• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next Xbox has a heavy Windows slant and will be a reference device for manufacturers making devices like the ASUS ROG Ally most likely.

Buggy Loop

Re-read the OP, Holmes. 3rd parties are also making these devices, just like steam machines and the recently overpriced handhelds. These will be priced with high margins. Goodluck if you think these will be priced under $500.

Valve didn't mass produce steam machines, they made like 300 of them and gave it away almost. They relied on 3rd parties to do the rest. It flopped, I wonder why hmm...

Microsoft wouldn't make 300 devices and call it a day. Mass production is what drives prices down.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Indeed. Who knew that Nintendo and Valve would cease to exist! :p
Damn I missed the consoles that are directly competing with the PS5

Paul Rudd Reaction GIF

midnightAI

Oh yeah and expensive nobody and a Linux only at the time pc box. Those are clearly the same...
Maybe MS will break the trend, but reference designs for gaming hasn't worked in the past as evidenced and that's all we have to go off so far.

And I personally think this will not be cheap, with the XBox they could (kinda) subsidise it (not really, they haven't managed to get costs down) because, like Sony, they expect to make that money back, if it's a reference design like device they are competing against other hardware manufacturers with the exact same machine, they will be undercut and (depending on what the reference is) overpowered by them and that's if there is even interest in the first place.

We'll have to see, time will tell.

demigod

Valve didn't mass produce steam machines, they made like 300 of them and gave it away almost. They relied on 3rd parties to do the rest. It flopped, I wonder why hmm...

Microsoft wouldn't make 300 devices and call it a day. Mass production is what drives prices down.
Yeah, prices went down so much on consoles because of mass production that they are still the same priced 80million consoles later.

You think microsoft are going to release the next xbox and take a huge loss again?

Buggy Loop

Yeah, prices went down so much on consoles because of mass production that they are still the same priced 80million consoles later.

You think microsoft are going to release the next xbox and take a huge loss again?

How much you think consoles would cost if Sony had made 300 units as a demo and leave the rest to 3rd parties?

The promise of buying X amount is usually when deals are signed for a cost of components. It's not iterative as you sell. If you fuck up your quantity estimations, there's penalties.

I mean, argue all you want demigod, It's obvious it's not the same leverage.

VR headsets has many smaller companies than Meta having a go at headsets for example and they are all mentioning the costs of components for small batch of headsets means they cannot compete with Meta. Bigscreen beyond has many interviews on the topic.

It's plain old economics, no amount of laughing emojis out of this one.

demigod

How much you think consoles would cost if Sony had made 300 units as a demo and leave the rest to 3rd parties?

The promise of buying X amount is usually when deals are signed for a cost of components. It's not iterative as you sell. If you fuck up your quantity estimations, there's penalties.

I mean, argue all you want demigod, It's obvious it's not the same leverage.

VR headsets has many smaller companies than Meta having a go at headsets for example and they are all mentioning the costs of components for small batch of headsets means they cannot compete with Meta. Bigscreen beyond has many interviews on the topic.

It's plain old economics, no amount of laughing emojis out of this one.
Your mass production drive prices down argument failed so now you’re just writing gibberish.

How much do you think microsoft will release the next xbox for and how much do you think the OEMs will release theirs for?

Megatron

The diehards who need an Xbox logo upon bootup instead of a windows/Linux splash screen.

It's the transitional device before they finally say "it didn't work" and stop making "gaming" hardware.

i assume it will be like steam deck, where the games just work without anyinstalling of drivers or adjustments needed. The convenience of a console with the library of a pc. Sounds

Buggy Loop

Your mass production drive prices down argument failed so now you’re just writing gibberish.

How much do you think microsoft will release the next xbox for and how much do you think the OEMs will release theirs for?

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

The prices we have currently are driven by mass production, are you stupid? It even mitigated the inflation we see worldwide, but even that didn't stop Sony from increasing PS5 prices in select markets.

I've got no time to waste arguing with a warrior who thinks PS5 and Xbox are not driven by lower mass production prices.

demigod

The prices we have currently are driven by mass production, are you stupid? It even mitigated the inflation we see worldwide, but even that didn't stop Sony from increasing PS5 prices in select markets.

I've got no time to waste arguing with a warrior who thinks PS5 and Xbox are not driven by lower mass production prices.
Typical insults after your claim was refuted. The PS5 and xbox costs so much still but somehow you think the next xbox and OEMs will be lower priced, what a genius you are.

Buggy Loop

Typical insults after your claim was refuted. The PS5 and xbox costs so much still but somehow you think the next xbox and OEMs will be lower priced, what a genius you are.

You didn't refute fuck all

Tell me how PS5 costs what it costs if not for mass production? You can't even get out of that one.

Your argument is that consoles prices are like if a noboody goes and pick dedicated parts at microcenter to build an equivalent. Laughable.

XXL

Xbox doesn't deserve a participation ribbon.

They were barely competing with PlayStation for the last 10 years and the moves they did make to try to compete ended up destroying the fucking brand.

Also, if they succeed with pressuring everything to be a subscription, they could have literally destroyed the entire industry and people are thankfully starting to see that now.

I know people want to fantasize about this doom scenario with PlayStation, but I just don't see it happening. The market is different now and they won't be able to be tyrannical without repercussions as easily as they could in the past.

Considering the software sales (and hardware sales) delta between Playstation and Xbox, I actually think developers might be happy only having to develop for Playstation and PC (Nintendo/PC, etc).

Right now they (sometimes) have to develop for PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Series S, Series X and PC (and even Nintendo sometimes).

That's alot of work for a console that averages about 40M sales every generation with a fanbase that doesn't actually buy games anymore.

This might actually bring stability to the industry right now, having a more unified base (that actually buys games) allowing for more creativity and maybe a bit less development time.

The PS2 was one of the most creative consoles (software wise) and it had little to no competition.

Nintendo is also experiencing lots of success with little to no competition in the handheld space and has tons of great software.

Steam also has little to no competition and is loved by many PC users.

I might be wrong, but I think them leaving hardware (eventually) might be a blessing in disguise. They were kind of over crowding the place, while bringing bad (potentially dangerous) ideas to the table out of pure desperation with no real vision and zero consistency.
Shrugs GIF

We'll see what happens...

demigod

Tell me how PS5 costs what it costs if not for mass production? You can't even get out of that one.

Your argument is that consoles prices are like if a noboody goes and pick dedicated parts at microcenter to build an equivalent. Laughable.
You claimed mass production will make these new xboxes cheap, it won’t. The OEMs will still have to make a profit since they won’t be getting any profits from subs or software. Steam machines failed because they were more expensive than the equivalent. The OEM handhelds are highly overpriced and niche. The series proprietary SSDs are overpriced. Add in your inflation to the mix. Somehow you think the new xboxes that microsoft are licensing out to OEMs will be cheap.

Buggy Loop

You claimed mass production will make these new xboxes cheap, it won’t.

So Microsoft will not enjoy their hardware leverage and they'll have the same component prices as niche products like ROG ASUS and Steam deck in the low million range. But I bet Sony will still be super cheap of course right?

Wow

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

You're way too deep into warring that logic left that brain of yours a while ago

Last edited:

demigod

So Microsoft will not enjoy their hardware leverage and they'll have the same component prices as niche products like ROG ASUS and Steam deck in the low million range. But I bet Sony will still be super cheap of course right?

Wow

You're way too deep into warring that logic left that brain of yours a while ago
You still didn’t answer how much you think the next xbox from microsoft will cost vs the OEMs.

yazenov

The next Xbox needs demand if they want to mass produce the thing.

After the disaster that is the Xbox Series, who would want to buy those things? It's going to be an expensive niche product that sells in the US only.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

You still didn’t answer how much you think the next xbox from microsoft will cost vs the OEMs.

