• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

ALSO, Double Dash is the best Mario Kart. No doubt. I STILL play it with friends sometimes, and we played it for 7 straight years, every weekend before going out. No multiplayer game comes close (perhaps Goldeneye)

Every Mario Kart since Double Dash feels barren. The courses aren't as good, and there's a lack of tactic that Double Dash has thanks to the two characters per kart.

tumblr_m7suktOh4A1rqsh2vo1_500.gif

The best.

IrishNinja

Speaking of games that didn't come to the states, Doshin The Giant is pretty fun in a weird way and PAL copies are really cheap.

picked mine up for like $2 in either ireland or the UK, i forget..it was a cool game, but i was only able to play it with my wii hacked to be region-free. maybe i should look into a free loader?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd totally buy another Gamecube if I could get some of those component cables, or even D-Terminal. Pretty sure NoA has been out for ages.

Mine died back in 2005 or so, disc motor stopped working so discs wouldn't spin. Fortunately I didn't get rid of my GCN stuff since the Wii works with everything except my Gameboy Player.

Lot of my games ended up getting ruined since my brothers were extremely careless with them. They'd get scratched to hell and sometimes discs were physically broken. This is what survived their wrath (and a couple games I've picked up more recently). Except F-Zero GX, this is actually my third copy of that game.

1gVJC7v.jpg

Gameboy415

I loved Gamecube! So many awesome multi-player memories. :)

Here's my current collection:

Games:

I have every first-party game released in the US and Japan. :D
I'm pretty sure I have every 3rd-party game I want for GC at this point as I seem to have bought most multi-platform games (Alien Hominid, Prince of Persia series, Mega Man collections, etc.) for PS2.

On an interesting note, Pac Man Vs/Pac Man World 2 is the only Greatest Hits/Player's Choice game I own from the GC/PS2/XBOX era.

For anyone curious, the import games are:
Battle Stadium D.O.N.
Dream Mix TV World Fighters
Donkey Konga (has a few different songs than the US release)
Donkey Konga 2 (^ ditto)
Donkey Konga 3 (JP-exclusive)
Giftpia
Kururin Squash!
Kyojin no Doshin
Nintendo Puzzle Collection
Mr. Driller Drill Land
PC Genjin
Takahashi Meijin No Boukenjima
Dragon Drive D-Masters Shot
Densetsu no Quiz Ouketteisen (above Dragon Drive)
(the US games obscured by my shelf are 1080 Avalanche, Mario Party 4 & 5, Sonic Heroes, & Sonic Riders)

Demos/Misc:

Controllers:

I found these Club Nintendo exclusive controllers for ~$20 a pop when I lived in Japan.
There were 3 additional CN controllers released (a Luigi wired controller, a dual-tone CN controller, and a CN Wavebird) but I never came across any of them unfortunately. :(
They're not pictured but I also have 4 pairs of Donkey Konga Bongos, the Odama microphone, and the DDR Mario Mix pad tucked away in my Game Room closet.

Consoles:

My launch GC (with GB Player & official Component Cables) is still going strong and I got the Panasonic Q during my time in Japan.

I also used to have the Japanese LE Metal Gear Solid Gamecube, complete-in-box with both Metal Gear discs, which I found at a used game store in Japan for 3980円(!!).
I paired it with an Official (Japanese) Component Cable (also CIB) I found for 1200円 and got $475 for the set on eBay a few years ago! :D

Joqu

picked mine up for like $2 in either ireland or the UK, i forget..it was a cool game, but i was only able to play it with my wii hacked to be region-free. maybe i should look into a free loader?

I use Datel's FreeLoader myself and I'm really happy with it.

And that's one nice collection, Gameboy415!

If I remember correctly the 480p doesn't work in PAL land. I remember considering buying the cable and importing all my games from the states just so that I had this feature. The only problem was I'd also need a dodgy TV as UK TVs only had SCART input. Which is what I eventually settled for. The original SCART though, no 3rd party crap.

That's another thing no matter how many features they put on 3rd party crap it's always poorer than original.

If I remember correctly the 480p doesn't work in PAL land. I remember considering buying the cable and importing all my games from the states just so that I had this feature. The only problem was I'd also need a dodgy TV as UK TVs only had SCART input. Which is what I eventually settled for. The original SCART though, no 3rd party crap.

That's another thing no matter how many features they put on 3rd party crap it's always poorer than original.

In addition to no 480p support, PAL Gamecubes don't Support S-Video either, but they do support RGB. NTSC Gamecubes don't support RGB, but they support S-Video. Both PAL and NTSC Gamecubes support YPbPr (Component video), but as mentioned before the PAL ones won't do 480p over component.

Correct me if I have any of that wrong.

madmackem

I bought launch japan unit, cost me around £500, i then bought a hacked rgb scart made from a component lead, then had it modded to play us games. Was the most i had ever paid for a games machine and it was well worth it. Cube had some amazing amazing games, i loved the pad loved the japanese cases, those small discs were also cool.

Chopper

In addition to no 480p support, PAL Gamecubes don't Support S-Video either, but they do support RGB. NTSC Gamecubes don't support RGB, but they support S-Video. Both PAL and NTSC Gamecubes support YPbPr (Component video), but as mentioned before the PAL ones won't do 480p over component.

Correct me if I have any of that wrong.
So, if I I'm in PAL-land and all my games are PAL, I literally have no use for one of the elusive component cables? So, what's the "best" way to view Gamecube games here then?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, if I I'm in PAL-land and all my games are PAL, I literally have no use for one of the elusive component cables? So, what's the "best" way to view Gamecube games here then?

Probably RGB/SCART. Even if the resolution is not improved the actual picture will be over coax/composite.

Likewise, for NA if somebody is not willing to splurge on component cables they should go with S-Video.

ALSO, Double Dash is the best Mario Kart. No doubt. I STILL play it with friends sometimes, and we played it for 7 straight years, every weekend before going out. No multiplayer game comes close (perhaps Goldeneye)

Every Mario Kart since Double Dash feels barren. The courses aren't as good, and there's a lack of tactic that Double Dash has thanks to the two characters per kart.
It's definitely the best console Mario Kart. I hope they have a Double Dash mode in MK WiiU.

Loved the GameCube. Used to collect back in the day and had over 150 games have since sold it all off except my Panasonic Q. A lot of games will be listed here but here's some less known titles that were exclusive to the GameCube and actually pretty great.

- Go Go Hypergrind
- Gotcha Force
- Beach Spikers
- Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
- Puyo Pop Fever
- Pacman Vs.
- Bust a Move 3000
- Ultimate Muscle

nan0

I bought a used GC late in its lifecycle, which brought me back into console gaming. I have only four games though, the Wind Waker Collector's Edition (with OoT and MQ), F-Zero GX, SMS and Wave Race BS.

Are there any games that are worth picking up and available at a reasonable price? I don't feel like spending 30 Euros on used games. The Metroid Primes seem to be cheap, but I already have the Trilogy.

Forkball

BEST GAME: Super Smash Bros. Melee
Game I am ashamed I played an obscene amount of: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Best somersaults: MGS Twin Snakes
Best Triforce hunt: Wind Waker
Best launch game: Rogue Leader
Best Dreamcast port/RPG/pirate game: Skies of Arcadia Legends
Most overrated: Tales of Symphonia
Most backtracking: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Best Phendrana Drifts moment: Metroid Prime
Best slavery simulator: Animal Crossing
Second best fighting game with Link: Soul Calibur II
Best dead franchise: Viewtiful Joe
Best Hey did you know From Software made a game for this?: Lost Kingdoms
Most underrated cartoonish soccer game: Sega Soccer Slam
Best Mario Party: I don't know they were all kinda the same why did I rent all of them...

GCN had a lot of gems. It's sad it never got enough third party support considering it was the last time Nintendo released a console that was graphically on par with its competitors.

I have many Japanese games for my GC, I immediately put the outer sleeves into storage and they 100% perfect condition, a lovely sight indeed. I'll take some photos and upload them. Also have loads of US games too. As a UK gamer, importing was a very special experience :)

boyshine

Did they release a "pearl white" Game Boy Player? I have purple and silver, but I'd love to have a matching one for my white GC as well. It's not a cube without it :p

Timeless

I have an offer from a friend going for a CIB GameCube US game-only set. Basically I can trade my 20 or so GC games for their approximate eBay value.

I think it will be 10+ years before GC games have the same value as SNES games, and even then, it will never be as pronounced because of how many more discs were made compared to SNES carts. They were cheap to produce.

So, I've had my fun with my GC collection. I'm thinking of sending them off and keeping for myself:

Super Smash Bros. Melee
TimeSplitters 2
TimeSplitters 3
007 Nightfire

and a few others that aren't CIB.

I'm kicking myself for not selling Pokemon Colosseum bonus disc a few years ago. Going price was $30+, now it's $10-$20.

beanman25

Don't have much in terms of value, but have quite a few titles.

Favorites are Mario Sunshine, Tales of Symphonia, and Timesplitters 2.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh shit, mofugga, this thread is happening?

Fuck yeah it is.

Gamecube is awesome. It didn't have a ton of good games, but the games that were good were really, really good.

Bought the component cables last year, don't regret it. So much better than playing on the Wii.

Anyway, I guess if we have a Gamecube thread, I should get cracking on a PS2 thread, shouldn't I?

Crazy to think last-gen systems are all more than a decade old now.

Mugy

is Gotcha Force any good? i saw it for a few dollars the other day.

Just for a record, i love games like Tech Romancer, hell, i even bought Custom Robo for the gamecube system and played it a lot.

For import systems in the UK, some clever guys came up with an RGB SCART solution, mixing an S-Video cable and Component Cable together. S-Video for sync, and the red and white for sound, then the gubins of the component to output a VERY beautiful RGB output.. It was stunning :)

I have a bunch of cube discs and a wavebird or two laying around. I'll catalog it and send it to someone here. No cases though, just the discs.

I know the classic Zeldas disc is in there, plus some other random stuff.

I went through a stage where I was determined to own ever variation of gamecube cos I loved it so much. Sadly I didn't get very far.

• Ended up with a Purple JPN (with a self installed switch so it could turn into a USA machine - such a terribly janky job and I scorched flipper with the soldering iron :D!).
  • Resident Evil 4 special edition machine PAL
  • Purple PAL
  • Gundam Edition JPN (with matching Wavebird, the KING of wireless controllers)
  • Black PAL

and then the two most important and rare of my collection, development hardware!

• USA/JPN NR Reader (tis a green coloured cube in looks if anyone has not seen one)
  • NPDP Reader (crazy red cube with a harddrive cartridge slot on the top)

Sadly those last two put such a dent in my wallet at the time (back when the cube was still current gen) that I abandoned the collecting and switched to Dreamcast for a while instead haha.

Sadly they are all in the garage in boxes at the moment so I cannae take any lovely pictures like so many of you have. My apologies

I should really sell all the cubes (bar the Gundam one, as that is still in use!) to make some pennies to then spend on games, the dev stuff should bring in a few at least. Never going to part with my games though, the majority of which are PAL, but I have quite a few interesting Japanese titles that never saw the light of day outside Japan. Charinko Hero and Hikaru no Go for example :).

I really do hope that they make a Gamecube VC for the Wii U. Not just because being able to sit in bed, with the Gamepad playing on some of the amazing games that cube had would be immense (I could always Ben Heck my way to a portable cube though I guess haha), but because it would hopefully expose a whole new generation (sales of the wii u permitting) of gamers to a library of games they perhaps would not otherwise see.

I've noticed a lot of people's collections have the GC logo on the bottom of the spine. Isn't the cover art upside down if you do that?

cloudyy

Ironic that these days we'd probably get it before the US. People complain about NoA but NoE was absolutely dire in the Gamecube days. 6 month waits for practically every game was painful at times. Animal Crossing was 2 years. By then everyone who wanted it had already imported it.
Guilty. Freeloader was a godsend for us europeans.

MY GC demo disks... I wish to have the whole set someday...
GC-demo_zps10e4945f.jpg

Animal Crossing Pioneer Kit.
P6010002.jpg

Foam gamecube they gave to at E3 the year it premiered & WW bobblehead.
IMG_2745.jpg

I'll post the collection later.

