• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Rich!

Got this today in the post! Gambled on it as I had no idea of the quality (no reviews online I could find), but its hori, and it was £4 plus a fiver shipping from Japan

tmp_19808-_20160609_1c6xnx.jpg

It's amazing. Comfortable to hold, great dpad, the A and B buttons are perfectly placed, the shoulder buttons have a nice microswitch click to them and, most importantly of all, the stick is as good as new despite seemingly being used a considerable amount...which means it's gonna last.

Anth0ny

I always imagine in my head that a N64 controller without the long prongs on each side would be uncomfortable as fuck

but it's probably all in my head. everything else about that hori controller looks great.

Rich!

I always imagine in my head that a N64 controller without the long prongs on each side would be uncomfortable as fuck

but it's probably all in my head. everything else about that hori controller looks great.

I thought that would be the case too, but it's basically like a mega drive pad. It's angled at the other side to fit the contours of your hand and the a and B buttons are shifted up to take the different grip into account:

See how my thumb rests perfectly on the A and B buttons - the grip is fine. Underside:

Anyhow, I recommend it. Along with the fantastic Competition Pro controller of course.

Got this today in the post! Gambled on it as I had no idea of the quality (no reviews online I could find), but its hori, and it was £4 plus a fiver shipping from Japan

tmp_19808-_20160609_1c6xnx.jpg

It's amazing. Comfortable to hold, great dpad, the A and B buttons are perfectly placed, the shoulder buttons have a nice microswitch click to them and, most importantly of all, the stick is as good as new despite seemingly being used a considerable amount...which means it's gonna last.
Based on this, I went ahead and ordered a green one to try out.

...though it was $15.99 plus $16 shipping, for a total of $31.99 (I had the option for $10 cheaper shipping, if I wanted to pass up on insurance and a shipping number, but I decided not to chance it). That's £22.42, about twice what Rich paid. (...but it's green!)

Palmer27

Can anyone recommend an easy to get into/still nice and playable n64 game I can emulate on my extremely-prone-to-over-heating macbookpro please? Starfox 64 would scratch that itch if I hadn't already had my fill with the remake.

Rongolian

Banned
Just took these, left is normal and right is no AA.
jfiBCL.png
hlpT8A.png

Is that true? In this case I think the left image looks much better, the right Mario looks more jagged, less crisp.

In any case, scanlines are almost necessary for viewing N64 games anyway.

I need either an N64 controller for my PC or a USB adapter for my N64 controllers.

Recommendations, GAF?

What the hell my screen only shows coloured dots, which is guessing is the framework of the polygons when playing using Project 64 v1.6

AmyS

Dash to Honor 20th Anniversary of Nintendo 64:
RPi7XT7.jpg

On Thursday, the Winston-Salem Dash (High A; Carolina League) will celebrate the 20th anniversary of Nintendo 64 with an elaborate tribute. Several promotions and activities will be staged at BB&T Ballpark during the game, which begins at 7:00 p.m.

Fans will be able to play Nintendo 64 on the concourse behind the Customer Service Booth near Section 109. Several Nintendo-based characters will be on hand, including Mario and Luigi, the latter of whom will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.

A few between-inning contests and games will revolve around Nintendo 64, including a trivia contest and a special race. Two Dash players-Spencer Adams and Matt Cooper-will square off in a pre-recorded battle of Mario Kart.

Tickets for Thursday’s game are available by calling (336) 714-2287 or clicking here. It is also a Lowes Foods Thirsty Thursday, with $1 beers available through the seventh inning.

Nintendo 64 Night kicks off a jam-packed homestand for the Dash. On Friday, former Wake Forest All-American Chris Paul will make an appearance, and a spectacular fireworks show, presented by NC By Train, follows the game. Saturday is Energize the Ballpark Night, presented by Eanes Heating and Air, which features a postgame concert from Danny Gokey. Full details are available on wsdash.com.

http://ballparkdigest.com/2016/06/22/dash-to-honor-20th-anniversary-of-nintendo-64/

clem84

Gold Member
What is the best way to control N64 games? I've dusted off my N64 recently and started to play and discovered that analog sticks have come a long way in 20 years. :) The N64's analog stick is usable don't get me wrong, but it's a far cry from the sticks we have today. It's a little difficult to move around, and IMO the movement area is too big.

