• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch coming with 32GB seems crazy to me for 2017

Gowans

I've preordered one from Amazon for my kids and don't buy games physically on any platform anymore and coming with 32GB seems nuts now.

Thats more than 15x less than what comes on the basic PS4 & Xbox One.

First thing to buy is a big SD card then yeah?

Chindogg

We'll see how big the games are.

Dunno what everyone's complaining about honestly. Where were they fitting a hard drive or SSD in that form factor for under $400?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
it is yeah, but they expect you to use SD cards, and retail carts which dont require installation to take the sting out of it

Lilseb93

That's because it is. You would think that would be the worst news of the day about the system, but nope...

Hoje0308

Banned
How about voice chat that comes via smartphone app? "Hey, come make some calls using our app. You're welcome!"

again buy an own SD card and you are ok.
Don't see what the problem is...

The problem is that it's more cost on top of an already (imo) overpriced system, especially when you consider the cost of accessories. Joy-Con, pair - $80. Single Joy-Con - $50. Pro controller - $70. So, minimum, if I want a decent controller, decent storage and a single game, I'm expected to shell out $299 + $60 + 70 + $35-45 + tax. Yeah, Ninty can go sit on a pineapple.

Gowans

You can't have a hard-drive in a tablet.

They can't have it both ways tho if they are pushing this as a home games console too.

I get it tho (this is the 3DS replacement for my kids) but my phone and tablet are 256gb and the games aren't of the scale and size of what I would get on here.

I'm guessing it will be a lot of redownloading or a additional £s on a 500gb SD card.

KHlover

Banned
Would you want to see the price with 1TB of flash memory that size? Oh well, I'll be going physical anyways. You won't carry this thing in your pockets, so you can carry as many cartridges around as you want. 3DS was a better console to go digital on.

As with the 4GB card in the 3DS, you figure a replacement card into your cost assessment if you have any intention of buying digital.

It's unfortunate for those of us who plan to do this, but it's a standard replaceable part. And this time around we shouldn't be burdened with installations like the ones in Xenoblade X that filled up the whole Wii U, though who knows how data sizes will balloon in years ahead.

hishoax

Neo Member
The biggest difference between the Switch and the other two consoles is that there's no mandatory installation for physical games you buy.

Alpha_eX

Hard drive would have made it bigger, heavier and more expensive for everyone. Not everyone will need that much space.

People would have been more outraged with a higher price than the 32GB hard drive.

LAA

Yeah that sounds crazy... do we even know how big we can expect switch games to be?
Like PS4 games can be over 32GB, surely some Switch games will reach that? I imagine Xenoblade 2 could very well do that anyway.
Seeing these details is just making me more annoyed with the price tbh. £280 and you'd definitely need as big as an SD card as possible straight away.

Neoxon

Limit is 128gb, one of those is $50

To get to the storage space of an OG PS4 you'd have to spend $200 on 4 128gb SD cards

The console is now $500
The "limit" for the 3DS was I believe 32GB, but you could go past that if you wished.

Since the Switch supports SDXC, you'll likely be able to go up to 2TB even if Nintendo only officially supports 128GB (I think the site just says SDXC, not a specific size limit).

HotHamBoy

Hard drive would have made it bigger, heavier and more expensive for everyone. Not everyone will need that much space.

People would have been more outraged with a higher price than the 32GB hard drive.

Could have been 128gb on board. Like an iPad.

I'd rather it have 32 GB of flash storage with the option to expand as opposed to it being a more expensive console because they want to have more memory in the base model.

Could have been 128gb on board. Like an iPad.

iPads are also significantly more expensive at a 128gb model.

AgeEighty

The biggest difference between the Switch and the other two consoles is that there's no mandatory installation for physical games you buy.

Unless you're one of those all-digital types. (Which I am not.)

32GB is disappointingly small, but yeah, it is a little bit apples to oranges.

Anyway, I have a bunch of microSD cards lying around, so between that and being the physical media type I'll be fine.

This thread is probably going to be Modbotted btw, OP.

Sakura

If games don't need to be installed then I don't think it is an entirely fair comparison to PS4/XBO. Sure they have much larger hard drives, but when you have to install like 40GB of data for a physical game you own, they couldn't get away with having less.

Oregano

But you can have one in a dock. Our at least an empty HDD bay. And they could make a simple and easy bit of software for transferring games to the Switch itself.

Transferring 20GB+ of data will never be simple and easy. The option of having a HDD on the dock would have been nice though, sure.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
『Inaba Resident』;228247051 said:
That's because it is

First post, etc. Just like the crazy prices of Vita memory cards this seems like a poorly though out decision when companies want to push digital games

Neoxon

I didn't really expect 500+GB due to the fact that we're talking about flash memory, but at least 64GB would have been nice for $300.

I suppose not needing to do any installs may alleviate this, but I feel like going digital may be a bit of a challenge this gen.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The "limit" for the 3DS was I believe 32GB, but you could go past that if you wished.

Since the Switch supports SDXC, you'll likely be able to go up to 2TB even if Nintendo only officially supports 128GB (I think the site just says SDXC, not a specific size limit).
This is correct and I hope my 200 works ={

Z..

again buy an own SD card and you are ok.
Don't see what the problem is...

It costs money. More money. Significant amounts of said money.

At this price point it really should come with 128.

This and the paid online infrastructure are the only things about it I'm actually not a fan of.

mAcOdIn

Yep, I'm officially out. No external storage did it for me. Never cared about portable and not going to bother going physical again nor will I buy a bunch of SD cards to swap.

This and the N64 will be the only consoles I haven't bought from Nintendo but I think I'm done with them for good. I'll get Zelda on the Wii U and call it a day with Nintendo.

Top Bottom