A lot less

I don't put a price on hardware I have no clue what will be used. But less than any ASUS/MSI/INSERT RANDOM OEM

The next Xbox needs demand if they want to mass produce the thing.

After the disaster that is the Xbox Series, who would want to buy those things? It's going to be an expensive niche product that sells in the US only.

If they fully embrace PC side, all stores working on it, I don't see a point of buying Sony 🤷‍♂️
In fact Sony PC games would work on it.

Denton

Steamdeck is already emulating windows versions of games. The first time MS showed their new windows on ARM - they showed games.
Proton does not emulate anything, it translates API calls from DX to Vulkan. That is why it is basically just as fast as windows. I don't think it is the same as x86 vs ARM.

yazenov

A lot less

I don't put a price on hardware I have no clue what will be used. But less than any ASUS/MSI/INSERT RANDOM OEM

If they fully embrace PC side, all stores working on it, I don't see a point of buying Sony 🤷‍♂️

Sony too.

The fact is, Sony sells a shit tone of hardware, unlike MS. The fact that MS is releasing games on rival platforms out of desperation is proof of the dire situation MS is currently in.

People will buy the next PS6 as long as Sony doesn't mess around. The same couldn't be said about MS's next console if it actually exists and is not scraped already. You don't need an Xbox.

Last edited:

demigod

A lot less

So you think ms will release their next xbox $200 cheaper than the OEMs with the same specs. You honestly think OEMs would agree to that?

Benny Hill What GIF

bitbydeath

Wow

Consoles are cheaper because:

1. They intentionally sell it for less knowing software and subs will make up for it.

2. Mass production.

Sony retains control of all this while they still produce the hardware, if Dell/ASUS start making it then they lose the above advantages because

1. 3rd party hardware manufacturers don’t deal in software

2. Hardware is no longer coming from a single source, preventing the ability to mass produce.

Yeah. No competition for Sony is great, right?
Bad competition is the same as no competition. Xbox failed so they need to go, to have someone better take their place.

EDIT: To expend on that, I would argue that "Arrogant Sony" is already happening. One evidence is a lack of discounts for PS4 hardware. The other is of course, the unpopular PSN push that was likely caused by some CEO's salary metric being reliant on PSN growth.
All that is happening because Xbox is no longer competition, and never will again. And if you want competition in console gaming that would require Xbox to exit stage left to leave room for someone else.

Last edited:
So you think ms will release their next xbox $200 cheaper than the OEMs with the same specs. You honestly think OEMs would agree to that?

Benny Hill What GIF
It's relevant to know that Microsoft purposely prices the Surface line higher than OEM equivalents in order to not compete with them and potentially anger them since MS depends on those OEM's to supply the vast majority of Windows devices

Buggy Loop

Consoles are cheaper because:

1. They intentionally sell it for less knowing software and subs will make up for it.

2. Mass production.

Sony retains control of all this while they still produce the hardware, if Dell/ASUS start making it then they lose the above advantages because

1. 3rd party hardware manufacturers don’t deal in software

2. Hardware is no longer coming from a single source, preventing the ability to mass produce.

Microsoft can literally give stuffs for free and has done so for almost all their software suite because data is now where the money is. They shouldn't give a fuck about competing stores. They're not a $3T company by making classic barter transactions. The more peoples, even OEMs, using their console centric OS, the more money they make. Just like OEMs pre-installing windows on the device they sell. All surface alternatives and PC in general, It's straight cash to MS. You guys are still thinking of a plastic box where you barter a physical game for cash. That's old news.

bbw_lover87

Their next gen plan look like a big ol bbw booty mess, a handheld? I just get a switch 2, a beefy consoles that gonna cost a lot? I just buy a ps5 pro or wait till ps6 , plus xbox games coming to all platforms imao somebody is drugged as fuck or drunk over at xbox office baby

djjinx2

Their next gen plan look like a big ol bbw booty mess, a handheld? I just get a switch 2, a beefy consoles that gonna cost a lot? I just buy a ps5 pro or wait till ps6 , plus xbox games coming to all platforms imao somebody is drugged as fuck or drunk over at xbox office baby
If Xbox offers a value proposition I'll still get their NextBox, I'd buy the handheld too. The handheld will emulate Switch 2 just fine for the odd Mario game for me

Full steam ahead with more GamePass perks whilst adding Steam Library to it.