Anyway, I was wondering if there were other solutions to use with an N64. Have there been any converters/adapters that let you use other console's controllers on an N64? Being able to use a Gamecube controller on an N64 would be a godsend.

A little higher on this page I see the Hori N64 controller. Is this currently the best option?

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/

^^^^^^
Wow has anyone tried this?

Rich!

What is the best way to control N64 games? I've dusted off my N64 recently and started to play and discovered that analog sticks have come a long way in 20 years. :) The N64's analog stick is usable don't get me wrong, but it's a far cry from the sticks we have today. It's a little difficult to move around, and IMO the movement area is too big.

Anyway, I was wondering if there were other solutions to use with an N64. Have there been any converters/adapters that let you use other console's controllers on an N64? Being able to use a Gamecube controller on an N64 would be a godsend.

A little higher on this page I see the Hori N64 controller. Is this currently the best option?

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/

^^^^^^
Wow has anyone tried this?

I own one of those adapters. It's fantastic, works with wavebirds too.

Otherwise, the Hori Mini, Hori N64 Commander and the Competition Pro controllers are the best.

Personally, I think the Competition Pro pads are amazing. I've had numerous ones over the years, always been dirt cheap to buy and the sticks have always been rock solid and never wore out.

joy020.jpg

Rich!

I've never seen that before!

it's amazing. my N64 controller of choice from 2000 to this very day. The d-pad fucking sucks, but hey, it's for the N64!

The analog stick is basically the same as the official one, but somehow, it never wears down. I've had one white model which I bought pre-owned from a gamestation back in 2001 or so that is still as good as new. It's insane. And the controller is a little bit bulkier than the official pad, making it a bit nicer to hold.

They're easy to get hold of too, and cheap. I bought a brand new boxed green controller off ebay last year for £15.

Rich!

I got Donkey Kong 64 when it first came out, but I never finished it. I recently started a new file, and I just finished it with the full 101% completion. It feels good.

I managed that back in the day. It was awesome. Then I leant the cart to a kid at school and when I got it back it had three other save games on it.

There was no way he had wiped my saves and then replaced them with new ones as the hours didn't match up with the time he had it. I also noticed the cart label wasn't in as good condition as mine. He swapped the cart over with his. He stole my DK64 glory

I've never spoken to him since.

Anth0ny

Friends

I just bought a n64dd.

Besides the majoras mask adventure set, it has always been my ultimate holy grail of video game collecting.

So I ask... Now what? Do I experience doshin the giant? Or that f zero game where there's a sick remix of rainbow road?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Friends

I just bought a n64dd.

Besides the majoras mask adventure set, it has always been my ultimate holy grail of video game collecting.

So I ask... Now what? Do I experience doshin the giant? Or that f zero game where there's a sick remix of rainbow road?

I would start right here!

Rich!

My V2 raphnet GameCube to N64 adapter came in today.

KMx4VFGh.jpg

Everyone should have one. Playing N64 games with a wavebird is awesome. And the control stick is perfectly mapped. Playing Mario 64 and F Zero X with it is fantastic.

If you have an Everdrive 64, there's a ROM that allows you to update the adapter and also apply any custom config or layout you wish.

Only downside is no rumble on wired GameCube controllers, but that's likely due to the extra power being utilised by the adapter.

Recall

I live in the UK and have my PAL N64.

I've just bought a Japanese N64 off of eBay.

What do I need to be able to power on the Japanese N64 without destroying it? Can I just plug in my PAL power supply and it be ok or do I need some converter/step down?

Thanks.

Top Bottom