Dyne

This thread is extremely unhealthy for me, I need to just come in to say

I have 170+ games, only one Player's Choice, Pacman World II because of Pacman VS. Here are the only gaping holes in my collection:

Donkey Konga 3 jp
Radilgy jp
Go! Go! Hypergrind (Saw it at Fred Meyers for $15 once, never seen it since)

Edit: here's my collection at 85 games, how adorable. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gamecubecollection.jpg

VXLbeast

So...Cubivore. Is it actually any good? I'm in the UK, and as such have never played it. I know it has a cult following, but is it warranted?

I could understand why someone would hate it, and why someone would love it. I personally love it. The game is nuts and charming. It's a bit pricey these days, so it's hard to say whether I recommend picking it up or not. Still, there's nothing else quite like it.
256px-Cubivorebox.jpg

Growing up my parents made me buy my own video game stuff; consoles and games. So, I was always a handheld gamer since my sister gave me her OG Gameboy. I bought my color, my SP, and eventually my DS. But I never had a home console. Just played at friend's houses. The Christmas the Gamecube came out, my dad gave me a small box and said, "Merry Christmas son." I unwrapped it, and it was a Gamecube controller. I looked at him in shock, and he smiled and handed me a much bigger box. It was a Gamecube with Rogue Squadron. Couldn't have asked for a better first console. The next game he got me was Pikmin, and after that it was classic after classic. Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime (which was over my head at the time, but I still loved it), the Gameboy player (playing Fire Emblem and Pokemon on the TV blew my mind), etc. The best Smash game, the best Mario Kart game, one of the best Zelda's...I still have the thing hooked up. I just used the Gameboy player to play through Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones with a friend. Good times, and awesome thread OP. Thanks.

Btw, never saw JPN Cube game boxes before. They look really nice.

DigitalOp

Banned
Sup yall,

Can I get pass for using my Wii as a Gamecube? Lol. The hardware's cheap so I might end up buying one anyway.

Where's the best place to find copies of these games? Gamestop has forsaken the system to no end

eXistor

I feel my GC collection is complete. I have all the games I think are worthwhile (and some that turned out otherwise).

Kazerei

Banned
The Player's Choice bars make my collection look ugly, but hey, I was in high school / university and didn't have alot of money :(

The only game I still really want is Skies of Arcadia Legends

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
My ex bought me one for Xmas back in the day once they lowered the price to $99 or so. So many great games!

Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, Eternal Darkness, Prince of Persia : Sands of time, Luigi's Mansion! So many great memories.

I'm bitter that the Viewtiful Joe franchise was left to wither on the vine :-(

PAL gamer here. Gamecube for me was the best of last gen, and maybe even this gen in terms of software. Have around 50 games for it, still looking for Killer 7, Fire Emblem, Skies of Arcadia and PSO 1+2 though.

Bururian

Hey guys, I'm looking for a CIB copy of Baten Kaitos Origins that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Same with Skies of Arcadia Legends.

Any leads on these two?

Growing up my parents made me buy my own video game stuff; consoles and games. So, I was always a handheld gamer since my sister gave me her OG Gameboy. I bought my color, my SP, and eventually my DS. But I never had a home console. Just played at friend's houses. The Christmas the Gamecube came out, my dad gave me a small box and said, "Merry Christmas son." I unwrapped it, and it was a Gamecube controller. I looked at him in shock, and he smiled and handed me a much bigger box. It was a Gamecube with Rogue Squadron. Couldn't have asked for a better first console. The next game he got me was Pikmin, and after that it was classic after classic. Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime (which was over my head at the time, but I still loved it), the Gameboy player (playing Fire Emblem and Pokemon on the TV blew my mind), etc. The best Smash game, the best Mario Kart game, one of the best Zelda's...I still have the thing hooked up. I just used the Gameboy player to play through Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones with a friend. Good times, and awesome thread OP. Thanks.

Btw, never saw JPN Cube game boxes before. They look really nice.

Got you some more pics. They're actually cardboard sleeves with transparent boxes inside.

Top Bottom