• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Kokonoe

Banned
My favorite Gamecube games in no particular order

Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Sonic Adventure 2Battle
Sonic Adventure DX
Gauntlet Dark Legacy
WWE Day of Reckoning
WWE Day of Reckoning 2
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
Animal Crossing
Super Mario Sunshine
Pokemon Colosseum
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 4
TimeSplitters 2
Star Fox: Assault

Some other good but not 'favorite' games

Wario World
Sonic Heroes
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Pac-Man World Rally (best kart racer on the Gamecube)
Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix

Collections

Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Mega Man X Collection
Sonic Mega Collection
Zelda Collector's Edition (the one I sadly never owned)

Funny enough, although I don't collect games, I guess you could say I'm somewhat a collector since I own PSO and PSO Plus which are kinda pricey for Gamecube games.

Games I need to play

Baten Kaitos
Teen Titans
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Star Fox Adventures
Sonic Riders
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Kirby Air Ride
Tales of Symphonia (Give it another shot since I didn't get into it when I was younger)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (same thing as Symphonia)
Metroid Prime (I've played it just I lost my file and I didn't get far)
Mega Man X Command Mission (Playing this now and it's kind of fun!)
Phantasy Star Online: Episode III Card Revolution (I was pretty upset this was a completely different game, but I'm willing to give it a shot now with an open mind)

Porcile

WE6FE was amazing, but wasn't the PS2 version superior since the game didn't translate as well to the GC controller?

The lack of two shoulder buttons were an inconvenience but it never really bothered me too much. The Gamecube version ran silky smooth and looked a bit cleaner if I remember correctly.

-KRS-

Great thread. I've been meaning to round out my GC collection for a while now. It's not very large but I have some of the expensive ones which I bought new in stores, like Tales of Symphonia and Paper Mario 2. But there are still plenty of games I feel like I need to get. Like F-Zero... why haven't I bought that yet?!?! I'll have to post a photo next week.

We should made a list in the OP with all the games we think are the best for the console. We can help each other to find these obscure gems. Im at the start of my gamecube collection. I found a gamecube with a few of the best games for around 76USD (500 swedish crowns):

Whoa! That can NOT have been from an auction site right?

WhyMe6

I love the Gamecube! It's my favourite home console! I love the design of the console, its menu, its controller - everything is perfection.

Not including doubles, I have 84 GCN games, and there are still plenty more that I don't own, such as Giftpia, Donkey Konga 3, Summoner II, the two Megaman collections, and Megaman X Command Mission. The library is so wonderfully diverse <3 I also own three consoles - black launch (w/ Metroid Prime faceplate), purple backup, and orange love machine (photo below <3).

Photos:
PAL games + NTSC BK: Origins & Chibi Robo ~ [sorry about the night-time iPhone photo quality...I can write a list if anyone really wants to know :)]
1FuROzJ.jpg

Japanese games ~
B9Q4eCw.jpg

JZI4S9i.jpg

The Love Machine ~
io6fXii.jpg

spadge

I remember being at a friends house and he managed to yank his GC off a top shelf by the controller. The console fell face first, directly onto the controller ports. Smashed the grey bit at the front of the console, and permanently jammed the controllers in the ports.

And it still worked perfectly.
That thing was built like a tank.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You're fffffukttt

Long live Killer7.

My 'Cube library:

gamecube_zps0dc91dbc.jpg

There are a few things I'd like to get to finish it off, but otherwise it's pretty much complete.

I really enjoyed the system at the time, and it's leaps ahead of the Nintendo 64, but I really have to give it to Wii when it comes to GCN vs Wii. A few standouts like Viewtiful Joe make it seem like a closer fight than it really is.

Jackano

I loved the Gamecube. Never got the grand Goldeneye/Perfect Dark or even Mario Kart (IMO) but eventually it was a great multiplayer system just as the N64, thnaks to SmaBro.

The wavebird controller is a really good controller. Today, I will not exchange the Wii U subscreen but, the main buttons placement and shape was like that because of ergonomics, not because of mainstream design.