GTA VI at launch as well as Sony's Steam Games, it sounds too good to be true so probably is

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Microsoft can literally give stuffs for free and has done so for almost all their software suite because data is now where the money is. They shouldn't give a fuck about competing stores. They're not a $3T company by making classic barter transactions. The more peoples, even OEMs, using their console centric OS, the more money they make. Just like OEMs pre-installing windows on the device they sell. All surface alternatives and PC in general, It's straight cash to MS. You guys are still thinking of a plastic box where you barter a physical game for cash. That's old news.
The third party hardware manufacturers aren’t Microsoft, they don’t have the same luxuries, nor do they get a cut from Microsoft for software sales. Third parties pay Microsoft to have Windows on their machines, it is not given away for free.

nordique

I think this is a good idea

Next Xbox will be more like a surface - a Microsoft hardware that runs Xbox games

But many devices will run windows

Microsoft can’t do the same thing again next gen, Sony will just beat them again

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
this is a major issue for microsoft.
first, you will have all types of "xbox" machines , which may comes with different specs and also built quality.
secondly, i know they probably use similar specs but i have a feeling game development for Xbox will be hell for devs.
third, these tech companies after sales customer service are not that great.

gg xbox owners.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

The third party hardware manufacturers aren’t Microsoft, they don’t have the same luxuries, nor do they get a cut from Microsoft for software sales. Third parties pay Microsoft to have Windows on their machines, it is not given away for free.

If contrary to Steam machines, Microsoft makes a platform (mainboard/RAM/APU) where all OEMs buy it rather than their own solution, then prices could go down even further and some OEMs might be cheaper than reference, depending on the build quality MS puts in. Could also be the ref MSRP like GPU ref cards and OEMs more expensive. Microsoft can leverage expanding their OS and get revenue from subscription and app stores for lower platform prices too.

Point is Valve did fuck all for Steam machines. They set a minimum spec requirement from dedicated PC parts and told OEMs good luck in the arena. Almost DIY territory here.

I don't even believe the OEM twist that much to be honest but one thing for sure, MS is making a console/portable on windows platform. I still think they're off to do more like a Steam deck as in a single product entity and if competition wants in, well its open to compete, it's PC 🤷‍♂️

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
this is a major issue for microsoft.
first, you will have all types of "xbox" machines , which may comes with different specs and also built quality.
secondly, i know they probably use similar specs but i have a feeling game development for Xbox will be hell for devs.
third, these tech companies after sales customer service are not that great.

gg xbox owners.
A lot of good quality PC builders out there as well with great customer support and likely only dealing with 1 spec

The focus shouldn't be on what might be the pitfalls because this is happening, the focus should be on less than stellar games that have massive appeal with great IPs

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If contrary to Steam machines, Microsoft makes a platform (mainboard/RAM/APU) where all OEMs buy it rather than their own solution, then prices could go down even further and some OEMs might be cheaper than reference, depending on the build quality MS puts in. Could also be the ref MSRP like GPU ref cards and OEMs more expensive. Microsoft can leverage expanding their OS and get revenue from subscription and app stores for lower platform prices too.

Point is Valve did fuck all for Steam machines. They set a minimum spec requirement from dedicated PC parts and told OEMs good luck in the arena. Almost DIY territory here.

I don't even believe the OEM twist that much to be honest but one thing for sure, MS is making a console/portable on windows platform. I still think they're off to do more like a Steam deck as in a single product entity and if competition wants in, well its open to compete, it's PC 🤷‍♂️
Why not just mention the MSRP that you think MS and OEM will charge for these devices?

Top Bottom