sales in one place.

Recent apps feel gigantic, cluttered. Why does the game disc have to be in the tail end of the recent apps? Also it looks like a MS Excel table, lol.

I am really appreciating the speed enhancements, and they show.

I'm optimistic. They still have a month to refine this.

Yeah, there is something really off about that Community screen. It looks incomplete. It probably is.

This. I think the Community tab is eventually going to look a lot like the OneGuide screen, with customizable "channels" and stuff. Like, here's your friends videos, here's videos your friends have favorited, here's your friends achievements, stuff like that.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
So when you snap something, say.. TV, can you not toggle between controlling the game and TV any more? Double tapping the home button used to bring up a menu but now it does nothing. Was trying to watch the Wild Card game last night while playing Smite but could not figure out how to get back to controlling Smite.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So when you snap something, say.. TV, can you not toggle between controlling the game and TV any more? Double tapping the home button used to bring up a menu but now it does nothing. Was trying to watch the Wild Card game last night while playing Smite but could not figure out how to get back to controlling Smite.

I was just about to post this. Snapping is so confusing right now. You have a guide in the left then it snaps on the right but you can't switch between what your controlling like on the old dash so you end up with 3/4 of the screen as overlays and stuff.

They really need to put the guide and snapped app on the same side. I don't care which just make it the same so I can focus on the main window

Sean

Banned

I was just about to post this. Snapping is so confusing right now. You have a guide in the left then it snaps on the right but you can't switch between what your controlling like on the old dash so you end up with 3/4 of the screen as overlays and stuff.

They really need to put the guide and snapped app on the same side. I don't care which just make it the same so I can focus on the main window

I only got in late last night so didn't really play with it much, but there's a tile on the dashboard that says "5 controller shortcuts" or something like that with a video tutorial that shows how to use the new Snap.

If I remember correctly it said you have to hold left or right along with the guide button to take control of that snap area.

sangreal

I don't remember how you do it without kinect, but it was explained in the tutorial video for the new dash. 5 tips for the new ui or something like that. I thought it was double tap then left/right but apparently not (I just tried)

Do you mean an update, that really updates the current build or do you mean a new wave? If its the first, nope there wasnt a new build.

Update on the new build. I know when i got in couple days ago there were some improvements that Biggs posted, i think?

just curious, i didnt see anything posted from anyone in the last 3 pages.

Alx

I don't remember how you do it without kinect, but it was explained in the tutorial video for the new dash. 5 tips for the new ui or something like that. I thought it was double tap then left/right but apparently not (I just tried)

For all the complaints on the old dashboard about how it was designed for kinect and wasn't usable without it, I feel like the new one is much worse in that regard. After the iterative improvements on the old dash, I started using alternate solutions to snap, switch etc, but now I feel like I'm going 100% kinect again.

For all the complaints on the old dashboard about how it was designed for kinect and wasn't usable without it, I feel like the new one is much worse in that regard. After the iterative improvements on the old dash, I started using alternate solutions to snap, switch etc, but now I feel like I'm going 100% kinect again.

Right, especially to watch TV.

I guess they changes that app to the :eek:ne guide:

lol =/

Forsythia

I find the home page really ugly. One big pic for the last used app/game is great, but than you have the ugly ads to the side. Everything below the big pic is a mess, it's like they really had no idea how to design that thing. God, I hope they do something about that. Pins are a pain to sort, too, but at least you can use smartglass for that.

Lima

Is there a way to set the clock to 24 hour time?
I'm almost certain that there was a way to do it on the old dashboard...

No. Depends on your country settings if it uses the 12 or 24 hour clock.

This was only a setting you could chose on the 360.

leeh

That would be nice too. Something to sort friends into. I'd like to have a GAF group, for one thing.
I've been waiting/asking for something like that since the 360. If they incorporated it so you could specify a prefix in the community so like [GAF] Gamertag and it was baked into every game, that'd be amazing.

I think I'd like it if it:

-Had Netlix and Amazon Prime
-Picked up on my viewing habits better

right now its the one guide for no one.

you have to subscribe to video services, have your cable box hooked up with all popular channels, and buy movies on demand from windows.

thats the only way all the content is relevant to you, even then, theres zero discovery outside of trending.

and trending is fine, but it needs to pull from the sources i actually use. dont show me that a certain tv show is trending on cable if i dont have the channel. dont show me a popular movie on netflix if i dont have netflix. pull from sources the individual actually uses.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member

I have Kinect. I will look for the video.

Oozer3993

I woke up this morning find that I had finally been welcomed into the promised land of speed and beauty. Now to wait impatiently through the work day until I can get back to toy around with it.

I feel so dumb that i didnt know there were settings under the tv settings to have the audio output either stereo or surround.. i guess i've always had it in stereo by default -_- ...

changed it last night and i finally can watch the those hd channels in 5.1 lol.. wow
i was always curious why sometimes the audio sounded really low.. BLAH

thenameDS

I must have got in last night too, just turned on my Xbox and finished the update. Looks good so far, feels much faster too.

Will play around with it on the weekend, hopefully it won't let me down tonight when I try to watch YouTube before bed

Well this OS is definitely warming up on me now that I've gotten a but used to it. It's still very rough around the edges and needs a ton of Polish but I'm feeling confident where this could go

I love having the ability to send and recieve messages and start party's without hitting loading screens or backing out. It takes seconds now and it's awesome. That whole snap tab is a massive improvement over what we used previously. I can finally look at someone's profile without waiting 10 seconds.

The new TV app and guide is so God dam slick. I virtually stopped using the old guide cuz there was a 5 to 10 second load to bring it up but this new guide comes up in fractions of a second and is quick (ie. No jank)

Has anyone tried instant switching with voice? It happens so fast not I love it. It makes that slight pause you get when you back to home that much more jarring.

Obviously still some issues though. There is still a ton of jank when navigating the home screen. I'll press down 3 times to navigate and it will sometimes result in a bit of delay. It's much improved over the old OS but still not where I hoped it would be so hopefully it improves.

The community tab Is an ineligible mess right now too. I'm hoping it's because they haven't fine tuned it but it's pretty much impossible to understand. All they need to do is copy the activity feed from the og freinds app over to here.

Also as others of mentioned the one guide tab is pretty useless to most everyone right now. If it was tailored to individual use then it would be great but all it shows I'd a list of movies and shows on crackle and Xbox video neither of which I would use.

Finally I miss the what's on tab... Maybe the one guide can replace this at some point but having that tab that showed Xbox videos on YouTube, top twitch streams, ans trending TV was nice as I used all those thing.

I've noticed very little in the way of bugs right now. I had tomb raider freeze on me once which is something I've never experienced but other then that it's been pretty nice.

Stopped at 60%. I forgot what to do in that case. Anybody know?
First try it with:
touch xbox button on console. it shut's off. Wait five seconds. press xbox button again. it starts a few % earlier.
Had the same issue. had to do this routine two times. worked then!
(be sure to unconnect usb hard drive and remove dvd/bluray/cd from tray)

or: if nothing helps and it stucks at 60% after you tried the mentioned method then unplug all cables, ethernet, kinect, power, usb, everything and tried it again.

Now that I've got it working, I like it. The menu feels fucking slick. Having everything accessible so quickly is just awesome.

Only wish they'd switch the functions of the Home button. Tap it once, get the guide. Tap it twice, go to dashboard.

Kssio_Aug

I just installed it.
First, my NAT was moderated, and said I was behind a UPnP port. So I deactivated UPnP, it went straight to Strict NAT, I tested the connection and was able to set it back to open.

However... I can't see my pins.
It keeps asking me to connect to my account to see my pins, even though I am connected!

Edit:
I have to sign out and sign in every time I boot it up. Will send a feedback about it...

Now that I've got it working, I like it. The menu feels fucking slick. Having everything accessible so quickly is just awesome.

Only wish they'd switch the functions of the Home button. Tap it once, get the guide. Tap it twice, go to dashboard.

Personally I wish they would do away with the double tap and just let us hold the center button to access the guide. I hate double tapping that button.

The option to turn on/off the console is in the snap tab right now anyways.

Better yet turn double tap into instant switch to your previous app (or switch between snapped and main app) like playstation. With how quickly the apps switch now I'd love to be able to switch between TV and game without having to even go back to the dash.

Top Bottom