• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Thought this thread might be a good place to ask this question. I recently did the small mod to the rumble pak to negate using batteries in it from now on. It seems to be working fine so far, but just wondering of there are any potential problems it might cause...or even damage it could do?

It works just the same so far, and if there are no problems then I'm lost as to why Nintendo didn't manufacture it this way in the first place. Thanks

koopas

Thought this thread might be a good place to ask this question. I recently did the small mod to the rumble pak to negate using batteries in it from now on. It seems to be working fine so far, but just wondering of there are any potential problems it might cause...or even damage it could do?

It works just the same so far, and if there are no problems then I'm lost as to why Nintendo didn't manufacture it this way in the first place. Thanks

Mind explaining this further, does the rumble pack draw from the controller to power it?

Because the controller ports don't have enough amperage for 4 of them hooked up (one for each controller port) instead of risking blowing something in the system for outlying cases, they went with the safer yet more environmentally hazardous route.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=43419

Gives rather spartan instructions on how to accomplish it and the pros/cons.

I've performed this mod too and everything works fine as long as you just use the modified Rumble Pak in one controller at a time.

Here's a video explaining how to do the mod.

http://youtu.be/yEn6LT4DUNA

When I did it I removed the resistor completely and just used a straight piece of wire.

Thanks chaps. Obvious answer really, but didn't occur to me of the problems that might happen if you had four of them plugged in at once. Great little mod to do though for the convenience of losing the batteries.

I'm reading about how the micomsoft thing can make NES/SNES look great, but does this sort of thing work on N64? Is there a way to achieve emulator-like video quality on the original hardware displayed onto an HDTV using an upscaler of some sort?

No. N64 emulation renders at a way higher resolution than the N64 could ever hope to achieve.

It'd still be a cleaner image, though.

Iorv3th

Anyone ever seen one of these? Found it at a pawn shop for a dollar a while back.

oAlwNxz.jpg

ac0QFfK.jpg

Coreda

Wow, nice snag. I don't know much about the value or anything but this page has some nice information about the differences between it and the actual game.

Found a fun poem on that site that Nintendo made for Christmas in 2000 that made me smile:

Twas the month before Christmas and all through the nation
Gamers gave up on that brand new Playstation;
The orders were stacked up at retail with care,
But the merchants all knew Sony wouldn't be there.
The players were nestled in front of their screens,
The pie-eyed young tots and the discouraged teens,
This promised to be one distraught holiday,
Without something new interactive to play.

When down at the mall there arose such a clatter
I leaped from my chair to see what was the matter.
And what to my wondering eyes should appear
But a sleigh full of thrills -- filled with Nintendo gear!

With a little old driver with presents in tow,
I knew in a moment -- my man, Mario!
A bundle of games he had draped on his back,
"If you want to save Christmas, just open this sack!"

With a wink of his eye and a pull at his `stache,
He answered my fears of a holiday crash,
One yellow and chubby, then a mouse, then an elf,
Then a bear and a bird -- and I cheered to myself.

"If your dream is adventure, then we're up to the task --
Our best Zelda ever, called Majora's Mask.
The country's best seller beginning day one,
Competitors just can't compete with this fun!"

"With Disney we're setting a blistering pace
As Mickey's Speedway USA leads the race.
Or how `bout the industry's first breakthrough brand?
Donkey Kong Country in the palm of your hand."

"And Banjo who soared with his partner Kazooie,
Take separate paths in a sequel called Tooie."
He had a kind face, and a look in his eyes
Then promised the ultimate retailer's prize.

"If Pokemon fun is your holiday choice,
Watch Pikachu leap in response to your voice.
And nothing before boasts performance this bold:
The hottest games ever -- Pokemon Silver and Gold!"

"Now Marrill, now Magmar, now Hoothoot and Staryu,
On Snubbull, on Snorlax, on Squirtle and Mewtwo!
To the top of the charts, to the top of the wall,
Now dash away, dash away, dash away all!"

Then he sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a cheer,
"The real transition will happen next year!"
And I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight,
"We said we'd save Christmas -- and Nintendo was right!"

Seik

Banned
Are most people playing N64 games via PC emulation nowadays?

I don't know for sure, but I do. I'm not a purist enough to plug my N64 each time I want to snap in a game, unless the game in question is buggy with the emulator.

Emulator + OG controller USB adapter + OG controller w/Modified Joystick = pure N64 goodness with good IQ.

elektrixx

Banned
Are most people playing N64 games via PC emulation nowadays?
I used to love playing games at HD 16:9 but in the end the emulation wasn't accurate enough for me. Now I want it the other way; modding my N64 to get all the benefits while games still run right.

I need to consolidate my game saves between N64 and PC. Assuming it's possible, I'll do it eventually with a Retrode.

N64 emulation is still wildly inaccurate, poorly implemented and by far the worst way of playing the majority of N64 titles.
Super Smash Bros., Wave Race 64 and F-Zero X are all pretty good when I use Project 64. I've got the original cartridges for those games and I even have them on my Wii. However, I'm thinking about building a PC just for retro gaming and hooking it up to my 40 inch HDTV. Anybody want to recommend a good graphics card?

Rich!

Super Smash Bros., Wave Race 64 and F-Zero X are all pretty good when I use Project 64. I've got the original cartridges for those games and I even have them on my Wii. However, I'm thinking about building a PC just for retro gaming and hooking it up to my 40 inch HDTV. Anybody want to recommend a good graphics card?

GeForce Titan x2 SLI

Rich!

Heh just a Radeon will do. Get a second hand 6970, which is what I have.

I can play through F Zero GX and Donkey Kong Country Returns at 1080p locked 60fps (but that's more processor than anything with dolphin)

Dolphin emulation is almost entirely CPU dependent, you need an unlocked Intel CPU running at higher clock speeds to get the most out of it.

Rich!

Dolphin emulation is almost entirely CPU dependent, you need an unlocked Intel CPU running at higher clock speeds to get the most out of it.

yep.

On my old AMD Phenom X4 955 (3.8ghz), the only game I could run at decent speeds was (surprisingly) Xenoblade - and it sounded like a fucking jet engine when doing so. Now I have an i7 3.4ghz overclocked to 4ghz, and it runs pretty much anything I throw at it.

It's awesome. Same graphics card for both builds.

I'm an avid N64 collector with about 90 cartridges in my library of games but my feeling is that going forward the N64 collecting scene is going to start dying off. First of all, the controller counterfeiters have left a very bad taste in many people's mouths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI7qYquQosM

Also, most cartridges are overpriced relative to the supply and demand law of economics. This scenario has always lead to crashes in the past and I'm sure that the N64 market is no exception.

The biggest threat to N64 collecting is the fact that the original console is not practical in our present world where standard definition televisions have become obsolete. Emulation via the Wii, Wii U or PC now offers a better experience in many respects as the games look infinitely better on HDTV's and computer monitors.

Just in case you're curious; no, I'll never sell off my N64 collection. Not even for a million dollars. ; )

3bdelilah

Banned
A year or two ago, my little brother sold ny N64 with a couple of games like SM64, TLoZ OoT and Banjo-Tooie for like 5 euros, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I went looking if I could find other one with the same games, but they go for 100 euros or even more.

-KRS-

Huh, I had no idea there had been counterfeit controllers made. But I guess it's understandable when it's for rare versions like that.

And games have become overpriced on all retro consoles. In fact I feel that the N64 hasn't yet become as affected by this recent uptrend in prices as the NES and SNES have been.

Also regarding HDTVs and N64s, didn't the guy behind the 64drive flashcart start working on an HDMI mod for the N64? Anyone know how that's going? Seemed really promising.

I used to play exclusively in emulation, after about 2 years of not playing much retro games I had a huge itch to play Shadows Of The Empire, I installed Project 64 and gave it a try.

Jesus I did not remember emulation being so bad for N64, I had to mess with setting for hours just to make it playable, it had tons and tons of glitches, I played the game to completion but it really left a bad taste in my mouth.

On the other hand, I got Zelda Majors Mask and Ocarina of time to run nicely on Triple Screens with the correct FOV, its amazing.

What I am saying is that its a very inconsistent experience, and its a hassle and a half getting stuff to run, totally worth it though, for Shadows of the Empire, I wish I had an old PC so I could play the PC version.

-KRS-

Yes N64 emulation is not cycle accurate so what they do is they hack support into the emulator for specific games, usually the popular titles like Zelda and GoldenEye etc, so that they will run and look great or even better than on original hardware. The games that have not had optimization hacks done in the emu will run like shit though, or not run at all. There was talk about a cycle accurate N64 emu a while back but I don't know if anything came out of that.

Coreda

Yes N64 emulation is not cycle accurate so what they do is they hack support into the emulator for specific games, usually the popular titles like Zelda and GoldenEye etc, so that they will run and look great or even better than on original hardware. The games that have not had optimization hacks done in the emu will run like shit though, or not run at all. There was talk about a cycle accurate N64 emu a while back but I don't know if anything came out of that.

It's still in active development. Posted an update about it a few pages back with some screenshots and videos.

-KRS-

Oh cool. I must've missed that. Great that development is ongoing. We desperately need better N64 emulators. And it seems to be open source as well. Even better!

Out of my favorite N64 games the only one I still play consistently on the actually hardware is Killer Instinct Gold. It's not available on Nintendo's Virtual Console service and the Project 64 emulation for it stinks.

blurrygil

Anyone ever seen one of these? Found it at a pawn shop for a dollar a while back.

oAlwNxz.jpg

ac0QFfK.jpg

Nice! Those are pretty rare. They range from $100 - $500, I figure. It's quite different due to the monochrome-style label. Whereas nearly all other demos or sample carts were the full-color of the final box or title art.

I'm an avid N64 collector with about 90 cartridges in my library of games but my feeling is that going forward the N64 collecting scene is going to start dying off. First of all, the controller counterfeiters have left a very bad taste in many people's mouths.

Also, most cartridges are overpriced relative to the supply and demand law of economics. This scenario has always lead to crashes in the past and I'm sure that the N64 market is no exception.

The biggest threat to N64 collecting is the fact that the original console is not practical in our present world where standard definition televisions have become obsolete. Emulation via the Wii, Wii U or PC now offers a better experience in many respects as the games look infinitely better on HDTV's and computer monitors.

Just in case you're curious; no, I'll never sell off my N64 collection. Not even for a million dollars. ; )

Really? I know that boxed copies command a premium but it seems like cart prices are already extremely low. There are a few exceptions, but most carts average <=$30 and are readily available. Compared to NES/SNES/Saturn/etc collecting, N64 games are extremely cheap.

You're absolutely spot on about the TV situation though. N64 is THE WORST on modern displays. I got my SD CRT almost solely for N64 gaming.

You're absolutely spot on about the TV situation though. N64 is THE WORST on modern displays. I got my SD CRT almost solely for N64 gaming.
I have my N64 connected to a standard definition set too but many people are now claiming to find that inconvenient. Also, many people are saying that the N64 looks horrible on their HDTV even with S-Video.

Rich!

Also, many people are saying that the N64 looks horrible on their HDTV even with S-Video.

lol, that's because it does. My RGB modded console looks fucking god-awful on my HDTV, but very nice on a CRT. My framemeister should improve that situation tenfold when I pick it up tomorrow.

I have my N64 connected to a standard definition set too but many people are now claiming to find that inconvenient. Also, many people are saying that the N64 looks horrible on their HDTV even with S-Video.

I have a tube HDTV, and for N64 games it duplicates scanlines to fill up the extra resolution, making the games look like chunky bullshit. It was most obvious to me on the WCW/NWO Revenge legal screen: my SDTV renders the white lettering great, but the HDTV turns it into an unreadable mess. It happens on other classic systems too, but N64 is the absolute worst. I am running S-video through my SD set though...big improvement.

To be fair, SDTVs are a pain in the ass if you want a larger set. My 32" console took 3 adult men and a Ford F250 to get it fifteen miles to my house.

Rich!

To be fair, SDTVs are a pain in the ass if you want a larger set. My 32" console took 3 adult men and a Ford F250 to get it fifteen miles to my house.

I managed to get my 29" CRT to my house, out of the car and up the stairs by myself. I don't know how I'm still alive.

Ikki

Banned
Out of my favorite N64 games the only one I still play consistently on the actually hardware is Killer Instinct Gold. It's not available on Nintendo's Virtual Console service and the Project 64 emulation for it stinks.

I managed to get a CIB copy not too long ago, and shorty thereafter decided to start collecting N64 games.

I managed to get my 29" CRT to my house, out of the car and up the stairs by myself. I don't know how I'm still alive.

Damn son, I had a 27" Toshiba for a while and although I could get it around myself it was a bitch. If it didn't have built in handles I don't know what I would've done.

The main thing that make my current Trinitron so heavy is that it's a wood console with integrated speakers/wheels/etc. More of a piece of furniture than a TV. The colors are slightly muted and the geometry is off but it just has this presence in the room that I love. My only regret is that it's 32" instead of 36", but if it were any bigger I don't think it would've fit through the front door. S-video looks totally boss on it.

I hate to be that guy, but I'll ask again: does anyone know how easy it is to score a fixed copy of WWF No Mercy?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
wRxNcK2.jpg

giving my n64 collection a bit of a kickstart. my copies of mario64 and yukeyuke trouble makers were getting lonely. :p

the ultimate goal will be a 64dd with fzx expansion kit. someday...

Seik

Banned
Each times I see these JAP boxes I want to double dip for JAP copies.

So clean, so perfectly perfect. I just have S&P, OoT and Ogre Battle but all those boxes are good stuff.

IrishNinja

Each times I see these JAP boxes I want to double dip for JAP copies.

So clean, so perfectly perfect. I just have S&P, OoT and Ogre Battle but all those boxes are good stuff.

they're like the perfect ratio of actual art vs logos: crazy colorful & literally seem to jump out at you, too. like, just those 3 are dying to be booted up & played.

wRxNcK2.jpg

giving my n64 collection a bit of a kickstart. my copies of mario64 and yukeyuke trouble makers were getting lonely. :p

the ultimate goal will be a 64dd with fzx expansion kit. someday...

Ah! Beautiful JP boxes! My ex lost my F-Zero X box back in the day :( I wish NOA kept the vertical design over here so we could have classy looking art too. My other JP favorite is Mario 64.

JP version of MarioKart is totally worth it just for the "proper" advertising boards around the tracks.

Talking of emulation, I' have never been able to get Pilotwings to work properly on Project 64 - hence me digging out my cartridges and getting an RGB modded console. One of my favourite all time games.

Man, the day I rushed to the import store here in the U.K when they got the U.S N64's in is a day I'll never forget. Had to do a 200 mile round trip to go collect it.

Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 must be one of the best launch line ups I ever purchased.

Top Bottom