• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Civilization IV thread

Scotch

Is there a way to listen to the music without zooming in on a city? The music has always been one of the greatest aspects of Civ for me, but it's awfully quiet when I play Civ 4.

siege

Banned
Coen said:
Has anyone been able to play this baby in a window? Seems like an awesome game to keep running while you're doing other stuff.

I've seen those windowed shots on the preview/walktrough, but I havent't been able to figure out a way to play that way myself.

Go into the Civ4config.ini and change

; Specify whether to play in fullscreen mode 0/1/ask
FullScreen = 1 to 0

siege

Banned
Gamespy gave it 5 stars, but I guess we already know the game owns. Doing pretty well in reviews.

A game with this much depth, this much strategy, this much replayability, and multiplayer is totally unheard of in this space. Civilization IV stands alone. No fan of strategy games should leave this on store shelves.

Victrix

*beard*
The Buddhist Incans fly to Alpha Centauri!

Bitches wouldn't agree to elect me UN ambassador. Easy win on Noble, I smooshed Ghandi VERY early, and he was the only other Civ on my continent. By the time I made contact with other civs, I was already in the lead, and it just got more pronounced as time went on. I probably could have gone for a conquest victory, but it would have been long and drawn out, so I tried to butter everyone up and built the UN. That didn't work though - too many religious differences and wars between the other civs before I had contacted them guaranteed that they didn't like me enough to vote for me. So I said screw em and built the ship.

A Pacifist Cultural win looks like it could be fun, I might have to try that on a Pangaea map. I'm also going to go for a conquest or domination victory when I random the right civ.

I'll probably keep it at Noble for another few games, unless I win as easily game as I did the one last night (Noble is no AI benefits or penalties, every step above that gives them more bonuses and makes everything harder for you).

One thought about the UN victory - if you're going to go for it, get Caravels and send mass missionaries to other civs to spread your religion of choice to all of their cities. If you can ram a conversion down their throats, you can ease many of the tensions between the AI Civs. Added bonus points if you control the holy city for that religion, as you get both gold and intelligence from their cities that have 'your' religion.

Questions:

What is the average time you guys are spending per game? I hear people saying they are completing them in a single sitting which is normally unheard of in Civ games

I have the following pc specs:
- ASUS K7V mb
- AMD Athlon 850
- 384 RAM
- 4x AGP GeForce2 GTS Hercules video card
will the game run on my machine? and if so will it be playable or just too sluggish. I think I meet several of the min. requirements but am concerned on my proc. speed.

Victrix

*beard*
I don't think it will run on your computer period

3-4 hours for a game on 'Normal' speed and Standard world size. You can play Quick in less time, or Epic for longer (Epic is actually neat, since it draws out the tech, it gives you more time to play in each era - but the game takes longer to finish)

Tabris

I'm the democratic chinese nation who believes in free speech and jeudaism as a state religion.

Most of the world also believes in jeudaism thanks to me. Except for those HEATHENS over there in Russia!! I'll CRUSH them!

Erm... *cough* Yeah, I'm addicted!

+Aliken+

Victrix said:
I don't think it will run on your computer period

ahaha... damn...
I haven't bought a PC since Civ 3 and I think I might need to get change something...
I have at present:

AMD 1.2
Geforce 2 32Mb
256 RAM.

Whats the verdict?

(I'll get the game anyway try and if it doesn't go I'll cry all the way to the shop and fix problems)

Victrix

*beard*
Negatory. Does the GF2 even have onboard T&L? You have to have it to run. Not only that, your ram would cause the game to run soooooooooooooooo slowly, and late game with your proc would bog down hard, assuming it would even run (which I don't think it would)

Save your money for pc upgrades ;)

Rur0ni

Ouch at those specs.

Anyway, I beat epic in 8 hours and 30 mins. Time Victory. Gonna play it again, taking a bit more time though to get settled, and save my units, and go to war early and expand my empire.

+Aliken+ said:
AMD 1.2
Geforce 2 32Mb
256 RAM.

Whats the verdict?

If it won't run on my machine:
- ASUS K7V mb
- AMD Athlon 850
- 384 RAM
- 4x AGP GeForce2 GTS Hercules video card (64MB)

then it def. won't run on yours... sorry

im not so sure about my machine though... i think it will be able to handle it graphically...it just might be slow in AI response due to my lower processor speed.

if you go out and get the game.. let me know how it goes. ;)

SickBoy

Unlike Civ 2, I haven't played Civ 3 to death, so I think I'll do that before I get Civ 4. Sounds like some nasty bugs, so I'm sort of happy to do that.

Slo

Civ 3 was my first Civ, and I loved the hell out of it, but the general consensus is that Civ3 is the weakest in the series.

Dez

my main gripe: where is the big-ass manual? i loved reading the civ1, 2, and 3 manuals.. now they give us a "quick guide".. :(

EDIT: i guess they're on the cd :p but still it's not the same.

