• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next Xbox has a heavy Windows slant and will be a reference device for manufacturers making devices like the ASUS ROG Ally most likely.

onQ123

Would a system like this conflict with backwards compatibility with existing xbox consoles & librarys? especially if theyre moving to ARM/NVIDIA. I feel like considerable work would have to be done to get it all working, also if its not as powerful as Series S/X that would cause more problems with getting the games running without developer input. How is this all going to work?

Also i feel like Valve already has a strong foothold in this market with the Steamdeck and would be difficult to compete against and i think we will definitely be seeing a Steamdeck 2 in the near future.
They have a team recompiling Xbox games for the future.

Orenji Neko

Will you please stop making wild predictions?

How many times you are insanely wrong is unreal.

You're basically the NeoGAF equivalent of Michael Pachter.

You literally have zero idea wtf you're talking about.

This is just a small fraction, you're pretty much wrong about everything you fucking type.

I get people get things wrong about things from time to time, but your comment history is....something.

Like I said....Michael Pachter.
Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

Reactions: XXL

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Ok.....but why not an AMD APU like Steam Deck and Rog Ally?
Well they may go that route, but I think they would take the opportunity of going ARM to create a natural fork - and make it much easier to standardize hardware. 'PC' remains x86 and the new xboxPC is ARM - but you can move from one to the other with your library intact.

RickMasters

my PC is already a PS5 and Xbox…wonder who this is targeting?

Those who want something sleek under the TV. I know none of my builds can fit into my TV unit under my TV.

It still needs to be a ‘ turn on and just play’ fire and forget experience that you get with a console. I love my PC,s and my macs but they are not simple gaming devices like a console that sits under the tv and just blends into to your tv unit

drganon

Will you please stop making wild predictions?

How many times you are insanely wrong is unreal.

You're basically the NeoGAF equivalent of Michael Pachter.

You literally have zero idea wtf you're talking about.

This is just a small fraction, you're pretty much wrong about everything you fucking type.

I get people get things wrong about things from time to time, but your comment history is....something.

Like I said....Michael Pachter.
giphy.gif

mystech

This is what Microsoft has always wanted in the first place. A PC for the living room.

Personally, I think this “could be” a smart move as long as Microsoft doesn’t mess it up… Sony will have the PS6 which will most likely launch at a set price point with set specs. The only SKUs will probably be limited to Disc vs Digital options and maybe SSD size. Rumors suggest it won’t launch until 2028 which means we won’t get a “Pro” version until 2031 if it comes at all.

With this new strategy, Microsoft could launch their entry into the next gen in 2026 giving them a nice head start and a power advantage over the PS5 Pro. Then they could continue to launch additional Xbox systems through their 3rd party partners. Now let’s assume Microsoft establishes a minimum spec standard and let’s also assume they continue to push Xbox towards a PC like experience which means customers will be able to tweak their game settings according to the system they have. This would mean Microsoft could continue to release different Xbox systems at various price points with various specs meaning there is no more wait for a mid-gen “Pro” like system. Gamers on a budget can buy the low spec model and get a Series S like experience with games running at a lower resolution and frame rate. Gamers who want the best of the best can get a high spec Xbox and tweak their settings to play at the highest resolution with the highest quality. In theory in could certainly work and it’s been the norm in the PC space for a while now. Some gamers experienced CP2077 in 720p in low graphics mode at 30fps on their potato PC while others experienced it in 4K with Path tracing at 100fps.

By the time the PS6 launches in 2028 potential customers can either choose between the one PS6 console with set specs at a set price or they can choose from various Xbox systems according to their power and budget needs. For Microsoft it would be the equivalent of surrounding your enemy on all sides. It’s a great plan… but again that’s if Microsoft doesn’t mess it up…

…which judging by their decisions this generation, they probably will mess it up…

twilo99

We can all agree that what this means is that what some want is for MS to simply not try anything and simply They opts for dont sell hardware and be EA or TakeTwo 🤷🏻😂

Correct.