The Gamecube was also a great Zelda system, until the Wii came out. Some nice bonus disk to boost hardware sales and the japanese version of the second one (with the two NES and N64 Zeldas) given by the Club Nintendo is maybe one of the rarest Zelda items you can get!
legend-of-zelda-collection-club-nintendo-game-cube.jpg

Finally, I lost the thread but on NeoGAF we had someone who wanted to play Four Swords Adventure by replacing GBAs by a full set of 4 Gamecubes with GBA players... I eventually did it too last year! Unfortunately never plugged on the whole thing (I havn't 4 TVs) but I have all the shit needed and tested it in 2 players mode :)

DonMigs85

I remember being at a friends house and he managed to yank his GC off a top shelf by the controller. The console fell face first, directly onto the controller ports. Smashed the grey bit at the front of the console, and permanently jammed the controllers in the ports.

And it still worked perfectly.
That thing was built like a tank.

Good thing Microsoft invented those breakaway cords. A falling Xbox could kill a small child or pet

doemaaan

My current collection is pathetic because during that generation I used to trade in my games. All I'm left with is Smash, Wind Waker and that special edition of Ocarina of Time that came with a pre-order for Wind Waker. It included Master Quest. I did however buy Eternal Darkness sometime in 2011.

zigg

Those who can't find component cables and who have a capable TV would do well to consider S-Video. It's still interlaced, but because it separates the chrominance and luminance signals it's a much cleaner output method than composite, which combines them and creates that sawtooth effect. Big step up.

It's tragic that Wii seems to have shipped with such a low-quality output—both video and audio suffer. I believe I get better output from a GameCube on S-Video than a Wii running the same game at 480p.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
GB Player is the best GC game.
Using an OG GBA as a controller via the GBA/GC link cable? Man you're in favor country.

Go319

I posted in a GC thread a few weeks ago that I just bought a new set of official GC component cables from NAL simply by calling them up and ordering.

I was charged $46AUD inc postage. Took about a week to arrive.

Its one set per household so I cant order in bulk for GAF sorry. I know another gaffer got a set after I posted that i ordered mine the same way.

So any Aussies and NZ's that need the cables, NAL is still selling them direct.

Gamecube, man gamecube.. sometimes I think I hit a peak or was just as high as I could be from videogames during its time. I guess it was the whole n64->GC graphical jump with Nintendo characters. (Wii I going to re-ignite that flame I know it) Even though I had a dreamcast before it man..the first time I put melee in it was like I found the best shit ever. Till this day melee is arguably my most favorite game. The first time playing it..gosh the music like dk rap on the dk level was so mindblowing to me, the stitching on mario overalls got me so bad. The gamecube was great for that. I was playing games and having fun. I didnt even know it sold poorly or anything my child mind was just thinking things were normal. I saw it drop to 99$ and was like oh Nintendo making a good deal for people, which it was lol.

I remember when I got it was for a birthday gift and my parents took me to walmart and I was just standing up. Waiting to get that cube(came with free metroid prime). My dad was like, "You know you can get the xbox or the ps2 if you want. Price is not a problem." I was like I know..I want the gamecube though :)

IrishNinja

I posted in a GC thread a few weeks ago that I just bought a new set of official GC component cables from NAL simply by calling them up and ordering.

Its one set per household so I cant order in bulk for GAF sorry. I know another gaffer got a set after I posted that i ordered mine the same way.

this is pretty big right here...would they work for a US GC? you might've found a GAF goldmine here!

iMax

Thanks, GAF. I haven't played my GameCube for nearly 10 years. It's coming back out. Right now.

Go319

this is pretty big right here...would they work for a US GC? you might've found a GAF goldmine here!

well i have two gamecubes, one PAL and one JP model that has a switch to play US games, my cable is working fine on either cube.

I dont think there is anything region-locked about the cables...

elektrixx

Banned
I've recently finished building my "perfect" GameCube. It took a while to find an Australian boxed indigo Game Boy Player as well as a boxed Aussie broadband thing but now it's sorted.

I've recently completed my N64 collection and just bought a NES so I'll soon be paying full attention to finding a component cable.

IrishNinja

well i have two gamecubes, one PAL and one JP model that has a switch to play US games, my cable is working fine on either cube.

I dont think there is anything region-locked about the cables...

damn...that just means you need an AU address to get GC component cables for less than $50 - and they easily go for double that on ebay. surprised more people aren't talking about this!

JMPerona

Those who can't find component cables and who have a capable TV would do well to consider S-Video. It's still interlaced, but because it separates the chrominance and luminance signals it's a much cleaner output method than composite, which combines them and creates that sawtooth effect. Big step up.

