• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next Xbox has a heavy Windows slant and will be a reference device for manufacturers making devices like the ASUS ROG Ally most likely.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Hilarious how this guy makes matter of fact statements and then says it was just "speculation" after someone quotes him on it.

I find it notable that he only specifically responded with a comment about the Surface team taking a "more active role", with "they've always done it". Interesting how he glossed over the part about reference hardware.

On that point, it appears the way that some people are interpreting this is that they plan to make a console and a handheld as products, that are also reference devices for other manufacturer's to make their own Xbox systems.

My only reaction to this is: why? What was the purpose of licensing out the tech to make a system if you're still gonna make your own? Wasn't the point because you want to get out of hardware? Can someone explain a possible motive for doing both?

Ok fine and shit but now it is time to come up with a new name since Xbox is now absolete.

Xbox was (Direct)Xbox as in a physical device. That is no longer the case so come up with a new name that makes sense.
Xbox isnt it. Xbox as a console is dead.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Ok fine and shit but now it is time to come up with a new name since Xbox is now absolete.

Xbox was (Direct)Xbox as in a physical device. That is no longer the case so come up with a new name that makes sense.
Xbox isnt it. Xbox as a console is dead.

I agree they might need a new name, but not because it doesn't refer to Direct X or a physical box. Just because the brand is hurting. It's a shame too, because they had immense momentum through 360, and creating a strong video game brand doesn't happen easily.

I agree they might need a new name, but not because it doesn't refer to Direct X or a physical box. Just because the brand is hurting. It's a shame too, because they had immense momentum through 360, and creating a strong video game brand doesn't happen easily.
Yup. The name Xbox is a painful reminder of how MS slit their own throat.

Rebrand, axe everyone responsible for the latest fiascos and start anew.

Out with the compulsive liar Phil and his team of backstabbers. Ditch the shills (Jez, TimDog etc). Just press the reset button.

BlackTron

Gold Member

Out with the compulsive liar Phil and his team of backstabbers. Ditch the shills (Jez, TimDog etc). Just press the reset button.

We all know most of this won't happen. Sure everyone else might get fired, but the leaders will stay, perhaps with less freedom and new direction from above. I also doubt they will ditch Xbox. They figure they have put too much into it already to abandon it. Sunk cost fallacy

Stafford

TimDog has jumped ship and has been basically sucking off PS at every opportunity, embarrassing. He's basically another CrapGamer.

Ev1L AuRoN

Microsoft has a better chance to face Sony and Nintendo than Steam, if they make Xbox a custom PC that runs steam, they will die out in direct sales, game pass will be their bread and butter, and we all know by now that this service ain't profitable, and it is unlikely to be in the future, specially without a console to drive sales. Microsoft will become a third party, they are just too arrogant to admit it right now.

gokurho

Indeed. Who knew that Nintendo and Valve would cease to exist! :p
Damn I missed the consoles that are directly competing with the PS5

Paul Rudd Reaction GIF

Xbox doesn't deserve a participation ribbon.

They were barely competing with PlayStation for the last 10 years and the moves they did make to try to compete ended up destroying the fucking brand.

Also, if they succeed with pressuring everything to be a subscription, they could have literally destroyed the entire industry and people are thankfully starting to see that now.

I know people want to fantasize about this doom scenario with PlayStation, but I just don't see it happening. The market is different now and they won't be able to be tyrannical without repercussions as easily as they could in the past.

Considering the software sales (and hardware sales) delta between Playstation and Xbox, I actually think developers might be happy only having to develop for Playstation and PC (Nintendo/PC, etc).

Right now they (sometimes) have to develop for PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Series S, Series X and PC (and even Nintendo sometimes).

That's alot of work for a console that averages about 40M sales every generation with a fanbase that doesn't actually buy games anymore.

This might actually bring stability to the industry right now, having a more unified base (that actually buys games) allowing for more creativity and maybe a bit less development time.

The PS2 was one of the most creative consoles (software wise) and it had little to no competition.

Nintendo is also experiencing lots of success with little to no competition in the handheld space and has tons of great software.

Steam also has little to no competition and is loved by many PC users.

I might be wrong, but I think them leaving hardware (eventually) might be a blessing in disguise. They were kind of over crowding the place, while bringing bad (potentially dangerous) ideas to the table out of pure desperation with no real vision and zero consistency.
Shrugs GIF

We'll see what happens...
13645435523_518bc34d06_b.jpg

Our competitors are google and Amazon🤗
Nintendo and Sony are somewhat out of position😅

Fredrik

It is my speculation that MS is working towards gaming where it is not limited by local hardware but tapping into computational power of AI through the CLOUD. Remember cloud gaming? Both AI and cloud is the future where developers can tap into almost unlimited computational power. A traditional console box form factor is going to be dead, just 2-3 generations more at best. Xbox branding-marketing is dead, but gaming isnt. We will see realism at a much-accelerated pace with MS.

ARM is also the future for mobile gaming with 5G connection and soon 6G.

OEMS can also contribute by releasing their own proprietary technology that can offer unique game experiences such as: controllers, VR headsets, Augmented Reality, etc.

The possibilities are all there, and being locked into comparing to Sony or even Nintendo is just constraining yourself. Things have changed and evolved drastically.

I think the future looks bright. Something must die in order to give birth to something new, otherwise it's going to drag and drown you.
I don’t think the future looks bright at all, quite the opposite.

