• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy 12 (NA) Thread

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Aeana said:
Maybe if you don't fight anything and never explore any of the maps...
scarlet reached the place before the last place in 27 hours or something iirc. in her second playthrough.

Aeana

Error2k4 said:
scarlet reached the place before the last place in 27 hours or something iirc. in her second playthrough.

Then she knew exactly what she was doing and probably didn't go anywhere she didn't need to go (thus not exploring maps) which does make it believable. The areas are pretty big, though, and if you do any exploring at all, you're going to add a lot of time to your clock.

I don't really think anybody would have a time that low on their first playthrough, though. Even on subsequent playthroughs, one of which I rushed for the story, it still took me longer than that because for some reason I feel compelled to go everywhere. :\

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
brandonh83 said:
I can beat FFVI in around 16 hours or something, I think that was one of my best playtimes.

FFVI is very easy to do a speed run on because of the nonlinearity and the grinding of the dino thingies.

Let me think, you mean the dinosaurs in the forest area? Seems to ring a bell... I just remember there being a T-Rex or something in a small patch of forest. :lol

brandonh83 said:
Let me think, you mean the dinosaurs in the forest area? Seems to ring a bell... I just remember there being a T-Rex or something in a small patch of forest. :lol
T-Rex and perhaps more importantly Brachosaurs, which were the best source for economizers, iirc.

AndoCalrissian said:
T-Rex and perhaps more importantly Brachosaurs, which were the best source for economizers, iirc.

Oh yeah the Brachosaurs. I honestly don't remember much of FFVI, even though it's my second or third favorite in the series.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
FFXII_case1.jpg

I bugged the Gamestop guy until he gave me one of the demo cases they had. I gotta say, for a US case, the special edition tin one is looking pretty damn swank. Between this and Gears of War, who the hell needs natural sunlight?

NomarTyme

tedtropy said:
FFXII_case1.jpg

I bugged the Gamestop guy until he gave me one of the demo cases they had. I gotta say, for a US case, the special edition tin one is looking pretty damn swank. Between this and Gears of War, who the hell needs natural sunlight?

:0

Y2Kev

tedtropy said:
FFXII_case1.jpg

FINAL FANTASY XII LET ME TOUCH YOU

tedtropy

brandonh83 said:
Oh **** if I could do that I'd just cancel my LE preorder and buy the normal edition. :lol

Heh, yeah, there's nothing on the case to make it appear like it's a demo/dummy one. Alas, no goodies on the inside and you'll miss out on the bonus DVD if you get the normal version.

More hot uncensored pixxxx....

FFXII_case3.jpg

FFXII_case2.jpg

I don't care about the bonus DVD really, same with RE4... I'm sure it'll be cool and all, but probably nothing amazing or anything. I just want the case.

How did you go about asking for it? :lol There's plenty of them at my Gamestop too.

tedtropy

brandonh83 said:
I don't care about the bonus DVD really, same with RE4... I'm sure it'll be cool and all, but probably nothing amazing or anything. I just want the case.

How did you go about asking for it? :lol There's plenty of them at my Gamestop too.

I just got chatty with the guy working there, said "hey, you've got a ton of these demo cases, can't I have one?" and he said "it's not as though I'd stop you" and so I walked away with my prize. I probably should've just grabbed them all, took a quick darting look left and right, then burst out the door laughing manically. Alas, I'm a coward.

He gave me some Scarface posters too. I think he wants my junk.

tedtropy said:
I just got chatty with the guy working there, said "hey, you've got a ton of these demo cases, can't I have one?" and he said "it's not as though I'd stop you" and so I walked away with my prize. I probably should've just grabbed them all, took a quick darting look left and right, then burst out the door laughing manically. Alas, I'm a coward.

He gave me some Scarface posters too. I think he wants my junk.

Haha, that's awesome.

tedtropy

Just sweet talk your local Gamestop clerk if you can, as the case is awesome. It's Halo 2 CE levels of awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
Does the regular edition come with a non-shitty boxart? Does it come in a tin? Does it have a bonus DVD? If the answer is 'no', then the 60 dollar version must be supported since it's an ORDER OF MAGNITUDE better. :D

Red Scarlet

Aeana said:
Then she knew exactly what she was doing and probably didn't go anywhere she didn't need to go (thus not exploring maps) which does make it believable. The areas are pretty big, though, and if you do any exploring at all, you're going to add a lot of time to your clock.

I don't really think anybody would have a time that low on their first playthrough, though. Even on subsequent playthroughs, one of which I rushed for the story, it still took me longer than that because for some reason I feel compelled to go everywhere. :\

The time in question is file 03:
ff12beattime.png

That's right before
that biggass tower
. I still got lost a few times about where to go or what to do, but yeah, I didn't go and explore many places I didn't need to.