PS fanboiz can't handle MS making gaming hardware that competes with the PlayStation... for some weird reason

Who actually was this person? And have they said anything since?

Dunno. And no, nothing else from them since this leak.

Very understandable why though. They were probably a pretty high-ranking person in some part of the MS corporate structure that got let go around the time MS fired 10K people last year. Either that or they are a lower-level employee who got let go, but had some connections and got info through contacts.

Hell it could be someone still employed at Microsoft using a ghost account. Wouldn't be surprised if they did everything with a burner account. Best part is, the way the leak was presented you could easily assume it was just some fanboy in a gaming Discord throwing shit at a wall for the lolz. How many fake insiders exist on the internet? Easy to blend right in and just claim you were right through coincidence.

It's very funny about some here..... That is to say,

- if MS opts for a traditional console it is a mistake and it is dead.
- If MS bet on something different and advance the launch and move away from the generations, it is a mistake and it is dead.
-If MS bet on the strategy of a hybrid console/PC it is a mistake and it is dead.
- And if MS decide to abandon any type of proprietary hardware, it is also a mistake and it is dead because you abandon the possibility of an ecosystem...

We can all agree that what this means is that what some want is for MS to simply not try anything and simply They opts for dont sell hardware and be EA or TakeTwo 🤷🏻😂

Anyway, perhaps it is better to wait and see what the strategic plan is like with the hardware before drawing conclusions.

As a user mainly of Xbox (although I own all other platforms) with an extensive catalog accumulated over 20 years, my concern is summarized in:

-The support for XSeries that they maintain. And everything indicates that this is insured. In fact, so many games of all types and publishers have being released on Xbox consoles like never before.

-That there exists and creates a BC way to continue enjoying that catalog over time. And it is clear that in one way or another it is also assured. In fact, other platforms cannot say the same.

From there, what its next hardware is and what it offers will be what determines whether I buy or not. Personally, I would be more enthusiastic about a powerful and more capable Xbox, BC compatible, that could enclose in a box the possibilities of a PC and stores that would ensure 3rd party support without sales being important. Much more than a traditional closed console, its power limited by costs and which at some point can become a paperweight...

Does that imply that it will not be a mainstream product vs PS product again? I don't care, in fact I don't know who could care about something like this at this point where 98% of games are multiplatform and in any case the important thing is where thesr games are played best, at the best price or where you feel comfortable.

Let's see if in this upcoming Showcase MS give clues as to where they want to go. It's time for them to say something if it's strategie IS all games multiplataform and no exclusives. If it's hardware Will not have exclusives, MS must define what the incentives are to buy or not buy that hardware. Only Gamepass is not or not enougth.

It's funny if i shoot myself in the head... I'm dead
If I stab myself in the heart... I'm dead
If I jump off a cliff... I'm dead
If I suffocate myself... I'm dead

Astray

So they gonna be licensing out the xbox operating system or wut?
Basically yes.

It's essentially mirroring what Microsoft does with laptop and pre-built pc manufacturers. MS make a reference design that is later used as a basis by the likes of Asus/MSI/Acer etc to produce their own models.

lachesis

Sounds like MSX. Maybe it will be called MSXbox lol. Sony used to make MSX too… haha

Not sure how well it will do, as it overlaps with Windows itself more so than current Xbox? If it’s a dedicated streamlined windows kernel OS that’s optimized solely for gaming… but then again, it also overlaps with Windows territory.

TBH, at this point anything is possible - but if they are looking for some $$$, they’d better make Windows store more competitive to it’s rivals like Steam with good discounts and all.

But if this brings back the old Konami from MSX days to its prime form - I will root for them. (Sigh)

MikeM

I’m actually interested if this means legit PC settings on a console a la steam deck. Basically a mini PC and I hope they get hardware refreshes every three years.

Fredrik

If this rumor is true then a PC 'Xbox' OS, likely on ARM, is almost a given.
Then PC versions would need to be emulated. Performance will be crap. Mods won’t work. Bad idea.

What they need to do is a big screen mode for Windows, booting up directly without going into regular Windows, with zero jank using a controller and with possibility to run Steam and all other launchers plus Xbox app and Gamepass. No keyboard requirement, ever. If there is mouse requirement, launch a controller with a track pad. Or auto map the mouse cursor to the stick.

MS have the capability to do all this. But I don’t think they will. They’ll settle for prebuilt Xbox-branded PCs running Windows with Xbox app preinstalled.

Darsxx82

It's funny if i shoot myself in the head... I'm dead
If I stab myself in the heart... I'm dead
If I jump off a cliff... I'm dead
If I suffocate myself... I'm dead
It's funny because the only option that matches those similarities you describe is that MS decides to stop triying and abandon any type of gaming hardware... You can do better next time 😉😂

Another thing is that you believe/want that no option has a chance of being successful or profitable and that it is best for it to become an EA or TakeTwo because because. And maybe you don't understand that you can continue living as a less mainstream and niche product and still be profitable and interesting.

To which we arrive at the same thing that I was saying..... It is simply clear that some are terrified that MS will continue trying (no matter how slim the chances are) and that it could succeed in some way 🤷🏻

Last edited:

SHA

Yep, this is Xbox leaving the hardware market while allowing its consumers to keep their game catalogues. From a price standpoint, these devices will not be able to compete with Sony. They will not be sold at a loss or to break even, but to profit
It's obvious gamers gonna pay for great contents anyway, if we only get garbage stuff then all what they're doing is pointless, makes sense.

Last edited:
The system wars will be even crazier on this forum. The birth of a new tier that's less than a super rig PC but way better than a $500 console. A lot of these guys are gonna get a taste of PC gaming through that Xbox then just go full PC down the line.

It won’t be “way better”, MS still wants to hit a more mainstream target.

It just won’t be subsidized, and offers PC capabilities that MS hopes will offset the extra cost.

In other words, console power with 20-50% higher prices.

This is a move to get MS out of the business of losing money subsidizing hardware. PS6 will offer similar power but a much cheaper cost and none of the drawbacks of an open platform with less optimization

SHA

Well, it's obvious asus don't give a fuck about children, in this case that portion of the console demographic will wipeout instantly, they're doubling down on quitters and who jumped ship, that's a different approach to increase their user base.

Shin-Ra

They’ll be even less committed to keeping the Xbox OS up to date (if there even is one) and the other OS is Windows.

What's the point to buy console after this gen?
Pc will be only way to play games
The same reason as this gen and in the past? They will be a cheaper and easier option. Not to mention the game libraries are extremely similar as well. Don't understand where these "death of consoles" takes are coming from. Consoles, not named Xbox, are doing awesome at the moment.

This is what Microsoft has always wanted in the first place. A PC for the living room.

Personally, I think this “could be” a smart move as long as Microsoft doesn’t mess it up… Sony will have the PS6 which will most likely launch at a set price point with set specs. The only SKUs will probably be limited to Disc vs Digital options and maybe SSD size. Rumors suggest it won’t launch until 2028 which means we won’t get a “Pro” version until 2031 if it comes at all.

With this new strategy, Microsoft could launch their entry into the next gen in 2026 giving them a nice head start and a power advantage over the PS5 Pro. Then they could continue to launch additional Xbox systems through their 3rd party partners. Now let’s assume Microsoft establishes a minimum spec standard and let’s also assume they continue to push Xbox towards a PC like experience which means customers will be able to tweak their game settings according to the system they have. This would mean Microsoft could continue to release different Xbox systems at various price points with various specs meaning there is no more wait for a mid-gen “Pro” like system. Gamers on a budget can buy the low spec model and get a Series S like experience with games running at a lower resolution and frame rate. Gamers who want the best of the best can get a high spec Xbox and tweak their settings to play at the highest resolution with the highest quality. In theory in could certainly work and it’s been the norm in the PC space for a while now. Some gamers experienced CP2077 in 720p in low graphics mode at 30fps on their potato PC while others experienced it in 4K with Path tracing at 100fps.

By the time the PS6 launches in 2028 potential customers can either choose between the one PS6 console with set specs at a set price or they can choose from various Xbox systems according to their power and budget needs. For Microsoft it would be the equivalent of surrounding your enemy on all sides. It’s a great plan… but again that’s if Microsoft doesn’t mess it up…

…which judging by their decisions this generation, they probably will mess it up…

You are looking at this the wrong way. For one you still have the mindset of someone who thinks Microsoft is trying to outcompete Sony with this hardware model change. They aren't. That is not their aim anymore and given their multiplatform aims it would be counterproductive for them to pursue that goal.

Because the way it seems to me is you think they would be repeating the Series S/X strategy all over again just with even more hardware SKUs and no exclusives whatsoever. If the Series S & X approach didn't work, why would this approach of yours somehow succeed in the context of "beating Sony"?

Now, would it be successful in terms of addressing needs in the PC market and serving as a nice bridge for some of the Xbox console faithful? Likely. But I see that as being its own thing at this point. The only way this actually does begin to affect Sony in a negative way is if Sony themselves continue porting all their games to PC (or especially if they decide to push Day 1 PC for both GAAS and non-GAAS titles). Reason being because that eats away at the value proposition of their console among a segment of hardcore & core enthusiasts meaning slower early adoption rates, meaning less overall adoption of hardware and much less in software revenue & profits.

Also you're ignoring the rumors of Sony having a portable coming to the market, or a PS6-based handheld that could potentially serve as a lower-priced entry point to the PS6 hardware ecosystem. There is definitely something portable-wise coming from SIE in the next 2-4 years to complement their home consoles (IMO it should be a PS6-based portable and maybe a 'PS6 S' that's the same specs of the PS6-based portable but a home console model), to serve as cheaper points of access to PlayStation ecosystem but not compromising the value proposition long-term with incessant PC ports.

I'm very interested to see this endeavor. I don't really know if it'll be a success, considering a version of this was tried in yesteryear with the 3DO.

That said, Microsoft has a lot more resources and a very different era to try this approach, but they'll have to get over the biggest obstacles of all and that's perception.

To me, the instant their flagship titles begin showing up on PlayStation or Switch, the perception is Xbox is dead and that's the reality of it.

The real obstacle will be how can you convince people to go for your, what looks like a pre-built PC over the previous two?

Unless the notion is PlayStation and Nintendo are no longer competitors, but just means to a more profitable end.

If Steam is integrated, that makes a difference with Game Pass also, but it's still a PC. How many differently powered versions will there be?

All good questions. I'm pretty curious myself.

The wording here in the OP makes it sound like Microsoft aren't even going to make the hardware next go-around; just the reference spec that OEMs license out. And if they are going to using a version of Windows on top of that, then getting "Xbox" as part of the licensing is just going to be for branding purposes.

Something still tells me that is not going to be what Microsoft actually does, though. I need more time to think it out, but there is an alternative approach they could do. Basically, something closer to what they're already doing, but get apps for Steam, EGS etc. on Xbox OS, make some 'Xbox OS Extended Mode" for natively running Steam games on Xbox (little to no recompiling needed), bring Windows Store to Xbox, allow Xbox systems to run whitelisted Windows applications via Xbox OS Extended Mode (also maybe partially sandboxed from some parts of Xbox OS) without needing a Developer Mode, and tie Steam, EGS & other gaming storefront/launcher access to Game Pass subscription tiers (hey they did this with Netflix back on the 360 and many didn't mind).

That approach would have a lot of work involved too, but seems more feasible to me than making a full-blown Xbox gaming UI front for Windows 11 or 12, at least by the time it seems MS want to launch another generation. It'd probably take until next decade for MS to really bring that type of UI option and expected security/stability to a modern Windows OS, but they need a new gen for Xbox before that time. The approach I'm suggesting here would also probably allow them to keep hardware more affordable; you'd still pay more than the traditional console equivalent for similar performance, just not astronomically more (like what a fully 3DO-style model would entail). So assuming similar launch timing to a PS6, your next Xbox that's roughly PS6-equivalent in performance might cost $549, or $599 instead of say the $799 it maybe would've costed otherwise.

MS knows they'd lose a lot of sales on Xbox Store with people optioning for say Steam instead, but with this approach they'd still make money from that access of Steam on Xboxes via Game Pass, without needing to work out some complicated rev share model with Valve. And I guess with this model, you could still get a variety of other devices via licensing to OEMs; the OEMs can price their devices as they would like, I'm sure some would charge more of a premium to have larger profit margins considering they wouldn't get the Game Pass benefit Microsoft would get (since they don't own that service). But I also think OEMs could have more freedom with custom device form factors; MS might just stick with a console-like box and maybe a portable handheld, but some OEMs might go for tablet or laptop takes.

And you could still have the modular upgradability component here too. I think form factor type would influence what types of upgrades could be had however. Like with say a Microsoft Xbox console-like box, you can't just drop a 5080 in there; it'd be too big and use too much power. They could maybe partner with GPU makers to develop custom low-profile GPU cards that can slot into the system though (NEC had this idea for the PC-FX but the only GPU card module they released was a development 3D card for PC); meanwhile maybe an OEM has their own Xbox that's physically larger and allows for that 5080 to be installed, who knows.

I think this approach is at least just as interesting to consider as them simply adding an Xbox Big Picture Mode to Windows and having a "reference spec" that OEMs build to, and I do think that one would eventually be Microsoft's end-game. But some of the work they'd need to do in order to make Windows secure, stable and intuitive enough for a console-like UI experience would be a great undertaking. Just adding 100% working emulation for OG Xbox & 360 (even XBO, though lesser so) to Windows so that console owners can take their libraries for those systems to PC could be laborious, though again, I'm sure MS are working towards that happening.

Question is really, will that be ready by the time they need new hardware? And will they need new hardware sooner (i.e those 2026 rumors) or later (i.e launching closer to a PS6)? Either way I don't see either option changing their software strategy; they are going to be more or less fully multiplatform going forward. But this hardware component to that on their end has some intrigue in what way it could be done, and when.

laynelane

I think the issue with Xbox and why it's gone in the direction it has isn't about the tech. It's about brand awareness and acceptance on a world-wide scale and games. An enthusiast may very well be interested in a range of technical choices for a console purchase, but most people will go with what they know and/or already have and who have strong franchises they care about. Even further to that, there are people who buy a console mostly to play annually released games (CoD, sports games, etc.). There are lots of people like that and they will most likely stay where their friends are.

If they are not trying... then why are so many people worried and terrified about the possibility of them continuing to try??🤷🏻🤷🏻😉😂

As long as even a flicker of Xbox remains I won't be happy. I don't just want them buried. I want them cremated and scattered to the winds so they can't even be remembered

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Then PC versions would need to be emulated. Performance will be crap. Mods won’t work. Bad idea.

What they need to do is a big screen mode for Windows, booting up directly without going into regular Windows, with zero jank using a controller and with possibility to run Steam and all other launchers plus Xbox app and Gamepass. No keyboard requirement, ever. If there is mouse requirement, launch a controller with a track pad. Or auto map the mouse cursor to the stick.

MS have the capability to do all this. But I don’t think they will. They’ll settle for prebuilt Xbox-branded PCs running Windows with Xbox app preinstalled.
Steamdeck is already emulating windows versions of games. The first time MS showed their new windows on ARM - they showed games. Big boy PC gaming would remain on x86 with this being the consolized version running on laptops and portables with the option for HDMI out.

Top Bottom