• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
SnakeXs said:
Congrats on the new camera. Enjoy it, and pop in the photography thread if you ever wanna share your stuff. ;)

That said, and I'll speak generally as I don't know Canon lenses well, you're looking for 2 different things.

Landscape and architecture you'll need something wide. With the 1.6 factoring of your XSi, I'd say at least 18mm. More if you really wanna get a huge field of view.

As for animals and portraits, those you'll want something with some reach. 200mm at the far end should be good. Nature is a large area of photography and the needs of it could range anywhere in there, so it's hard to say unless you say more of what you tend to/want to shoot.

And, yes the 50mm F/1.8 is great. It's cheap because it's a dead simple lens to manufacture, and has been evolving for decades, and with crazy zooms many people don't bother with primes. It's guaranteed to be sharp, and 1.8 is plenty fast.

As far as being a beginner, it depends. Some people, myself included, enjoy being "limited" by a prime lens like that, it makes you move, compose differently, think a lot. Others will scoff and will wish they could be zooming. It depends what group you fall into. It's as good a lens as they get optically, though. I'd say for the price you should, I love mine and loved when I had it and only it.

thanks for the great post. i think i'm going to pick up the 50mm f/1.8 for sure once i really get a feel for the camera. i don't mind being limited and i'm a fan of experimenting, so i think it'd be a lot of fun. for that price, it's hard to pass up :)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
cloudwalking said:
thanks for the great post. i think i'm going to pick up the 50mm f/1.8 for sure once i really get a feel for the camera. i don't mind being limited and i'm a fan of experimenting, so i think it'd be a lot of fun. for that price, it's hard to pass up :)

Great attitude and mentality. You won't be let down, I'm sure. ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
assuming the new kit lens is the 18-55IS, then keep that for your landscape stuff. Plenty wide enough and a lot better than the old 18-55.

For animally stuff, you could do worse than grab a 55-250IS. Again pretty cheap (relatively) with IS to help keep things clear, and supposed to be good quality.

mrklaw said:
not sure I was thinking the 1.2L, but nice shots. I could afford it, but it would be my most expensive lens and I don't know I'll use it enough to justify that.
Yeah, the 85 1.2L was expensive and I can't really justify it either, I just wanted one! :D

Thanks, tomjr.

SnakeXs said:
And, yes the 50mm F/1.8 is great. It's cheap because it's a dead simple lens to manufacture, and has been evolving for decades, and with crazy zooms many people don't bother with primes. It's guaranteed to be sharp, and 1.8 is plenty fast.

As far as being a beginner, it depends. Some people, myself included, enjoy being "limited" by a prime lens like that, it makes you move, compose differently, think a lot. .

I agree. As a novice photographer, I got really used to my zoom and auto-focus lenses, but having recently acquired a 50mm 1.8 lens, I am finding myself using it much more than any of my others because it presents much more of a challenge. A lot of my photos don't turn out the way I want, but I feel like I'm learning quite a bit from using it and it's so satisfying to get that one killer photo after taking a bunch of duds.

since we're all chiming in on 50mm love...i'd just like to say:

spend a little more and get the 50mm f/1.4...the speed is incomparable. and what i've discovered about photography is that timing and finding the right moment is crucial.

Joe

hey guys, i'm looking for some nikon lens suggestions. i have $600 to spend. i currently have the 18-55mm vr, and 55-200mm vr. i'm thinking about selling them and buying the 18-200mm vr lens. i also do want a 50mm prime lens, a fisheye lens and an ultra-wide lens.

how is the 18-200mm lens? is it worth it to spend the money just to combine my current 2 lenses? i really think i would use the 200mm lens more often if i didn't have to switch. but on the other hand i really would like to start building a lens collection (prime, fisheye, ultra wide).

mrkgoo

If switching lenses is actually a problem for you, then the 18-200 would be a logical choice - keeping in mind that all your other lenses (Wide aperture, wide-angle etc) will likely also suffer from can't-be-bothered-changing syndrome.

Is this it? Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR II DX
Joe said:
hey guys, i'm looking for some nikon lens suggestions. i have $600 to spend. i currently have the 18-55mm vr, and 55-200mm vr. i'm thinking about selling them and buying the 18-200mm vr lens. i also do want a 50mm prime lens, a fisheye lens and an ultra-wide lens.

how is the 18-200mm lens? is it worth it to spend the money just to combine my current 2 lenses? i really think i would use the 200mm lens more often if i didn't have to switch. but on the other hand i really would like to start building a lens collection (prime, fisheye, ultra wide).
I don't know the Nikon line-up very well, but one common complaint with extreme zoom lenses of all makes is distortion at the short end. If I got the right lens, photozone.de says the distortions are pretty significant at both ends, but it's still an interesting lens.

nitewulf

the 18-200VR is a jack of all trades lens, master of none. if you wanna build a collection its pointless to buy that...it'll make you lazy. the shorter zooms and primes will take better pictures as well.

zhenming

841328598_250f8a30ea_o.jpg

2078232078_dfc890fac7.jpg

1462888737_a15cc2b52a.jpg

Nikon D80
Tamron SP AF 28-75/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D AF ED Zoom
Nikon Speedlight SB-800

mrkgoo

nitewulf said:
the 18-200VR is a jack of all trades lens, master of none. if you wanna build a collection its pointless to buy that...it'll make you lazy. the shorter zooms and primes will take better pictures as well.

True - but most of time, the 'ultra' quality for sharpness, colour, contrast and so on from lenses, particularly the pro-grade ones are more and more incremental as you go up in price. No doubt a collection of primes is probably better image quality wise, but a good eye will get you great photos regardless. Good glass can never help a bad eye. I find convenience a pretty big factor when deciding which lenses to use. The best way to ruin a photo is to not take it...

(I agree with laziness - but if you're already lazy, like me, a convenient zoom can help you take more photos!)

nitewulf

i agree w/ you...just i dont see the point of doing both, getting a complete all around AND building a collection. basically the collection will collect a lot of dust.

zhenming

Each lens I buy has its specialty, the 50mm is sharp and fast good for portraits, the 18-200 vr as everyone has said is versatile, but not as sharp and the bokeh could be better. The 80-200 is fast sharp and has good range for games and concerts. It all depends on what type of photog you are.

mrkgoo

nitewulf said:
i agree w/ you...just i dont see the point of doing both, getting a complete all around AND building a collection. basically the collection will collect a lot of dust.

Good point!

That said, sometimes, it's valuable to have a kind of walkaround lens in your collection. But as you said, an 18-200 is practically an allround answer - if you were actually ever going to get a collection, it's best to have a roadmap of what you intend.

Of course, many people (myself included) don't really know what they like or find useful - and as zhenming said, it depends greatly on how you like to shoot.

Wes

venison crêpe
Think this is a good place to ask this going by the title. Didn't think it worth it making a whole new thread.

I'm going into the city tommorow to play with some dslr's before I buy one in a week or so. Apart from comfort and feel, can you suggest anything else I should have in my head whilst looking for my potential purchase? Depending upon whether or not the shop lets me take a few shots with each model of course.

I should also mention I'm quite a novice when it comes to photography. I mean I've played with compacts for years and family members have told me that I should pursue it further and well I've come into some money and have decided to plunge and get a dslr and spend the rest of my summer experimenting with it before heading to uni. I've read a lot of advice for people in a similiar position to me telling them maybe getting a dslr isn't the best next step to take but before any of you suggest something along the same lines this is something I really want to dive into.

Anyway back to my original plea for advice, thanks in advance.

nitewulf

all depends on how much passion you have, ie, is it a whim or will it be a life-long passion? if latter, then flexibility is important, ie, the lens system. the bodies will come and go, the lenses should be the deciding factors for serious photographers.

OTOH, if you just wanna test out the waters, either nikon or canon start up kits will do you great. comfort and feel is very important, as is metering modes and speed (frames/sec)...most latest dslrs and lenses can focus pretty fast. the startup cameras are very comparable. i dont know much about the latest canon entry level camera though...the 1000D, but i understand it has very good specs.

mercury

hey guys finally I bought the canon G7!
What a great camera! I really love it!
I'll try to post some pictures later from my trip!
any advice on a website to upload the pictures?

mercury said:
hey guys finally I bought the canon G7!
What a great camera! I really love it!
I'll try to post some pictures later from my trip!
any advice on a website to upload the pictures?
Congrats, I love mine! In fact, my entry to the photo assignment thread this week was taken with my G7 in macro mode:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/brian4447/RSZ_1389ps.jpg

I host my pics on photobucket, a lot of people here also use flickr.

Joe

ok i've decided to skip the 18-200mm vr lens and get a more specialized lens.

out of tamron or sigma who makes a better lens? i'm now debating over a sharp wide-angle (17mm range) lens or a prime (30mm or 50mm) lens. which would you guys rather have?

also are there any good tripods to be had for around $75? i'd like it to be sturdy, folds up nicely and small, quick release and easily be able to turn the camera vertical and horizontal. i know literally nothing about tripods.

Tf53

Joe said:
ok i've decided to skip the 18-200mm vr lens and get a more specialized lens.

out of tamron or sigma who makes a better lens? i'm now debating over a sharp wide-angle (17mm range) lens or a prime (30mm or 50mm) lens. which would you guys rather have?

also are there any good tripods to be had for around $75? i'd like it to be sturdy, folds up nicely and small, quick release and easily be able to turn the camera vertical and horizontal. i know literally nothing about tripods.
What are you going to be shooting? Wide for architecture, landscapes and all sorts of funky stuff (I'm looking at you, Lucky), 30mm & 50mm for portraits. I'm sure I'm cutting corners, but it really boils down to what you want to shoot.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Tf53 said:
What are you going to be shooting? Wide for architecture, landscapes and all sorts of funky stuff (I'm looking at you, Lucky), 30mm & 50mm for portraits. I'm sure I'm cutting corners, but it really boils down to what you want to shoot.

Bingo. Although 30, even at a 1.5 crop, is still too wide for portraits. 50mm is getting there but you gotta be close and distance never hurts with head shots and the like.

That said, I love my 50mm and use it a ton. I've said it a ton before, but while zooming is handy and great when you need to "get the shot", I enjoy something about being "confined" and forced into working different that primes offer.

As far as tripods, I'm far from an expert but I think my Manfrotto leg and ball head combo was around 120 or so. I'm sure there's cheaper.

Also, just got a reflector today. My first. Too bad I don't have a stand and usually need someone to hold it. It's a 32" Photoflex, white/gold. I'll be needing it in the near future. :p

Cfh123

I have the following Nikon lenses (for my Nikon D300):

16-85 VR (walk around lens)
70-300 VR (telephoto lens)

I had considered the 18-200 VR as an all-purpose lens, but apparently the 16-85 VR has significantly better image quality (although the 18-200 is no slouch and is a very capable lens). There is also the 17-55, which is a professional level lens and costs twice as much as the 16-85 VR. The 17-55 does not have vibration reduction (VR) but makes up for it in lens speed.

With respect to telephoto lenses, I had considered the 70-200 VR (F2.8). It gets rave reviews, but costs three times as much as the 70-300 VR (F4.5), and is a big heavy lens.

There is of course always a trade off between (a) focal range, (b) lens speed, (c) image quality and (d) cost.

My lens purchasing philosophy is to go at least one lens "behind" the professional calibre lenses. I can't justify the cost of the pro lenses for what is a hobby. The 16-85 VR is "one" behind the 17-55, and the 70-300 VR is one behind the 70-200 VR.

Both my lenses are somewhat slow (F4.5). Eventually, I will probably add a fast lens like the 50 mm F1.8 or 50 mm F1.4.

Joe

hey guys, i ordered this tripod:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FFSDCC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i hope i made a good choice :D

couple quick Q's

1. do you recommend a sandisk III card for a nikon d60, or does it offer no speed increase over a sandisk II? i have a III now and its quick, but for less money i could get more storage on a II but i dont want to sacrifice any noticeable speed.

2. how do you feel about 3rd party batteries? should i get a nikon battery or get a CTA battery for almost half the cost?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Man, now that I'm progressing forward with Photography its sort of annoying me that anything beyond the Rebel line with Canon seems to be on the backburner. I mainly want to see a reasonable Full-Frame Midrange DSLR at a reasonable price.

I liken this scenario to like NV releasing a $150 Card and a $500 Card... wheres the bridge?

There's rumors of a 5D Mark II afloat, so once that comes out, 5D prices should drop significantly. We may have to wait a couple of years before full-frame sensors hit the third-tier (Nikon D80/Canon 40D) market.

BlueTsunami said:
I've heard some funky things about the 5D (mainly its performance when it comes to faster photography). Also the price for the body itself is also pretty high.

A $1500 Full-Frame DSLR would be so sweet

On another note, checkout this Lens review repository (With examples!)

http://www.motleypixel.com/reviews/index.htm?openfolder=Canon Zooms/Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM/
Well it isn't made for sports at all...its a studio camera and that's very very cheap if you want a serious camera and not a toy rebel type.

BlueTsunami

DarkAngelYuna said:
Well it isn't made for sports at all...its a studio camera and that's very very cheap if you want a serious camera and not a toy rebel type.

Ahhh ok. I guess I can't fault if it isn't intended for that type of Photography. But the type of Full-Frame Camera I'm talking about would be a bit more versatile, which is why it would be cool if they updated the line.

My next camera definitely won't be a Full-Frame though :/. I'll probably end up getting the 40D or something.

Edit: I just looked it up and the 40D (just the body) is around $1000 (Shipped) off of Amazon... :eek:

BlueTsunami

jiji said:
5D or D700 for me. I don't want to spend any more money on dealing with crop factor or APS-C bodies.

Actually being able to shoot at 10mm with the Super Wide Lenses is what I mainly want from it ;_;

nitewulf

yeah the 50mm Planar T* is an awesome lens. I have the Y/C mount, w/ a canon converter. The lens has a good feeling about it, and takes very sharp high contrast pictures with a halo.

Edit: you do understand these will be manual focus only?

giga

BlueTsunami said:
ZEISS LENSES FOR CANON (EF MOUNTS): http://www.digitalkamera.de/Meldung/Neue_Objektive_von_Zeiss_jetzt_auch_mit_EF_Bajonett/5111.aspx

HOLY YYYYY SHIIIIITTTT

21 f/2.8
50 f/1.4
85 f/1.4

21mm f/2.8 is fucking mine
the old c/y distagon is a fucking LEGEND. it sells for $3k. destroys anything in its focal length.

Nikon 14-24 vs Zeiss 21mm: http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/nikon1424_21mm/nikon1424_21mm1.html

Canon 16-35 vs Zeiss 21mm: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1075248

BlueTsunami

nitewulf said:
Edit: you do understand these will be manual focus only?

Yep :D

Interestingly enough, I've been really applying myself when it comes to using my 50mm 1.4 and Manual mode. Though, I hate the Viewfinder on my 350D (one of the reasons I want to update my DSLR body).

I've actually been looking into buying an old Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 and modifying it to an EOS mount. The bokeh it produces is stunning.

BlueTsunami

Presenting the Canon 5D MKII!

10wn1uf.jpg

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17662

• 21.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion (16,384 colors/each of 3 primary color), wide range ISO setting of 100-6400 (expandable L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600).
• Automatic peripheral illumination correction.
• Magnesium alloy construction with 'additional' environmental protection
• Full HD Video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution for up to 4GB per clip with HDMI output for HD viewing of stills and video.
• Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing of fine detail and color reproduction as well as reduced image noise.
• High performance with 3.9 fps continuous shooting, new shutter with a durability of 150,000 cycles and improved weather-resistant body.
• Live View Function for stills (Quick, Live and Face Detection AF modes) and video.
• 3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) monitor with anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings for improved viewing and smudge protection.
• Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System specifically designed to work with a full-frame sensor.
• 9 AF points + 6 Assist AF points.
• UDMA memory card compatibility: Maximum 310 large JPEG images in a single burst with a UDMA card.
• Suggested price: $ 2,700

Now its between the D700 and 5D MKII. Good choices on both fronts, even I'm giving thought to the D700 but the MKII has some interesting additions too.

nitewulf

Meh...canon is losing it in the body tech front...its not THAT big of a deal, but the D700, D3 and D300 all have the new fancy auto-focus system. Canon is playing catch up here. Seems like the 5D MK2 is remaining a studio camera foremost, which is ok. They need to come up with something that can compete w/ the D300.

BlueTsunami

nitewulf said:
Meh...canon is losing it in the body tech front...its not THAT big of a deal, but the D700, D3 and D300 all have the new fancy auto-focus system. Canon is playing catch up here. Seems like the 5D MK2 is remaining a studio camera foremost, which is ok. They need to come up with something that can compete w/ the D300.

