• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OA | The OT

berzeli

Banned
ydVe0lb.jpg

This Netflix original series is from visionaries Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij (Sound of My Voice, The East), who created and wrote the eight chapter, mind-bending odyssey together. The show begins with a missing blind girl in her twenties, Prairie Johnson (Brit Marling), who comes home to the community she grew up in with her sight restored. Some hail her a miracle, others a dangerous mystery, but Prairie won’t talk about her seven years missing with the FBI or her parents.

Trailer
Clip: "The Little Girl"
Clip: "The Scientist"
Clip: "The Others"

All eight episodes are streaming now worldwide on Netflix.

TVexperto

So I stopped watching after a few minutes after I saw
the teenage kids fucking
.... does it get better than that? It was so cringy watching that

obin_gam

I was intruiged by the first episode. And Brit Marling is gorgeous. So I'll continue throughout this weekend to watch it.

I hope it doesn't devolve into another CIAs LSD Playground thingy.

berzeli

Banned
This feels like it'll be the most Brit Marling thing to ever Brit Marling.
Based on the two episodes I've seen, this is the most accurate description for the show.
So I stopped watching after a few minutes after I saw
the teenage kids fucking
.... does it get better than that? It was so cringy watching that
What was your problem with that scene, the dialogue? It's not the best example of what the show is, but if you took umbrage with that scene there may be other things that annoy you.
The guy was indeed hot so, I went with it.

gforguava

I've finished the first 3 episodes, and I really, really love it so far. Very much of a piece with the creators' previous works, which I also love.

The moment when we finally get to the main title and credits in the first episode(like 30-40 minutes) was just the tops.

This feels like it'll be the most Brit Marling thing to ever Brit Marling.
Perfect.

neoanarch

I've finished the first 3 episodes, and I really, really love it so far. Very much of a piece with the creators' previous works, which I also love.

The moment when we finally get to the main title and credits in the first episode(like 30-40 minutes) was just the tops.

Perfect.
The spoilers. Yes that's when I knew this shows was special.

gforguava

The kid playing young Brit Marling is really good.
Yeah. finding an actress that good at that age must already be a difficult task but then you add on top of that
being bilingual and playing blind?
Must've been a nightmare.

The spoilers. Yes that's when I knew this shows was special.
I love not only the audaciousness of it but also that its like the whole show opening up, everything before it felt hermetically sealed and then the music swells and the panorama shots start and it feels as important as the OA/Prairie/Nina feels it is.

And I like how it sets up a nice divide, a certain tension, between the two halves of the show with everything in the 'now' being presented as very mundane with only the OA's story that it is something more(very much in line with Sound of My Voice) but then in the past we get visions of the afterlife, dreams, a just-on-the-edge-of-believable origin story, and a bizarre figure in Jason Isaac's character.

I mean, like most things Brit Marling is involved in, and like Sense8, I do not think this is a show that is made for everyone, and thus I'm not surprised by the mixed reactions that range from elation to detraction.

berzeli

Banned
The reviews for the show have not been kind, at all.
I'm not going to argue that the show has been critically praised, but that link is not evidence of a critical panning. (8 positive ones, 4 mixed, 3 negative)
The Vulture (New Yorker) review is particularly glowing. Sure Sepinwall didn't like it, but he didn't like Happy Endings either so he can go fu- (I'm joking, sometimes you're just going to disagree with some critics you otherwise do tend to agree with.)

But yeah the show is odd, and it takes itself seriously. That may turn some people off but I would recommend that you check it out, I'm five episodes in right now and I find it worth the investment.

Alienfan

I find Rotten Tomatoes' TV section to be useless. Virtually every show has a positive score, including a metric ton of garbage ones.

It's usually rubbish because critics will typically only have access to the first episode and that's the review rotten tomatoes will use - even if the critic finds the rest of the show is bad. But that's obviously different for Netflix shows (all out at once), plus I find the average review rating more useful than the mysterious Metacritic score.

uncblue

There were plenty of things I liked in this, Series Spoiler
but that ending dance scene with the school shooter might have been the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

MBison

Who has watched all this and can tell me how pissed I'm gonna be with this investment from a scale of Lost to like Stranger Things.

Who has watched all this and can tell me how pissed I'm gonna be with this investment from a scale of Lost to like Stranger Things.

It is a complete waste of time, but if you skip it you will miss one of the most ridiculously stupid endings ever. At least watch the final ten minutes.

Mr. Hyde

Brilliant first episode. I love anything Brit Marling helps create. I am a huge fan of fiction based around metaphysics, so this has me hooked already.

I will give it to Netflix: As weird and imperfect as they are, Sense8 and The OA wouldn’t be done anywhere else. And, I don’t think they could.

I will also give to Brit and Zal. They moved to LA to make their own art, and they did. They never really compromised. And then they got a ton of money from Netflix to make this. That's impressive.

Revolver

Only watched the first episode but I like it so far. The little girl wasn't in the episode for long, but I thought she stole the show.

jrcbandit

It is a complete waste of time, but if you skip it you will miss one of the most ridiculously stupid endings ever. At least watch the final ten minutes.
Very disappointing to hear. I've watched 2.5 episodes so far and enjoyed it. It isn't worth finding out her complete story? Or is it the episodes would have been pretty good if only there had been a decent payoff in the end?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck is this shit. Can't believe I wasted my time watching this show... Granted I skipped a lot of parts, by that I skimmed through some episodes. Sorry.

Truly one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Very disappointing to hear. I've watched 2.5 episodes so far and enjoyed it. It isn't worth finding out her complete story? Or is it the episodes would have been pretty good if only there had been a decent payoff in the end?

Her story is not worth the time & there is no payoff.

Vague possible spoilers:
There is no conclusion to her story. A piece of the show's plot is suddenly dropped at the end, leaving the status of key characters entirely unknown. Instead, the season ends with an unexpected, unrelated event being dealt with in the most laughable manner imaginable.

The show gets goofy halfway through, but it really shits the bed at the end.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Granted I skipped a lot of parts, by that I skimmed through some episodes. Sorry.

Ah yes, truly the most trust worthy of opinions then.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Ah yes, truly the most trust worthy of opinions then.

Sorry, but the show isn't good. The only interesting parts are the flashbacks, the rest of show is worthless drivel.

Funny thing is the plot goes off the tracks and never looks back. The last episode leaves you basically thinking, "What the fuck did I just watch and how does any of this connect."

HINT: It doesn't.

jorma

is now taking requests
So i've watched it all and i enjoyed it. I can totally see it's not for everyone because the pacing is slooooooooooooow. But if you liked the first couple of episodes, you're probably gonna like the rest as well.

And i thought the ending was abrupt but it made sense. Ending spoilers:
It does connect but the ending leaves you having to decide for yourself, was she the OA who finally got her path to go get her captive friends, or was she just a delusional girl off her meds, who pulled 5 others into her madness?
I don't agree it drops the plot regarding the other captives. She either went to find them, or they never existed to begin with.

The show wont tell you which, and if you need that you're gonna feel like the show denied you the final payoff.

So we ended up watching it all. It had enough intrigue to keep you watching, but the ending was massively underwhelming and not worth watching all 8 episodes.

Are we allowed to discuss the ending with spoiler tags or are we gonna wait for more people to catch up, because I'd like to know what others actually thought about the last episode.

Oppo

Are we allowed to discuss the ending with spoiler tags or are we gonna wait for more people to catch up, because I'd like to know what others actually thought about the last episode.

if you tag it you can discuss anything you want. people who haven't watched but want to can just move on from the thread.

What the fuck is this shit. Can't believe I wasted my time watching this show... Granted I skipped a lot of parts, by that I skimmed through some episodes. Sorry.

I don't understand how anyone could expect "skimming" through a television drama to turn out to be anything but a complete waste of time, regardless of quality.

Laekon

I really liked the first episode. The overall vibe and mystery makes it appealing. The way they did the credits was pretty neat and unexpected. I'm really glad Netflix is around to push these types of shows.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I watched the first episode, it was pretty intriguing and weird, i have no idea where it can possibly go. The credit sequence is pretty darn cool even if it's just a gimmick. Also i think this is totally gonna be one those shows that you either love or hate.

Top Bottom