• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Animators and Modelers Thread!

This is going to sound really dumb, but I loved the blinks!

Looks nice to me. The arms will add a lot, though - a lot of a run comes through in the arms. Sense of urgency, care/clumsiness etc comes with how coordinated the arms are with the legs, but i'm sure you know that.

Xun

This is going to sound really dumb, but I loved the blinks!

Looks nice to me. The arms will add a lot, though - a lot of a run comes through in the arms. Sense of urgency, care/clumsiness etc comes with how coordinated the arms are with the legs, but i'm sure you know that.
Thanks dude.

I'll hopefully have it all done by the start of the weekend, and then I'll crack on with another piece I have in mind.

I just made this...

gjdw.jpg

And screened it over a render twice. Come at me.

(Dare I say it, for the type of image and the requirements of the client, it actually works well! When the image is public, I'll post it up!)

Mabase

I just made this...

And screened it over a render twice. Come at me.

(Dare I say it, for the type of image and the requirements of the client, it actually works well! When the image is public, I'll post it up!)

:) Nice, done with Optical Flares, or handmade?

:) Nice, done with Optical Flares, or handmade?

Optical Flares all the way! Has to be done - aside from anything, most of what we do moves, so having it animatable (and in cohorts with our 3D lights) is a godsend.

The Bookerman said:
is your client JJ Abrams?

I heard him say once that all of his lens flares are totally real. Well, "real" - there's someone just off camera beaming a giant light into the lens. They're not digital is what I mean - obviously the aren't "real" insomuch as they're not inspired by the actual scene. I love it, though!

Following on from the lens flare theme, we have a job at work where I have to animate a building being built. No problem, I think. And they don't want it to be like the usual old cranes-constructing-it-time-lapse, they want something a bit more funky. I have a bunch of scripts that can help animate all the bits and pieces flying in (in fact, I wrote a few of them) but I wanna go for something different. I also wanted to play with the new Dynamics engine in Max 2014. Here's the result, with some extra JJ Abrams added (for the lulz - the actual thing will be real materials comped into a backplate etc):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t20b18x673cdb4h/bricks_1.mp4

(The stream is a bit dodgy, but the download looks fine - only 3mb)

But you know what the coolest thing is? I know I hid it under a load of grade and comp, but... that's all from the viewport. That's not a proper render. It was about half a second a frame, with Reelsmart picking it up well enough to do the mblur. I'm very, very impressed with Max's latest viewport!

Xun

Following on from the lens flare theme, we have a job at work where I have to animate a building being built. No problem, I think. And they don't want it to be like the usual old cranes-constructing-it-time-lapse, they want something a bit more funky. I have a bunch of scripts that can help animate all the bits and pieces flying in (in fact, I wrote a few of them) but I wanna go for something different. I also wanted to play with the new Dynamics engine in Max 2014. Here's the result, with some extra JJ Abrams added (for the lulz - the actual thing will be real materials comped into a backplate etc):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t20b18x673cdb4h/bricks_1.mp4

(The stream is a bit dodgy, but the download looks fine - only 3mb)

But you know what the coolest thing is? I know I hid it under a load of grade and comp, but... that's all from the viewport. That's not a proper render. It was about half a second a frame, with Reelsmart picking it up well enough to do the mblur. I'm very, very impressed with Max's latest viewport!
Very nice man! I like it. It's crazy to think that's a viewport!

I've been trying to get back into animation a bit, so I decided to enter this months 11 Second Club competition to spur me on. I'll post some of the work up when I've gone beyond the layout stage, but in the mean time here's a run and jump I've been working on:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94528/blockout_spline_14july2013.mov

Thoughts so far? There's still a bit to do (such as finishing off the arms, sorting out the hovering slide and splining the legs at the end), but I think it's slowly getting there.

Thoughts so far? There's still a bit to do (such as finishing off the arms, sorting out the hovering slide and splining the legs at the end), but I think it's slowly getting there.