But I mean yeah they’re doing it for the money, they want to reach more people, and short-term they’ll do that, short-term it’ll be a good change. But long-term they’re doing this at the cost of their platform. Which once dead will also kill their subscription when there is no platform to push it, it’s not like Valve is going to allow Gamepass ads in Steam. And people on PC don’t want to exit Steam and log in with a Gamepass or Xbox account anymore than a Playstation account. So… well, good luck I guess.

twilo99

Valve didn't mass produce steam machines, they made like 300 of them and gave it away almost. They relied on 3rd parties to do the rest. It flopped, I wonder why hmm...

Microsoft wouldn't make 300 devices and call it a day. Mass production is what drives prices down.

The reference device would certainly be mass produced.

I’m really not sure how OEMs will be able to compete..

There just isn't a market for a console at the price point this thing is aiming to come in at. Everyone is aware of this. This isn't gonna be some mass consumer thing.

MS' bet is that with enough 'Xbox's' on the market from a variety of makers, that perhaps they'll be able to get some reasonable marketshare at least as a digital eco, but seeing the approach that other devices like the ASUS Rog have had in terms of impact, and given that things like the Steam Deck are only going to grow their market footprint, I really doubt MS has any room to grow something reasonable here.
Let me think,a $1000-$1200 console PC hybrid that is NOT upgradeable running a watered down version of Windows,what could go wrong? The series X was not selling at $500 but people are going to buy this PC Xbox at a much higher price?????

Oppoi

If you know something then do tell. Or are you silenced under some NDA?

Reference device for me essentially means Steam Machine but with a Windows based OS instead of Linux based Steam OS. Overthinking?
Perhaps it's all about that new Windows optimized for handhelds?

Fredrik

Perhaps it's all about that new Windows optimized for handhelds?
Windows for ARM? Yeah maybe. And that would fail, just another niche bubble with a small userbase. If they don’t have exclusives to drive people there then everything they do will fail. They don’t seem to understand this.

Oppoi

Windows for ARM? Yeah maybe. And that would fail, just another niche bubble with a small userbase. If they don’t have exclusives to drive people there then everything they do will fail. They don’t seem to understand this.
I do think it's necessary though, navigating Windows on a small screen with to boot thumbsticks isn't ever going to fly with the masses. It's funny that thanks to Steam Deck Linux has now traded places with Windows in accessibility for these devices.

Fredrik

I do think it's necessary though, navigating Windows on a small screen with to boot thumbsticks isn't ever going to fly with the masses. It's funny that thanks to Steam Deck Linux has now traded places with Windows in accessibility for these devices.
They just need a good big picture mode for normal Windows. Shouldn’t be too hard. They’re always close to get things right but always stumbles in the end, goes for everything they do. Right now if you use Steam Big Picture mode, which works perfectly, you need a keyboard and mouse as soon as you minimize Steam. Instantly takes you out of a perfect living room gaming experience.

StereoVsn

I find it notable that he only specifically responded with a comment about the Surface team taking a "more active role", with "they've always done it". Interesting how he glossed over the part about reference hardware.

On that point, it appears the way that some people are interpreting this is that they plan to make a console and a handheld as products, that are also reference devices for other manufacturer's to make their own Xbox systems.

My only reaction to this is: why? What was the purpose of licensing out the tech to make a system if you're still gonna make your own? Wasn't the point because you want to get out of hardware? Can someone explain a possible motive for doing both?
Maybe they will license Xbox OS and will take a cut of the sold games somehow? Only way I can think of the whole thing making any sense.

GustavoLT

Next Xbox should be called "Windows Xbox" and have an developer program that would let you develop homebrew for it!!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I just want to know what their implementation is going to be.

Is it just Windows and they'll brand the device w/ "Xbox" which they've talked about for years as being a brand that extends to PC?

Is it dual boot with a slick BIOS interface for switching?

Are they going to try to run Xbox games inside some sort of container in Windows? (that seems real sketchy considering what people can have running in Windows, but could be done, I mean Valve does it with Windows games on Linux)

Or maybe some implementation of the opposite, running Windows games from w/i Xbox OS (again, seems sketchy, Windows is a completely open platform and there's no great way to just magically have games running w/o just fully running Windows)

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
Maybe they will license Xbox OS and will take a cut of the sold games somehow? Only way I can think of the whole thing making any sense.

There's no question that if they sell Xbox games, they're being sold in the Xbox ecosystem. The point is, why do it on a licensed third party hardware when a first party one exists?

Say Nintendo kept making Switch but also licensed production of Switch units to Asus. What exactly is the motive for Nintendo to want this? (Not for Asus)

I'm not seeing a reason to license it out, unless they're just done with hardware and pivoting away from it. If they still have their own systems, then they're just pursuing making their own competition. Why bother with the costs when your third party partners deal with it already.

StereoVsn

There's no question that if they sell Xbox games, they're being sold in the Xbox ecosystem. The point is, why do it on a licensed third party hardware when a first party one exists?

Say Nintendo kept making Switch but also licensed production of Switch units to Asus. What exactly is the motive for Nintendo to want this? (Not for Asus)

I'm not seeing a reason to license it out, unless they're just done with hardware and pivoting away from it. If they still have their own systems, then they're just pursuing making their own competition. Why bother with the costs when your third party partners deal with it already.
They make overpriced Surface hardware and million other companies sell Windows PCs. This could be the same thing basically where MS doesn’t want to compete on hardware side anymore other than on the very high end.

Bond007

I have no interest in anything Xbox at this point. There is no direction and its a sinking ship.
Consoles arent dying- Xbox is. I will eventually get all their games on competing consoles- and shit they are already on PC anyway. It literally serves no purpose to me anymore.
XSX is my last.

I wont get suckered into some niche product either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom