• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Animators and Modelers Thread!

Xun

I just started studying 3D last month, and I we have a project due for tomorrow and I'm really stuck with texturing that fucking thing... Does anyone here know of a good free textures database?
Sorry man, I don't. :(

I've never really had to deal with textures.

Oh and here's an update to my animation:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/94528/youweremyidol26thjune.mov

I've got a lot to do, but I'm currently debating on the final pose. Any thoughts?

B.K.

I started a Blaze Edge model a few days ago. I've got most of the blade done.

eVS4i.jpg

Xun

Looking good BK!

I'm currently taking a break from that animation for a bit, and this evening I've been coming up with some ideas for a new short film.

Of course it's all about the story, but I'm heavily inspired by what Disney is doing with Paperman on a visual level. I'm currently experimenting with ways of making CGI look somewhat convincingly like 2D animation, and at the moment I think I've made some great strides at doing so.

Spat_triate

I just started studying 3D last month, and I we have a project due for tomorrow and I'm really stuck with texturing that fucking thing... Does anyone here know of a good free textures database?

Mayang is a staple for many 3d artists. Every texture provided is free for any use.

Mistle

Howdy animation GAF, I thought I'd post my graduation film I
(sort of)
finished a couple of months back.

linky

Wow, I absolutely loved it. Great art style and animation, and cool idea to boot.

How'd you find CalArts to be? I'd kill to have something 1/10th as good as it in Australia ;_;

Zaptruder

Banned
Howdy animation GAF, I thought I'd post my graduation film I
(sort of)
finished a couple of months back.

linky

Nice work. Cute story, competent style. Some effects are a bit inconsistent, like transparency and ghosting and I think the animation started getting quite sparse towards the end... but for a one man effort, it's pretty brilliant - worth the compromise in animation to get the story delivered. Can't imagine how many frames you had to draw to make that all work.

B.K.

One of the references I'm using shows text stamped into the sword's blade. I found a font someone made based on the text in Final Fantasy XIII and downloaded it. I've spent the last few days putting the text on the blade. It's not the same as what is supposed to be there, but I don't think anyone will notice.

Here's one of the references I've been using that shows the text.

I think I may actually crash my computer on this model. Right now, the blade is at 675,000 triangles with Turbosmooth. Max is really lagging on me with Turbosmooth turned on.

Wow, I absolutely loved it. Great art style and animation, and cool idea to boot.

How'd you find CalArts to be? I'd kill to have something 1/10th as good as it in Australia ;_;

Very nice man! I like it a lot.

Nice work. Cute story, competent style. Some effects are a bit inconsistent, like transparency and ghosting and I think the animation started getting quite sparse towards the end... but for a one man effort, it's pretty brilliant - worth the compromise in animation to get the story delivered. Can't imagine how many frames you had to draw to make that all work.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it got tough to scrape together the animation for the ending. Really overextended myself with only 4 months to make this haha.

For the calarts question- it was quite the roller coaster ride. The faculty ranged from incredible to really hit or miss, but the true value came from your classmates. There were so many incredibly talented people, it was both inspiring while at the same time lighting a fire under your ass to really push yourself. You get what you give there, with a lot of highs and lows, but I'd do it all over again if I could. Now if only the tuition was lower... I'm gonna be in debt for a while.

B.K.

First time trying to model a human...man is it hard :(

Organic modeling sucks. I never model characters unless I'm following a tutorial.

Though that's mainly because I can't draw. I never have a character to model

Xun

Great news and good luck!
Thanks man!

I think I've essentially learnt all I'll need to know with 3ds Max, but I'm insanely nervous about starting on Tuesday!

I want to try and touch up my showreel a bit as well, but that can wait for a while. My biggest problem is motivation, but having said that I've been getting more and more motivated recently.

Freelance/contract work appeals to me more at the moment, since there's a lot of different areas outside of animation I want to pursue as well.

What program did you use?
According to the Vimeo comments, TV Paint.

Also looking good B.K.!

According to the Vimeo comments, TV Paint.

Also looking good B.K.!
Correct!

It looks daunting to learn at first, but after a week or so, you'll realize it really is a brilliant "built for animators" program. I'm even using it for storyboarding at the moment. I wish TVP's custom button feature was in Photoshop.

And congrats on the job!

Kikarian

I now really need to work on 3D modelling and Animation. I mainly work with Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and InDesign. But I want to expand my knowledge with Animation and 3D Modelling.

I know the whole structure and basics. But I'm now I'm going to start to get a reel out. But firstly learn how to Model and Animate.

Does anyone know any free (or paid) resources that I could use?
Thanks.

hahaha this one was probably my favorite. since i've done it several times. anywho, just popping in the thread to see what's up. i'm currently working on a few VFX projects in maya (mostly involving fluids, particles, and even one with paint effects), when I get time, I'll upload them and post them here.

dude

dude
UGH. I'm working on my second project right now, and I feel like murdering someone. For some reason I can't render the displayport subdivisions, the render is just stuck at 0%! (I'm using Vray for Maya.) I can render it fine if I smooth all of my objects, but it doesn't look exactly the same and I'll have to rearrange some stuff.

And now Maya crashed and I didn't save since yesterday :(

Here's some of my work in progress. I only started learning like two months ago, so be gentle :p

Not textured because I suck at texturing.

j.rob

I did my first animation ever recently as part of my College/High School project.
What do you guys think? I'm going to be studying it at university soon, so its only up from here on.

My Project

dude

dude
I did my first animation ever recently as part of my College/High School project.
What do you guys think? I'm going to be studying it at university soon, so its only up from here on.

My Project

That's very cool! Your animation does lack momentum though - for example, stuff falling down tends to pick up speed and so on.

Good luck and have fun at uni :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

dude

dude
Alright, here is my first (well, technically second) attempt at modelling a head. This is our project for this semester... I'm having a little hard time with the topology, but I'm pretty satisfied with the result so far.

(If you see anything horribly wrong with my topology, please do tell! I've been busting my head over this all night.)

Wow this thread is amazing, you guys are really talented/hard working keep it up. I used to lurk in this thread earlier before I signed up in like late 2011.

My Project

There's no secondary motion at all, and that's a big problem to visually enjoying the piece. Secondary animation - be that anticipation or follow through - is what sells a piece of animation. This means that, before punching someone, you pull your arm back. After landing a jump, you might lean or step forwards, and then pull back a bit (double secondary animation!). And then there's timing - various curves are utterly vital to demonstrating an understanding of weight. In the aforementioned hand-punch-pullback, you wouldn't just key the hand in the middle, then key it back, then key it forwards - you need to worry about the curves. When a hand is thrown backwards before a punch, it won't necessarily be that fast, but cruicially, as it reaches its furthest-back point, it'll hardly be moving at all, as the speed will have slowed down a lot. This is crucial to showing the sense of straining and tension that's been built into the arm, like a coiled spring. This way, when it explodes forwards, it looks like you're releasing a bunch of energy, rather than simply performing the second half of a dumbell rep. This is just an example, but secondary animation combined with timing are what sell an animation, and they're both things lacking from your piece quite significantly.

wario

hey guys, i'm doing iAnimate.net's games workshop program. currently in the second of three workshops.

here's one of my assignments from workshop one.

youtube

B.K.

Alright, here is my first (well, technically second) attempt at modelling a head. This is our project for this semester... I'm having a little hard time with the topology, but I'm pretty satisfied with the result so far.

(If you see anything horribly wrong with my topology, please do tell! I've been busting my head over this all night.)

I'm not much of an organic modeler, but it looks to me like the top of the head is going to be a bit too square. Unless that's the style you're going for with the character.

dude

dude
I'm not much of an organic modeler, but it looks to me like the top of the head is going to be a bit too square. Unless that's the style you're going for with the character.

Well, that was because I didn't close the head. I've closed it already though and it's round now. Thanks though!
I'll upload some progress after I'm a little further along for more feedback, I'm still unsure how to arrange my loops around the cheek area (in the above pictures most of the cheek's loops goes around the mouth, because that's how I saw Max Kor do it, but then I have an edge at a weird place - So later I tried having a loop that goes from the chin around the edge of the jaw, but it sort of ruined everything, and I'm unsure how to solve this.)

Well, that was because I didn't close the head. I've closed it already though and it's round now. Thanks though!
I'll upload some progress after I'm a little further along for more feedback, I'm still unsure how to arrange my loops around the cheek area (in the above pictures most of the cheek's loops goes around the mouth, because that's how I saw Max Kor do it, but then I have an edge at a weird place - So later I tried having a loop that goes from the chin around the edge of the jaw, but it sort of ruined everything, and I'm unsure how to solve this.)

Google is your friend XD
http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/max/headmodeling/index.html

also when you get to the body
http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

Also sculpting/ drawing a head will help you...

I have immense respect for modellers. I don't know how the hell they put up with it. Like most people, I got into 3D with modelling - now I do absolutely everything I can to avoid it. At work I just ship it out to anyone else but me. Give me a finalised model, unwrapped, and I'll take it from there!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
For anyone near SF:

http://www.waltdisney.org/node/812/0

Visual effects legend Ray Harryhausen inspired a generation of visual effects artists with his pioneering work in stop motion animation. Four of Ray's "kids,” all masters of this technique, will gather to discuss stop motion animation and its use in creating characters and creatures for movies.

Dennis Muren, Phil Tippett, Tom St. Amand, and Jon Berg have created visual effects using stop motion in some of the most famous films of the last three decades.
The holographic chess pieces in the original Star Wars, the Hoth snow battle in The Empire Strikes Back, the dragon Vermithrax in Dragonslayer, the mine car chase in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, the flying rocket man in Rocketeer, and the deadly ED 209 robot in Robocop are just a few examples of their amazing craft.

Join moderator Hal Hickel in a discussion of their work with stop motion, its history as a visual effects technique, and the transition into computer-generated animation. (This program is presented in conjunction with the special exhibition, Between Frames: The Magic Behind Stop Motion Animation).

DATE:
Saturday, October 20
TIME: 3pm

dude

dude
Thanks for all the tips! Didn't work on it much since last I posted because of other stuff, but I finally got around to playing with it some more last night:
vI7zz.jpg

I managed to control the topography in the end
(sort of, there's a triangle in the eye lid...)
, so now I just need to figure out how to connect the damn ear and then finish the neck!

I have immense respect for modellers. I don't know how the hell they put up with it. Like most people, I got into 3D with modelling - now I do absolutely everything I can to avoid it. At work I just ship it out to anyone else but me. Give me a finalised model, unwrapped, and I'll take it from there!

Haha, where do you work man? If there is a modelling opportunity I will jump at it, which is good since a lot of CG artists seem to share your distaste for it.

Organic modelling is incredibly rewarding and therapeutic for me. Especially since there are so many ways to improve with it - feels like you are constantly learning rather than hitting a limit, which is when things become to seem like a chore.

Edit, Dude, post some wires and people can red line for you.

Unless you want to work out your own methods.

Top Bottom