I really like it, dude. The only thing I'd say is that maybe the legs etc could do with a little more in the way of secondary animation when he hits the first lower level (around frames 50-52) as he appears to be a pretty bouncy guy but he more or less lands straight into his next pose. Other than that, looks really great to me! Lots of personality in there, and far better than I could ever do!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
There's a video on fxguide detailing some of the ILM VFX pipeline for Pacific Rim:

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-175-pacific-rim-pipeline-special/

We visit ILM to discuss the Pacific Rim production pipeline with John Knoll, Eddie Pasquarello, Lindy De Quattro and Hal Hickel. The pipeline uses NUKE, Houdini, KATANA, Modo, Alembic, Arnold/RenderMan and ILM’s 3D and fluid destruction and muscle sim tools.

Vid is over 30 min! Haven't watched it fully yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet. Looks like PacRim took over 500 TB of disk space. Some shots took a couple of weeks to render out completely.

Mabase

I recently finished a shortfilm, a romantic comedy about the End of Privacy. Here's a teaser (slightly NSFW, features cartoon boobs). Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/64481748

At the moment I can't show it publicly online, but if anybody is interested just say so or write me a PM and I can provide a private link.
Last month it ran on the Siggraph Festival in LA, and I'm proud to say that within the more than 2 hours of program (of apparently "last year's finest in CG"), my film was the only one with naked tittays...
#LifeAchievementUnlocked

OPHELIA_Love_PrivacySettings_040_900.jpg

OPHELIA_Love_PrivacySettings_050_900.jpg

OPHELIA_Love_PrivacySettings_060_900.jpg

Xun

Great work guys! Glad to see this thread still get at least a bit of activity.

I really like it, dude. The only thing I'd say is that maybe the legs etc could do with a little more in the way of secondary animation when he hits the first lower level (around frames 50-52) as he appears to be a pretty bouncy guy but he more or less lands straight into his next pose. Other than that, looks really great to me! Lots of personality in there, and far better than I could ever do!
Yeah that was just temp, still trying to figure out how best to do that part.

I'll post up an update shortly, hopefully! Also thanks for the input dude.

I recently finished a shortfilm, a romantic comedy about the End of Privacy. Here's a teaser (slightly NSFW, features cartoon boobs). Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/64481748

At the moment I can't show it publicly online, but if anybody is interested just say so or write me a PM and I can provide a private link.
Last month it ran on the Siggraph Festival in LA, and I'm proud to say that within the more than 2 hours of program (of apparently "last year's finest in CG"), my film was the only one with naked tittays...
#LifeAchievementUnlocked

OPHELIA_Love_PrivacySettings_040_900.jpg

OPHELIA_Love_PrivacySettings_050_900.jpg

OPHELIA_Love_PrivacySettings_060_900.jpg
Beautiful, I look forward in seeing it!

I've just been around Walt Disney Animation Studios, shown around by their head of lighting and its very cool but... Pixar? I got shown around the other day by one of the animators there and holy shit... its just... hard to describe how cool it is. Its like a hotel complex, an episode of grand designs, a bar, an arcade and a studio all rolled Into one. Aside from the amazing quality of the staff and output, just as a working environment it is utterly out of this world.

Xun

I've just been around Walt Disney Animation Studios, shown around by their head of lighting and its very cool but... Pixar? I got shown around the other day by one of the animators there and holy shit... its just... hard to describe how cool it is. Its like a hotel complex, an episode of grand designs, a bar, an arcade and a studio all rolled Into one. Aside from the amazing quality of the staff and output, just as a working environment it is utterly out of this world.
Damn, I'm jealous. :(

A film we're doing at the moment needs some fairly realistic particle effects. Well, not exactly - I mean realistic in the way the magic effects are in Harry Potter - they don't exist in real life, but they look totally believable in the scene. He's just a little sim I did that I liked because it looks like an octopus. Sort of.

iblLS7OLcgHgF5.gif

Kikarian

A film we're doing at the moment needs some fairly realistic particle effects. Well, not exactly - I mean realistic in the way the magic effects are in Harry Potter - they don't exist in real life, but they look totally believable in the scene. He's just a little sim I did that I liked because it looks like an octopus. Sort of.

iblLS7OLcgHgF5.gif
Very nice.