I was looking over the D700 and the way the shooting FPS is fantastic and the AF is amazing too (when compared to what Canon is offering). Those are the two major reasons why Nikon has me flinching. All I have from Canon's line of lenses is one prime lens, I could easily jump ship. I'll definitely be considering my next purchase since I'll consider it to be the body I use for a while (witch more emphasis on lens purchases).

I do agree about Canon not being coy about what the 5D MKII is for (as you stated, Studio Photography). The way the AF points are set up, that really does clue one into this (not spread out, heavily in the center of the frame).

Edit: Here's a link to various videos using the MKII with various lenses...

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/02.html#01

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:

10wn1uf.jpg

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17662

• 21.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion (16,384 colors/each of 3 primary color), wide range ISO setting of 100-6400 (expandable L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600).
• Full HD Video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution for up to 4GB per clip with HDMI output for HD viewing of stills and video.
• Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing of fine detail and color reproduction as well as reduced image noise.
• High performance with 3.9 fps continuous shooting, new shutter with a durability of 150,000 cycles and improved weather-resistant body.
• Live View Function for stills (Quick, Live and Face Detection AF modes) and video.
• 3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) monitor with anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings for improved viewing and smudge protection.
• Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System specifically designed to work with a full-frame sensor.
• UDMA memory card compatibility: Maximum 310 large JPEG images in a single burst with a UDMA card.

Now its between the D700 and 5D MKII. Good choices on both fronts, even I'm giving thought to the D700 but the MKII has some interesting additions too.

Holy...

This be my next camera.

If it pans out, that is, it is all that is promised...I'm intrigued because:

Full frame: It's the next logical step after the other dSLR, and the way of the future.
Canon: I have a few other Canon lenses, plus I have grown accustomed to the button layout.
21 MP, Iso 6400: The 21MP is overkill, but I guess nice to have IF the noise is kept down. Iso6400 - if that is equivalent of the 1600 on my 40D, I will be overjoyed, because it means the 3200 is closer to 800, which is fine. This is the main thing for me, the iso performance.
It also means I can move up from my ef-s 17-55 - which is an awesome lens image-wise, but it feels a bit cheap. I've been eyeing the 24-70 and 24-105 pair - now if only they made a 24-70 with Is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
nitewulf said:

50D competes with the D300 pretty well. Its priced lower because Canon/Nikon never seem to go head to head directly, and apart from the 70,000 AF points on the Nikon, the 50D comes out well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
check out this guy's preview of the 5DII

Link

note that all the photos on that link are stills grabbed from him shooting video at 1080p!

I was considering getting the 50D, but this video part has me curious. I'm not convinced by FF being 'the future', as its really a question of what you shoot - if you shoot wide, or portrait/landscapes then its a great format. But if you shoot longer stuff like wildlife or birds or whatever, then the crop formats offer the benefit of more reach

Schrade

mrklaw said:
check out this guy's preview of the 5DII

Link

note that all the photos on that link are stills grabbed from him shooting video at 1080p!

I was considering getting the 50D, but this video part has me curious. I'm not convinced by FF being 'the future', as its really a question of what you shoot - if you shoot wide, or portrait/landscapes then its a great format. But if you shoot longer stuff like wildlife or birds or whatever, then the crop formats offer the benefit of more reach
Jesus. I want to see the video... let us know when it's released! The quality of that camera sounds awesome.

What made me really go wow was this:

2. It produces the best video in low light that I’ve ever seen - at 1080p. A top commercial film editor who who regularly edits RED camera footage - and has seen the raw footage from the 5D MKII - says the 5D MKII is “far superior to the RED camera” in terms of low light performance…

nitewulf

Schrade said:
What made me really go wow was this:
it's not THAT surprising. canons are known for their high ISO performance, and i mean usable high ISO performance, not just a number to use as a bullet point. my brother has the 5D, and he REGULARLY takes 3200 ISO shots, quite usable.

BlueTsunami said:

10wn1uf.jpg

yeah,, fuck it.. i want this thing...................... i have a Canon 20D now... but i want the 5D...... fuck fuck fuck.........

fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom