• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next Xbox has a heavy Windows slant and will be a reference device for manufacturers making devices like the ASUS ROG Ally most likely.

gokurho

GIF by Marcie LaCerte

Yep, this is Xbox leaving the hardware market while allowing its consumers to keep their game catalogues. From a price standpoint, these devices will not be able to compete with Sony. They will not be sold at a loss or to break even, but to profit

I would be surprised if more than 5 million of these sell.

What they're doing is actually pretty sick if you think about it. In order to maintain using Xbox Live and your Xbox Ecosystem you're going to have to pay a heavy premium on hardware.

On the other hand we're going to see in real-time how important ecosystems are and how much brand loyalty a company actually has. You hardly get to witness things like this in life. One for the history books for sure.

Astray

So even the handheld device is gonna be expensive compared to ROG ally etc?

That's the only logical conclusion one can get from the surface comparison, which is one of the least value-oriented lines in the laptop and convertible device space.

Astray

I would be surprised if more than 5 million of these sell.

What they're doing is actually pretty sick if you think about it. In order to maintain using Xbox Live and your Xbox Ecosystem you're going to have to pay a heavy premium on hardware.

On the other hand we're going to see in real-time how important ecosystems are and how much brand loyalty a company actually has. You hardly get to witness things like this in life. One for the history books for sure.
I think given the high-profile nature of Xbox news in the last 2-4 years, plus the uniqueness of being one of the 1st legacy ecosystems to fall.. This story is going to be taught in business schools for years to come.

I think given the high-profile nature of Xbox news in the last 2-4 years, plus the uniqueness of being one of the 1st legacy ecosystems to fall.. This story is going to be taught in business schools for years to come.

Combine this future decision and GamePass? Which was not too dissimilar to MoviePass as a business model.

Have you ever researched the MoviePass model and how/why they failed? It's fascinating.

Microsoft took a similar model but they leveraged the xbox eco system along with Microsoft's cash to see if they could make it work. Hell they spent 80 billion dollars to ensure a stream of content.

Many people on the forum probably don't realize this but Netflix spends more than 10 billion dollars a year on content, upwards of 20 billion dollars annually.

So Microsoft hoping to be the Netflix of gaming said, 80 billion dollars is nothing. The problem? Zero growth. You could spend an entire semester on just Xbox.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Ah, so they can make the reference hardware for developers and then third parties can make the real hardware which costs 10 times as much but can actually play the games at 30fps. Very smart.

Astray

Combine this future decision and GamePass? Which was not too dissimilar to MoviePass as a business model.

Have you ever researched the MoviePass model and how/why they failed? It's fascinating.

Microsoft took a similar model but they leveraged the xbox eco system along with Microsoft's cash to see if they could make it work. Hell they spent 80 billion dollars to ensure a stream of content.

Many people on the forum probably don't realize this but Netflix spends more than 10 billion dollars a year on content, upwards of 20 billion dollars annually.

So Microsoft hoping to be the Netflix of gaming said, 80 billion dollars is nothing. The problem? Zero growth. You could spend an entire semester on just Xbox.
Too bad the 1st books that will be written about it will be done by like, Paul Tassi.

The best leak in history
4Am5xGH.jpeg
lmao that colt face always kills me.

Too bad the 1st books that will be written about it will be done by like, Paul Tassi.

You're entirely right, but I don't know how effective shilling is in retrospect.

It truly is a story of MoviePass meets Netflix. I'm sure had the FTC and CMA not pushed against Microsoft, things would not have stopped at ABK.

Regulators almost certainly helped derail Microsoft's long-term plans, but the plan was probably a pipe dream from the get go and was never going to work in a post pandemic world.

I think we ultimately see a rebranding of GamePass if not this year, by the end of next year. They won't have two back to back years with CoD on GamePass without restructuring/increasing the price. Again, they're going to ask their most ardent fans to pay the bill. I would not be surprised if GamePass is largely shuttered within 2-3 years. It might become more like EA Play and EA Play Pro. Once a subscription service hits a subscriber ceiling the only thing you can do is start to increase price/cut cost. So you increase the price and scale down the offering, probably only including original non-licensed content. Then you have a catalog tier vs a day 1 tier.

Mister Wolf

Smart move. Make your games for all platforms. Sell hybrid PC/Console hardware that's more affordable than buying a high end gaming PC while also being easier to navigate. Valve had the right idea with the Steam Machines it just was too soon. The market wasn't ready. PC gaming is bigger than ever.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

It's very funny about some here..... That is to say,

- if MS opts for a traditional console it is a mistake and it is dead.
- If MS bet on something different and advance the launch and move away from the generations, it is a mistake and it is dead.
-If MS bet on the strategy of a hybrid console/PC it is a mistake and it is dead.
- And if MS decide to abandon any type of proprietary hardware, it is also a mistake and it is dead because you abandon the possibility of an ecosystem...

We can all agree that what this means is that what some want is for MS to simply not try anything and simply They opts for dont sell hardware and be EA or TakeTwo 🤷🏻😂

Anyway, perhaps it is better to wait and see what the strategic plan is like with the hardware before drawing conclusions.

As a user mainly of Xbox (although I own all other platforms) with an extensive catalog accumulated over 20 years, my concern is summarized in:

-The support for XSeries that they maintain. And everything indicates that this is insured. In fact, so many games of all types and publishers have being released on Xbox consoles like never before.

-That there exists and creates a BC way to continue enjoying that catalog over time. And it is clear that in one way or another it is also assured. In fact, other platforms cannot say the same.

From there, what its next hardware is and what it offers will be what determines whether I buy or not. Personally, I would be more enthusiastic about a powerful and more capable Xbox, BC compatible, that could enclose in a box the possibilities of a PC and stores that would ensure 3rd party support without sales being important. Much more than a traditional closed console, its power limited by costs and which at some point can become a paperweight...

Does that imply that it will not be a mainstream product vs PS product again? I don't care, in fact I don't know who could care about something like this at this point where 98% of games are multiplatform and in any case the important thing is where thesr games are played best, at the best price or where you feel comfortable.

Let's see if in this upcoming Showcase MS give clues as to where they want to go. It's time for them to say something if it's strategie IS all games multiplataform and no exclusives. If it's hardware Will not have exclusives, MS must define what the incentives are to buy or not buy that hardware. Only Gamepass is not or not enougth.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Smart move. Make your games for all platforms. Sell hybrid PC/Console hardware that's more affordable than buying a high end gaming PC while also being easier to navigate. Valve had the right idea with the Steam Machines it just was too soon. The market wasn't ready. PC gaming is bigger than ever.
I like it as well and personally think Xbox is ahead of the curve here in attempting something different (which honestly they had to)

I do know some who are diehard Xbox guys that simply don't want to game on PC but will 100% buy this machine even at say $1000 that is an Xbox branded non upgradable PC that functions just like a console.

Plus bringing the dockable a little more price friendly option

I like what they might be doing

Dr.D00p

The only way it could succeed is if Microsoft are willing to continue subsidising the build cost of an Xbox branded SFF PC, meaning you simply couldn't build an equivalent spec PC at the same $500 cost.

...And they would have to release a new, upgraded spec Xbox every 2-3yrs in order to maintain that cost/performance ratio.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Microsoft is truly ahead of their time. But not nearly as ahead of their time, as SEGA

Sega ran out of money in a time when the console market was still growing. The console market has plateaued now. Even Sony cut their sales targets. People are not buying a $500 game console when a Big Mac costs that much.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Sega ran out of money in a time when the console market was still growing. The console market has plateaued now. Even Sony cut their sales targets. People are not buying a $500 game console when a Big Mac costs that much.

Look man, Sega figured out consoles were going away first. They beat MS by decades. You can't take this clear win, away from Sega.

Edit: Seriously though, it's actually impressive that PS5 outsold PS4 last year (launch aligned) by a few million, given PS5 is more expensive, the whole world already has PS4s that play the crossgen library, and had to budget for $500 big macs too.

Or maybe consoles just magically aren't a thing anymore and no one needs 'em starting the same day MS's plans to go PC became clear lol

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The system wars will be even crazier on this forum. The birth of a new tier that's less than a super rig PC but way better than a $500 console. A lot of these guys are gonna get a taste of PC gaming through that Xbox then just go full PC down the line.
Maybe

I still know people that simply wont game on a full blown PC as they just want that console like experience and not dealing with a PC no matter how easy they have become

Side note -

"the largest technical leap you will have ever seen in a hardware generation" = AI

Topher

Gold Member
Consoles are dead. Some just don't realize it yet.

Nah. Just Xbox consoles. The console market didn't up and vanish like a fart in the wind just because people ain't buying Xbox.

Even if the market has plateaued, there is still a market which means there is money to be made.

Last edited:
So that leak was all real. Looks like xbox as we know it is dead in the home console space competing directly against sony. They've finally thrown in the towel. It's fully sinking in now.

Looking back, I can't help but wonder how different things could be if Microsoft didn't totally fuck it up. The original xbox was a strong starting point and the 360 was setting up xbox to become a powerhouse... until kinect. Then it was just bad decision after bad decision and the rest is history.

It was Microsoft themselves who severely damaged their own brand. I don't know who was running things during the early xbox years. Why did Microsoft change that? The direction drastically changed from 2010 onwards.

Consoles are dead. Some just don't realize it yet.
You wouldn't believe how badly i want it to be true. I still wish for a day when The Elder Scrolls become a PC franchise again.

To be able to fly where ever you want, to make custom spells, to have no loading screens... All that would be possible if only Console versions don't sell so damn well. If consoles die I would benefit.

Here we are, with Xbox customers desperately trying to deny that their chosen platform sucked at their jobs. And here I am as a PC gamer wondering why Consoles (that are not called Xbox) are still going strength-to-strength, with no signs of dying.

Top Bottom