• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy 12 (NA) Thread

Aeana

Ancestor said:
Is there an estimated time required to do (roughly) everything in the game?

To finish the main story (though I did do a few extra things in that game, but not very many at all), it took me
65 hours
, and to do absolutely everything,
170 hours

Game Rankings is listing that EGM gave FFXII a 9 out of 10... aren't there three reviews though? I guess a 9 was the average of the three or something.

Johnas

brandonh83 said:
Game Rankings is listing that EGM gave FFXII a 9 out of 10... aren't there three reviews though? I guess a 9 was the average of the three or something.

Yeah, it got 8.5, 9.0, and 9.5, for an average of 9.0.

170 hours? Holy.
It's getting shelved when Zelda arrives, temporarily anyway.

Aeana

Ancestor said:
170 hours? Holy.

Yes. Your mileage may vary, of course -- I wasn't rushing by any means, and I figured all of the boss strategies and locations out by myself. But I don't think I could possibly do absolutely everything in the game in less than
130 hours
unless I were cheating.

Johnas

Aeana said:
Yes. Your mileage may vary, of course -- I wasn't rushing by any means, and I figured all of the boss strategies and locations out by myself. But I don't think I could possibly do absolutely everything in the game in less than
130 hours
unless I were cheating.

Cool, thanks for the input and that added clarification. I used to be a completionist, and still am with certain series', but I'm not too worried about doing that this time unless I just happen to have lots of time on my hands in November. I'm actually buying that LE Strat Guide, mainly because it's a habit of mine to buy the guide for every FF, but I'll probably resort to using it later on after the main game if I'm just sick of running around trying to figure out stuff for myself.

mugwhump

Ponn01 said:
I preordered 5. It's the intarnet. You have to believe everything I say. And I can't cancel a preorder. Ever.
:lol
And yet they assume he's telling the truth when he says he downloaded it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
main story takes like 30 hours to complete if you dont do any of the side stuff from what I heard.

what the ****? 150 hours? how do you guys find time for this shit? it's going to take me months to beat this game, and i usually dont do optional side quests.

i guess now that i think of it if i didn't play madden or nba i might have that kind of time for FF. sorry square :(

i did preorder this tonight though! please god let my ps2 make it to march/april when i buy a ps3....

Amir0x

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
what the ****? 150 hours? how do you guys find time for this shit? it's going to take me months to beat this game, and i usually dont do optional side quests.

i guess now that i think of it if i didn't play madden or nba i might have that kind of time for FF. sorry square :(

i did preorder this tonight though! please god let my ps2 make it to march/april when i buy a ps3....

yea, but i think only the most anal completionists will actually play for 150 hours. Even 60~ hours is a lot though.

Red Scarlet

I wouldn't even want to imagine the time to put in for a 100% complete monster list. It seems like it would be very, very high. There's just so many monsters and rare monsters. It would be quite an accomplishment to complete. Maybe you can tell me how long it takes, Ami. :)

Zaptruder

Banned
Supposedly there's a ton of grinding to the game, which artificially inflates the lifespan of the game, even if you're not doing sidequests...

What people have been saying is that, after the starting few hours, the pace of the game is broken up into 5 minute cutscenes, followed by 2 hour dungeon crawls, repeatedly, so the game kinda cheaps out on the story like that.

Which is a bit disheartening... I was hoping for a epic story to go with it... it's been Soooooo long since we've had a single player, numbered FF game.

That's fine by me, I like to play my games not watch them ^_^. Seriously, so long as the combat is a thrill, I don't see why that would be a problem...

Zaptruder said:
Supposedly there's a ton of grinding to the game, which artificially inflates the lifespan of the game, even if you're not doing sidequests...

What people have been saying is that, after the starting few hours, the pace of the game is broken up into 5 minute cutscenes, followed by 2 hour dungeon crawls, repeatedly, so the game kinda cheaps out on the story like that.

Which is a bit disheartening... I was hoping for a epic story to go with it... it's been Soooooo long since we've had a single player, numbered FF game.

I'm sure it'll have an epic story... not that I'm saying that people who have actually played the game is wrong, but I do consistently find myself disagreeing strongly with things I read online to the point that I wonder if I'm playing the same game or watching the same movie they are. So we'll see.

I'm in love with the Nalbina Fortress Underground Prison track. Could be because it was the music that played on the website when it first went up in... 2003? :lol

Error

I like Giza Plains because it sounds like a FFT song, god knows how much I love fft ost.

ozmone plains also rock. all of the 'big' dungeons songs are great imo. a good thing because sometimes you'll be hearing that song for 2 or 3 hours straight :p

Error2k4 said:
ozmone plains also rock. all of the 'big' dungeons songs are great imo. a good thing because sometimes you'll be hearing that song for 2 or 3 hours straight :p

No doubt. I think I'll like the dungeon crawling aspect of the game. I've been playing Vagrant Story some recently, and words cannot describe my love for that game. It didn't really have a super deep or emotionally gripping story, but it was a good story nonetheless and was extremely well told and presented. This is what I expect from FFXII.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Ashe's Theme is so interesting to me. It's so atypical of FF character leitmotifs.

Ashe's Theme doesn't even really sound like a theme to me. It's good, but I don't find it thematic.

Pre order complete! I was thinking of getting a PS3 over this :)lol) but I think I will wait for a price drop next year.

Final Fantasy FTW!

ssoass

Zaptruder said:

Vagrant Story is one big 10+ hour dungeon crawl, and it's one of the very best Square games.
So if the dungeon crawling is reminiscent of Vagrant Story (I know the music definitely will be), I consider that to be a very good thing.
Dungeons are often the most fun parts of RPGs.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
brandonh83 said:
Ashe's Theme doesn't even really sound like a theme to me. It's good, but I don't find it thematic.

One reason why it interests me! It sounds very mysterious and intriguing...and then it just stops and completely changes.

Error

dungeon crawling is SO awesome, I love dungeons full of traps and stuff. long big dungeons woot woot.

Johnas

Error2k4 said:
I like Giza Plains because it sounds like a FFT song, god knows how much I love fft ost.

<3

It's funny, I've read a lot of critical comments about the music, but it seems people like us who appreciate Sakimoto's music like it just fine. I don't understand why more people don't, I find his tunes pretty memorable and they fit Matsuno's games perfectly.

I haven't heard much of FFXII's music yet, but what I have heard I like just fine.

Error2k4 said:
dungeon crawling is SO awesome, I love dungeons full of traps and stuff. long big dungeons woot woot.

Dungeon crawling sucks shit. Story and character development is way more awesome, not to mention exploring towns and cities

Error2k4 said:

Long, tedious, and serves mainly as an exercise to get my levels up and not get stomped by the next boss. What's so awesome, again?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
One reason why it interests me! It sounds very mysterious and intriguing...and then it just stops and completely changes.

Oh I like it... but I just like theme tracks to be theme tracks. I'm sure it'll work in the context of the game. I hated the FFX soundtrack but when I played the game it was like music to my ears, har har.

Error

f u all, dungeon crawling is what makes RPGs fun. who cares about storyline? I can find better stories somewhere else.

dungeon crawling means awesome dungeons full of traps, PHAT LOOT, making your party more powerful and awesome boss fights.

story and cutscenes do not give you anything like that.

Doom_Bringer said:
Dungeon crawling sucks shit. Story and character development is way more awesome, not to mention exploring towns and cities
QFT Besides, I hope it's not too much dungeon crawling because I don't want to be burned out by the time Persona 3 comes out.

Error2k4 said:
f u all, dungeon crawling is what makes RPGs fun. who cares about storyline? I can find better stories somewhere else.

dungeon crawling means awesome dungeons full of traps, PHAT LOOT, making your party more powerful and awesome boss fights.

Like I said, an exercise is getting your party stronger for the next boss. Especially when what you want to do is to just get on with the game, not spend ten minutes backtracking for 'Rusty Key #12' to unlock the blue door. No, that blue door.

Error2k4 said:

Since when have FFs had that? Btw I never played Vagrant Story.

I do play FF games primarily for story, and they've hardly let me down. But FFXII seems to be more along the lines of Vagrant Story -- there's a good story there, but it isn't as frequent as in the other FF games. And that's fine with me, I welcome it. I think any RPG should have a good story to go along with it. I like dungeon crawlers, but they're not at the top of my favorite gameplay style list.

Like I said, an exercise is getting your party stronger for the next boss. Especially when what you want to do is to just get on with the game, not spend ten minutes backtracking for 'Rusty Key #12' to unlock the blue door. No, that blue door.

Sounds fun to me. It's just old school stuff like Gauntlet, and I love me some goddamn Gauntlet. Find the key, proceed. Take out monsters and shit to build your dudes. FF presentation and story along with it.

Error

if you want to spend 10 hours making your party stronger that's your way of playing (I like doing low level runs), what would be the point of the game if it was only town--->story---->town---->story like doom bringer suggest

why would I want to play a game like that?

Since when have FFs had that? Btw I never played Vagrant Story.
I never said it did, it's just that I like dungeons with traps.

Dungeon crawling might be a whole lot more fun if the fights actually represented a challenge. As is, I rate many dungeons 'enjoyability' on how fast it takes to finish your average fight and move on.

if you want to spend 10 hours making your party stronger that's your way of playing (I like doing low level runs), what would be the point of the game if it was only town--->story---->town---->story like doom bringer suggest

Dungeons are anathema to anyone who likes low level runs. What are you talking about?

Error

Pureauthor said:
Dungeons are anathema to anyone who likes low level runs. What are you talking about?
hm not really, maybe low leveled was the wrong term. more like I dont grind or try not to unless the game force me.

but still PHAT LOOT, TRAPS! awesome!

Error2k4 said:
hm not really, maybe low leveled was the wrong term. more like I dont grind or try not to unless the game force me.

but still PHAT LOOT, TRAPS! awesome!

Oh, yes. The loot. The loot is awesome, I agree.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Pureauthor said:
Dungeon crawling might be a whole lot more fun if the fights actually represented a challenge. As is, I rate many dungeons 'enjoyability' on how fast it takes to finish your average fight and move on.

I think he also likes the challenge of a good dungeon while being low leveled.

Error2k4 said:

billy-madison04-thumb.jpg

Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!

Aeana

Error2k4 said:
main story takes like 30 hours to complete if you dont do any of the side stuff from what I heard.

Maybe if you don't fight anything and never explore any of the maps...

Top Bottom