• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next Xbox has a heavy Windows slant and will be a reference device for manufacturers making devices like the ASUS ROG Ally most likely.

XXL

PlayStation and Switch will continue on. Only Xbox is abandoning consoles.

Consoles are still a $53 billion market.

Key-numbers-Q1-2024-featured-image.png

NO, it is simply to describe the reality that some express here. That is, continual contradictions simply because they don't want to admit that their real desire is for MS not to try anything. That is, whatever option MS decides regarding new hardware, they will run out and point out that it is a mistake.
I guess your reaction is simply that you identify with that description:messenger_winking:
my reaction is stating that MS "trying anything" is that MS is not trying enough.

A console is just another option for playing games. Games that are 99% the same as what you can play on other platforms. Each person is different and has different preferences. Price is important to make a mainstream product, but certainly not to play in the conditions that some want. For example, I'd rather have a Steam Deck or Rog Aly than a switch 100 times
they videogame market and it's segments are already very well established.

My dude, the other option is for SONY to have no competition of any kind or form and can do with the price and hardware what it wants. Among other things, offering crappy hardware because you wouldn't have to worry about the competition doing something better anymore. Whether the option to choose is MS releasing a hybrid XBOX vs PS a traditional console or MS totally abandoning hardware of any kind vs PS traditional console as the only option........ Tell me which one is better for the purposes of what you point out
I'm pointing out people crying about how Xbox going away will not offer competition against Sony.

I'm saying that this move in relation to PS vs Xbox is not going to do anything regarding competition.

If the strategy is that of a hybrid PC in the form of a console, the situation is totally new and unknown.
If... again. MS/Xbox's track record is the only thing we have

whatever ms is trying to do. is going to live in a very weird and niche space

They certainly won't be subject to the constraints of a traditional console at the cost of ceasing to sell tens of millions.
thus...they are not in the console market.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Very little. The younger demographic don't buy consoles and the margins are already so slim on hardware. Moreover, software is becoming prohibitively expensive to make.

What NOBODY here talks about is the genius of Iwata, who saw this coming years ago and adapted.
He Gets It Kieran Culkin GIF by SuccessionHBO

DavidGzz

The only way for Xbox to compete as a console was to make closed box exclusives and that sucks so I'm glad they opted for delivering all of their games to PC. Now maybe I only have to buy one console. Well, unless they make it a tempting all in one console with Steam....^

Last edited:

Shtef

Gold Member
If this is true (and i think it is), i wonder how will they handle backward compatible games. Will the original xbox and 360 games work on this new machines? Time will tell.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I would be surprised if more than 5 million of these sell.

What they're doing is actually pretty sick if you think about it. In order to maintain using Xbox Live and your Xbox Ecosystem you're going to have to pay a heavy premium on hardware.

On the other hand we're going to see in real-time how important ecosystems are and how much brand loyalty a company actually has. You hardly get to witness things like this in life. One for the history books for sure.

Its funny, I remember some of us saying this about this gen and the news that the Series S and Game Pass would have Sony shook.

I also said we are about to see who recovers better from their low stock statements, situation.

This is MS's last, last straw for hardware. This is it.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Yep. Interesting looking back the last five years. People act like there are some massive shifts in gaming, but there really isn't. Obviously mobile has the most growth, but consoles and PC are still extremely healthy sources of revenue.

Newzoo_Global-Games-Market-per-Segment_Nov-2022.png.webp

Newzoo_2021_Global_Games_Market_Per_Segment_2021.png.webp

Newzoo_2020_Global_Games_Market_per_Segment_1.jpg

Newzoo-2019-Global-Games-Market-per-Segment-1-1536x864.png.webp
There is.
Sony is now doing live service games

smirk drinking GIF

What's the point to buy console after this gen?
Pc will be only way to play games

Or you could go to the two competitors curb stomping MS called Nintendo and Sony. MS failing has nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo.
Amazing how people can be adamant that the one company that never showcased any ability to understand or play the market is somehow the one that's definitely correct about it going away.

Fucking hilarious.

It’s like a child who found out there dad isn’t the hero they thought he was. They refuse to believe he was just a dead beat.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
which is that the console market is failing.

It's already dead in Japan, which is why Nintendo dominates the industry there. Iwata saw the death coming. The rest of the world is just lagging by a couple of generations. The model of a box that sits under a TV with games tied exclusively to that device won't exist in 15 years. Maybe even less. That's not to say there won't be a dock like device like the Switch made to fool people into thinking they're playing a traditional console.

The system wars will be even crazier on this forum. The birth of a new tier that's less than a super rig PC but way better than a $500 console. A lot of these guys are gonna get a taste of PC gaming through that Xbox then just go full PC down the line.
There just isn't a market for a console at the price point this thing is aiming to come in at. Everyone is aware of this. This isn't gonna be some mass consumer thing.

MS' bet is that with enough 'Xbox's' on the market from a variety of makers, that perhaps they'll be able to get some reasonable marketshare at least as a digital eco, but seeing the approach that other devices like the ASUS Rog have had in terms of impact, and given that things like the Steam Deck are only going to grow their market footprint, I really doubt MS has any room to grow something reasonable here.

Fredrik

I like it as well and personally think Xbox is ahead of the curve here in attempting something different (which honestly they had to)

I do know some who are diehard Xbox guys that simply don't want to game on PC but will 100% buy this machine even at say $1000 that is an Xbox branded non upgradable PC that functions just like a console.

Plus bringing the dockable a little more price friendly option

I like what they might be doing
I jumped ship and is on PC now but the PC route is definitely a great idea. As long as the hardware is good enough to run PC versions without downscaling too much.

But they need to have a better launcher with a proper big picture mode! Or let Steam boot Gamepass and Xbox app games.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I jumped ship and is on PC now but the PC route is definitely a great idea. As long as the hardware is good enough to run PC versions without downscaling too much.

But they need to have a better launcher with a proper big picture mode! Or let Steam boot Gamepass and Xbox app games.
And GOG. I must have Alpha Protocol. And Epic Store as well.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

It's going to be a nice last act of their downfall if the Xbox brand ends up becoming a Windows based handheld device to compete with ROG and Steam Deck.

feynoob

Gold Member
Absolutely not. Consoles are evolving, but they are in no way dead.
for the last time, the way we play is evolving. We might not even have a traditional console 8 years from now.

We are at a point where we see a new technology evolution.

Darsxx82

my reaction is stating that MS "trying anything" is that MS is not trying enough.
And what would make you understand that MS is trying something?? It is very easy to say that none of the options put forward would be successful, but never to raise any possibility. Ahh!, no!!, of course doing nothing and totally leaving the hardware is the solution.... isn't it?? And that will be the best thing for the market and the competition won't it??

they videogame market and it's segments are already very well established.
NO, it is not, on the contrary, the market has never been so diversified and will be more so in the future with game streaming.

Nowadays you have dozens of ways to play the same game. It's what publishers and studios are seeing and that's why their games will be released in every possible medium and platform. The new generations are less and less subject to playing only on one platform.

I'm pointing out people crying about how Xbox going away will not offer competition against Sony.

If MS stops making hardware of any kind, it's certainly not going to help the competition... I don't know what the point is.

I'm saying that this move in relation to PS vs Xbox is not going to do anything regarding competition.

Again, what's not going to do anything for the competition is for MS to totally abandon the hardware and become EA or TakeTwo. Then, unlike you, I do believe that a hybrid Xbox console or even an/or open Xbox Handlead can improve the market and competitiveness. Even if they end up being niche products.
If... again. MS/Xbox's track record is the only thing we have

whatever ms is trying to do. is going to live in a very weird and niche space

Being niche doesn't have to be a bad thing either. Perhaps that's the best space for XBOX hardware and even for its fans, for the market and the competition🤷‍♂️

What is clear is that for some here the only valid option (or rather wish) is for MS to try nothing and stop betting on hardware of any kind. Almost as if they were terrified that they would have the chance (no matter how minimal or miraculous) that it could end up being "successful"
thus...they are not in the console market.
There comes a time to discuss what the console market is from the user/gamer's point of view and not from the business point of view. The line has never been further away when players only see places or platforms to play a game. Today, 99% of games (which are becoming more and more difficult to make and amortize) can be played in different ways, places, and platforms.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

If this rumor is true then a PC 'Xbox' OS, likely on ARM, is almost a given.

Top Bottom