It's tragic that Wii seems to have shipped with such a low-quality output—both video and audio suffer. I believe I get better output from a GameCube on S-Video than a Wii running the same game at 480p.

So this can help the gamecube to output a better image in my hdtv? I will buy one S-video. Any recomendation?

I have an European Metroid Prime Gamecube.
It has Component output but it's useless because the cable was never released here and so none of the games support 480p.

Games I have
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Games I really want.
  • F-Zero GX
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  • Killer 7

I have all of my games back at my parents house in a closet. So I can't post my collection.

Still, loved the GC, would've loved it even more if it had a bigger controller and better Analog Sticks.

Deku Tree

I used to have a huge GC collection. I owned Xbox, PS2 and GC. But my GC collection was basically all it's good games and some others too. My games collections on the other machines was much more limited. That was a great time to be a gamer.

I also had a couple of third party 6ft GC controller extension cables. LOL. The controllers cables were too short and I felt like the Wavebird would not be responsive enought for me with games like F-Zero GX.

I would rebuy lots of GC classics on Wii U even with Nintendos awful digital system if they offered them.

sphinx

the piano man
I am a declared huge gamecube fanboy, I loved it more as a grown up than the NES back when I was a kid.

basically the reason why I am still into gaming.

My collection (PAL):

1080 Avalance
Animal Crossing
Beyond Good & Evil
Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg
Donkey Konga
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Doshin the Giant
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
F-Zero GX
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Freedom Fighters
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Killer 7
King Kong
Kururin Squash! (JPN)
Lost Kingdoms
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
P.N.03
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Pikmin
Pikmin 2 (USA)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 4
Soul Calibur II
Star Fox Adventures
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Monkey Ball
Super Smash Bros. Melee
The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Virtua Striker 3 - 2002 Edition
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Games
Wave Race: Blue Storm

Fox Mulder

I still need to pick up a couple of GBAs to play the multiplayer stuff. That always sounded like a really cool and absurd thing to add to a console.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have a decent number of GCN games, own most of the ones you "should" have. Also have a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends, which I believe is somewhat hard to come by (?).

Saddens me that PAL GCN games offer no 480p output. The PAL GCN itself can do it just fine, but the games don't have the feature. Instead, holding B lets you switch from 576i50 (the default for PAL games) to 480i60 in some games.

Holy shit, I thought about calling NAL but just never did it because I assumed they'd have been out of stock for so long it's not worth bothering.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be calling them tomorrow!

GeekyDad

Was the generation I began gaming with my kids. SSBM and Tales of Symphonia alone were enough to make that one of my favorite systems. My wife still goes into our daughter's room to play Harvest Moon or F-Zero GX every now and again.

Some of the best first-party stuff Nintendo has ever created belongs to that console...

DonMigs85

I'm surprised not too many of you had Rogue Leader or Rebel Strike... And I must be the only member who got R: Racing Evolution for the Cube (at least Pac-Man Vs. was a nice bonus)

Joqu

I'm in the process of replacing all my PAL Gamecube games with NTSC versions. It's quite painful for my wallet.

I'm surprised not too many of you had Rogue Leader or Rebel Strike... And I must be the only member who got R: Racing Evolution for the Cube (at least Pac-Man Vs. was a nice bonus)

I have Rogue leader :)

Edit: Also, is it true that Twin Snakes is pretty rare these days? If so I'm happy that I have it.

Also VERY happy with one of the best Cube games, Kururin Squash! Japan only I think.

Joqu

Speaking of games that didn't come to the states, Doshin The Giant is pretty fun in a weird way and PAL copies are really cheap.

Sold my component cable on ebay for $150! You collector types are nuts. Cheaper to just get a Wii to play them in 480p ;)

Love my cube though. And I'm gonna hold on to my spice orange controller. Tis boss.

Meelow

Banned
GameCube deserved better sales, amazing hardware and a good selection of games.

It makes me wonder what the Wii would of been like if the GameCube had PS2 sales or at least over 50 million.

Inotti

I'm in the process of replacing all my PAL Gamecube games with NTSC versions. It's quite painful for my wallet.

I sent you a private message. I'm doing the opposite and I still have a few NTSC games that I would be willing to trade to PAL versions. :)

Top Bottom