• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next Xbox has a heavy Windows slant and will be a reference device for manufacturers making devices like the ASUS ROG Ally most likely.

Sanepar

It’s nice to want things… But that purchase would never happen. It would give them more or less monopoly on the gaming PC market, would be a 10x bigger deal than the ABK purchase. And Valve would never sell to MS anyway.
Gabe loves MS and it is a ex employee so I don't trust him.

m14

I think of these every time the rumour about the next Xbox is mentioned:

GsRvaDX.jpeg

BlackTron

Gold Member
It’s on ARM so emulation will be required, and as Dell and Asus aren’t in the business of selling DOA equipment it will be a Windows device/OS with an Xbox app preinstalled.

Well there's yet another reason it will need to be expensive. What kind of specs will they need to run a Xbox 360 game like a Series S can?

bitbydeath

Well there's yet another reason it will need to be expensive. What kind of specs will they need to run a Xbox 360 game like a Series S can?
I think this is a good indication of what to expect:

BlackTron

Gold Member
The real obstacle will be how can you convince people to go for your, what looks like a pre-built PC over the previous two?

They aren't trying to convince people to buy this hardware. That's a job for the manufacturers who so choose to make it. They just want to sell games now. If this gets an install base the size of Steam Deck (tiny for a "mass market console"), that's fine because they've washed their hands of it as it's not their hardware and they are selling the same games everywhere else too.

demigod

Smart move. Make your games for all platforms. Sell hybrid PC/Console hardware that's more affordable than buying a high end gaming PC while also being easier to navigate. Valve had the right idea with the Steam Machines it just was too soon. The market wasn't ready. PC gaming is bigger than ever.

The system wars will be even crazier on this forum. The birth of a new tier that's less than a super rig PC but way better than a $500 console. A lot of these guys are gonna get a taste of PC gaming through that Xbox then just go full PC down the line.

Let’s just make shit up why don’t we? Xbox series SSD sure are cheap isn’t it? Steam machines sure were cheap that’s why its still here amirite?

Gotta love folks who want to rewrite history.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Drell

Gabe loves MS and it is a ex employee so I don't trust him.
I fear this too but it wouldn't have made any sense for him to declare that Linux was the future of gaming and build an entire distro to put on a portable device + a lot of contributions to wine to make proton.

But wait, am I understanding this right? does this mean those third party consoles would have multiple configurations and vary in power?
What would that mean for the games themselves? we know console games are locked or capped to run at certain settings, if this consoles will be design to run Xbox games... would developers have to keep in mind multiple skus just for Xbox? or do you think there will be like some guidelines to have 2 or 3 different consoles tiers so it makes it easier for devs?
I'm just might be overthinking it lol

MarkMe2525

Let’s just make shit up why don’t we? Xbox series SSD sure are cheap isn’t it? Steam machines sure were cheap that’s why its still here amirite?

Gotta love folks who want to rewrite history.
I would like to point out that Mister Wolf Mister Wolf made an assertion that was contingent on a strategy that involved selling a machine that is "more affordable" than a high end machine, he claimed this would be a "smart move". In the comments you quoted, he never asserted that this would be the case for certain. I'm sure he would agree that it would not be a "smart move" to sell a Xbox branded PC that costs more than a similarly spec'd PC, without some compelling added value proposition.

Last edited:

demigod

I would like to point out that Mister Wolf Mister Wolf made an assertion that was contingent on a strategy that involved selling a machine that is "more affordable" than a high end machine, he claimed this would be a "smart move". In the comments you quoted, he never asserted that this would be the case for certain. I'm sure he would agree that it would not be a "smart move" to sell a Xbox branded PC that costs more than a similarly spec'd PC, without some compelling added value proposition.
I know what he meant and I still stand by it. If you knew anything about Steam Machines you’d know what I meant. Steam Machines were heavily overpriced. You could’ve built an equivalent for more than $300 cheaper.

Goodluck if you think you can buy these OEM xboxes for cheaper than a PC.

MarkMe2525

I know what he meant and I still stand by it. If you knew anything about Steam Machines you’d know what I meant. Steam Machines were heavily overpriced. You could’ve built an equivalent for more than $300 cheaper.

Goodluck if you think you can buy these OEM xboxes for cheaper than a PC.
So you stand by strawmaning Mister Wolf Mister Wolf 's statement? I know "a thing" about steam machines and question there relevance, beyond a similarity in approach (and even that is an assumption). These would not be steam machines and to make any specific comparisons, at this point in time, would ironically be just "making shit up".

Last edited:

demigod

So you stand by strawmaning Mister Wolf Mister Wolf 's statement? I know "a thing" about steam machines and question there relevance, beyond a similarity in approach (and even that is an assumption). These would not be steam machines and to make any specific comparisons, at this point in time, would ironically be just "making shit up".
No, I’m pretty sure you don’t know.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I don't even see the point of 3rd party consoles, they need to make margins on the hardware and will have to upsell with higher specs, aka a PC.

Microsoft are just making PC's.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I would be surprised if more than 5 million of these sell.

What they're doing is actually pretty sick if you think about it. In order to maintain using Xbox Live and your Xbox Ecosystem you're going to have to pay a heavy premium on hardware.

On the other hand we're going to see in real-time how important ecosystems are and how much brand loyalty a company actually has. You hardly get to witness things like this in life. One for the history books for sure.
10 million MAX!

nial

Gold Member
But wait, am I understanding this right? does this mean those third party consoles would have multiple configurations and vary in power?
What would that mean for the games themselves? we know console games are locked or capped to run at certain settings, if this consoles will be design to run Xbox games... would developers have to keep in mind multiple skus just for Xbox? or do you think there will be like some guidelines to have 2 or 3 different consoles tiers so it makes it easier for devs?
Don't worry, it will not be a console. They're Windows 12 machines.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Remove the xbox branding (too tainted) call it a surface gaming pc, give all existing Xbox series and Xbox ones full Windows.

Bam you're done. No more Xbox, MS can focus their efforts on PC and get too work on making an actually good launcher.

People who say they won't beat Playstation with that model... no shit. They're not a console manufacturer for much longer but they can still make gaming related hardware- it's been one of their biggest businesses even before Xbox

sachos

So this is how they achieve the "biggest generational leap yet", im sure they will sell super premium versions like 1k usd console. It would be cool if this pushed Sony to release a super charged 1k premium PS6 when the time comes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Smart move. Make your games for all platforms. Sell hybrid PC/Console hardware that's more affordable than buying a high end gaming PC while also being easier to navigate. Valve had the right idea with the Steam Machines it just was too soon. The market wasn't ready. PC gaming is bigger than ever.
It'll be less smart when the Xbox Next is priced at $799.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
If you thought branding confusion was bad now , wait until you have 7 different xbox models.

Going to be alot of disappointed kids at Christmas.

But mom I wanted Microsoft xbox not the MSI xbox.

reinking

Gold Member
What people need to realize is that everything is moving in a PC direction.
It's like PC's and PC games did not exist when consoles came to the market. There is a reason consoles entered the market. People wanted a simple and reasonably priced device that plugs into your TV to play video games on. That desire has not gone away as far as I can tell. We are enthusiast and think that way. IMO, the masses would just as well go to phone gaming as PC gaming. MS might be on the right path if they truly are working toward a hybrid PC/gaming console but to think suddenly everyone is going to research and buy a gaming PC is a stretch. At least for the next few generations.

Fredrik

It would just be the PC versions with preset low/mid/high choices as usual. No traditional console versions would be needed. That’s one of few real upsides to this PC strategy.

No idea how they would deal with Playstation versions though. Would be odd if they stepped in and invested in real dev teams just to make Playstation versions. They would need a Nixxes team that can do proper good ports relatively fast like how Sony do it, 1 year projects. Or maybe they’ll do some emulation layer thing?

I have said this many times here but a lot of people do not want to game on a PC but would buy this Xbox - PC if its based around the Xbox console experience

Depends on what you mean by “a lot”

The number of those people is a small fraction of the current Xbox series install base, due to the increase in cost

I do believe this new hardware strategy is more about maintaining their legacy to existing customers than anything else

Last edited:
Remember when nintendo asked sony to develop playstation, but scrapped it? Then sony was entering the console market and everybody was shitting that it doesnt have a mascot hero like sega/nintendo and sony and it would be doom for them?

It is my speculation that MS is working towards gaming where it is not limited by local hardware but tapping into computational power of AI through the CLOUD. Remember cloud gaming? Both AI and cloud is the future where developers can tap into almost unlimited computational power. A traditional console box form factor is going to be dead, just 2-3 generations more at best. Xbox branding-marketing is dead, but gaming isnt. We will see realism at a much-accelerated pace with MS.

ARM is also the future for mobile gaming with 5G connection and soon 6G.

OEMS can also contribute by releasing their own proprietary technology that can offer unique game experiences such as: controllers, VR headsets, Augmented Reality, etc.

The possibilities are all there, and being locked into comparing to Sony or even Nintendo is just constraining yourself. Things have changed and evolved drastically.

I think the future looks bright. Something must die in order to give birth to something new, otherwise it's going to drag and drown you.

Last edited:
It is my speculation that MS is working towards gaming where it is not limited by local hardware but tapping into computational power of AI through the CLOUD. Remember cloud gaming? Both AI and cloud is the future where developers can tap into almost unlimited computational power.
I hope you are joking... Because I can almost believe you are serious.

Renting is always more expensive than owning. And streaming is just another type of hardware renting. Yes, you can access literal supercomputers via remote connection. But they cost an arm and a leg just from the hourly rent. There is a reason people get ripped off renting white goods. No one has the kind of money to pay for hardware rental that actually would be profitable for the hardware owner.

GamePass needed to be much more expensive than they are now to make money. Unfortunately they lose customers if they raise prices, so there is no winning. That's just the issue with gaming being a luxury, people will go without.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It is my speculation that MS is working towards gaming where it is not limited by local hardware but tapping into computational power of AI through the CLOUD. Remember cloud gaming? Both AI and cloud is the future where developers can tap into almost unlimited computational power. A traditional console box form factor is going to be dead, just 2-3 generations more at best. Xbox branding-marketing is dead, but gaming isnt. We will see realism at a much-accelerated pace with MS.
Man, some of you just can’t let go with the BS.

You understand that the very nation where Microsoft was founded - US - has terrible internet infrastructure with data caps and even areas of no / very slow internet? Other countries are even worse. And you are assuming everyone is running unlimited fiber.

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Last edited:
I have a PC too, but if this gives me a 'console experience' with GP and the ability to access other libraries, e.g. Steam, I'd buy one.

What console experience?

A console is a machine developers specifically target when they make games..

This is not a console, it's an OEM PC with a Xbox sticker on it...

Let's call it like it is: a pathetic effort to hide the fact that Xbox as a platform is dead and buried

They can try to hide it, but it's the reality of the situation

Last edited:

Drew1440

Problem with Steam machines was they ran an operating system that was incompatible with 90% of peoples libraries, that won't be the case will full Windows compatibility on the next Xbox. The main issue is how locked down, will this be limited to games off the Windows/Xbox store or can you load your own exe's? They're not gonna sell a 499 box without making that money back somehow.

I think the future Xbox consoles would work better to showcase the latest DirectX features, like incorporating DirectStorage as standard to help grow an install base and increase adoption of technologies on the Windows side.

Mister Wolf

Problem with Steam machines was they ran an operating system that was incompatible with 90% of peoples libraries, that won't be the case will full Windows compatibility on the next Xbox. The main issue is how locked down, will this be limited to games off the Windows/Xbox store or can you load your own exe's? They're not gonna sell a 499 box without making that money back somehow.

I think the future Xbox consoles would work better to showcase the latest DirectX features, like incorporating DirectStorage as standard to help grow an install base and increase adoption of technologies on the Windows side.

Doubt it will be $500 and there is already rumors of it having Steam on it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's a handheld with a plastic dongle that allows you to play it on a TV to make you think you're still playing a traditional console.

Weird that I get no results on Amazon when I search for "Nintendo handheld with a plastic dongle that allows you to play it on a TV to make you think you're still playing a traditional console"

Last edited:

twilo99

I have said this many times here but a lot of people do not want to game on a PC but would buy this Xbox - PC if its based around the Xbox console experience

This really is the ultimate conundrum here…

Licensing the “Xbox experience” to different OEMs while still making their own is an interesting move. They do the exact same thing with the surface line of products, but this console biz is more complicated.

This really is the ultimate conundrum here…

Licensing the “Xbox experience” to different OEMs while still making their own is an interesting move. They do the exact same thing with the surface line of products, but this console biz is more complicated.
Is the Xbox brand popular enough for the “Xbox experience” to be successful, or will it just get ignored?

Top Bottom