And it's why I very reluctantly say an average playtime in any game. Everyone plays them differently; you never know who will explore every inch of all areas, of some areas then stop, or zoom through at an incredible pace. When Wario64 said he was over halfway through DQ8 in 27 hours, that amazed me. The average time is completely different for everyone, and as such, I personally have no clue how long any game "should" or "may" take someone.

ultimagarden has a time of 7h16m16s at the last save, I sure as hell don't know how that was accomplished, or how many times it took someone to go through in that time. I'd certainly never think that was a first time through, and going by what people posted in the Japan version topic, the times were rather varied. There is/has never been an "average" playtime in games as far as I know, there are too many variables. I could guess around 55 hours for a first time, but that's based on my guess as to how often someone will do this or that, which will of course be very different from player to player. Just look at your reply, you do things differently than probably anyone else. It takes however long it takes. :)

Weird, Amir0x's tag changed back!

Johnas

Scarlet, what does the large gray number mean at the left of each file?

Red Scarlet said:
The 02/03/06/12/28? Just the file number from the memory card.

Okay, I just got confused seeing them all together like that.

Aeana

Red Scarlet said:
And it's why I very reluctantly say an average playtime in any game. Everyone plays them differently; you never know who will explore every inch of all areas, of some areas then stop, or zoom through at an incredible pace. When Wario64 said he was over halfway through DQ8 in 27 hours, that amazed me. The average time is completely different for everyone, and as such, I personally have no clue how long any game "should" or "may" take someone.

Yes, I suppose you're right. I have heard of people spending something like 250 hours on FFX, and I can't even imagine what they would be doing that would take them that long.

ultimagarden has a time of 7h16m16s at the last save, I sure as hell don't know how that was accomplished, or how many times it took someone to go through in that time. I'd certainly never think that was a first time through, and going by what people posted in the Japan version topic, the times were rather varied. There is/has never been an "average" playtime in games as far as I know, there are too many variables. I could guess around 55 hours for a first time, but that's based on my guess as to how often someone will do this or that, which will of course be very different from player to player. Just look at your reply, you do things differently than probably anyone else. It takes however long it takes. :)

That's nuts... I'd really like to know how they managed such a low time. Much of my longest game was spent
trying to get the strongest halberd, by respawning a chest in Henne Mines, since I missed the opportunity to get it in Nabudis
and
tracking down all 80 rare monsters
and I have seen people take longer than me to do everything I did, too. I've not finished the game quicker than 45 hours, though, even when rushing. It's just too tempting to attack every enemy I see, for some reason. :\

Shouta

Error2k4 said:
main story takes like 30 hours to complete if you dont do any of the side stuff from what I heard.

50 hours minimum for a first play through even without the mob hunts and etc. I'd estimate that the average player will be finished between 55-70 hours. You might be able to finish the game in about 30 hours on subsequent playthroughs but first timers won't be getting through it that fast.

I'm pretty good with giving average playthrough times =P.

Red Scarlet

Aeana said:
Much of my longest game was spent
trying to get the strongest halberd, by respawning a chest in Henne Mines, since I missed the opportunity to get it in Nabudis
and
tracking down all 80 rare monsters
and I have seen people take longer than me to do everything I did, too.

I don't like how they implemented how you get the strongest weapons. I'll probably never get one. Really dumb if what I read is true on how to get them.

Well, if you have a good idea Shouta, cool.

bluemax

Banned
I got to the end in 70ish hours with maybe 10 hours spent on mob hunts. I'd say it's perfectly do able without sidequests in around 50 hours, especially if you're smart and only level up 3 characters. I spent time leveling up all 6 and that probably slowed me down a lot. I'm thinking if I played the game again in English I could easily do it in about 40-45 without too much effort thanks to knowing good places to earn money and a better understanding of what licenses are good and what licenses are worthless.

Actually I'm half tempted to buy the game now (in English that is) to see if I can actually pull that off. Plus I guess some of the bonus stuff would be cool to check out (ie dungeons I didn't go to
like the one in the forest with the Bomb King, WTF is that place all about
).

Damn you GAF! I wanted Winter break to be all about Zelda and DS games, and now I'm going to buy FFXII.

Aeana

Red Scarlet said:
I don't like how they implemented how you get the strongest weapons. I'll probably never get one. Really dumb if what I read is true on how to get them.

Some of them aren't so bad, like the strongest rod, which is very easy to get. But yeah, some of them are kind of ridiculous, and if I didn't enjoy playing the game so much, I wouldn't have even bothered. Overall, the random treasure is going to frustrate a lot of people, and really does kind of stink, but I don't mind it so much

Red Scarlet

Aeana said:
Some of them aren't so bad, like the strongest rod, which is very easy to get. But yeah, some of them are kind of ridiculous, and if I didn't enjoy playing the game so much, I wouldn't have even bothered. Overall, the random treasure is going to frustrate a lot of people, and really does kind of stink, but I don't mind it so much

Well from what I read
it was mainly about not getting certain pots/chests throughout the game, then you could get the strong weapon in a different chest. With the amount of pots/chests in this game, there is no way I'd figure them out on my own at all.

Shouta

Red Scarlet said:
Well, if you have a good idea Shouta, cool.

It's pretty easy to figure out. In general, most of players will have to grind for money and explore areas to get through them since they don't know the layouts. That takes a huge chunk of time and prevents a sub 50 hour run first playthroughs. People won't know how to deal with enemies either and that may cause a few problems too.

Y2Kev

Well, 15 days left. Awesome is FFXII FFXII is awesome.

The five year wait is finally coming to an end. 13 year old Kev's pyreflies will be released and sent to the farplane.

Aeana

Red Scarlet said:
Well from what I read
it was mainly about not getting certain pots/chests throughout the game, then you could get the strong weapon in a different chest. With the amount of pots/chests in this game, there is no way I'd figure them out on my own at all.

Yes, that is the
strongest halberd. You have to leave one pot in Rabanastre Palace, one in the Nalbina prison area, one near Dalan's house and the big square of pots on the Phon Coast alone. If you mess up, you have a very low chance of getting it from a pot in Henne Mines.
. It's probably the most annoying one to get.

Red Scarlet

Shouta said:
It's pretty easy to figure out. In general, most of players will have to grind for money and explore areas to get through them since they don't know the layouts. That takes a huge chunk of time and prevents a sub 50 hour run first playthroughs. People won't know how to deal with enemies either and that may cause a few problems too.

Well, from what I've seen, the times have been so sporadic in everything, nothing seems to be an accurate figure. To me, anyway.

Chrono

Banned
I really don't mean to derail this thread so I apologize in advance but it's a Final Fantasy one and this has been driving me crazy so I've got to ask this really stupid question.

Final Fantasy IV Advance - the cover, which one is cecil and which is kain? dammit the former is a dark night so I'm thinking the dude on the left.. but he has a spear thingy and not a sword so it must be kain right...? then again that would mean it has to be kain in the logo? >_>; these two fan arts I found on the net don't help either because both characters are covered in armor up to their faces (like they are in the games too) - something only one is doing on the cover. again sorry for the OT post...

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ff4acecilzl4.jpg
http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ff4akainnc2.jpg

B.K.

Chrono said:
Final Fantasy IV Advance - the cover, which one is cecil and which is kain? dammit the former is a dark night so I'm thinking the dude on the left.. but he has a spear thingy and not a sword so it must be kain right...? then again that would mean it has to be kain in the logo? >_>;]

Kain is the one on the left on the boxart. Kain is the Dragoon and uses a spear. Yes, he is the one in the logo.

Aeana said:
Yes, I suppose you're right. I have heard of people spending something like 250 hours on FFX, and I can't even imagine what they would be doing that would take them that long.

With ten it's easy. Finishing the game + doing all ultimate weapon sidequests (including hours upon endless hours of blitzball) + griding for auto-ability mats + grinding arena bosses for stat spheres and sphere levels can easily take that long. If your goal is to beat Nemesis with a well-equipped party, and you enjoy playing around with the high-end customization system, it's easy to put in tons of hours.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
The five year wait is finally coming to an end. 13 year old Kev's pyreflies will be released and sent to the farplane.

That's still so ****ing weird.

teiresias

Chrono said:
I really don't mean to derail this thread so I apologize in advance but it's a Final Fantasy one and this has been driving me crazy so I've got to ask this really stupid question.

Final Fantasy IV Advance - the cover, which one is cecil and which is kain? dammit the former is a dark night so I'm thinking the dude on the left.. but he has a spear thingy and not a sword so it must be kain right...? then again that would mean it has to be kain in the logo? >_>; these two fan arts I found on the net don't help either because both characters are covered in armor up to their faces (like they are in the games too) - something only one is doing on the cover. again sorry for the OT post...

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ff4acecilzl4.jpg
http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ff4akainnc2.jpg

Amano hardly qualifies as "fan art."

Johnas

Apologies if this is old news, but I was in GS today and the manager told me they've stopped pre-orders of the regular edition, and the Collector's Edition pre-order would only last another day or two. He said there's been more demand than they anticipated.

So anybody who wants the CE might want to pre-order ASAP. I don't know for sure, but that makes me think they won't have any CEs for sale to the general public. Not positive on that though.

Ancestor said:
Apologies if this is old news, but I was in GS today and the manager told me they've stopped pre-orders of the regular edition, and the Collector's Edition pre-order would only last another day or two. He said there's been more demand than they anticipated.

So anybody who wants the CE might want to pre-order ASAP. I don't know for sure, but that makes me think they won't have any CEs for sale to the general public. Not positive on that though.

I just called my local Gamestop and they told me the same thing. I'm a bit annoyed as I wanted the regular edition, but I guess I won't complain too much. after all it is ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE better.

Simo

I guess it's also worth pointing out that EB/GameStop also have the SKU now for the LE guide and are taking preorders. I went ahead and preordered one though last week, what with the 20% discount and all.

The LE guide incidentally comes with a 95 page artbook while the guide itself will come with 1 of 6 different covers with both the guide and book packaged in a folio like folder.:)

95 PAGES?!?!?!?

Okay I'm definitely getting that shit. I wonder if it comes with a poster...

edit: damn, it's $30 and I need that for Castlevania... *shakes fists at all the damn games coming out in the next few months*

Johnas

Yeah, I pre-ordered that CE guide too a while back. I hesitated, but it sounded too good to pass up.

In total I've spent $99.25 on FFXII with taxes. :lol

:|

Top Bottom