Bregor

Dez said:
my main gripe: where is the big-ass manual? i loved reading the civ1, 2, and 3 manuals.. now they give us a "quick guide".. :(

? The game has a 224 page manual.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well, I went and bought it, it was an "Educational" purchase.. or so I told myself :lol

Anyway, played through the tutorial, and yes the guy did look pretty creepy

Afterwards I started going through the basics in the civilpedia...

The Internet Icon is of Al Gore :lol

Lots of concepts to understand, but I figure i'll take it slow, maybe play through the tutorial again and go at the single player a bit.

ToxicAdam

Dez said:

Oh, you "own" the game. ::wink wink

In my first game, I founded Judaism. Playing as the Germans.

It took four or five turns before I realized what had happened, and laughed my ass off. Can't wait to crush the world with an army of Jewish Panzers.

A couple of questions:

I like to play on Civ 3 with the mode that makes progress go faster. That is, you build faster and get technology faster. So you have tanks by 1500AD.

Also, can you set the game to last forever. That is, if I want to play on a guge map with 12 civs, can I play until the year 3000 when I kill them all?

Oh, one more thing: My laptops graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon X300. 128MB.

Is that a yes?

I also have 2.0GHz and 1GB RAM.

Madame M

Banned
What are your guys' scores for your first games? I'm wondering what an average-like score is. I scored ~30,000 as Victoria (god she rocks) my first go, I don't know if that's good or bad.

Deku

Banned
Slo said:
Civ 3 was my first Civ, and I loved the hell out of it, but the general consensus is that Civ3 is the weakest in the series.
Some Civ2 old timers got too attached to the Civ2 way of playing and hated Civ3 for being different and having a superior AI.

Many people like myself felt Civ3 was a better game as technology simply allowed it to have a better AI, which IMHO is 50% of the single player experience and Civ is still largely a single player game, no matter how many internet options they throw in there.

Don't buy the negativity around Civ3. PlayTheWorld was the worst Civ labeled expansion, but as a whole Civ3 + Conquests XP is just an amazing experience. I spent 4 years playing Civ3, its absolutely mindblowing how addictive it is.

pilonv1

What was so bad about Play The World? I played a fair bit of Civ3 but my interest had waned by the time PTW came out.

Kon Tiki

Banned
pilonv1 said:
What was so bad about Play The World? I played a fair bit of Civ3 but my interest had waned by the time PTW came out.
The main draw was online play. Unforunatley it was broken and flawed.

Edit: I am very tired, I should let someone else explain. Or C/P.

gblues

Banned
Runs OK on my laptop (1.4 ghz celeron D, ATI mobility 9200), although the sound stutters.

Will be trying it out soon on the desktop (AMD Athlon XP 3000+, GeForce 6200) when wifey is done with the laptop (ha!).

Nathan

Just thought I woudl inform those out there that are questioning if a purchase of this game is "worth it" on a slower system.
Im running my
- ASUS K7V mb
- AMD Athlon 850
- 384 RAM
- 4x AGP GeForce2 GTS Hercules video card (64MB)

with the game at 1280x1024 at medium graphics and it is def. play-able and fecking cool as hell.

i will be upgrading very shortly... get myself a new mb/proc/ram/graphics card for around $250 or $300 and ill be rippin along.

anyway...if you haven't gone out and bought this game yet... wtf?!?!

Deku

Banned
siege said:
More people on GAF need to pick this game up. We should try to get a MP game going at some point.

I noticed that its pretty much 4 or 5 people making 10 posts each to push this thread to a 4 pager... :(

BTW did you work out your Radeon issues?

siege

Banned
Deku said:
I noticed that its pretty much 4 or 5 people making 10 posts each to push this thread to a 4 pager... :(

BTW did you work out your Radeon issues?

Yep. Firaxis released a fix yesterday.

DEO3

Is there a way to listen to the music without zooming in on a city? The music has always been one of the greatest aspects of Civ for me, but it's awfully quiet when I play Civ 4.

There's no music at the beginning of the game (other than the music cities play when you zoom up to them), global music doesn't start playing 'till later, once you hit the second age I think.

What is the average time you guys are spending per game? I hear people saying they are completing them in a single sitting which is normally unheard of in Civ games

I think it depends on your playstyle, if you like to micromanage (like myself), a game will last a couple of days - even on the smaller maps. If you like to set the game on auto pilot (like my girlfriend), you can finish in a matter of hours.

Not so much the weakest game in the series, more of that it just didn't bring anything new to the table. Civ3 was really just a Civ2 remake. After Civ2 Firaxis made Alpha Centauri, which was an amazing game that brought the series to a whole new level, but then Civ3 came out and it had none of the innovations seen in Alpha Centauri, therefore it kind of seemed like a step back. It was definatley a better game than Civ2 though, more refined and enjoyable - the Conquests expansion was a lot of fun as well.

DEO3

I haven't really gotten a hang of the new terrain improvements (cottage/windmill/workshop/etc.). In the previous games you mined the hills, and then irrigated everything else. But irrigation is a lot more restricted in Civ4 so I'm left with all these empty grassland/plains/forest tiles that I don't know what to do with. I mean if I had a city that had no hills nearby then it'd make sense to build some workshops, or if I had a city with no real food source but mountainous terrain then it'd make sense to build some windmills, but none of my cities are like that. They all have a good mix, and so I'm unsure of when and on which tiles I should use workshops and windmills and especialy cottages.

+Aliken+

Victrix said:
Negatory. Does the GF2 even have onboard T&L? You have to have it to run. Not only that, your ram would cause the game to run soooooooooooooooo slowly, and late game with your proc would bog down hard, assuming it would even run (which I don't think it would)

Save your money for pc upgrades ;)

mh, but no upgrades... I'm going the whole way!
1.000€ pc in the making :)

At least It should work fine also for Ceaser 4 when that comes next year ;)

At the moment I'm dying... I want this game soooo badly.

"my main gripe: where is the big-ass manual? i loved reading the civ1, 2, and 3 manuals.. now they give us a "quick guide".. :("

Er, the game comes with a huge manual.

And I'm definitely down for some MP.

Has anyone been able to get their Gamespy account to work in Civ IV. I had an existing account that still lets me log into Gamespy but when typing it into Civ IV it says my username doesn't exist.

anyone had any luck?

i kinda wonder how this game made it out of the door with so many bugs... .. curious.. but I can't stop playing it.. ;)

OH yeah and is anyone else seeing only wheat (food) when looking at the tile resources (either in world map view or city view)?

and what's up with Catherine of the Russians, she keeps calling Lincoln a dirty wanker! i mean wtf?! ;)

element

i live Civ2 a little better. I only started playing today, but this seems limited or more rapid. Like you can't setup caravans or anything in this one. Seems far less on economy and more on land ownership.

Just finished my first game with a space race victory. The game is practically unplayable on my 1GHz / 1GB / Radeon 9200 machine later in the game, hopefully there will be patches that simplify the graphics and fix some off the biggest bugs. Overall the graphics are not as good as in Civ 3, but I guess everything must be 3D these days...

It's hard to say if the game is better or worse than Civ 3. I didn't quite gasp the religion thing, and the culture effect that was in Civ 3 was toned down a lot. The user interface is not as good and I didn't like how the units don't have seperate attack and defence stats any longer. So now I don't like the game as much as I like Civ 3, but about the same thing happened when Civ 3 was released, and it took some time before I realized how much better than Civ 2 it was.

Tabris

I won the game with a diplomatic victory.

I controlled half the globe near the end, so with my 2 good allies, the rest of the nation's votes didn't matter. They all voted against me except for the egyptians and germans. So I continued on so I could CRUSH them for voting against me!!

They probabaly didn't like me after those aztec bastards decided to rebel against me, their OVERLORD, and I nuked their capital!

The german and the egyptians have stayed by my side by way of both fear and friendship!

Picked up the special edition for 35 bucks last night at fry's, and just simply installed on my 1.7 Pentium 4 with 512 Mb of RAM and 9800 Pro (lucky me). Unfortunatly, I got a french tech tree, but oh well, another collector's item i guess.

Game is a bit slow after 3/4 of the game and a fleet of about 20 workers. Of course won with space race, but not before the puny Eygptians and worthless Germans were crushed by my buddhist American armies. Absolute domination on my part.

siege

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:
Picked up the special edition for 35 bucks last night at fry's, and just simply installed on my 1.7 Pentium 4 with 512 Mb of RAM and 9800 Pro (lucky me). Unfortunatly, I got a french tech tree, but oh well, another collector's item i guess.

Game is a bit slow after 3/4 of the game and a fleet of about 20 workers. Of course won with space race, but not before the puny Eygptians and worthless Germans were crushed by my buddhist American armies. Absolute domination on my part.

Go to civ4.com under support and you can have them send you an english poster.

Dez

Teknopathetic said:
"my main gripe: where is the big-ass manual? i loved reading the civ1, 2, and 3 manuals.. now they give us a "quick guide".. :("

Er, the game comes with a huge manual.

And I'm definitely down for some MP.

My copy definitely didn't.. there's a 20 page quick guide booklet, the tech chart, and a 3rd cd with 2 pdf files on it (the full manual in english and french).. maybe because it's canadian, they didn't want to have to print both english and french :(

puck1337

I went to 5 different stores in Winnipeg today, and I could not find this game. I guess it's time to widen my search, because most impressions are pretty glowing.

So yeah, just for anyone on the fence: This game is pretty frigging sweet. I nuked Japan and razed half their country just because in my first game of Civ (ever), they bullied me most of the time. So if I ever play any of you guys, I'd be wary if we've ever butted heads on something.

Dez, hmm...Maybe it does have to do with you being in Canada.

URGENT - I want to knnow if my sis' laptop runs this or not

she meets all the minimum requirements but I'm not sure about the 3D card

checking from the device manager its Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller

it doesnt sound good :(

Dez

How good is everyone at the game? WHat difficulty level? I'd be up for MP too, but i kinda suck. I was playing on warlord and was taking over the world.. but then lost via space race. Had no idea that my main rival, who i left to himself while taking the scrubs, could out produce me on that.

Top Bottom