Reminds me of the smoke abilities in Infamous SS.

Ragnarok

here's a mech type thing i'm making for a sci-fi trailer. just a quick and dirty test render with basic materials. In the process of giving it a full texture job.

jZAAiy8EAmMsJ.png

Xun

Great stuff guys! Really impressive work.

I've been working on my short film on and off for a while now (Prams, Trams & Automobiles), and with the weekend just gone I managed to get a lot of little bits done.

Whilst the film will be in 2D, I saw it best to create the majority of the environments and vehicles in 3D to help out (even if I'm a crap at modelling :p).

Here's what I've got so far with the tram:

SsqbCWA.png

It's not that great, but considering I'll be drawing over on top of it I don't think it matters that much.

Xun

Tram is finished:

8oArBw4.png

How does it look?

Anyway, time to work on everything else related to the film...

B.K.

If anyone wants to try dDo for texturing, you might be interested to learn that it's been released for free. I've been wanting to try it for a while. I suck at texturing with Photoshop. Now's a good time to try it.

Oh nice, an Animators OT! Hey guys!
I'm working on a short right now, and I'd love to know where I could find some quality royalty free music, and sound effects.
Any ideas? I'd really appreciate it.

Xun

Oh nice, an Animators OT! Hey guys!
I'm working on a short right now, and I'd love to know where I could find some quality royalty free music, and sound effects.
Any ideas? I'd really appreciate it.
Perhaps this?

http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/

Always good to hear people are making shorts! Are you studying or just doing it in your spare time?

I've haven't done much in the way of animation. Here's a short transformation clip I made years ago though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF43Q7nVoYE
Wow, 8 years ago? It looks good!

Have you stopped completely, or do you still remain in the field in some way?

Anyway in addition to my short, I've been doing a new piece for my showreel. I've only just started blocking it though, but it would be nice to get some feedback if possible.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94528/26may14blockout1.mov

Perhaps this?

http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/

Always good to hear people are making shorts! Are you studying or just doing it in your spare time?
Sweeet, thanks!
I'm an animation student going for an "Animation Production" degree at a community college that is next to Cal Arts(that Disney established school in California)
I was planning on transferring to Cal Arts(to further my studies), but I'm not sure about doing that anymore.
It's kind of expensive.
:p

B.K.

Does anyone know of any good normal map tutorials? Every time I try to make a normal map, it always ends up being unusable crap.

Xun

Sweeet, thanks!
I'm an animation student going for an "Animation Production" degree at a community college that is next to Cal Arts(that Disney established school in California)
I was planning on transferring to Cal Arts(to further my studies), but I'm not sure about doing that anymore.
It's kind of expensive.
:p
Ah sweet! How's the short been going?

My film has essentially come to a halt for the time being, but I'm looking to start it back up this weekend.

Damn work getting in the way. :(

Does anyone know of any good normal map tutorials? Every time I try to make a normal map, it always ends up being unusable crap.
I don't unfortunately.

I've not dabbled in that side of CG packages in a long time.

Edit: Do these help? I'm sure you've already seen them though:

https://vimeo.com/75000217

http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/textures/how-not-to-make-normal-maps-from-photos-or-images.php

Ah sweet! How's the short been going?

My film has essentially come to a halt for the time being, but I'm looking to start it back up this weekend.

Damn work getting in the way. :(

Aaaw, work(or school)always seems to get in the way of the things we actually want to do. lol

So far, I've got the script and one background done.
However, I kind of realized that I'm not ready to take on the short just yet.
I'm going to be using Richard William's book to put some "snazzy" practice videos up on youtube channel because I've gotta get better.
I need stuff like basic walk cycles and "takes" to become second nature to me before I start on my big project.

I am looking to learn how to make some effects for mobile games. Does anyone know where I can find some tutorials to make sparks, explosions, lightning bolts, etc. similar to the ones used in JRPGs?

I found some Chinese blog but I cannot read Chinese. :(
http://jackie584.blog.163.com/blog/static/17368620201061293021844/

http://jackie584.blog.163.com/blog/static/17368620201089111413617/

Well for what it's worth, that tutorial is all about the manner in which you layer up pre-canned assets - as opposed to telling you how to actually make those assets. You can get things like sparks, fire, smoke etc as filmed footage on a black background (We use it quite a lot in our more VFX'y work actually) but I guess the stuff you're after - and the main example in that tutorial - is a little bit more cartoony. That said, it looks like the kind of thing made in a vector animation package (like Flash), if that helps. Then once you have the "static" version of the single element, you can layer it up and animate its movement however you want. In that tutorial they're layering it up using 3ds Max but you could do it in 2D if you don't need any depth differentiation.

Wow, 8 years ago? It looks good!

Have you stopped completely, or do you still remain in the field in some way?

Thanks!

To be truthful, I'm yet to get into the field in a pofessional respect but after spending almost 8 years idling as a game tester, I've recently been made redundant so I'm looking to make a fresh start and try to break in. Trouble is, career wise, I feel a little lost when it comes to what direction I want to go, which isn't really a good thing when you're mid-thirties I guess.
I've applied for a BA course which focuses on 3D packages and game engines, which will hopefully help me fill in a few gaping holes in my skill set (organic forms are something I have very little experince with trying my hand at).

My only real job as a 3D artist was a freelance gig designing Transformers statues for the now defunct Palisades Toys.

I have my current portfolio up here: https://www.behance.net/GTremarco

Uv unwrapping is something I've only gotten to grips with in the last couple of years and I have to say I find it immensely satifying to create and texture assets. This scene was my first real fully textured work: https://www.behance.net/gallery/4302355/3D-Work-Rehearsal-Space

I got a kick out of making it:)

Thanks!

To be truthful, I'm yet to get into the field in a pofessional respect but after spending almost 8 years idling as a game tester, I've recently been made redundant so I'm looking to make a fresh start and try to break in. Trouble is, career wise, I feel a little lost when it comes to what direction I want to go, which isn't really a good thing when you're mid-thirties I guess.
I've applied for a BA course which focuses on 3D packages and game engines, which will hopefully help me fill in a few gaping holes in my skill set (organic forms are something I have very little experince with trying my hand at).

My only real job as a 3D artist was a freelance gig designing Transformers statues for the now defunct Palisades Toys.

I have my current portfolio up here: https://www.behance.net/GTremarco

Uv unwrapping is something I've only gotten to grips with in the last couple of years and I have to say I find it immensely satifying to create and texture assets. This scene was my first real fully textured work: https://www.behance.net/gallery/4302355/3D-Work-Rehearsal-Space

I got a kick out of making it:)

There are a handful of us on here who have been to universities in the UK doing 3D stuff, so if you have any questions about specific universities, we might be able to help :)

Well for what it's worth, that tutorial is all about the manner in which you layer up pre-canned assets - as opposed to telling you how to actually make those assets. You can get things like sparks, fire, smoke etc as filmed footage on a black background (We use it quite a lot in our more VFX'y work actually) but I guess the stuff you're after - and the main example in that tutorial - is a little bit more cartoony. That said, it looks like the kind of thing made in a vector animation package (like Flash), if that helps. Then once you have the "static" version of the single element, you can layer it up and animate its movement however you want. In that tutorial they're layering it up using 3ds Max but you could do it in 2D if you don't need any depth differentiation.

Thanks, I know what you mean. Most of the English tutorials I have looked at has more to do with real simulation of fire, etc. Whereas this requires 2D assets to be made. Are there any good sites with free tutorials for simulation based VFX that you know of? I just need to learn how to make sparks, explosions, lightning, etc. that one may find in a typical fighting game.

Top Bottom