• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next Batman game?

Was going through twitter and this guy who is kind of sort of an insider, (had concept art of the canceled Damian Wayne Batman game and knew some stuff about Gotham Knights), said not only does he not see WB Games ever doing a solo Superman game, but went further to say he never sees them making another solo Superhero game period ever again.

Now that seemed a little overly pessimistic to me but with that memo from WB games talking about a "heavy focus on live service elements" and the general trend of the industry... I'm honestly not sure what to think. I was replaying the Arkham games on my PC the other day and man those games are wonderful. Would actually be kinda depressing if we never got another Batman game ever again for as long as gaming exists. I mean hell even EA put out Jedi Fallen Order and is apparently making sequels.

But what do you guys think? What time window if any would you realistically see a new one coming out if ever? What studio would they commission to do this? Or would they outsource the license as Disney does with Marvel/Star Wars?

BabyYoda

Banned
I wouldn't hold your breath on them putting out a game with a white man lead anytime soon, we're "problematic", didn't you get the memo?!.

stn

Its really a shame that we'll potentially never get a solo Superman game. While I am looking forward to the Arkham Knights game, its only because Red Hood is playable.

Kuranghi

If Suicide Squad is disappointing, I'll just pretend the next Arkham game is me replaying Arkham Knight at 4K60, max settings without framerate drops on a 2022 GPU.

Larxia

If Suicide Squad is disappointing, I'll just pretend the next Arkham game is me replaying Arkham Knight at 4K60, max settings without framerate drops on a 2022 GPU.
I have absolutely no interest nor trust in Suicide Squad, the concept and atmospheres alone seem awful.
But you're forgetting Gotham Knights, like many people for some reason. I think many people are ignoring Gotham Knights just because it's not made by rocksteady, but that doesn't mean it has to be bad, the concept is in my opinion much more interesting than Suicide Squad, and it's actually more of a direct sequel to arkham knight than what suicide squad is, even if they say Gotham Knights isn't canon... But that's just typical Warner / DC, there's never any good consistency in what is canon or not with them.

Kuranghi

I have absolutely no interest nor trust in Suicide Squad, the concept and atmospheres alone seem awful.
But you're forgetting Gotham Knights, like many people for some reason. I think many people are ignoring Gotham Knights just because it's not made by rocksteady, but that doesn't mean it has to be bad, the concept is in my opinion much more interesting than Suicide Squad, and it's actually more of a direct sequel to arkham knight than what suicide squad is, even if they say Gotham Knights isn't canon... But that's just typical Warner / DC, there's never any good consistency in what is canon or not with them.

I will remain optimistic but Gotham Knights just looked liked "Arkham Avengers" to me, especially that boss fight, what they showed there was not something I'd want to play over a more crafted experience which is what I thought Suidcide Squad was/is, maybe I've got them mixed up though.

There are a couple of things I love about Marvel's Avengers, like the destruction but the gameplay isn't for me, its like a Diablo game where you never kill much faster than your starting speed, which seems to miss the point of the genre imo.

sncvsrtoip

so batman series end in 2015 with arkham knight, shame, one of my favs, don't want to be hater but this time hope wb will lose money on their future game services

Last edited:
I will remain optimistic but Gotham Knights just looked liked "Arkham Avengers" to me, especially that boss fight, what they showed there was not something I'd want to play over a more crafted experience which is what I thought Suidcide Squad was/is, maybe I've got them mixed up though.

There are a couple of things I love about Marvel's Avengers, like the destruction but the gameplay isn't for me, its like a Diablo game where you never kill much faster than your starting speed, which seems to miss the point of the genre imo.
I'm of the same mind. I think some people were being nice with that reveal. To put it bluntly I thought it looked embarrassing and amateur on almost every level. And Origins is one of my favorite games. I'm not getting either but if I had to pick I'd go with Suicide Squad.

Personally I think SS could do well but I think GK is dead on arrival. I can't see a scenario where that is commercially or even critically successful. Perhaps if/when that flops WB will scramble for a more traditional Batman game. Especially with the new Robert Pattinson movie and Spider-Mans PS5 inevitably selling extremely well. We'll see though.

Kuranghi

Who wants to play as Batman anyway, what a boring guy, he's so uncool and his personality is too bubbly for me. Driving a big car around with nitro boosters on it and gadgets that allow him to punish thugs (Who speak like schoolyard bullies) with extreme prejudice.

What young lad ever wanted THAT fantasy? Cancel Batman, its rubbish now.

/hyper-s

I'm of the same mind. I think some people were being nice with that reveal. To put it bluntly I thought it looked embarrassing and amateur on almost every level. And Origins is one of my favorite games. I'm not getting either but if I had to pick I'd go with Suicide Squad.

Personally I think SS could do well but I think GK is dead on arrival. I can't see a scenario where that is commercially or even critically successful. Perhaps if/when that flops WB will scramble for a more traditional Batman game. Especially with the new Robert Pattinson movie and Spider-Mans PS5 inevitably selling extremely well. We'll see though.

Yeah I feel like thats inevitable, right now they are thinking:

"Wow Arkham quadrilogy sold super well and they are all critically acclaimed but we could still make so much MORE money with GaaS"

Then at Q4 2022 meeting:

Publisher: "Okay that did good but we didnt make quite as much extra money as we'd hoped we would, and its not critically acclaimed at all. When can we get a new SP batman game out?"

Rocksteady: "In 2026 if you want it to be as good as Arkham trilogy"

Who wants to play as Batman anyway, what a boring guy, he's so uncool and his personality is too bubbly for me. Driving a big car around with nitro boosters on it and gadgets that allow him to punish thugs (Who speak like schoolyard bullies) with extreme prejudice.

What young lad ever wanted THAT fantasy? Cancel Batman, its rubbish now.

/hyper-s

Yeah I feel like thats inevitable, right now they are thinking:

"Wow Arkham quadrilogy sold super well and they are all critically acclaimed but we could still make so much MORE money with GaaS"

Then at Q4 2022 meeting:

Publisher: "Okay that did good but we didnt make quite as much extra money as we'd hoped we would, and its not critically acclaimed at all. When can we get a new SP batman game out?"

Rocksteady: "In 2026 if you want it to be as good as Arkham trilogy"
My thoughts exactly. I'd imagine they'd get one of their other studios who make mobile games like Boston or San Francisco and build them up to AAA like they did with Montreal for Origins. Or they'd sit down Montreal and get them on a real batman game that their fate would be tethered to.

I mean, releasing a game 8 years ago that was the least critically and commercially successful of the saga, (I loved origins though personally), going through 2-3 cancelled projects ($$$), and then coming out with a flop 8 years later would surely put Montreal in a... delicate position.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm hoping both these games fall flat on their ass and we get a return to the Arkham Series later this generation. I like new ideas, but these aren't a suitable replacement for Arkham, personally speaking.

Or maybe I don't need a return to the Arkham series, but I do want a high quality, high production, single player Batman experience.

Last edited:
I'm hoping both these games fall flat on their ass and we get a return to the Arkham Series later this generation. I like new ideas, but these aren't a suitable replacement for Arkham, personally speaking.

Or maybe I don't need a return to the Arkham series, but I do want a high quality, high production, single player Batman experience.
Same man. This is exactly my personal prediction of what will happen. I think the movie will help this cause too to be honest. Currently, you couldn't pay me to get GK or SS.

Last edited:

polka22

Thats the comic division dude. TV, Movies and video games would be unfazed. Plus, reading that it is saying DC comics will be bought by actual fans of comics who have a passion for the characters, so even if this rumor (that got debunked by Jim Lee last year) is true it's still kind of a win?

Last edited:
Top Bottom